Favourite Overlooked Moments?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MozillaVulpix
Regular

Favourite Overlooked Moments?

Post by MozillaVulpix » Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:16 pm

What are your favourite overlooked moments in the series? It could be a scene, or even a single line. Something where you could write a mini-essay about what you liked about it and why, but you also feel like you're the only one who appreciates it.

My example: Jaco telling Bulma in Resurrection 'F' that Goku and Vegeta can't be friends with the God of Destruction because he doesn't exist.

Reason: Out of everything, I think this line helps validate Beerus' inclusion into the DB lore the most. More than any of the retcons or feats that Toriyama said that Beerus was responsible for. Someone like Jaco would have either been very young or not even born yet when Beerus last woke up. He hasn't seen him first-hand. And he's a member of the Galactic Patrol. You'd expect him to be educated. If he doesn't believe Beerus exists, that means most people don't believe he exists. He's some sort of galactic conspiracy theory. "A planet was destroyed? I bet it was the God of Destruction!" "Don't be ridiculous! There's no such thing as a God of Destruction!"

It actually made me buy it. There was someone whose immediate reaction towards Beerus wasn't to be terrified, but to scoff and deny that he existed. We never got to see something like that before. I think it was really good world-building.
I could have gotten into anything...and yet I chose the story aimed at young Japanese boys about martial arts, and later about super-powerful aliens punching each other really hard.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MozillaVulpix

Hero
Beyond Newbie

Re: Favourite Overlooked Moments?

Post by Hero » Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:28 pm

MozillaVulpix wrote:What are your favourite overlooked moments in the series? It could be a scene, or even a single line. Something where you could write a mini-essay about what you liked about it and why, but you also feel like you're the only one who appreciates it.

My example: Jaco telling Bulma in Resurrection 'F' that Goku and Vegeta can't be friends with the God of Destruction because he doesn't exist.

Reason: Out of everything, I think this line helps validate Beerus' inclusion into the DB lore the most. More than any of the retcons or feats that Toriyama said that Beerus was responsible for. Someone like Jaco would have either been very young or not even born yet when Beerus last woke up. He hasn't seen him first-hand. And he's a member of the Galactic Patrol. You'd expect him to be educated. If he doesn't believe Beerus exists, that means most people don't believe he exists. He's some sort of galactic conspiracy theory. "A planet was destroyed? I bet it was the God of Destruction!" "Don't be ridiculous! There's no such thing as a God of Destruction!"

It actually made me buy it. There was someone whose immediate reaction towards Beerus wasn't to be terrified, but to scoff and deny that he existed. We never got to see something like that before. I think it was really good world-building.
Good topic.

I have two:

One is Super Buu telling Gohan that he was the one he was waiting for all along and how it pays off.

Reason: For me, personally, it made me realize that Super Buu was actually cunning (unlike most other villains) and actually had a grand strategy when it came to his fights. It all paid off when he absorbed Gotenks and Piccolo, and even though I wanted Gohan to win, I couldn't deny that Super Buu had just made everyone his bitch.

The other is Piccolo telling Gohan to blame his "fate" in regards to his father being killed, him being kidnapped and the Saiyans coming. There is no way I could do this justice so I'm just going to link Mistarefusion's/ Gaffer Tape's Dragon Ball Dissection:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYQnFJZpppA Go to 5:50

Reason: It sums up Piccolo's character so well in a depressing way and actually makes it beautiful by showing how Piccolo beat his own fate to become one of the Earth's saviors instead of its destroyer.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:41 pm

"We will revive Raditz, right?" By Nappa
It later shows, how ruthlessVegeta was, even compared to other Saiyans, while Nappa still thought of his comrades, for Vegeta, you can't fight anymore, you are useless. even if they are just few remaining Saiyans.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

MarCas92
Regular

Post by MarCas92 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:30 pm

Kuririn's loss to Ma Junior at the Budokai: To me, this is Kuririn's finest moment in the series. He loses, but it doesn't matter. He made Piccolo sweat as well as showcased not only how far he's come as a martial artist, but as a character. What was once a shy nervous kid lacking confidence is now a mature adult who knows his limits and has no regrets. He's still a bit neurotic, but he's a more complete person now who can live his life without having to prove anything to anyone.

Freeza about to kill Goku before he notices the Spirit Bomb: This kind of goes in tandem with an earlier moment in the arc. Freeza is alone and he muses to himself that things would go awry if Saiyans were to become Super Saiyans, thus confirming he does believe in the legend. However, I think him admitting it to Goku just as he is about to kill him shows how untouchable he thinks he is. "There will never be any Super Saiyans". It's both a cruel taunt and kind of highlights how "Odepian" Freeza is as a character.
How do you get into the Ginyu Force? With a letter of RECOOMEndation!

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:31 pm

Any of the slice of life moments when there isn't anything going on. Am I the only one who just loves watching what the characters do in their daily lives when they're not fighting, training, or on the lookout for something?

