Will/should Dragon Ball Super evolve?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Will/should Dragon Ball Super evolve?

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:07 pm

When a whole new series takes place before EOZ, i think its obivous we will never go past there, with Toriyama.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:13 pm

Toei can remedy the GT dilemma by just announcing an official canon/timeline. Even Nintendo did it for Zelda. >_>;
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:16 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:Toei can remedy the GT dilemma by just announcing an official canon/timeline. Even Nintendo did it for Zelda. >_>;
Yea, not sure why they can't just say GT takes place in an alternate timeline to avoid plot holes and be done with it.

irreality
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by irreality » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:19 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:
irreality wrote:I don't understand people's rush to get through all possible material and have things wrapped up as soon as possible. The show is where it is right now and has interesting stories to tell both in the action sense and the slice of life sense. Why hurry it along to another time period? We haven't even started U6 or any other universes there might be in store!.
People have been asking for EoZ content for over a decade. Naturally, when the newer movies were announced, as well as Super, they were disappointed to see it take place beforehand.
GT has always existed for post EoZ content. I don't know who these people are: lots of people want different things. I was happy they were set after the JSAT special
Incidentally, it was more important to see the transition from a to b after the Cell Games and into the Buu saga, imo. What motivated Vegeta to keep on fighting? Did something besides peace encourage Gohan to stop training? How did Gohan take the news of having a little brother? Did this make him feel guilty again over his father's absence? What did the cast do when Future Trunks visited one last time to tell them about his victory over the androids? Party? Fight a new bad guy? How did Krillin and 18 become a couple?
Hey, I would have loved filler from that time period, but sadly it was not to be. After Cell is hard since Goku is dead then and without him apparently nobody can have adventures :p. But if DBZ was a more slice-of-lifey series at the time it could have been great.

EoZ is good because it touches many similar themes (couples, new children, new training regimes/mentors), while allowing for the possibility of our main characters actually getting into adventures.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:20 pm

GT has always existed for post EoZ content. I don't know who these people are: lots of people want different things.
People tend to repress that fact.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

irreality
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by irreality » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:22 pm

Well, there is that. Maybe that is why I react negatively to the idea of just jumping straight into post-EoZ content -- don't want a rehash of the mistakes of GT.

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:23 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:
GT has always existed for post EoZ content. I don't know who these people are: lots of people want different things.
But that very rejection is maybe one of the strongest reasons if we never get post-EoZ again.
And Toriyama himself, of course. I think he doesn't want to "ruin" his end. Goku takes off with a new disciple, and what comes next is up to people's imagination.

GTX
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by GTX » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:35 pm

The movie is the first one stated as official i don't think there is plothole to reach GT because the nature of SSG itself that is absorbable to normal state. :lol:
I like the idea of GT continuation probably new character appearance as protagonist goku again this time with weapon both enemy and ally.
The question has been asked by you 10000000000 times and we have become very efficient.
I don't care about non canon stuffs like game, guide book, movie, etc
Spare the trouble because GT is CANON
Be quick and be done with it
inactive :P

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:35 pm

Araki wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:
But that very rejection is maybe one of the strongest reasons if we never get post-EoZ again.
And Toriyama himself, of course. I think he doesn't want to "ruin" his end. Goku takes off with a new disciple, and what comes next is up to people's imagination.
Honestly, I just think Toriyama doesn't find that era appealing. Not so much cause everyone is older, but because he's stuck having to do something with Uub, but probably doesn't feel like it--nor does he want to cast him aside like they did in GT. He'd rather make stories for Goku and Vegeta.

I strongly feel he created Uub, but never planned anything with him... at all, so in a sense, I agree with you. Even in Uub's only appearance, he's basically an uninspired fusion of kid Gohan and Namu.

Now Pan... that's someone I can see Toriyama having a blast with.

