Creative ways for the DB cast to contribute in Super?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Creative ways for the DB cast to contribute in Super?

Post by Wezenheim » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:23 pm

(I wanted to post this in the Super thread but was not able to. Mod help, please?)

It seems as though Dragon Ball Super, for the most part, will focus on Goku and Vegeta. Even though it is probably unlikely that the rest of the cast will get major screen time, are there ways that Toriyama and Toei can incorporate the minor characters? Anybody have their own ideas?

If I were writing Super and had to think of a way to do this, I'd probably think of doing the following things:

1. Split the gang up. This has been suggested here before, but one way that minor characters can be useful is if they send different characters to different places in Universe 6. This can be different planets or simply different regions on the same planet. Unless everyone in U6 is an OP monster on par with the gods, its not unreasonable for other characters to help search for the Super Dragon Balls. There of course are a few problems with this idea, the main one being that if they split up too much, the narrative could end up trying to juggle too much at the same time.

2. Stir up some stuff on Universe 7's Earth. If the rest of the cast can't go with Goku and Vegeta, perhaps a villain or group of villains should visit Earth and cause trouble. It would be kind of interesting to see how everyone would handle fighting without their top guys and it would be awesome to see someone else step up and get the win like Gohan did in the Cell Games. Again, not a perfect idea. After all, Resurrection 'F' sort of played with this idea already and it might come off as a rehash if not done correctly.

3. Let everybody else get some training. Don't know the likelihood of this happening, but perhaps whoever goes to Universe 6 (and competes in the tournament) can receive some training from Whis. This would be the only logical way (that I can think of) to power up someone without pulling something out of thin air.

Anybody got their own ideas? I know everyone will most likely take a backseat to Goku and Vegeta, but it'd be cool to see everyone do "something".

precita
Banned

Re: Creative ways for the DB cast to contribute in Super?

Post by precita » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:44 pm

People have discussed the idea of a tournament only for earthlings in Universe 6, meaning anyone of Saiyan or alien heritage can't compete in it.

So a tournament roster would be Krillin, Android 18, Yamcha, Tien and maybe Mr. Satan or Master Roshi. A tournament only for humans would be great.

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Post by Wezenheim » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:04 pm

precita wrote:People have discussed the idea of a tournament only for earthlings in Universe 6, meaning anyone of Saiyan or alien heritage can't compete in it.

So a tournament roster would be Krillin, Android 18, Yamcha, Tenshinhan and maybe Mr. Satan or Master Roshi. A tournament only for humans would be great.
That would be pretty interesting, I'd love to see all of those characters compete. I don't know if Tenshinhan would be able to compete though. Didn't one of the Daizenshuu state that he was a descendant of the Three Eyed Clan and pretty much imply that he was indeed an alien?

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:17 pm

They should all go to the library to help Gohan on his research about whatever, and just stay there for the rest of the series.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

HourglassIndigo
Beyond Newbie

Post by HourglassIndigo » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:53 pm

They don't have to necessarily fight in order to contribute, maybe they could train other humans to control ki and what not like what Gohan did with Videl. Or they could learn the fusion technique and be useful. I think it's safe to say the Toriyama/Toei doesn't care about the side cast as much as Vegeta, Goku, and the gods. I just want some more scenes with Chichi being sweet, we almost never see that, yet she's been nice in the past. Some decisions that Toei and Toriyama are making with the side characters pisses me off, but whatever.

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Post by Wezenheim » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:09 am

HourglassIndigo wrote:They don't have to necessarily fight in order to contribute, maybe they could train other humans to control ki and what not like what Gohan did with Videl. Or they could learn the fusion technique and be useful. I think it's safe to say the Toriyama/Toei doesn't care about the side cast as much as Vegeta, Goku, and the gods. I just want some more scenes with Chichi being sweet, we almost never see that, yet she's been nice in the past. Some decisions that Toei and Toriyama are making with the side characters pisses me off, but whatever.
This is all true. I suppose they don't have to fight, but it'd be nice to see them help somebody out in some way. I'm actually okay with seeing more of Beerus as long as his character develops well along the way. Chichi isn't treated all that fairly in the anime at all, she really wasn't that bad in the manga.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:59 pm

