PLANNING ON VISITING TORIYAMA @NAGOYA

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Aritz182

Re: PLANNING ON VISITING TORIYAMA @NAGOYA

Post by Aritz182 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:45 am

Kamiccolo9 wrote: you are an asshole
Easy man, I did not insult anyone, so just calm down :thumbup:

FYI, a bottle of good wine is not a gun.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:50 am

Aritz182 wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote: you are an asshole
Easy man, I did not insult anyone, so just calm down :thumbup:

FYI, a bottle of good wine is not a gun.
I am perfectly calm. You are the one who has decided that what you want is more important than respecting the wishes of someone you claim to respect.

No, wine is not a gun. For all he knows, assuming he even looks out the window to see who's knocking, you're just a drunk with a gun in your backpack. Appearances matter. But you clearly don't care about that. You don't just show up at the home of someone you've never met with a bottle of alcohol and expect to be welcomed with open arms. That's just common sense.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Aritz182

Post by Aritz182 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:54 am

Kamiccolo9 wrote: For all he knows, assuming he even looks out the window to see who's knocking, you're just a drunk with a gun in your backpack.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, epic. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:01 am

It's obvious that after reading 3 pages of this thread of everyone telling you to leave the man alone you just kept telling us what you selfishly wanted. Imagine if you (clearly a stranger) have someone from Hollywood you admire so much and decide to show up at one's house with a bottle of wine and a backpack. What do you think the outcome would be? It's logic, man. It's a common sense! Clearly you don't have that, unfortunately.

Either you are having fun playing around with us or you are just being stubborn fool who selfishly won't respect Toriyama's wish.

You are wasting our time here, because you kept saying same thing after we told you not to go there.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:03 am

Aritz182 wrote:Well, it seems that most you guys know Toriyama better than himself for what you have read in a interview made many years ago, or what he is gonna think, like I am trying to poison him or whatever... maybe is what you you would think, but let me get the point of this, you guys are not Toriyama, so let see what happens, if he kicks my balls are gonna be my balls, not yours.
But we're basing our opinions on things that he has actually said and done over the years. It seems that you think you know Toriyama better than himself based on...what?

I am sure he is a shy person, and he is not going to open the door if he sees himself "attacked". But come on, I am sure he had crazy visitors back in the 90s, not now a days. I find it way crazier stoping him while he is walking on the street than knocking on his door.
Wait...you think stopping someone out on the street to talk to them is crazier than going to their private residence unannounced, knocking on their door, and trying to randomly give them a gift?
I do wanna seem any kind of rude to all you guys, I've share my idea, you can be OK with it, or not, doesn't go any further. Even if I knock his door I do not think I am kind of disturbing somehow his nirvana. He just gonna say NO, and that's it. (or thank you)

Anyway, I am gonna keep moving on with my plan, I let you guys know what happened, maybe I end up in Guantanamo.
It wouldn't matter to you if he said no. Because he already HAS said no. Multiple people have said that the man keeps notes outside telling people to leave him alone. That is him saying "No."

PS.
Big Momma wrote: It would be rude and selfish to try to do this after what everyone in the thread has told you.
I did not ask any permission to you, I just shared my idea, I will do whatever I wanna do, even if 10.000.000 people tell not to. It seems kind crazy, cause in an spanish forum everyone is telling me that is such an awesome idea, and worst case scenario, he is not gonna open de door and I will leave the package at his front door.
And that was my suggestion, not permission. I said that, after hearing everyone's (well-educated) opinions on what the best thing to do would be, you decided to disregard what Toriyama probably wants (Again, based on well-educated guesses) and go ahead with your plan. That's fine, it's your decision. Just a very poor one, IMO.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:04 am

Aritz182, it's clear that you came into this expecting validation and encouragement. It speaks volumes that, upon receiving none of this, every response of yours back has been dismissive, rude, indignant... the list goes on and on.

The most basic analysis of what you've said shows that everything about this is about you and for you. None of it is for Toriyama.

(That being said, your own attitude and approach doesn't validate some of the responses, such as Kamiccolo9's approach.)
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Aritz182

Post by Aritz182 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:05 am

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:Imagine if you (clearly a stranger) have someone from Hollywood you admire so much and decide to show up at one's house with a bottle of wine and a backpack. What do you think the outcome would be? It's logic, man. It's a common sense! Clearly you don't have that, unfortunately.
Well, I guess that is your common sense as an american (lucky not all the americans are the same), you may think every one who drinks wine is an alcoholic, and everyone who knocks on your door can shoot you in the head.

Aritz182

Post by Aritz182 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:12 am

VegettoEX wrote:Aritz182, it's clear that you came into this expecting validation and encouragement. It speaks volumes that, upon receiving none of this, every response back has been dismissive, rude, indignant... the list goes on and on.

