Dragon Ball Z: The Fall of Men

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Dragon Ball Z: The Fall of Men

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:41 pm

Here's the short movie.

Not as good as Light Of Hope, but it's quite decent in it's own regard. I'd imagine that if Dragon Ball Z were to be rebooted, it would pan out something like this.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Dragon Ball Z: The Fall of Men

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:24 pm

I thought that was absolutely fantastic. Everything from cinematography, to special effects, to sound design, to editing and to storytelling was fantastic. The production values were through the roof! I actually can't believe that this is a fan film! A very well shot film with fantastic establishing shots for locations. I love the choice of not having any dialogue in the film but instead have Trunks narrate what's happening through a monologue.
Performances were great, nothing felt cheesy or out of place. You can definitely tell that Yohan Faure (the writer and director of the film) is a professional at this stuff and he knows what he's doing. It's also great that they decided to adapt a fan fiction inspired by the story of Future Trunks rather than adapting History of Trunks like what Robot Underdog are doing. They handled Cell really well! He was very creepy and I love how they combined the look of his first form and his perfect form. The CG locations looked brilliant, especially the city during the final fight of the film and King Kai's home being destroyed.

As for flaws, I'm not a fan of the look of Super Saiyan, it's way too bright. I would have preferred the way Robot Underdog did it in Light of Hope. Also, during it's climactic battle, it did get a bit too bright when the characters were shooting blasts at each other. The fighting itself wasn't as good as how it was done in Light of Hope, but it was still good

Overall, I loved it. I thought it was better than Light of Hope because I'm a sucker for creative storytelling rather than a flat-out adaptation like Light of Hope. Also the production values were fantastic which is always a plus. Really great stuff! I hope it gets a bunch of views and more people on this website consider watching it.

Retan
Advanced Regular

Post by Retan » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:49 pm

I really wish Cell would have shut up in the manga and anime and been a silent monster the whole time like he was in this. He would of been so much cooler, and I may have been able to even like him a little.

also, I gotta admit the opening made me think of a rapture movie. :lol:

Geekdom101
Regular

Post by Geekdom101 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:42 am

I didn't enjoy it too much. I felt it was a little bit too "Man of Steel"-esque. Superman is supposed to be a bright character and Dragon Ball is also light hearted despite Trunks future being dark, it still felt very eh.
"Allow me to show you... my further evolution"

OFFICIAL Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgIqhB ... yUSp71VCOQ

Cabel

Post by Cabel » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:22 am

A bit melodramatic, but still freakng awesome.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:44 pm

I didn't like it at all.
The fighting scene was really bad in my opinion, also apart from the narrator characters didn't speak much which is not very DBZ-esque as characters talk a lot in the serie. Also Trunks and Bulma not having purple hair annoys me a little, but I could have overlooked that if both of them were in-character.
Trunks going Super Saiyan was also poorly done, he looked like he was going to fart, not like he was in a raging/crying state. Could have been done a lot better.

I still appreciate what they tried to do but I really think that was not good. Kami's lookout, Room of Spirit and Time and Capsule Corp were properly done though.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:05 am

Hoo boy, a 180 turn from the character of the series, but as an all-in "dress Dragon Ball in the trappings of epic" interpretation that was a blast. The lack of dialogue left much more to emoting and framing, very un-Dragon Ball and that much more oppressive for it, and I think it was a good call to avoid the unnatural hair colors and do's- I did not need Vegeta's hair to recognize Vegeta, and that's a good thing. Those sky shots were delicious; scale, I need scale! The emphasis on dark lighting did not sit well with me, either. The film made a point to associate the sun with peace and family, and darkness as the absence of life, but on a purely physical level Dragon Ball has never been a "dramatic rain scene" type of story- save for this very story, which originally used the contrast of darkness, but just briefly enough for its effect.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

dae428
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dae428 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:34 am

I actually quite liked it. It's not Dragon Ball by any means, but it's quite an interesting interpretation of the source material. Honestly, if Dragon Ball Evolution had been this instead, I actually wouldn't have been all that disappointed. While the whole dark mood thing was cool, I won't deny that it got a bit too overly dramatic at times. Another thing that did kind of bug me was the fact that it seemed that the people involved in the movie weren't natural English speakers. As a result the accents got just bit distracting. I would've much rather they used their natural language and had accompanying English subtitles, but I guess they were just trying to reach as big an audience as possible or something. Still, despite those two things, I really found myself enjoying the short film for what it was.

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:51 pm

I'd say that was honestly better than Light of Hope. It told a concise story and adapted the Android arc storyline in a unique, but faithful manner. Best DBZ fanfilm I've ever seen, and those special effects in the second half of the video were better than the stuff you see in B-movies with actual budgets.

This vid did confirm something for me though: live-action Tenshinhan shouldn't have a legit third eye. Whenever anyone does a live-action DBZ anything, they should just give him an eye tattoo on his forehead and give it the same significance as Aang from Avatar's arrow tattoos.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:40 pm

A little too "knitty gritty" for my liking. But, personal tastes aside ,that was pretty good.