HourglassIndigo wrote:They don't have to necessarily fight in order to contribute, maybe they could train other humans to control ki and what not like what Gohan did with Videl. Or they could learn the fusion technique and be useful. I think it's safe to say the Toriyama/Toei doesn't care about the side cast as much as Vegeta, Goku, and the gods. I just want some more scenes with Chichi being sweet, we almost never see that, yet she's been nice in the past. Some decisions that Toei and Toriyama are making with the side characters pisses me off, but whatever.
Yeah, it's a shame that the U6 arc reveals Super is basically gonna be the Goku and Vegeta show.

As for Chi-Chi, that seems to be how people remember her best... so the only way that'd thing is if Toei changes their ways, drop Yoshifumi Fukushima, or Probably when U6 arc starts and Toriyama-sensei has creative control.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

raulvalente
Beyond Newbie

Post by raulvalente » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:05 pm

When it comes to Art, see: Episode 16.

When it comes to writing: Give interesting plots to Goten and Trunks, for example.

Neon Z
Advanced Regular

Post by Neon Z » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:23 pm

Wezenheim wrote:It seems as though Dragon Ball Super, for the most part, will focus on Goku and Vegeta. Even though it is probably unlikely that the rest of the cast will get major screen time, are there ways that Toriyama and Toei can incorporate the minor characters? Anybody have their own ideas?
We already know that the Universe 6 arc will at least start with a 5 man team from Universe 7 vs 5 man team from Universe 6. That strongly suggests that the arc written for the new anime itself (rather than adapted from the movies) won't focus on just Goku and Vegeta, out of the old cast.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:24 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:They should all go to the library to help Gohan on his research about whatever, and just stay there for the rest of the series.
Yeah pretty much what they should do. They really can't do anything else, nor are wanted to do anything else. No wait I got one. Have them do food jokes. Super loves them. If they focus more on food, surely they'll get more screen time. It worked for Bulma.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:51 pm

Neon Z wrote:
Wezenheim wrote:It seems as though Dragon Ball Super, for the most part, will focus on Goku and Vegeta. Even though it is probably unlikely that the rest of the cast will get major screen time, are there ways that Toriyama and Toei can incorporate the minor characters? Anybody have their own ideas?
We already know that the Universe 6 arc will at least start with a 5 man team from Universe 7 vs 5 man team from Universe 6. That strongly suggests that the arc written for the new anime itself (rather than adapted from the movies) won't focus on just Goku and Vegeta, out of the old cast.
Yeah, i have no idea where is coming from the implication U6 will be all about Goku and Vegeta after that.

Sure, one thing about Toriyama's writing is that he doesn't seem very fond of the Shonen trope where the main character fights the main bad guy and his weaker companions fight less important enemies. But maybe without the time restraints of a movie, and not having to draw the work himself, he's ready to provide a bigger roster of villains.

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Post by Wezenheim » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:10 am

Araki wrote:
Neon Z wrote:
Yeah, i have no idea where is coming from the implication U6 will be all about Goku and Vegeta after that.

Sure, one thing about Toriyama's writing is that he doesn't seem very fond of the Shonen trope where the main character fights the main bad guy and his weaker companions fight less important enemies. But maybe without the time restraints of a movie, and not having to draw the work himself, he's ready to provide a bigger roster of villains.
Not so much as an implication from anyone or anything in particular, it just seemed like that was where the story was heading from my own observations/fears based on power scaling. I was also mostly referring to the "super Dragon Balls" segment of the story, which I'm assuming would take place after the tournament (I didn't make that clear though, so it was my bad). For the most part, the tournament stuff slipped my mind but that's because we still don't know about participants, rules, stuff like that yet.

The tournament thing is tricky. There'd be a huge power gap between Goku/Vegeta and the rest. As I pointed out myself above though, it might not be too unreasonable to assume that Universe 6 doesn't have an entire team of god tier warriors. If he wanted to, Toriyama could easily just write villains that match the power levels of the supporting cast. There's a possibility that there are different warriors in Universe 7 as well, but that's probably unlikely.

