New Cel-Shaded Dragon Ball Z Figures Looks Awesome

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SSGSS Goku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: New Cel-Shaded Dragon Ball Z Figures Looks Awesome

Post by SSGSS Goku » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:05 pm

I just want to point out, these are international exclusives. (well at least Super Saiyan Goku) Japan will not get these as they are just repaints of the master stars piece figures. http://www.banpresto.jp/event/150701/index.html

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:07 pm

I'm...conflicted. While that style looks pretty awesome in a way, it also looks kinda...maybe just a tad fugly. I'unno...I'm not 100% sold on the look of those things.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Retan
Advanced Regular

Post by Retan » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:19 pm

While I won't be able to collect these, (To busy trying to collect all the S.H Figuarts) I find them all quite dashing!!

irreality
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by irreality » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:42 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:I'm...conflicted. While that style looks pretty awesome in a way, it also looks kinda...maybe just a tad fugly. I'unno...I'm not 100% sold on the look of those things.
Yeah, there are lots ot things that are… not quite right. Like the eyes on Goku are really large in a non-Goku way, and pretty much everything is wrong about Vegeta -- like, why is his drapey shirt so stretched and molded to him? Is he hulking out?

The style looks cool, it is just not executed with an "on model" attention to detail.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:53 pm

irreality wrote:Yeah, there are lots ot things that are… not quite right. Like the eyes on Goku are really large in a non-Goku way, and pretty much everything is wrong about Vegeta -- like, why is his drapey shirt so stretched and molded to him? Is he hulking out?
Not really. The figure exaggerates how tight it should be a bit, but he doesn't wear a baggy shirt in the manga like he does in the anime during the Buu Arc. It's actually like a one piece jumpsuit that has a little slack at the shoulders and neck.

The shading on this line makes it look a lot worse than its usually depicted.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Bacon Skittles
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bacon Skittles » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:33 pm

Looks dumb.

Dragon Ball figures rarely ever look awesome.

SSGSS Goku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SSGSS Goku » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:41 pm

I honestly think the SSJ Goku and SSJ2 Gohan look awesome, but there's something about base form Goku and SSJ Vegeta that looks off to me, but I can't put my finger on it

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:57 pm

Not even a figure guy, but these look awesome. Wish they had anime colors tho.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:59 am

It reminds me of NECA's NES repaint figures.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:52 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:
irreality wrote:Yeah, there are lots ot things that are… not quite right. Like the eyes on Goku are really large in a non-Goku way, and pretty much everything is wrong about Vegeta -- like, why is his drapey shirt so stretched and molded to him? Is he hulking out?
Not really. The figure exaggerates how tight it should be a bit, but he doesn't wear a baggy shirt in the manga like he does in the anime during the Buu Arc. It's actually like a one piece jumpsuit that has a little slack at the shoulders and neck.

The shading on this line makes it look a lot worse than its usually depicted.
Possibly a little TOO tight and defined. No wonder Bulma fell for him.

To speak of the actual figures being discussed though, the shading reminds me of the Raging Blast / Ultimate Tenkaichi art style. I personally think they look pretty good as a nice change of pace.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)