Cell saga, last arc where every character is well utilized?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

Cell saga, last arc where every character is well utilized?

Post by precita » Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:08 am

Anyone else think the reason the Cell saga is strong is because almost the entire main cast was well utilized? Think about it, almost every main character got a chance to shine at some point in the Cell saga:

- Future Trunks: Defeats Freeza and King Cold, the main villain of the previous arc. The whole story of the Androids and the future is explained by him, first Super Saiyan other than Goku, saves Goku's life with the medicine, fights Cell's second form, is the character who triggers the entire arc.

- Goku: Fights Android 19, trains with Gohan to become Super Saiyan, saves Piccolo and Tien's life from Cell when he was about to kill both of them in his second form, fights Pefect Cell to test his strength, tries to save the Earth by transporting Cell to King Kai's planet before he blows up.

- Vegeta: Kills Android 19, fights Android 18, becomes the first ascended Saiyan, fights Cell's second form, then puts up his strength against Perfect Cell and the Cell Jr's. Shows concern when Trunks is killed and first signs of him showing affection for someone other than himself.

- Gohan: The savior of the entire saga, the one who kills Cell, saves the planet, first Super Saiyan 2. Gohan's potential is finally realized to its fullest.

- Piccolo: Pretty much defeats Dr. Gero forcing his retreat to his lab. Fights Cell's first form and outsmarts him to regrow his arm. Merges back with Kami and becomes the strongest fighter. Fights Android 17 to the point where they're pretty much even. Fights Cell again until he's blown to the water, fights in the Cell games.

- Tien: His attack is able to hold down Cell's second form just enough for Android 18 to escape. Considering Cell's second form is stronger than Super Saiyans, Androids, etc...the fact that Tien got this moment of glory is great. Also fights Cell Jr's later on and helps attack Perfect Cell in the end.

- Krillin: Goes with Trunks to destroy Dr. Gero's lab as well as the present day Cell. Although this is filler, fights Cell's first form at the airport. Contemplates using the device to shut down 18 since he falls for her, fights the Cell Jr's and contributes to the finale.

- Android 18: Fights Vegeta and wins. The fact that she is the first character shown to be stronger than a Super Saiyan says a lot. Vegeta humbled by a teenage girl is fantastic.

- Android 16: Puts up fight against Cell's first form to try and save 17. Fights long enough to stay alive so he can escape with 18. Him being destroyed is the catalyst for Gohan's SSJ2 transformation.

- Android 17: Takes out all the other fighters after 18 takes out Vegeta. He is shown to be even with Piccolo, puts up fight against Cell before absorbed.

- Bulma: Shows up when Freeza comes to Earth, shows up again when the Androids first appear, makes the device to shut down the Androids, helps rebuild 16. Stays with the cast at Kami's and when the villains appear most of the time.

- Yamcha: Dr. Gero nearly kills him, but after that he's the one who takes Goku back to Roshi's Island after he is affected by the heart virus. He then fights against the Cell Jr's and at least shows up at the Cell games to do what he can. The fact that Yamcha even showed up at the Cell Games when he could have stayed behind always said a lot.

- Yajirobe: Arrives with senzu beans when the Androids first appear. Used for comedy as usual.

This is literally the last (and first?) saga where almost the entire main cast is well utilized. Sure Chiaotzu does absolutely nothing as usual, but that's besides the point. :lol:

If you think about it the entire main cast got to contribute something at some point of the saga, this is really one of those arcs where nobody felt sidelined completely.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Re: Cell saga, last arc where every character is well utiliz

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:39 am

The Cell Arc is the bastion of the idiot ball.

Saying any of these people were "well utilized" is a bit of a stretch.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:26 am

Yeah it was but hopefully they get used again in Super somehow.
precita wrote:
- Vegeta: Kills Android 19, fights Android 18, becomes the first ascended Saiyan, fights Cell's second form, then puts up his strength against Perfect Cell and the Cell Jr's. Shows concern when Trunks is killed and first signs of him showing affection for someone other than himself.
He also helped Gohan kill Cell.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Son Edo
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Edo » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:32 am

Good read. You make a lot of valid points.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:45 am

I guess it counts as the last arc where everyone did something yeah, but like Kamiccolo9 stated above, it was in an arc where everyone's being really stupid.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:05 am

There is NO arc in the entire series where every character was well utilized, not even the first one. The Cell arc is a case where this especially isn't the case.

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:50 am

Nice write up! And I agree, one of the best things about Android saga is that all the extended cast gets to participate. It's great as everyone has something at stake whether to protect their future or for personal reasons (Krillin's love interest). I hope Super has an arc like this. :D

P.S. You may want to add that Bulma built a freaking time machine, that's some good utilization as she simultaneously makes both Cell and the protagonists' ultimate victory possible.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:02 pm

sintzu wrote:Yeah it was but hopefully they get used again in Super somehow.
precita wrote:
He also helped Gohan kill Cell.
That is the only canon help, it appears in the manga, and is cruical in Cells defeat and yet they only thank Gohan like he did it all by himself.

Lunatic Fringe
Regular

Post by Lunatic Fringe » Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:15 pm

I wouldn't count meager participation as being "well-utilized".

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:35 pm

Doctor. wrote:There is NO arc in the entire series where every character was well utilized, not even the first one. The Cell arc is a case where this especially isn't the case.
The Saiyan saga has every character used but they were essentially slaughter for the Saiyans.

The Freeza saga is essentially just Gohan/Krillin/Vegeta for 70% of the arc until Goku shows up. Then he goes away after Ginyu and Piccolo gets to help...only briefly since he only fights Freeza's second form before being destroyed by his third. Yamcha/Tien/Chiaotzu are stuck on King Kai's the entire time.

