Unofficial New DB Series Dragonball Absalon Episode 1

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Unofficial New DB Series Dragonball Absalon Episode 1

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:58 pm

Malik_DBNA wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:Absalon feels like it was made for the DB fans who like all flash and no substance. The ones who hate it when Dragon Ball has any real type of story or depth to it.
I.e. Broly fans
Show them the message he sent you regarding your review of Absalon
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:18 pm

Malik_DBNA wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:Absalon feels like it was made for the DB fans who like all flash and no substance. The ones who hate it when Dragon Ball has any real type of story or depth to it.
I.e. Broly fans
I'm a Broly fan precisely because I love a story with substance, ironically. His movies sucked, as did his entire backstory, but that LSSJ form (1st movie) is amazing. Its personality, power, and design is something not seen anywhere else in this series before. His status as a "legendary" SSJ and base form just scream potential with the proper re-envisioning. Though... not in a modern DB story.
To be fair, Dragon Ball isn't exactly well-known for its depth and deep story-telling.

People like Absalon because it has a dark tone and intrigue. Fans of it probably favor the Cell saga and stories like History of Trunks and Bardock - Father of Goku. The people who claim it's better than Super probably can't stand how light-hearted and campy the series became.

Absalon sort of gives them a "what-if" scenario, where they can visualize how the show would be if it was more serious, which is something that simply appeals in the west.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Helios518
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Helios518 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:47 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote: To be fair, Dragon Ball isn't exactly well-known for its depth and deep story-telling.

People like Absalon because it has a dark tone and intrigue. Fans of it probably favor the Cell saga and stories like History of Trunks and Bardock - Father of Goku. The people who claim it's better than Super probably can't stand how light-hearted and campy the series became.

Absalon sort of gives them a "what-if" scenario, where they can visualize how the show would be if it was more serious, which is something that simply appeals in the west.
This would probably be the only good reason If I were to like Absalon but the cons heavily outweigh the pros.
All this screams out fan service (not the good type)
Why I use "Geran" instead of "Jiren"

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:59 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:
To be fair, Dragon Ball isn't exactly well-known for its depth and deep story-telling.
So? Dragon Ball still put effort into it's storytelling and still told a good story. You don't need to be deep or have super amounts of depth to tell a good story. Toriyama put effort on his characters and writing. Absalon has none of that if you ask me.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:24 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:
So? Dragon Ball still put effort into it's storytelling and still told a good story. You don't need to be deep or have super amounts of depth to tell a good story. Toriyama put effort on his characters and writing. Absalon has none of that if you ask me.
I agree with this, but your original point was that Absalon was made for a certain group of DBZ fans who "hate it when Dragon Ball has any real type of story of depth to it." These particular fans probably wouldn't even be aware enough of any of this depth to hate it. =P
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:59 am

Malik_DBNA wrote:
I.e. Broly fans
Please stop that Malik, I love your doujinshi too much to see you as a person that does that terrible over-generalizing. Ironically this is were I ask you to put more thought into it.

I actually thought the episode was somehow more enjoyable than the first two.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Malik_DBNA
Advanced Regular

Post by Malik_DBNA » Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:31 am

Cetra wrote:
Malik_DBNA wrote:
I.e. Broly fans
Please stop that Malik, I love your doujinshi too much to see you as a person that does that terrible over-generalizing. Ironically this is were I ask you to put more thought into it.

I actually thought the episode was somehow more enjoyable than the first two.
Not so much as over-generalizing as making a personal comparison. The vast majority of Broly fans I've come across mostly only like Broly "Cuz he's a super strong bad ass". They give no real validity to their argument as to why they like him so much beyond his 'flash'. Quit frankly, there is really nothing about Broly with much substance, in my personal opinion, so perhaps in a way they cannot be blamed for that. But I make no attempt to hide it: I do not like Broly at all, and I am with the majority of Team Four Star when I say I believe he is EVERYTHING that is wrong with Dragon Ball.

