did super just confirm that universe 6 has 4 galaxies?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

flashback0180
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

did super just confirm that universe 6 has 4 galaxies?

Post by flashback0180 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:03 pm

Take a look at the orbs in whis's hands. At first glance you can see 3 huge galaxies in the universe.

(scanlation removed)

But if you observe closely you can also notice other smaller white spots in it. Implying that there are other galaxies in the distant regions of the universe

So what are your thoughts on this?

Blackstripe
Regular

Re: did super just confirm that universe 6 has 4 galaxies?

Post by Blackstripe » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:41 pm

It shows three, not four, and yes, many more in the background. I wouldn't take it too literally. It's just to show how some universes are identical and others are very different.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:11 pm

Who knows? The anime version of Super hasn't followed the manga all that closely

That said, I do believe the 7th universe has only 4 galaxies because of what is written in the guides, and how there is nothing explicitly contradicting that.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Saiyan007
Regular

Post by Saiyan007 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:17 pm

The last episode of Super actually confirmed that the db universe has more than 4 galaxies

This picture shows a clusters of galaxies

Even the scan you posted in the OP shows more than 4 galaxies

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:10 pm

I don't think details like this can be taken as definitively confirming anything. Most likely the artists are just told to draw scenes of "space" without guidelines for specific details. It's the same as how Super has sometimes shown DB Earth as having real world landmasses, even though this doesn't jibe with the landmasses seen previously in the main series or in maps featured in guides, video games, etc.

The thing to always keep in mind about DB's "galaxies" is that they're divided up according to the cardinal directions, are defined as the domains overseen by specific gods, and are all squeezed into the bottom half of a gigantic snow globe, right below Hell but above the Demon World. In other words, they don't really match up too well with the real world concept of "galaxies" and it's best to think of the two as separate things. Saying "hey, this picture features things that look like real world galaxies, therefore they must be DB galaxies" is missing the point.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Saiyan007
Regular

Post by Saiyan007 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:45 pm

See thats the thing with author's intent we have no idea what they're thinking when they're drawing the scenes.

That's why I go off visuals that in case show a cluster of galaxies unless some statements in the show say otherwise the DB universe is just like our own

Also I take guidebooks with a grain of salt tbh we have no idea how involved Toriyama was involved in it

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:16 pm

But terms like "North/South galaxy" are used in the manga, are they not?
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Saiyan007
Regular

Post by Saiyan007 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:25 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:But terms like "North/South galaxy" are used in the manga, are they not?
Yes but as talked about time and time again the word galaxy is used a bit different in the Japanese culture.

Super implies there's a cluster of galaxies

Professor Gohan

Post by Professor Gohan » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:04 pm

North Kaio is "God of the northern galaxies."

That's the simple way to look at it.

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:11 pm

At this point we don't really know how many galaxies are in the dbzverse but the universe should be the same size as ours as least since there's nothing that been said about it size in canon.

Speedster
Regular

Post by Speedster » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:33 am

I don't think that the galaxies in the Dragonball universe are similar in size to those in the real universe. They may have the same spiral shape but you cannot tell about their size. They may be just 4 but huge ones. In Jaco the Galactic patrolman it says "this very very wide galaxy". So it is likely not an ordinary galaxy with "just" 100,000 light years diameter but a much bigger one - possibly a 40 billion light years diameter. For the record the real universe has a diameter of about 92 billion light years.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:01 pm

Wasn't it said in Jaco that the galaxy had 200 billion stars? (The Milky Way IRL has around 400 billion)

Bacon Skittles
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bacon Skittles » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:26 pm

I'm hoping that's actually the remains of the South Galaxy from the Broly movie, so this could be the movie/GT universe.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:42 pm

I think the term galaxy in DB is better be replaced with are/quadrant (or similar terms), where each of the 4 area/quadrant is composed of clusters of galaxies (in this case, oir real life galaxies).
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:57 pm

I don't understand why people are so dead set against the idea that Dragon Ball's universe is a snowglobe with four galaxies in it. Why are we trying to apply real-life celestial phenomena to it again?
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Blackstripe
Regular

Post by Blackstripe » Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:55 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:I don't understand why people are so dead set against the idea that Dragon Ball's universe is a snowglobe with four galaxies in it. Why are we trying to apply real-life celestial phenomena to it again?
Because it doesn't seem to be the case. We see clearly there are many galaxies in the scene from Super. Other than the Daiz, there really isn't much to show a universe of only four galaxies.

SSJ2FutureGohan
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2FutureGohan » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:03 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:I don't understand why people are so dead set against the idea that Dragon Ball's universe is a snowglobe with four galaxies in it. Why are we trying to apply real-life celestial phenomena to it again?
From what I've seen, to overhype SSG, Beers, and Whis.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:21 pm

Who knows? I'm still going with the 4 galaxies thing until Toriyama writes something that explicitly contradicts it.

Friezacooler
Regular

Post by Friezacooler » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:08 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:
Who knows? I'm still going with the 4 galaxies thing until Toriyama writes something that explicitly contradicts it.
He basically did but there are proply also other instances in which more galaxies have been shown or hinted at. He also said that the DB universe is infinitely expanding in which Herms claimed he probs meant the franchise, but the infinitely bit won't make sense then I guess. If that was the case it would be 4 infinitely expanding galaxies.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:15 pm

Pretty sure he meant in terms of writing like Herms said.