Yamcha...

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kishido
Banned

Yamcha...

Post by Kishido » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:20 pm

I know he is a "gag character" but still one thing is bothering me...

Is he living with Tien and Chiatzu or what? And why Tien can order him around and he like a pussy agrees... What happened to him?

I siply can't believe that a Master Roshi was able to handle this fodder henchmen but Yamcha wouldn't?

RancorSnp
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Yamcha...

Post by RancorSnp » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:28 pm

Yamcha lives somewhere in the city, probably in a huge awesome apartment, considering he is a top baseball player.

As for why Tien is able to order him around as he sees fit, Well he is much stronger than Yamcha, last time they fought Yamcha ended up in hospital in a dire condition, as ever since Tien has became a lot more powerful, while Yamcha barely progressed his fighting skills, and quickly dropped the way of martail artist.

Overall, I would still say that he was very lucky, for a bandit to become a rich and well respected citizen, with a buch of friend and little to no worries in the world? I'd say it was well worth all the lost fight and received injuries. (Well maybe not that one death, but hey he was taken by surpirse.)

Kishido
Banned

Post by Kishido » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:31 pm

RancorSnp wrote:Yamcha lives somewhere in the city, probably in a huge awesome apartment, considering he is a top baseball player.

As for why Tenshinhan is able to order him around as he sees fit, Well he is much stronger than Yamcha, last time they fought Yamcha ended up in hospital in a dire condition, as ever since Tenshinhan has became a lot more powerful, while Yamcha barely progressed his fighting skills, and quickly dropped the way of martail artist.

Overall, I would still say that he was very lucky, for a bandit to become a rich and well respected citizen, with a buch of friend and little to no worries in the world? I'd say it was well worth all the lost fight and received injuries. (Well maybe not that one death, but hey he was taken by surpirse.)
So Tien took his smartphone and called Yamcha not to come... Yamcha said cool... OK... Even worse if someone as Roshi has come. Yamcha even while hacing slacked his training should be still far stronger.

But maybe my problem... I still think about this really bad movie and the logic behind it

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:09 pm

It sounds like Yamcha's career as an occasional bodyguard and failed-host never really did much for his income, and that in the end, he needed something more concrete and steady, which Ten was able to offer him at the farm when he needed it.

It's all sorts of crazy to begin with that Ten, like Goku, needed to resort to farming and hiring out Chiaotzu's powers to make a living when he has rich friends like Bulma and Satan, but I guess that's just Toriyama's way of making characters have some sort of back story.

Who knows.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:11 pm

It's never stated where Yamcha lives post-Bulma breakup. I've never given it a lot of thought before, but man, that's rough. They must have broken up at some point during the three-year Android training period, and he's got to see both her and Vegeta on South Island. And then get impaled shortly after.

i wouldn't be so quick to assume he lives with or off of anybody; he made a living as a thief in a desert for awhile, which in retrospect doesn't seem useful. How many people are seriously wandering around the desert?
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Blade
I Live Here

Post by Blade » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:23 pm

So here's Kanzenshuu's translation of Toriyama's most recent comments about Yamcha's fate.
He has the dilemma of loving women but not being good around them, so he is still wandering blindly in search of the ideal partner he won’t be nervous around. He’s even worked in a host club, but because of his nervousness, it didn’t go well and he was fired. His livelihood is mainly working together with Pu’er as a freelance bodyguard, but he occasionally goes to Tenshinhan’s to help with the farm, as well.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/tidbits/character-fates/
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:07 pm

Is Yamcha playing baseball in the manga or was that filler?

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:10 pm

precita wrote:Is Yamcha playing baseball in the manga or was that filler?
Filler.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Sandubadear
I Live Here

Post by Sandubadear » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:17 pm

precita wrote:Is Yamcha playing baseball in the manga or was that filler?
Filler, but Toriyama's idea, so it's canon to me.
"The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
--by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖
Lazy Xenoverse characters: Kuriza, Neko Majin Abra

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:22 pm

Yamcha should go back to playing baseball then. He hits a Home run everytime he's a bat, gets paid millions...why did he leave that life?

Jeff Styles

Post by Jeff Styles » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:14 am

Yamcha probably lives in a big house since he made his living by playing baseball.

Saiyan Arc-Dies
Freeza Arc-Still dead
Android Arc-His body was pierce and he almost dies

He play it safe by not coming along in ROF.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:41 am

There's a line in the manga that basically says he lives with Bulmas family
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:02 am

But, that's before Trunks shows up to kill Freeza and warn everyone the Androids are coming. He's still dating Bulma(it's at its worst).

I mean, heck, OK, maybe it's never explicitly stated he moved out. That would be weird.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:44 am

Bulma allowing her ex-boyfriend to still live with her is kinda weird. I don't think Yamcha has ever been shown in the Buu saga around Capsule Corp when Vegeta/Bulma/Trunks were there...although I might be wrong.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:47 am

I guess Toriyama just decided to group all the "loser" characters together by putting Yamcha with Tenshinhan and Chaozu.

Not really surprised, Toei and the video games have been doing that for years.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:49 am

For that matter doesn't Oolong still live at Roshi's place with Krillin and his family? I keep forgetting he exists.

Battousai
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Battousai » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:16 am

precita wrote:For that matter doesn't Oolong still live at Roshi's place with Krillin and his family? I keep forgetting he exists.
According to ROF, Kuririn doesn't live with Kame-sennin anymore.

Blade
I Live Here

Post by Blade » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:13 am

Battousai wrote:
precita wrote:For that matter doesn't Oolong still live at Roshi's place with Krillin and his family? I keep forgetting he exists.
According to ROF, Kuririn doesn't live with Kame-sennin anymore.
I guess that now he has a job, he's able to afford to pay for their own place.

I've always found the thought of an emotionally-detached-yet-beautiful super cyborg living in the same house as the lecherous Kamesennin pretty hilarious. Throw in Kuririn and Oolong, two strong presences of comic relief on their own, and I think the spin-off sitcom almost writes itself.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:16 pm

Did Oolong ever actually live at Kame House? There's plenty of filler(and the occasional scene in the manga) where he is there due to a crisis, as Kame House was a good "headquarters" for a long time until God's Palace arrives, but he was consistently shown to be at Capsule Corp... until he lost all relevance and it didn't matter where he was. He doesn't show up in the Buu arc until the tournament, correct? He's never seen hanging around with Trunks, I don't believe, and then the Buu arc happens and he gets killed.

On top of all that, it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense to me that that set-up would even exist. Why would pervy, selfish Oolong leave a mansion with two attractive women wandering around that he can ogle to live in a tiny house in the middle of nowhere with an old man? And why would Kame Sennin allow it? Kuririn is there as a student/possible son surrogate, and his eventual family by proxy. Lunch stayed because it's Lunch and nobody would want her to leave if she was living with you.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:45 am

For that matter at the beginning of DBZ when Radditz arrives, Oolong isn't at Kame house so he obviously wasn't living there.

During the Freeza saga we see Oolong/Puar show up together to view Goku at his spaceship and such, but we don't know where he stayed otherwise.