Who would participate, I wonder? Gohan would be an easy choice if his power hasn't completely fallen off the map, cause he's a fan favorite and is probably still the 3rd or 4th strongest of the Z warriors. Goten and Trunks could participate as well, but would they participate by themselves or maybe use the Potaras (now that we know they can be separated)? If we are just going off of power alone, our team would probably be Goku, Vegeta, Gohan, Boo, and Piccolo. I say Piccolo because if Goten and Trunks don't fuse I don't see just one of them participating. Again, that list is just based on power though. There are a variety of factors that could force a certain character not to fight. I'm sure the tournament fighters would train, at least. We'll have to wait and see. The power gap made me assume that the other characters might not be able to compete and that there might just be stronger warriors in U7, but the more I think the less likely that seems. If the side characters participated, there are harder things to write around, especially in a series like Dragon Ball.

Long story short, I guess I just didn't put enough stock into the tournament even though I probably should have. I still think it's an interesting thing to think about post-tournamnent, because some weaker characters that I want to see (Krillin, 18, and Tenshinhan) might just sit things out.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:45 am

Judging by the Super advertisements the fighters will be the Saiyans and Piccolo. Goku, Vegeta, Gohan, Piccolo and Goten/Trunks fused as Gotenks make 5 characters.

So I guess Krillin won't be participating, but I hope he goes with them to watch at least. Too bad for the rest of the humans.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:57 am

With Vegeta training for 6 months with Whis and being on par with Godku, every character should be able to at least get close to the two by preparing the same way.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

Geekdom101
Regular

Post by Geekdom101 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:23 am

Having them fight Freeza's men was perfect to me, I hope in Super's version everybody gets involved, including Goten, Trunks, Buu, 18, and hell 17 too!
"Allow me to show you... my further evolution"

OFFICIAL Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgIqhB ... yUSp71VCOQ

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Post by Wezenheim » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:07 am

Draconic wrote:With Vegeta training for 6 months with Whis and being on par with Godku, every character should be able to at least get close to the two by preparing the same way.
That's very true. You'd have to figure that Champa/Vados would be training their participants as well though. Maybe Whis will be a better mentor?
Geekdom101 wrote:Having them fight Freeza's men was perfect to me, I hope in Super's version everybody gets involved, including Goten, Trunks, Buu, 18, and hell 17 too!
True, one of my favorite aspects of Resurrection 'F' was watching everyone fight. I hope things get crazier in Super and there are even more soldiers or something. It would be pretty funny watching Boo fight and it would be interesting to see how Freeza would react to his presence. 17 coming back would be awesome. I liked that Krillin fought and I see the logic in having someone watch Marron, but I wanted to see 18 there so it'd be nice if she went with him this time.

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:32 pm

Wezenheim wrote:
Draconic wrote:With Vegeta training for 6 months with Whis and being on par with Godku, every character should be able to at least get close to the two by preparing the same way.
That's very true. You'd have to figure that Champa/Vados would be training their participants as well though. Maybe Whis will be a better mentor?
Geekdom101 wrote:Having them fight Freeza's men was perfect to me, I hope in Super's version everybody gets involved, including Goten, Trunks, Buu, 18, and hell 17 too!
True, one of my favorite aspects of Resurrection 'F' was watching everyone fight. I hope things get crazier in Super and there are even more soldiers or something. It would be pretty funny watching Boo fight and it would be interesting to see how Freeza would react to his presence. 17 coming back would be awesome. I liked that Krillin fought and I see the logic in having someone watch Marron, but I wanted to see 18 there so it'd be nice if she went with him this time.
Well according to the episode summaries, we still have 1000 soldiers and only 5 warriors would be fighting soldiers, at least till episode 22.It could change after that though, but I doubt it.

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Post by Wezenheim » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:16 pm

Sodhi wrote:
Wezenheim wrote:
Well according to the episode summaries, we still have 1000 soldiers and only 5 warriors would be fighting soldiers, at least till episode 22.It could change after that though, but I doubt it.
Oh yeah, I forgot about episode titles. I didn't really look them up this time. Dang.