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:10 pm

Jheese asking for help when Vegeta's about to kill him. It shows us a more human side of a villain in the arc and it also reinforces that Vegeta is still a very ruthless person at heart, who doesn't even allow his opponent to finish saying the word "help". It makes you think about which side you're rooting for when we're supposed to be rooting for a egotistical mass murderer who just killed someone who was angered because of the death of his friend(s).

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:26 pm

Hero wrote:The other is Piccolo telling Gohan to blame his "fate" in regards to his father being killed, him being kidnapped and the Saiyans coming. There is no way I could do this justice so I'm just going to link Mistarefusion's/ Gaffer Tape's Dragon Ball Dissection:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYQnFJZpppA Go to 5:50

Reason: It sums up Piccolo's character so well in a depressing way and actually makes it beautiful by showing how Piccolo beat his own fate to become one of the Earth's saviors instead of its destroyer.
Ah! I've always loved that line. Such a great ending to the scene, and a huge revelation for the new Piccolo's character. "If you have to blame something, blame your own fate. As I do." (Flies off.)

A small moment I always really enjoy is Vegeta, Goku, Gohan and Kuririn entering Freeza's spaceship after defeating Ginyu. It's particularly played up in the original anime, and there's something so satisfying about realizing the arc is moving into its climactic stage. Without even realizing it, somehow all the grunts have been cleared out and the characters are left to prepare for their final stand in the main villain's now-empty ship while he's away.

It doesn't get a lot of attention, but I also enjoy Vegeta's telling Goku in the Boo arc that he doesn't think Boo will be any great threat, rationalizing the Kaioshin's shocked reactions as meaning they're the most powerful mortals in the universe. It's a realization the audience has likely already come to, but it's actually a big deal to have a character verbalize it at that point, and it sets up the shit really hitting the fan shortly afterward and staying that way for the rest of the arc.

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBigBoy » Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:17 pm

I love how the Garlic Jr. storyline shows that the heroes can beat a major villain without the aid of Goku or Vegeta. Yeah, I know, it's not canon and yes the execution kinda sucks but at least it's not the "delay the bad guys until Goku shows up" trope that had been seen 3 or 4 times at this point.

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Post by Wezenheim » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:11 am

Some have said some of mine already (especially Piccolo's line about fate), but I always liked the initial aftermath of the Vegeta fight, where Roshi, Karin, Chi-chi, and Bulma pick up Goku, Krillin, Yajirobe, and Gohan. Bulma is really sad at the thought of everyone being dead, Roshi laments being unable to stop the tragedy, and we see the Z fighters' corpses being put into capsule-like things. That's some heavy stuff. It shows just how horrifying that was at the time and it also showed how much Bulma cared for the cast (even Roshi, who she sympathizes with when she sees his frustration). I think Kai did the scene the best (It starts at about 9:00 and ends at 12:30 in the video). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8M0X811Xy1k

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nickzambuto » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:29 am

Mr. Satan protecting Boo from Vegeta and begging him to spare him without any hesitation, even after everything that happened. That relationship seriously doesn't get the attention it deserves, those two have had me closer to tears more times than I can count.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:54 am

Goku arriving to the battlefield before Freeza kills Vegeta.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:18 am

The moment where Buutenks has Gohan trapped with the Galactic Donuts after toying with him for the whole fight, and is about to finally finish him with a Kamehameha only for Gohan to break free at the last second. I love how in the dub Faucloner's 'Gohan Powers Up' theme plays again here, and then afterwards Buu says "He's got a spark left". It really showed that Gohan hadn't given up yet, and was willing to fight to the bitter end.

The moment right after Goku has a vision of Vegeta during his fight with Frieza, and actually starts fighting back again. Frieza gets impatient with Goku and charges at him, only for Goku to dodge his kick and block his next attack before surprising him by throwing a flurry of punches and kicks at him. Sure it makes no sense in terms of power levels and Goku being exhausted after Kaioken x20, but it's a nice moment.

Goku's stand off with Semi-Perfect Cell. I like the part where Cell says "We will fight right here and now" and then flies at Goku while they have an intense stare off only for Goku to Teleport away.

Goku being caught in the gravity storm while hanging upside down during his spaceship training. A seriously horrible situation to be in, that also helps further justify his incredible gains. I always remembered the line in the Ocean dub where he says "Now that I've experienced 100x Gravity I must train at 100x Gravity".

The whole last scene of the Saiyan saga after Gohan lands on Vegeta. You just look at the state of Goku, Krillin, Gohan, Yajirobe, and Vegeta, and you know some real shits gone down.

The filler scene where Goku escapes the hospital and ends up injuring himself further in the wilderness. Chi Chi and Roshi look down at him from the plane and Chi Chi says "What on earth does he think he's doing?", to which Roshi replies "He's doing what he's always done. He's trying to do too much too soon".