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:48 pm

I don't think Dragon Ball "Super" will go beyond the EOZ, but I think the Dragon Ball franchise will. Dragon Ball is back for the same reason the show started, (just like every other show started) and that is to make everyone involved money. If the franchise continues beyond EOZ It won't be in Super, as Super is Goku's and Vegeta's "Big Bang" if you will. It's their show more or less, and they are making a damn pretty good comeback with Super as Dragon Ball itself has literally resurrected, or did it really ever die? If they go as far as to make movies, make a series, pump out video games, along with Dragon Ball heroes with it's own manga, SD, I mean the list goes on. In the past 5 year's the franchise has been slowly making it's comeback. It's hot as hell right now, and as long as the rating's are booming, I think it's going to continue on, with more content even if Toriyama is not involved with the content, I think it will continue on on just as GT did back then. This is personally what I see as long as the rating's and sell's keep going up and up: Toyotaro is going to make his own Spin-off manga in the Dragon Ball World, if it continues with the EOZ, or take's place 1000 year's later on a different world with new characters, it really doesn't matter as it's continuing the DB franchise. I may get a lot of negative comments for saying that, but I feel as if it's almost like Toriyama is grooming Toyotaro to do his own thing with it, that's just how I feel. If they did it this way, you don't have to call it "Canon" to Toriyama's franchise, as you could simply separate it into two canons. Am I saying he is going to be Toriyama's successor forever? No, with the thing's going the way they are I see it happening like this: We have the creator giving his consent, we have a artist, and we have Toei animating it. If Toriyama runs out of Idea's I'm sure they could have a group write down a story line, have Toyotaro draw it, ask for Toriyama's approval, and if he gives it the green light release it and then animate it. With that said, having all these retellings, and if they conclude GT as a side story, I don't see why they can't have "Multiple" side stories, or even a reboot. As far as the canon debate goes or people being upset as it's not by the original author, I would give each author their own continuity as I have said above. For example: The Star War's series being continued under a different director, or 343 continuing the Halo franchise. if one want's you could simply say we have Bungie's side of the story, and we have 343's story. With all that being said, people are going to watch the new SW movies, and they are going to continue play Halo just because of the name, and because these "Worlds" that these people have created, have taken on a life of it's own. If the DB goes this route, then I feel the same way about it, as far as if it'd be successful without Toriyama's direct input is up for grabs, but I think it's safe to say as long as it's new content and has the DB name, it's going to have a fan-base just as GT, even if it end's up being cancelled. To sum all of this up shortly, I think it will continue beyond EOZ in a different series, but if it will pick up with Uub or even involve Goku is something I'm not sure of, as if it's continued, I'd rather have Goku being Toriyama's territory, and whatever character, by whatever author in the DB franchise his territory. (Ex: Master Cheif being Bungies, and Locke being 343's)

Gmez9

Post by Gmez9 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:39 am

I would like for them to go beyond eoz and somehow make it even more action packed than dbz was back in the day really expanding methods of training, developing new techniques, different fighting styles, more h2h combat with more fast paced battles and slowed down choreography at moments.

Most of all collateral damage from the impact of their fights should keep climbing ridiculous heights.

I want to see goku eventually retire and become a full on teacher ( not really retired but trains in solitude) and people seek him out to be his disciple. Kind of what end of z did. But I wish goku and vegita would become cosmic and beyond (I'm obsessed with power).

I just want Dragonball to invest more time in character development and take a serious tone and have extreme intense battle scenes that makes every other fighting anime look like pbs kids, no soft kiddy shit.... I want them to go completely ham on the action and teach these other anime how action is done. That's really what I want out of super.

Dbz had good build up for their battles, and the intensity of the battles and the tension weren't drowned out by the comedy. With super, it feels weird. Yes I like the comedic episodes, but I should not like them over the action packed episodes. One punch man in terms of action is freaking insane, I feel super should be putting something like one punch man in its place as big as db is.

Just my opinion even if nobody agrees. I'm from the hood and one of the reasons I got into Dragonball was the theme of the warrior spirit, strong fierce battles. I am waiting for U6 to deliver.

Gmez9

Post by Gmez9 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:51 am

Or, if it does go beyond eoz "canonically" I would like to see a mini series of specials of the other universes if not covered in super.

Or, after super is done, have toriyama make his own interpretation of GT altering a few things, but making it apart of "Dragonball heroes" and bring out a sequel (ultimate) that goes in between gts 100 years.

I think super will be toriyama last Canonical story for Dragonball. I can see a lot of non canon spin offs being done.

I don't think I would like the series to lead into online.

It would actually be cool if cowa, sandland, kajika, chrono trigger, one piece, toriko, one punch man were the other universes.

Anime is getting like hip hop with all the crossovers.

I bet they will have an anime crossover similar to jump superstars lol. You learn that all anime is apart of the same universe while we have d.c and marvel. I'm not being serious I just say what's on my mind.