The most basic analysis of what you've said shows that everything about this is about you and for you. None of it is for Toriyama.

(That being said, your own attitude and approach doesn't validate some of the responses, such as Kamiccolo9's approach.)
I've just shared my idea and tried to argue with people, nothing more, nothing less. Maybe in Spain we have a different view of how a total stranger would see this. As i told you before, in an Spanish forum everyone is encouraging me to do this.

Giving him a "present" or leaving it at his front door it does not seem doing something about me, and for me. I guess we have different point of views, thats all.

Not gonna keep with this discussion since everyone seems to start getting piss-off about it. Just gonna stick to plan and she what happens, I am 99% sure he is not gonna be at his place.

Anyway, thanks everyone for sharing your point of view even we did not mach in most of them. :thumbup:

PS: VegettoEX You said my responses were dismissive, rude and indignant, far from been this true, sorry if you have seen this way, never has been my intention.

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:24 am

This isn't about your culture! This is about the man who was known internationally as the author of a billionaire franchise that wants to have a private life, and it further validates it by posting a sign that says not to bother him. Obviously he has had gifts from (many) fans at the time when he wrote the manga, but now has decided to reject them because he wants to be left alone.

He knows he's a famous person. He knows he has a lot of fans. That means that he needs a space.

This isn't about our culture .This isn't about our view. This is about someone else's perspective.

If I was a famous person, I would rather be left alone because I want my time, not fans'.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:34 am

Aritz182, please keep us posted on what happens! =D
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:41 am

Aritz182 wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:Aritz182, it's clear that you came into this expecting validation and encouragement. It speaks volumes that, upon receiving none of this, every response back has been dismissive, rude, indignant... the list goes on and on.

I've just shared my idea and tried to argue with people, nothing more, nothing less. Maybe in Spain we have a different view of how a total stranger would see this. As i told you before, in an Spanish forum everyone is encouraging me to do this.

Giving him a "present" or leaving it at his front door it does not seem doing something about me, and for me. I guess we have different point of views, thats all.

Not gonna keep with this discussion since everyone seems to start getting piss-off about it. Just gonna stick to plan and she what happens, I am 99% sure he is not gonna be at his place.

Anyway, thanks everyone for sharing your point of view even we did not mach in most of them. :thumbup:

PS: VegettoEX You said my responses were dismissive, rude and indignant, far from been this true, sorry if you have seen this way, never has been my intention.
I know it might be difficult to understand why the idea of trying to give someone a gift, as innocent as it may be intended to be, could be a bad idea - but I think in Toriyama's case especially it's a no-go. He values his privacy to the point of agoraphobia. No matter what the reason, the idea of a stranger turning up at his doorstep is not something that someone like that will appreciate.

From my own perspective, when I was a kid in the 90's, my aunty was a household name on British TV. As my surname isn't all too common, I remember a time when strangers or reporters would look up my family and turn up at the front door or phone up for various reasons, either looking for her, information about her, or to leave gifts. My parents weren't prepared for that sort of thing, and as a result, had to take privacy measures that they still have in place today. It can be incredibly frightening to be on the other side of these things.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:52 am

Aritz182 wrote:Well, it seems that most you guys know Toriyama better than himself for what you have read in a interview made many years ago, or what he is gonna think, like I am trying to poison him or whatever... maybe is what you you would think, but let me get the point of this, you guys are not Toriyama, so let see what happens, if he kicks my balls are gonna be my balls, not yours.
Why even make the thread if you are just fishing for what you want to hear? This is Michael Scott The Office-level lack of self-awareness.
Aritz182 wrote:I am sure he is a shy person, and he is not going to open the door if he sees himself "attacked". But come on, I am sure he had crazy visitors back in the 90s, not now a days. I find it way crazier stoping him while he is walking on the street than knocking on his door.
No, it is decidedly crazier. The street is a public venue, and, assuming you are not stalking him(which you arguably are already), running into him there is innocent. You've both signed the silent social contract that other people are going to be walking down the street with you, with the possibility that other people could potentially come up and talk to you. His house is his private property. His residence. It's not the same.
Aritz182 wrote:I do wanna seem any kind of rude to all you guys, I've share my idea, you can be OK with it, or not, doesn't go any further. Even if I knock his door I do not think I am kind of disturbing somehow his nirvana. He just gonna say NO, and that's it. (or thank you)
And it's incredibly rude and selfish of you to not be mindful of his time. "No harm, no foul" is not a good enough reason to harass him at, again, his residence. And we haven't even brought up the fact that there is a sign explicitly stating no fan mail or unsolicited visitors.
Aritz182 wrote:Anyway, I am gonna keep moving on with my plan, I let you guys know what happened, maybe I end up in Guantanamo.
You are very funny.
Aritz182 wrote:I did not ask any permission to you, I just shared my idea, I will do whatever I wanna do, even if 10.000.000 people tell not to. It seems kind crazy, cause in an spanish forum everyone is telling me that is such an awesome idea, and worst case scenario, he is not gonna open de door and I will leave the package at his front door.
No one is telling you what to do; of course you don't need permission. But, the facts are there. Toriyama is very openly shy(ha!), there is a sign politely telling fans to stay away, and he's old. And, for whatever reason, you think your fandom of Toriyama's work carries more weight than his wishes. If you do this, you are a jerk.