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:32 am

The moment where Kuririn is the first there to greet his best friend, Goku, after he loses the 22nd Tenkaichi Budokai. The smile on his face says so much. It's too bad so many seem to overlook this moment when they bring up the best parts of the series.

The moment where the old man reaches out for his wife after she has been murdered and he has been shot by the dickhead sniper looking for a kick. I get more emotional over that than the millions killed by Buu.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

baneofdemon22
Beyond Newbie

Post by baneofdemon22 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:22 am

ABED wrote:The moment where the old man reaches out for his wife after she has been murdered and he has been shot by the dickhead sniper looking for a kick. I get more emotional over that than the millions killed by Buu.
Dang it! I was going to write that yesterday, but I didn't get a chance. I knew if I didn't write it, you would have written it though because you're the the only person I know that shares the enthusiasm I have for that scene. It's absolutely haunting. It's even worse when the one guy is reluctant to kill and then laughs after he does it. It's scary to think how many people I know would be willing to hurt people if they knew there weren't any repercussions. There's people that admit that they'd rape people if they got the chance on surveys that I've seen. It's terrifying, and that scene with the old couple beautifully (in a perverse sort of way) reflects that.

Whenever I bring that scene up, no one knows what I'm talking about.

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBigBoy » Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:31 pm

Oh another thing, I really love the hunt for #19 and #20 in the city. The good guys running around, trying to track an enemy they can't detect with ki. It's very tense, almost horror-movie like(especially with what happens to poor Yamcha) and is unlike anything else in the series.

TheUltimateVegito
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheUltimateVegito » Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:03 pm

There are plenty, but I think the most overlooked scene was when the village chief was held hostage by General White during the RRA arc. It showed that although Goku was raised in human morals and is pure of heart, him coming from a race where said morals wasn't a part of their natural evolution as a species led to him not being torn from the idea of having to kill the chief, despite being pure hearted. It emphasised how he's a saint by Saiyan standards, but not human standards and furthered his value for other people's lives more.

Another overlooked scene I'd like to mention is when Cell told Piccolo that it's probably the DNA he has from him that fuels his desire for more power. The way Piccolo looked down in shame when he said that was beautiful because it showed how his Kami side felt when hearing that and how Imperfect Cell's character's was a reflection of Piccolo's darkest side: King Piccolo. King Piccolo much like Imperfect Cell didn't need to achieve his full power but was determined to do so, because his true desire was to cause chaos and panic and eradicate the world completely before Kami and himself would die, so that Kami's position of guardian would be rendered pointless since King Piccolo was pure evil by nature. Cell being a product of Piccolo, reminded Kami of how King Piccolo was a product of him, which was something that Kami was deeply ashamed of.
YouTube account:
https://www.youtube.com/user/SuperVegitoSSJ2

PSN: Songojames

My Reddit account is also Songojames

Lunatic Fringe
Regular

Post by Lunatic Fringe » Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:10 pm

The last bit of Piccolo vs. Goku. It's probably the only fight I've been able to look back at over and over again and still cringe as the brutality piles up in a manner that really doesn't give you much hope for Goku's survival. We've never seen him fly so the fact that he has all of his limbs broken and is exhausted means that unless Tenshinhan does something drastic by killing God, he's as good as dead. That is...until we see him swoop in from out of nowhere to give Piccolo the final blow. I really think it fit with everything that we've seen from Goku in past WMAT's, where he keeps finding new ways to surprise everyone and gain the advantage against his foes.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:26 pm

Vegeta seeing Gohan for the first time on Namek, before he knows Gohan stole/hid his Dragonball. I was always surprised Vegeta didn't kill him right then and there, just kneed him in the stomach and then flew off. Its kind of weird because at that point Vegeta was still truly evil and never teamed up with the heroes yet, so he would have been the same as he was in the Saiyan saga.

Also, Vegeta seeing Bulma for the first time on Namek when she was swooning over Zarbon. Vegeta thinks she's an idiot and talks about how if Krillin didn't give him the Dragonball he would do something to Bulma. Who would have thought those two would get married and have two kids together?

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:34 pm

Regarding to precita post, my another favorite moment is when both Freeza and Vegeta let go their "preys" free Vegeta Gohan, and Freeza Dende) both of these moment of mercy caused their downfall (Not sure for Vegeta, even if he went to interrogate Guru for password, i doubt he could handle Nail at that point)
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:37 pm

Hero wrote: Super Buu telling Gohan that he was the one he was waiting for all along and how it pays off.

Reason: For me, personally, it made me realize that Super Buu was actually cunning (unlike most other villains) and actually had a grand strategy when it came to his fights. It all paid off when he absorbed Gotenks and Piccolo, and even though I wanted Gohan to win, I couldn't deny that Super Buu had just made everyone his bitch.
That and the absolute trolling Super Boo does after he's beating the crap out of Gohan. Really made me like Super Boo as a villain. He damn well planned and earned his current predicament.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!