It should have been 'Revival of C' and not F

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bacon Skittles
Beyond Newbie

It should have been 'Revival of C' and not F

Post by Bacon Skittles » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:17 pm

<deleted>
Last edited by Bacon Skittles on Sun May 23, 2021 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: It should have been 'Revival of C' and not F

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:31 pm

As a character, Cell is nothing compared to Freeza. He's not as iconic either.
Even Toriyama got tired of drawing him. because of his black spots.

Freeza did much more interesting things for the plot than Cell. He's the joker of Dragon Ball franchise, while Cell is just another villain.
If they had to bring an old villain back, Freeza was the only valid choice. There's no contest.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:45 pm

Even beyond how much more iconic Freeza is for DBZ than Cell, he's also the only logical choice to bring back. Boo is still around and the evil Boo is out there as Oob now. And Cell not only didn't leave a mark on the universe as a whole - he was pretty solely Earth's problem alone, due to being stopped there before he could go any further - there's also nobody around who would know about him and want to revive him. I mean, sure, I guess they could come up with something akin to 'Dr. Gero has a sibling/child, and they wish back their relative's greatest invention!' or something...but at least to me, that still feels less organic and more of a leap, than some of Freeza's forces - which were seemingly so many back in the day that there'd just about have to be some still left - deciding to revive their leader.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:06 pm

Freeza is for intents and purposes, the main villain of the entire franchise.

He's tied directly into Goku and Vegeta's backstory, the manga was supposed to end with the Freeza arc, and he is the most iconic villain.

Son Edo
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Edo » Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:11 pm

Pretty much as others have said. Freeza is the most iconic villain from the series, so it only makes sense. Even though I prefer Cell and Boo over him.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:25 pm

If Cell was brought back to life then he would only want revenge on Gohan and Goku. Freeza train because Goku defeated Majin Buu. Cell probably won't train since there won't be a reason for him to do so.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:32 pm

precita wrote:Freeza is for intents and purposes, the main villain of the entire franchise.

He's tied directly into Goku and Vegeta's backstory, the manga was supposed to end with the Freeza arc, and he is the most iconic villain.
No it wasn't!
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:59 pm

soppa saia people wrote:
precita wrote:Freeza is for intents and purposes, the main villain of the entire franchise.

No it wasn't!
Hey, let's at least throw in some education on the matter.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:27 am

Duo wrote:
soppa saia people wrote:

No it wasn't!
Hey, let's at least throw in some education on the matter.
Are you referring to me ? Because I read that guide.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:32 am

soppa saia people wrote:Are you referring to me ? Because I read that guide.
He's saying you should have linked to the supplemental reading on the subject as well, rather than just say "no".
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:41 am

I disagree about Frieza. First of all, he's only been brought back in filler; in the manga, his last appearance was against Trunks. Secondly, as mentioned, he's iconic. Before this movie was announced, I wanted a movie revolving around Frieza's return as a legitimate threat. My gripe isn't with his return, but with how they handled it. The movie simply didn't do the character justice, went the laziest direction possible with "powering him up", created no lasting impact, and what's more, made him into a joke in all regards. Frieza returning was a great idea handled horribly.

As for Cell, having someone use the dragon balls to revive him is a really bad idea, imo. First of all, he had no personal connections with anyone, so the concept is a tad silly. Secondly, the entire Earth KNOWS about the Cell; they know just how dangerous he was. Clearly, nobody would be stupid enough to revive him. By no means would I want this villain to return. Rather, I'd want a new Cell to be introduced: Present Cell. The one who never got a chance to see light. Just imagine how dangerous this creature would be after gathering DNA during the Buu and God sagas. He can be topped with an original design and personality too, emerging in a perfect form from the start. This creature could easily be written as a multiverse-level threat.

How did the fetus survive? Either slow regeneration or Towa learning about him through Trunks (it can be some old RRA scientist too) and continuing Gero's research for her own wishes, which eventually bites her and everyone in the ass.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:18 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:
soppa saia people wrote:Are you referring to me ? Because I read that guide.
He's saying you should have linked to the supplemental reading on the subject as well, rather than just say "no".
Oh I understand :D

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Bacon Skittles
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bacon Skittles » Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:35 am

fadeddreams5 wrote:I disagree about Freeza. First of all, he's only been brought back in filler; in the manga, his last appearance was against Trunks. Secondly, as mentioned, he's iconic. Before this movie was announced, I wanted a movie revolving around Freeza's return as a legitimate threat. My gripe isn't with his return, but with how they handled it. The movie simply didn't do the character justice, went the laziest direction possible with "powering him up", created no lasting impact, and what's more, made him into a joke in all regards. Freeza returning was a great idea handled horribly.

