Parts TFS did better than actual anime?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

coola
I Live Here

Parts TFS did better than actual anime?

Post by coola » Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:28 pm

Which scenes/aspects of anime were handled better by TFS in your opinion?;

Characters:
- Vegeta character and his interactions with others, i love how much over the top he is, to the point of literally achieving SSJ by whining and crying, and other characters just ignore or make fun of him (SEspecially Goku, who just hear Vegeta goes "blah, blah" whenever he boasts about his power)
- Mr. Popo, in actual anime/manga we don't know much about him, and in anime, he somehow manages to defend himself from SSJ Goten and Trunks attacks, despite being told to be weaker than Kami, he was in Lookout way before Kami arrived, so it make sense, that TFS turned him into fearsome all powerful being, who even Shenron respects.
- Never liked that scene where Goku punched Gohan in Kami Lookout to stop him from helping Piccolo, it actually made sense for Goku, to just tell Goku he is too weak, and even Piccolo wouldn't let him go, and he is smarter than him
- Reasons why Kami didn't want to fuse with Piccolo, hesitating to lose his free will
- Goku hit his head as a baby and was raised in woods by himself, until 12, so, with all respect, it kinda made sense for him, to be little more stupid and naive than average person

Anime:
- Episode of Bardock - scenario was so stupid, it caused Bardock to turn into SSJ, and it all turned out to be just fairy tale turned by Goku, in Gohan dream
- While i really like Kai dub, i really think that characters like Cooler, 18, Dr. Gero, Trunks and Piccolo/Vegeta sound more in character than in Kai
- Movie Cooler 2 had no plotholes and weirdly drawn scenes, in exception to actual movie
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Re: Parts TFS did better than actual anime?

Post by MajinMan » Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:56 pm

Other than fixing some animation errors, nothing.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:41 pm

It's a satire, it doesn't even compete with the anime nor it can dethrone it.

Also, I've found the Saiyan arc funny when I first saw it. It was done professionaly, not your average high school teenage pranksters with bad equipment, but that's it.
It went downhill later, not much funny jokes and they are currently milking the source material over their expectancy in my opinion.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

dario03
Advanced Regular

Post by dario03 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:18 pm

The "Its over 9000" part. It makes so much more sense for Vegeta to have had his scouter upside down and then be bored with a power level of 9001 when Goku powers up.

:D

Oh and Vegeta not figuring out about going to Namek until after Piccolo dies and Goku tells him that the Dragon Balls don't work if Piccolo is dead.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:21 pm

MajinMan wrote:Other than fixing some animation errors, nothing.
Pretty much this. While I find DBZ Abridged immensely entertaining in all regards, I think some people don't realise it's a parody and not meant to be taken seriously in the first place.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:02 pm

Yes, i realise it is a parody (it says so at beginning of every video :wink: ) still, there are some elements i like more than in actual show
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Son Edo
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Edo » Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:11 am

They made fake namek watchable

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:55 am

Son Edo wrote:They made fake namek watchable
This. :P
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:36 am

coola wrote:Which scenes/aspects of anime were handled better by TFS in your opinion?;

- While i really like Kai dub, i really think that characters like Cooler, 18, Dr. Gero, Trunks and Piccolo/Vegeta sound more in character than in Kai
How can the TFS version be more "in character" than Kai when the TFS version have different personalities/characterizations than the original anime?

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:42 am

Um...nothing? It's a parody. The original is the original, and the most legitimate interpretation that exists, not intentionally flanderized lampooning.

It's one thing to say a musical number or so, but let's not forget that the source of TFS is the original show. It's preposterous to say it pulled something off more accurately than what was there in the first place. Funnier, more enjoyable for someone? Maybe. But aside from the setting and basic plot, it's a completely different show, so there's no actual comparison to be made.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Bacon Skittles
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bacon Skittles » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:25 pm

Honestly I thought the whole scene where Kami and Piccolo talk about fusing was very well done. It wasn't meant to be funny at all, and it was definitely one of the most series parts in the whole series. I would definitely put it on a Top 10 list for best DBZA moments.

I think TFS did an amazing job at making Imperfect Cell absolutely bat-shit creepy. His introduction was great and meeting up with Piccolo later was great.

Piccolo: "How...How many people?!"
Cell: "Enough."

That was fucking awesome. No smart ass comment or long explanation.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:43 pm

You know, I haven't posted on this thread until now because I've always been of the belief that DBZA is its own show that just happens to resemble DBZ. It's hard for me to say they did something "better" when their goals are not, and have never been, the same. I LOVE DBZA, but how do you say somebody did something "better" when they were never trying to do the same thing, 'ya know?