Also...over 3 million hits in 3 days. That ain't bad!
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

KaiserNeko

Post by KaiserNeko » Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:35 am

Way too try-hard grimdark, terrible characterization of Vegeta, corny dialogue, and the fight scenes looked awful. Impressive special effects, impressive direction, and the time machine looks beautiful... but once again? Too much ambition outshining actual ability. The choreography was terrible and it just... doesn't capture any of the feeling from the series proper. I do not enjoy these sorts of reinterpretations of the series, they're never appealing to me.

Also, I really do not like this character concept for Cell.

Of course, that's just my opinion. A lot of people are going to enjoy it because it's "DRAGONBALL Z IN LIVE ACTION LOOK HOW SCARY CELL IS WOW THE FLYING LOOKS SO GOOD EXPLOSIONS CG CITYSCAPES OH WOW" but, y'know, whatever. It's impressive, very ambitious, and obviously had a lot of love going into it. But it just doesn't feel or look anything like actual DragonBall to me.
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:16 am

KaiserNeko wrote:A lot of people are going to enjoy it because it's "DRAGONBALL Z IN LIVE ACTION LOOK HOW SCARY CELL IS WOW THE FLYING LOOKS SO GOOD EXPLOSIONS CG CITYSCAPES OH WOW" but, y'know, whatever. It's impressive, very ambitious, and obviously had a lot of love going into it. But it just doesn't feel or look anything like actual DragonBall to me.
Most people seem to appreciate the film for its production values. I for one have never seen a group of fans create a fan film with this much effort put into it. When it comes to enjoyment though, I've seen a mixed response, mostly because tone wise it doesn't reflect the series it's based on accurately. I do love and really appreciate the way they approached it and the fact that it's based on a fan fiction rather than an adaptation of a plot line from the series.

With the story that they were going for and the fact that it's a live-action adaptation, I don't really see how the actual tone of Dragon Ball could work here. I'd love to see someone prove me wrong in the future though.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:36 am

It was alright, not any darker than the actual series, storywise I like the changes they did make. The monologuing didn't do much for me, the action scenes were adequate for amateurs, Cell's face was cool. All this does is further cement the truth: A live action DBZ movie that isn't trash, is possible.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:34 am

I liked that they used the stadium of the opening game in 2014 World Cup to be the Tenkaichi Budokai, well thought. Anyway, my opinion is the same as the ones presented here: I find way too dark, DB is not always dark, the narrative and lack of dialogue is a turn off, the history is confusing, but I like the ending scene where Trunks finds Goku, that was nice.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:06 am

Noah wrote:I liked that they used the stadium of the opening game in 2014 World Cup to be the Tenkaichi Budokai, well thought. Anyway, my opinion is the same as the ones presented here: I find way too dark, DB is not always dark, the narrative and lack of dialogue is a turn off, the history is confusing, but I like the ending scene where Trunks finds Goku, that was nice.
How is this any darker than the Mirai Timeline in the manga/anime? A part of me thinks it's actually lighter, due to constraints they couldn't make it like an actual apocalypse.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:09 am

FoolsGil wrote:How is this any darker than the Mirai Timeline in the manga/anime? A part of me thinks it's actually lighter, due to constraints they couldn't make it like an actual apocalypse.
I mean that even in HoT had some light-hearted scenes, it's was not like dark all the time, though
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Cabel

Post by Cabel » Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:54 am

After thinking about it, Fall of Men does have some lighter moments throughout in my opinion. The proper narrative starts with Trunks sharing a moment with his mother. He greets Upa and his wife with an act of kindness in the form of a senzu, showing that even in the worst of times he still has a kind heart, followed by the overall ascent to the lookout as well. Personally, I found the stuff with Vegeta at the end to be rather touching. Then finally everything is punctuated and released with the appearance of Goku.

Granted I may be stretching, but I feel the moments are there, they're just few, far between, and brief. Yes the filmmakers could have included more, but for the sake of storytelling, I think what they did was reasonable enough to sell the idea of Cell threatening to physically and emotionally overwhelm our hero. Had this been feature length I would definantly say include more stuff, but in a thirty minute short it would've risked taking away from the effectiveness of Goku's scene and what he represents to Trunks. Whether or not the execution of it is sucessful is a matter of opinion.

Is it how I imagine my ideal Dragon Ball movie? No. Does it feel exactly like the anime/manga? No, and I understand how that's off putting to some. But at the same time it succeeds to a degree in reminding me partially why I love this franchise.

I'll elaborate my thoughts on the characterization later, I need to get to work.

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:20 am

I appreciate the dark tone, since the series has been sugar coated in almost everything FOR A WHILE now. The narrative liberties they took are fine to me, it was interesting, I know it has been noted to death but this is miles better than DB Evolution. The final Goku scene, was PERFECTION Though!.
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:22 am

People should stop trying to make live action DB happen, it can't work.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Cabel

Post by Cabel » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:07 pm

If Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy, Ant-Man, and Flash as well as the numerous live action genre films and tv shows can work, so can DB.