As for the episode, looking at it objectively, this is probably his best episode for a few reasons. 1) The episode was mostly a fight scene between Kosho and Gohan, that left him with little to do in the way of dialogue save for the first part of the episode. 2) He implemented a, dare I say, 'cool' plot device in Gohan being able to absorb energy from his surroundings. However, someone else brought up that there is likely little to do in the way of character development in this one, as it is most likely a macguffin just to make Gohan stronger. 3) He actually explained something that was nagging at many - he explained where the Absalon Saiyans came from. But again, as I stated earlier, Mellavelli took the ultimate cop-out by saying that a platoon abandoned Planet Vegeta as it was destroyed instead of going the somewhat cooler, more original route of saying that the Absalonians were collecting and cloning 'Super' Versions of Saiyans. 4) I actually like Kosho's voice actor. His voice sounds really good.

Art wise, I mean what else can I say? Being a fan animated series that is about 4 years old, I would expect an increase in the overall quality. But the overall quality has increased very little or not at all. The story and writing is still disjointed, clunky, campy, and sterotypical of DB fanfiction when focused around Saiyans. Suddenly every Saiyan has a tail and is a Super Saiyan, despite the Saiyan race going over 1000 years without a single Super Saiyan ever emerging. Not only that, but now they are all reaching SSJ3 at the minimum. The glaring audio issues are still there and have barely improved (Aside from Volume, Cyborg's voice and voice effects change 3-4 times over the course of his dialogue), the animation is lazy and unrefined in SEVERAL scenes (a lack of depth and perspective in several scenes, and did you notice the explody mountain that just kinda... FROZE there?!), all of the canon characters are OOC, the world is OOC, and as I've said a hundred times before, this is a Naruto/Bleach/Street Fighter hybrid with a Dragon Ball skin slapped on it.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:49 am

I was just looking up dragonball stuff and saw Absalon 3 was up, thought he quit. I did find the robot interesting. Breakout star perhaps? Overall, meh.

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:08 am

I think Broly as a whole is just a character who was born as a psychopath, and clinches on to something he remembers from his early years, and the legendary ssj blood just makes it that much worse. Perhaps the lssj blood is what made him insane in the first place.
Most people that like Broly are into horror films, just mindless killers.
I don't hate the Broly character or really like it at all, but as far as his character goes, he doesn't have to have a reason, hes a psychopath that kills that's held a grudge from his infant days. He's probably the type of person that would hold a grudge against you for spilling his coffee, and hunt you down to the ends of the earth for as long as it takes to kill you. Goku was just the first person to piss him off, and he held it against him because he is insane, he needs no reason to kill, as Jason Voorhees, or Freddy have no reason's to kill random people that have nothing to do with them.
If it wasn't Goku he'd just be after someone else for some insane reason.

ParkerAL
Regular

Post by ParkerAL » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:15 am

I must admit, I've enjoyed Dragon Ball Absalon. Definitely not in the way its creator has intended, but I've enjoyed it nonetheless. I love how it treats its ridiculous story so seriously and how dopey all the overly buff characters look. It's basically a sequel to Dragon Ball as imagined by Rob Liefeld. Yes, it's bad, but it's bad in all the right ways. Take that Super Saiyan dude Gohan fought in Episode Three. His crunched up face, his priceless maniacal laugh, his cliched dialogue - everything about him was hilarious. And even though the animation is pretty cruddy overall, some of the fight choreography isn't half bad. If the creator had a better grasp of in-between frames, I might even call it passable.
Favorite Movies: Alien, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, The Thing, Evil Dead, The Land Before Time
Favorite Shows: Cardcaptor Sakura, Doctor Who, Wallace and Gromit, Wakfu, Yu Yu Hakusho
Favorite Manga: Fullmetal Alchemist, Hunter x Hunter, Dragon Ball
Augenis wrote:The power level view into the series has trained a significant portion of the fan base into real life stereotypical members of the Freeza empire, where each and every individual is reduced to a floating number above their heads and any sudden changes to said number are met with shock and confusion.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:37 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSMObU_x2WE

Episode 4.

The comments comparing this series to Super are always an entertaining read.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:51 pm

As usual, this story continues to make absolutely no sense.

He couldn't even decide on a design for that SS4 Saiyan. First his eyes are black, then white. First he has blue fur and long hair, then brown fur with blue hair, then red fur with short brown hair.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:41 pm

Well hey, the Kienzan finally got a kill. I did like that.