GTX
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by GTX » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:27 am

Super is more fit to be in heroes teritory. Probably the title is rainbow heroes the dragonball series :lol:
The question has been asked by you 10000000000 times and we have become very efficient.
I don't care about non canon stuffs like game, guide book, movie, etc
Spare the trouble because GT is CANON
Be quick and be done with it
inactive :P

Ssgvegito30
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssgvegito30 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:34 am

GTX wrote:Super is more fit to be in heroes teritory. Probably the title is rainbow heroes the dragonball series :lol:
Wtf??
"You may have invaded my mind and my body, but there's one thing a Saiyan always keeps! His pride!"

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:12 am

Gmez9 wrote:
I just want Dragonball to have extreme intense battle scenes that makes every other fighting anime look like soft kiddy shit.... I want them to go completely ham on the action and teach these other anime how action is done.That's really what I want out of super.

Dbz had good build up for their battles, and the intensity of the battles and the tension weren't drowned out by the comedy.
Z was airing on Wednesday evenings (which is a block watched by adults as well as kids) and each episode got 3500 drawings to use.

Super on the other hand airs on Sunday mornings which is mostly watched by kids so it's not going to have the same serious tone that Z had nor will it ever get the same effort put into it cause kids will watch whatever you put in front of them unlike adults who would usually demand better quality.

Super's tone and quality would probably be like the last 2 movies if it was airing on Wednesday evenings and got more drawings to use.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:32 am

fadeddreams5 wrote:Toei can remedy the GT dilemma by just announcing an official canon/timeline. Even Nintendo did it for Zelda. >_>;
I would not call the Zelda timeline a remedy.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:32 pm

Araki wrote:If GT has teached us anything, it's that post-EoZ should remain untouched.

Besides, anything that remotely remembers GT makes the average fan go "uurghh..". Even simply seeing baby Pan is enough to turn off some people who forget she's not a filler character from GT. Bring up Uub and you have the recipe for a disaster. Like it or not, they are seen as kind of "jump the shark" characters by the mainstream fanbase.
That was 19-18 years ago. Times has changed and if Toriyama can write a good sequel to DBZ then a postZ sequel could work.
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Also goin' past EoZ would mean GT would be gone for good. Toei don't want that, see recently announced SH figuarts and Udm figures.
They can still make merchandise for GT and yet do a series set after EOZ that does not follow GT. SSj4 is a popular design and it's not like it will go away forever.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:54 pm

Cetra wrote:
I would not call the Zelda timeline a remedy.
To be fair, I never thought that series required a timeline. Why couldn't all the games not directly connected just take place in separate universes?! It's so weird knowing there are multiple different Links and Zeldas in the same timeline, yet only one Ganondorf (?).

But I digress, in the case of GT, it makes sense to have it take place in an alternate universe instead of just saying "NON-CANON" and rejecting it. Same thing with the movies.

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta
Advanced Regular

Post by LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:16 pm

Having 2 stories post Z isn't a big deal,its 2 different writers and canons.
Any post before 8/7/2016 isn't mine. This account was a gift from someone who thought the account was already banned. Saved me the trouble of making a new one haha XD

I love DB/DBZ/DBGT/DBZK/DBS (If I didn't why would I be here? XD)

irreality
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by irreality » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:39 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote: To be fair, I never thought that series required a timeline. Why couldn't all the games not directly connected just take place in separate universes?! It's so weird knowing there are multiple different Links and Zeldas in the same timeline, yet only one Ganondorf (?).
Well, I think it was always stated that they were recurring reincarnations even back when Link to the Past came out. That is why it is the "Legend" of Zelda -- it is a story known to recur over the generations in that universe (and that Link and Zelda will be reincarnated as different people, and Ganon's spirit will be released into a different villain). I don't think a timeline was necessary -- knowing how everything fits is just an interesting factoid but the only relevant story point is that Skyward Sword is first. But in general except for a few games which are direct sequels, it is understood that each game happens so far into the future/past in that world that it doesn't really matter when it happened.

I'm not sure how this relates in any way to GT (or movies for that matter)… Why would Toei need to release a timeline? We know where all these stories fit together chronologically -- they are just contradictory if they happen in the same universe as the main story. (and some movies I think are plain impossible).