FUNI Super dub - What are your wishes?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: FUNI Super dub - What are your wishes?

Post by The Patrolman » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:55 pm

andrewtuell1991 wrote:
The Patrolman wrote:How the hell is it over written trash?
It's needlessly flowery for such a banal fighting show about a brain-damaged, man-child going around beating up monsters, demons, aliens, and robots.

"It is a secret we have known before Gohan could even form words in his mouth."

Who is "we" even referring to? The audience? It couldn't be, because the first the audience, or anyone in the show, saw of Gohan's power was when he was four in the fight against Raditz.

"Through fights with Raditz, Garlic Jr, The Ginyu Force, and even Freeza, We caught Glimpses of the child's Explosive Power. But like an explosion, it always vanished with the moment."

We just had a lengthy filler flashback two episodes back detailing all of this, the point doesn't need to be hammered in any further. Anyone who's seen the show already knows all of this.

"At last, the beastly power has been harnessed. Gohan has Awoken. Now Cell will battle a warrior eleven years in the making, on the Next Dragon Ball Z!"

And yet Cell doesn't fight Gohan "on the Next Dragon Ball Z!" because we have to waste a whole episode killing Cell's blue mini-mes.
Sorry if it was too much but the narrator was telling you Gohan entire journey from this little weak boy to this furious warrior. Telling all the battles that led up to hear in a few short words. Thats not really the dub fault more Toei's since they love padding so much.
The Last Jedi is a terrible movie

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:11 pm

So in the latest episode they have a flashback with Kid Goku. But Stephanie no longer works for FUNI as Gohan was recasted for Kai. So what will kid Goku sound like?

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:22 pm

precita wrote:So in the latest episode they have a flashback with Kid Goku. But Stephanie no longer works for FUNI as Gohan was recasted for Kai. So what will kid Goku sound like?
Kid Goku will most likely sound like how Kid Gohan sounds like from Kai and beyond.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:29 pm

precita wrote:So in the latest episode they have a flashback with Kid Goku. But Stephanie no longer works for FUNI as Gohan was recasted for Kai. So what will kid Goku sound like?
I really hope they bring Stephanie Nadolny back but I highly doubt it.

Anyway, my wishes for the Super dub is for it come out :D

SilverPlaqueVII
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SilverPlaqueVII » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:23 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
I really hope they bring Stephanie Nadolny back but I highly doubt it.

Anyway, my wishes for the Super dub is for it come out :D
Tiffany Vollmer has been in the Big Easy since to focus her career as an film producer. Monica Rial does Bulma but I doubt she'll do Kid Goku.
Jelo Gutierrez Cantos (Dr. Fresh)
I'M GONNA BREAK YOU, LIKE A KIT-KAT BAR!! - TFS Goku. (have a Break, have a Kit Kat Freeza!)

-------------------------------------

Silver ShenronTransit Archive Projects
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Facebook | X (Twitter) | Tumblr | Youtube (1) (2) | Flickr | Instagram | Threads

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:35 am

Lord Beerus wrote:
Kid Goku will most likely sound like how Kid Gohan sounds like from Kai and beyond.
Yeah pretty much. Colleen took the role of Kid Goku in one of the movies so I'd expect she will again.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:12 am

Would it be best if FUNI doesn't dub Super at all? Just release Super to DVD with subtitles and that's it?

Does the series even need an english dub anymore?

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:00 am

precita wrote:Would it be best if FUNI doesn't dub Super at all? Just release Super to DVD with subtitles and that's it?

Yeah cause a lot of people wouldn't buy it without a dub and TV channels such as Toonami won't air it or any other show if it's only subbed.

A great example of how profitable a dub would be is Kai, it has more then one production flaw yet fans will still watch and recommend it to new comers over the original due to it having an accurate dub.
Last edited by sintzu on Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:22 am

precita wrote:Would it be best if FUNI doesn't dub Super at all? Just release Super to DVD with subtitles and that's it?

Look how well Kai is doing on Toonami, and it's basically a rerun of an old show. An all-new, dubbed series would be a hit with mainstream viewers. Surely no one involved (Funi, Toei, Bandai, CN) will want to miss that.
Last edited by Araki on Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:23 am

A lot of casual Dragon Ball fans like the series dubbed over subbed. The voices are so iconic that's they grown attach to it. So a dub will be a big selling point for Super in the US. Dragon Ball is one of the few animes that people watch dub over subbed.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

jcogginsa
Advanced Regular

Post by jcogginsa » Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:14 am

I want it to air on Toonami

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:17 am

I would imagine it will probably will sometime next year. I see no harm on having Kai and Super on the same time slot.
She/Her

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:30 am

If it's guaranteed to make money and please fans in the process, then of course!

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:58 am

Would it be best if FUNI doesn't dub Super at all? Just release Super to DVD with subtitles and that's it?
No, it'd actually be the worst decision Funimation could ever make because there's a ton of people who can't stand the Japanese version of the show because of Granny Goku or people that just like to watch and enjoy things in their own language.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:31 am

To skip over the BoG and F arcs completely and go straight to U6, the one people actually want to see.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:04 am

ekrolo2 wrote:To skip over the BoG and F arcs completely and go straight to U6, the one people actually want to see.
And then you'd have people griping about them skipping part of the show, regardless of how 'quality' it is or not. The only way FUNi would ever do this is if it was to create a larger demand for this earlier batch of episodes, ala GT back in the day. I think most are too savvy for that trick to work on them now though.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:10 am

Gyt Kaliba wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:To skip over the BoG and F arcs completely and go straight to U6, the one people actually want to see.
And then you'd have people griping about them skipping part of the show, regardless of how 'quality' it is or not. The only way FUNi would ever do this is if it was to create a larger demand for this earlier batch of episodes, ala GT back in the day. I think most are too savvy for that trick to work on them now though.
Oh, I know it's realistically impossible. You've got a better shot of getting the manga translated officially by Herms before this comes to pass. But still, for the sake of getting the material I actually want quicker, in my perfect world, the dub would just skip over the movie remakes with FUNI just telling people to watch the actual, already dubbed movies instead.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:24 am

I imagine Champa with a husky type of voice in English. I hope Funimation can find a good actor for the role.
She/Her

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:20 am

Anyone get the feeling Vados will be voiced by 18's VA? Or maybe Videl's?

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:26 am

precita wrote:Anyone get the feeling Vados will be voiced by 18's VA? Or maybe Videl's?
I got the feeling she'll be voiced by Laura Bailey, Trunks's VA.