So I still feel weird answering the thread's question for that very reason. However, I can think of one thing: I don't think it's unfair to say that DBZA's Nappa proved far, far, far more memorable and likable than he ever was in DBZ. It is rather impressive that the most iconic character of DBZA is one of the more insignificant characters of DBZ.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:05 pm

DBZA Freeza is equally as evil but funnier.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:25 pm

Lanipator does a better Chris Sabat than Chris Sabat.

Also I recall the dialogue between Piccolo and Kami (right before they fuse) to be pretty epic in comparison to the official source material.

In all fairness though it's not right to compare it to any official dub, TFS has a huge advantage in many aspects so it's not really fair. They have complete freedom to rewrite their own scripts (without the scrutiny of inflexible purist fans). They edit the mouth flaps and the scenes themselves to match their vocal performance (effectively making it more like a prelay show) plus they don't have a tight schedule to follow unlike their predecessors. On top of all that they have the benefit of hindsight and can learn from the mistakes of previous dubs.

irreality
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by irreality » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:44 pm

This thread should probably be in fan works.

Anyway,I like it as a quick summary of the series. I know it is a parody, but I can cover a lot of the points and animation in the series quickly and laugh at it. I'm not sure it does things better, some things are very different: their Goku is not like Goku at all, but I like his fun, bubbly DBZA self and most of the jokes I laugh the most at are his lines -- he is my favorite. That doesn't mean I want real Goku to be that way, so it isn't exactly "better", but real Goku is not my favorite in DBZ.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:05 pm

irreality wrote:...their Goku is not like Goku at all...
I don't know that I'd use the phrase "at all." Granted, TFS went in a completely different direction with some characters than the source material (with Mr. Popo being an excellent example), but I'd say their take on Goku is similarish to his "real" counterpart. It seems to me that they took the character traits that were both already there and lent themselves to comedy, and toned those traits up for comedy's sake, while toning his less comedic traits down a bit.

So, DBZA Goku is more comedy-focused, but I wouldn't say he's a completely different person. It's more so that DBZA Goku is a version of Goku's more childish, combat-loving side that has been exaggerated for comedy's sake.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

irreality
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by irreality » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:34 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote: So, DBZA Goku is more comedy-focused, but I wouldn't say he's a completely different person. It's more so that DBZA Goku is a version of Goku's more childish, combat-loving side that has been exaggerated for comedy's sake.
I think you are being a bit nitpicky about my words, but I do think he is a very different character in DBZA. Real Goku, although not book learned and street smart, is not actually stupid, just sort of naive and carefree. DBZA Goku is both stupid and living in a childish fantasy land/borderline delusional. Those aren't bad things, but I don't think they are the same character. DBZA is more like a martial arts Forrest Gump, while Real Goku is a just a grown up wild child. I don't think DBZA Goku likes combat more than Real Goku (that would be difficult), for example. I think they are exagerrating a stereotypical characteristic of Goku to the point of parody.

I wouldn't say the same thing of DBZA Vegeta vs. real Vegeta, for example. I think DBZA Vegeta is pretty similar personality wise to normal Vegeta -- a bit hair trigger and much wittier, but mostly the same person.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:13 pm

Honestly, there are several points where I can recall TFS handling the story better than Toriyama did. Call it sacrilegious. I don't care. Of course, the only problem is, I can't really think of what most of them are right now. It's been a long day. :D

I do recall being very impressed with Shenlong asking whether they would like him to short-circuit the Saiyan space pods. It's a very creative and obvious workaround that, quite honestly, should have been considered and dealt with. It just annoys me when characters don't do things they in all honesty and common sense should (*cough* Cell arc *cough*). So, basically, things like that where they have the characters act smarter or at least call attention to things that should have been handled more intelligently.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:42 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:I do recall being very impressed with Shenlong asking whether they would like him to short-circuit the Saiyan space pods. It's a very creative and obvious workaround that, quite honestly, should have been considered and dealt with. It just annoys me when characters don't do things they in all honesty and common sense should (*cough* Cell arc *cough*). So, basically, things like that where they have the characters act smarter or at least call attention to things that should have been handled more intelligently.
I agree completely, and I've always thought DBZA Shenlong to be particularly funny because, how appropriate--and hilarious--that he, of all characters, should be the one to call out other characters on the impracticality of their wishes and actions. It seems that TFS's running gag with Shenlong is that he's always pointing out how the wishes don't make sense, and that there are always more effective wishes for every predicament that he has been summoned for. His grumpy attitude compliments the running gag perfectly.

Avenged
Advanced Regular

Post by Avenged » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:48 pm

As others have stated, nothing...it's a parody.
Dragon Blog Z - A Dragon Ball Z Community