EDIT: In the interest of maybe being helpful, the only conceivable you could get away with this without being rude, or at least the least rude you can possibly be, is to leave the gift at the doorstep and not knock on the door. Of course, this goes back to earlier in the thread where I would wonder what sane person would just open some wine left for him.
Last edited by B on Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:55 am

It does not matter anyway because you will not even have the chance to knock on his door. There is no way you can just go through Toriyama-sans garden and approach his house. I am sure he has a fence or a fortress wall defending his interests.

I also would not say, other than the others, that is is just about you. I hate it, whenever someone says "you are doing this for you alone" (especially considering we really want to get psychological it is impossible to not do something for yourself anyway because everything comes from a personal desire - it is just about how much else there is to it than just that alone) that it is just selfish because I know there clearly is some thought for Toriyama-san behind this. What the others mean though is that you very obviously think way more about your own desire of doing it for the sake of doing it instead of your desire of doing it because you want to show him your respect. And when it comes to that, showing your respect is just special for a person like this. You do not have to get him drunk with a bottle of wine, kidnap him and the show him your shrine. Just waiting for a normal situation in which you might have the chance to greet him, even if there is a chance that that will never happen, is way more respectful. We all would love to thank him for what he has done. But you know what? We already do. We are a) grateful, b) he gets money from us and knows there are people interested in his work c) we leave him alone.
Last edited by Cetra on Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:56 am

The dude's from Spain. He can pretend he can't read the sign. Lol
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

kidhero1000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by kidhero1000 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:07 pm

Be sure to ask Who really Drew Dragon Ball Minus? Was it Toriyama, or did his lazy self have Toyotaro, or Naho Ooishi do it for him?
He devolved into saying only one word. Time to hit the ol' cosmic trail.

Aritz182

Post by Aritz182 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:12 pm

I guess we could redirect this topic to: WHAT CRAZY THING WOULD YOU ASK HIM (OR WANT ME TO ASK)

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:16 pm

I didnt wanna jump in. But....
Aritz182 wrote:lets see if he is at his place, and first, if he opens the door, and second, if he could drawn me a quick draft of Gohan and sing it.
Aritz182 wrote:I guess we could redirect this topic to: WHAT CRAZY THING WOULD YOU ASK HIM (OR WANT ME TO ASK)

There is no problem with wanting to meet your idol. But it seems you have a bigger agenda and that is why you are more persistent on going against other advice. I also wouldn't leave anything at his door because that would seem even weirder to be honest. I think this is more about you than you realize. Again, no problem wanting to meet your idol but this is coming across as heckling him.

I do suggest, if you want a drawing, and express your appreciation is to see if there are any fanmail addresses are ways to contact him via mail. Do you plan to to just go to Japan just to meet him?

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:22 pm

Aritz182 wrote:I guess we could redirect this topic to: WHAT CRAZY THING WOULD YOU ASK HIM (OR WANT ME TO ASK)
If he doesn't call the cops or shoot you from his window,ask him why Vegeta never went Ssj3.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:24 pm

I'm just curious, if you see the sign saying "No fans, No gifts, No nada" Why would you think he's going to have a change of heart to a random, back pack-wearing, Alcohol drinking spaniard?
Big Green: Do whateveryoulike, Ghos
Broly: haha He calls me a goohst, but IMMMD DA DEVVVVAAALLL! RAHAHAHAHA!
-----
Trunks: "Dhe computer selffishy intesnafiy dosuementos."
Android 13: Yum Boy
-----
Vegeta: The Legendary Warrior of SpaZe.

Aritz182

Post by Aritz182 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:26 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Do you plan to to just go to Japan just to meet him?
Nop, I am gonna spend couple of days in Nagoya, that's why I had the idea of coming by his place. Of course that it would be super nice having a paint from him.
1º I give him a present.
2º I see if he can draw me something, wouldn't you ask for the same if you had Toriyama in front of you?

This is not about trying to buy him with a bottle of good wine so he can draw me something, this about the way I think I can show my appreciation to his work (you all tell me now that the way to carry with it would leaving him alone) and afterwards ask for an autograph or something. That something any fan in the planet would ask Toriyama if you had him in front of you.