The Cell saga I mentioned in my post.

The Buu saga is essentially just the Saiyans. Piccolo helps train Gotenks but that's it. Even Krillin doesn't do anything this saga.

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:36 pm

Not "well" utilized, OP, but it is the arc where most characters do something.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:38 pm

Heh, I forgot to include Mr. Satan on the list. Even though his big moments are in the Buu saga, his intro in this saga as comic relief were fun.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:35 pm

The Cell arc was worst case of utilizing the characters because everybody in the arc was a fucking idiot. Both the heroes and villains.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:42 pm

precita wrote:
Doctor. wrote:There is NO arc in the entire series where every character was well utilized, not even the first one. The Cell arc is a case where this especially isn't the case.
The Saiyan saga has every character used but they were essentially slaughter for the Saiyans.

The Freeza saga is essentially just Gohan/Krillin/Vegeta for 70% of the arc until Goku shows up. Then he goes away after Ginyu and Piccolo gets to help...only briefly since he only fights Freeza's second form before being destroyed by his third. Yamcha/Tenshinhan/Chiaotzu are stuck on King Kai's the entire time.

The Cell saga I mentioned in my post.

The Buu saga is essentially just the Saiyans. Piccolo helps train Gotenks but that's it. Even Krillin doesn't do anything this saga.
You said well utilized. I wouldn't call being fodder "well utilized". The Freeza arc also doesn't use half of the cast, well, because they're dead. The Cell saga doesn't utilize its characters well, because they all make terrible decisions and are even out-of-character at times.

Lunatic Fringe
Regular

Post by Lunatic Fringe » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:20 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:The Cell arc was worst case of utilizing the characters because everybody in the arc was a fucking idiot. Both the heroes and villains.
Well, except for Chaozu and #16.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:23 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:The Cell arc was worst case of utilizing the characters because everybody in the arc was a fucking idiot. Both the heroes and villains.
What are we referring to here, both Goku and Vegeta's Saiyan pride or love of fighting getting in their way of rational judgement? This is the same for them in every saga so I don't see the difference. Vegeta is arrogant enough to believe he can do everything himself and gets his ass kicked, same as usual. Vegeta allows Cell to absorb 18 because he wants to fight a challenge until he realizes he stands no chance, same as usual. Goku gives Cell a senzu bean and doesn't come to Gohan's aid...he did the same with giving Piccolo a senzu bean in the last tournament, etc.

Krillin not wanting to shut down 18 forever? Understandable especially if you were in his shoes at the time. Likewise I can't think of anything Piccolo, Trunks, or Gohan did that was idiotic, if anything Piccolo was the most rational one the entire saga.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:28 pm

What main characters weren't utilized well ?
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:07 pm

precita wrote:
What are we referring to here, both Goku and Vegeta's Saiyan pride or love of fighting getting in their way of rational judgement? This is the same for them in every saga so I don't see the difference. Vegeta is arrogant enough to believe he can do everything himself and gets his ass kicked, same as usual. Vegeta allows Cell to absorb 18 because he wants to fight a challenge until he realizes he stands no chance, same as usual. Goku gives Cell a senzu bean and doesn't come to Gohan's aid...he did the same with giving Piccolo a senzu bean in the last tournament, etc.

Krillin not wanting to shut down 18 forever? Understandable especially if you were in his shoes at the time. Likewise I can't think of anything Piccolo, Trunks, or Gohan did that was idiotic, if anything Piccolo was the most rational one the entire saga.
They are so many example of stupidity in the Android/Cell arc:
- The Z-Fighters refusing to take Bulma's advice and use the the Dragon Balls and wish to Dr Gero location and stop him from activating the androids
- Piccolo powering up and allowing Cell to locate #17
- #17 not running away when #16 constantly shouts at him to do say resulting in him being absorbed by Cell. Made even worse by the fact that #17 witness Cell nearly kill Piccolo, so why he thought it would be a good idea to stick around is just asinine.
- #18 not running away as far as she can after witnessing her brother being beaten half to death and absorbed by Cell and knowing she next to be absorbed by Cell because... reasons.
- Vegeta being a stupid asshole and allowing Cell to become perfect
- Krillin not shutting down #18 and preventing Cell from becoming unstoppable because he had the hots for her.
- Goku not tell Gohan about his plan for defeating Cell prior to the Cell Games, instead relying an immense amount of luck and good fortune.
- Goku giving Cell a freakin senzu bean
- Gohan not killing Cell because he was OOC.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:15 pm

As last hurrahs go, it could have been better. but on the positive side, it wasn't a complete massacre like the last time everyone came out, and at least everyone did something-barring Chaozu.

Bacon Skittles
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bacon Skittles » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:51 am

I agree. The Freza Saga was about Goku facing his destiny and becoming the Super Saiyan of legend. Buu Saga was about everybody failing:

Gotham trying to stop Buu: Fail
Goku trying to stop Vegeta: Fail
Vegeta killing himself to destroy Buu: Fail
Super Saiyan 3: Fail
Gotenks: Fail
Super Saiyan 3 Gotenks: Fail
Z-Sword training: Pointless
Mystic Gohan: Fail
Vegetto: Fail (though I guess it was planned)
Spirit Bomb: Almost a fail

Cell was the accumulation of the most powerful warriors and it took unlocking Gohan's power, something the series was hinting at, to defeat him. Hell Gohan's Kamehameha didn't come out of his hand, it came out of his body. The fact that Gohan even defeat Cell with one hand is badass.