As for Cell, having someone use the dragon balls to revive him is a really bad idea, imo. First of all, he had no personal connections with anyone, so the concept is a tad silly. Secondly, the entire Earth KNOWS about the Cell; they know just how dangerous he was. Clearly, nobody would be stupid enough to revive him. By no means would I want this villain to return. Rather, I'd want a new Cell to be introduced: Present Cell. The one who never got a chance to see light. Just imagine how dangerous this creature would be after gathering DNA during the Buu and God sagas. He can be topped with an original design and personality too, emerging in a perfect form from the start. This creature could easily be written as a multiverse-level threat.

How did the fetus survive? Either slow regeneration or Towa learning about him through Trunks (it can be some old RRA scientist too) and continuing Gero's research for her own wishes, which eventually bites her and everyone in the ass.
It's true that it was all filler/non-canon that Freeza was brought back to life. However it's been stated that the movies do take place in another dimension. Either way Freeza has been "revived" several times and doing it again brought nothing new except painting him gold. While Freeza is essentially the "main" villain of the series, reviving him in some form or manner has gotten old. For me Cell was the perfect enemy. He had all the advantages of the strongest fighters and it took getting Gohan to unlock his hidden abilities to defeat him. Buu seemed absolutely unnecessary and a rehash of Cell.
I can imagine that there's a remnant faction of the Red Ribbon Army that wouldn't believe that Cell would actually destroy the Earth. He's their one shot for total world domination, and I could see that a few of them would think they could control him. That is of course if Gero even told any RRA remnants. In DBO the RRA is replaced by the Red Pants Army, so some of their members/beliefs must have survived well after the Buu Saga. Plus Commander Red along with Gero somehow survive into the events of DBO.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:11 am

I love Cell as much as the next guy, but he has a point though. No one outside of Earth knows who Cell is and no one would wish back Cell on Earth. Freeza had a empire and his empire still keep on going without Freeza and King Cold. So his soldiers trying to wish back Freeza made sense. If Toriyama pick someone else besides Freeza to be wish back then he would done Dr. Gero knowing that he never had a proper chance to use his character.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:21 am

Its kind of funny when you stop to realize how nobody in the universe, not even Beerus or the Kai's, knew or cared who Cell was.

They always knew about Freeza and Buu....but Cell is just this random creature made by some scientist on Earth. Yeah....

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:33 am

Bacon Skittles wrote:In DBO the RRA is replaced by the Red Pants Army, so some of their members/beliefs must have survived well after the Buu Saga. Plus Commander Red along with Gero somehow survive into the events of DBO.
Other than taking over their destroyed base and using a similar emblem (likely for the weapons and to cause fear via confusion) there is absolutely zero information supporting that the Red Pants Army are remotely related to the Red Ribbon Army as far as I've looked into the matter. The Red Panty Army are exclusively animals, and were formed for a completely different reason.

The Red Ribbon Army itself isn't entirely defunct in DBO either. We first get hints of it With Mecha Tao Pai Pai and then later with Dr. Gero and his new Artificial Humans. No idea if it's an impostor, the real one saved by Towa, a robot that has his brain downloaded into it or what. All I can say is he's there...
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:41 am

The idea was only going to work if it was Frieza that was resurrected. He's the most iconic villain, most popular villain (besides Broly), the one who has had the most impact on the series and the one we or the characters hadn't seen canonically in the longest amount of time.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:03 am

One of the best things about Cell is that he's the only main-series villain whom is completely contained within his own story arc. The rest of them become protagonists or come back later somehow. Cell doesn't get pulled into any of that. He put in one hell of an effort to destroy the world, it didn't work out, and that's all she wrote. I enjoy that about Cell.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:29 am

Cell has no real connection to anyone to really warrant being brought back. If Gohan was the main character or in the "relevant group" then maybe but he's not. Freeza, on the other hand, could still be used to bring up certain things into the forefront like Beerus having a hand in destroying Planet Vegeta. The move, of course, doesn't capitalize on this but its a lot more than what you'd get with Cell AKA nothing at all.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:59 am

Count me among those that actually kind of enjoys how self-contained the Androids/Cell arc is, and how it's actually kind of 'minuscule' in the eyes of the DB universe as a whole. The arc might overall not be one of my favorites, but the fact that it's a bit more of a personal story (well...sort of...if you think of it in the light we're talking about right now, anyway) than most of the other ones, makes it stand out a little better. Sure, the events of the Saiyan and Freeza arcs are connected to Goku because of it being about his heritage, but the whole reason for the Cell arc is because of Goku himself, not who or what he's descended from. It comes entirely from one person's thirst for revenge against that little boy we all saw grow up.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)