Dragon Ball 'Super History Book'

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Dragon Ball 'Super History Book'

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:26 am

So Pekindaq re-tweeted this a few hours ago...
https://twitter.com/si000859m/status/667613037956755456
...and I've only just now come to the realization that next year is the Dragon Ball Anime's 30th anniversary. What are your expectations and wishes for the coming year?

This is a bit boring, but I am anticipating the announcement of another film. Since it could potentially tie in with the anniversary celebrations, I'm hoping for something that's just a little bit more special. Perhaps of a grander scale compared to the previous two. I'm also anticipating another merchandising blitz, with a lot of the anniversary branding being plastered everywhere. I know these predictions aren't exactly exciting or original, but this is mainly because I wanted to add a little substance to this thread, rather than just posting the Tweet since it's unlikely that there'd be a lot to discuss- save for speculation over its contents. :P Either way, I'm certainly excited now. The book definitely looks intriguing.
Last edited by DragonBoxZTheMovies on Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Dragon Ball 'Super History Book' and looking ahead to 20

Post by dbgtFO » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:35 am

It better be a comprehensive guidebook. I'd like that and of course they are going to do something for the 30th anniversary next year.
Maybe a short animated special(good a time as ever to fucking explain Jaco and Tights instead of having the casual fan having to switch mediums).

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:01 am

I imagine it will be a big look back at what came before, give some new details on old stuff and then have some hints and details on stuff to come.
I know it probably means nothing, but man them using End of Z Goku on the cover gets my hopes up that after Universe 6 they will time skip to after the End of Z.
The 30th anniversary of the Anime is at the end of February, so I hope they sort of "relaunch" super alongside a big anniversary marketing campaign and talk about how it's a brand new story by Toriyama now.

Froggy

Post by Froggy » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:30 am

will it have an english release ?

if it will, I'm jumping on it in a second (unless its super expensive of course...)

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:32 am

Froggy wrote:will it have an english release ?

if it will, I'm jumping on it in a second (unless its super expensive of course...)
There's no way to know. It's only just (tomorrow) being formally unveiled for a Japanese release in January.

That being said, I wouldn't count on it.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:24 pm

I foresee another pre-order coming... What with all of the Games, Blu-Rays and Figuarts I've got orders in for over the next six months or so, I'm already feeling like a ruined man. :o
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:40 pm

I would love so much for this to have an English release, but it's highly unlikely.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:55 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:

I would love so much for this to have an English release, but it's highly unlikely.
Quite. I'm convinced I'll go to my grave still waiting for Viz to translate The Daizenshuu data-books.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:11 pm

December 2016 would be a perfect time to start doing yearly TV specials like Lupin III. A re-telling in TV special format would be neat, too.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:25 pm

248 pages. Will feature the storyboards for the last manga chapter, a long Toriyama interview where he discusses the series' 30 year history, and a look back on DB anime, games, etc.

Overall, seems like it focuses on the real world history of the series rather than "in-universe" stuff.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:30 pm

Herms wrote:248 pages. Will feature the storyboards for the last manga chapter, a long Toriyama interview where he discusses the series' 30 year history, and a look back on DB anime, games, etc.

Overall, seems like it focuses on the real world history of the series rather than "in-universe" stuff.
Yeah, and that's interesting in its own right, but via the title, I thought we might have been getting in-universe content. Maybe even a Super timeline...but no dice, apparently.

Will still pick it up if I have money at the time though.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:50 pm

Which last manga chapter? Or maybe that's the point of showing us the storyboards to begin with; comparing the original ending to the Kanzenban.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

dae428
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dae428 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:52 pm

For some reason I really want to check out that storyboard... Having read the first Daizenshuu a few times, I've actually kind of found myself yearning to see some more rough cut illustrations of Toriyama.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:02 pm

Oh, this looks very nice. I think I may pre-order this. :)

medama_oyaji
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by medama_oyaji » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:06 am

Sounds like a very interesting book! As someone who doesn't read Japanese very well, I'm still on the fence about this one, although I REALLY want to see that chapter "storyboard"... Besides that, do we think it'll be filled with lots of pretty pictures? :think:

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:00 pm

dbgtFO wrote:It better be a comprehensive guidebook. I'd like that and of course they are going to do something for the 30th anniversary next year.
Maybe a short animated special(good a time as ever to fucking explain Jaco and Tights instead of having the casual fan having to switch mediums).
you thought it was jaco, but it's me, tarble
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

dougo13
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dougo13 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:11 pm

If it's a hard bound book I might go for it. I find the soft covers don't hold up though I have Roman Albums from 1980 that are still in great shape...

As for English releases, I'm not holding my breath. Maybe another language like Chinese or even French, German or Italian before English...

HECTOR4
Regular

Post by HECTOR4 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:34 pm

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:38 pm

The cover looks goregous, anything important/noteworthy in the preview page/ad?

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:00 pm

Basaku wrote:The cover looks goregous, anything important/noteworthy in the preview page/ad?
The Q&A thing above is written so that Goku answers the questions in character. Goku promises a long interview with Toriyama and many never-before-seen illustrations in the history book.