ParkerAL
Regular

Post by ParkerAL » Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:57 pm

Oddly enough, I was thinking about Absalon recently. A nonsensical amalgamation of fandom wet dreams, it taps into that special kind of badness that easily loops around to being good. I can't wait to see what stupid twists the fourth episode takes. In fact, I feel a marathon is in order to mark the occasion. :D
Favorite Movies: Alien, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, The Thing, Evil Dead, The Land Before Time
Favorite Shows: Cardcaptor Sakura, Doctor Who, Wallace and Gromit, Wakfu, Yu Yu Hakusho
Augenis wrote:The power level view into the series has trained a significant portion of the fan base into real life stereotypical members of the Freeza empire, where each and every individual is reduced to a floating number above their heads and any sudden changes to said number are met with shock and confusion.

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:07 pm

And as usual... don't know wtf is going on. :problem:
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

ParkerAL
Regular

Post by ParkerAL » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:19 pm

Ugh... what a chore of an episode. I couldn't follow half of the action in the Gotenks/Oozaru fight and the bad guy's Super Saiyan 4 transformation dragged on for what felt like forever. It didn't help that it involved the villains I cared the least about. Why introduce all these generic Saiyans when you had three perfectly good bad guys to begin with? I do have to give that Saiyan who attacked Capsule Corp credit though - it must have taken years of training to master the power of fusing his mustache and sideburns.
DarkPrince_92 wrote:And as usual... don't know wtf is going on. :problem:
Yeah, the plot is a bit of jumbled mess, isn't it? I checked out your tumblr, DarkPrince, and Absalon could learn a thing or two from your animation when it comes to choreographing fights. Nice stuff. :clap:

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:50 am

I'm gonna have to agree with the above posters. I feel like I keep repeating this; Even though I have a lot of respect for Mellavelli because he's animating this on his own, he has a lot to learn in terms of animation/storytelling...and even drawing itself. The action is incredibly hard to follow, a lot of the shots have no sense of flow between them and end up feeling disconnected, and on top of that his drawings themselves are constantly off-model and badly proportioned. And this is all just me speaking about pure aesthetics...the story itself is...not so great IMO.

When this whole thing started I was hoping a lot of these things would improve as he worked on it, but that unfortunately hasn't been the case. But...judging by his facebook posts and his general attitude towards criticism...he doesn't seem like the type to want to improve (Or to take advice that would help that to happen). He seems pretty content with where he's at.
Last edited by Big Momma on Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:10 am

Malik? Malik does not have anything to do with it, Big Momma.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Malik_DBNA
Advanced Regular

Post by Malik_DBNA » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:27 am

Big Momma wrote:I'm gonna have to agree with the above posters. I feel like I keep repeating this; Even though I have a lot of respect for Malik because he's animating this on his own, he has a lot to learn in terms of animation/storytelling...and even drawing itself. The action is incredibly hard to follow, a lot of the shots have no sense of flow between them and end up feeling disconnected, and on top of that his drawings themselves are constantly off-model and badly proportioned. And this is all just me speaking about pure aesthetics...the story itself is...not so great IMO.

When this whole thing started I was hoping a lot of these things would improve as he worked on it, but that unfortunately hasn't been the case. But...judging by his facebook posts and his general attitude towards criticism...he doesn't seem like the type to want to improve (Or to take advice that would help that to happen). He seems pretty content with where he's at.
I can only assume it was a typo, but don't drag me into this disaster lmao!

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:05 am

Malik_DBNA wrote:
Big Momma wrote:I'm gonna have to agree with the above posters. I feel like I keep repeating this; Even though I have a lot of respect for Malik because he's animating this on his own, he has a lot to learn in terms of animation/storytelling...and even drawing itself. The action is incredibly hard to follow, a lot of the shots have no sense of flow between them and end up feeling disconnected, and on top of that his drawings themselves are constantly off-model and badly proportioned. And this is all just me speaking about pure aesthetics...the story itself is...not so great IMO.

I can only assume it was a typo, but don't drag me into this disaster lmao!

Oh crap, it was! I do like the animated stuff for DBNA! :thumbup: Those M-names got me mixed up, hahaha :lol:
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog