Does every panel of the original manga exist in the anime?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Speedster
Regular

Does every panel of the original manga exist in the anime?

Post by Speedster » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:45 pm

When the anime was created, filler was created and added and/or integrated to the content of the original manga. Examples include (a) completely new sagas (e.g. Garlic Jr, The Other World tournament), (b) new content in existing sagas such as new subplots or seamless changes (e.g. the Pilaf gang hunting the Dragonballs from early on in the saga, the 22nd tournament taking place over 4 days instead of 1), (c) the extension of fighting scenes with new fighting sequences (like Piccolo and Kuririn doing the multiform against Nappa), (d) extended/new dialogue content and (e) purely the need to animate motions (well strictly speaking animating walking or throwing a punch is technically “filler”).

However I have always been pretty confident that if you watch the anime with subtitles and pause the video at the right time you will find the frame that exactly (or at least almost exactly) corresponds to the manga panel. The question then is: Will you be able to find each and every manga panel as a video frame? Personally I cannot recall any panel scene from the original manga being left out from the anime except from some of the narrator comments like the one about the Kaioken explanation and the Zenkai boosts in the spaceship.

Can anyone provide a counter-example, i.e. to reference a scene/dialogue from a manga panel (not cover) that is not included in the anime (narrator comments aside)? And I am not referring to censorship like hiding Bulma’s breast because technically the scene is still there. I am referring to something that is genuinely missing.

TheDevilsCorpse

Re: Does every panel of the original manga exist in the anim

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:27 pm

Just to start things off, Zarbon doesn't tell Vegeta about Freeza's transformation in the anime. I have no idea if the respective panel is in or not.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, part of the manga's Saiyaman material isn't animated because of all the changes they made to it in the anime.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:29 pm

There's a panel in the manga that shows Buu with Piccolo absorbed, but not Goten and Trunks. This form of Buu never appears in the anime.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:30 pm

Toriyama's (well, Tori-bot's) brief cameo in the Buu arc when that one 4th wall joke about copy-pasted panels during the fusion dance happens.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:10 am

During the Saiyan Saga before they arrive on Earth, Vegeta and Nappa discuss how much potential half-Saiyans have and if they breed with the women of Earth they could essentially rebuild the Saiyan race

IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:54 am

Some events happen differently in the anime than they do in the manga, so you won't be able to find a lot of those corresponding panels. Off the top of my head, two such events are 1) the aforementioned scene where Videl discovers Saiyamans identity, and 2) Goku drinking the "Water of the Gods", or whatever you want to call it. Both of those scenes play out much differently in the anime than they do in the manga.
aka TheMilkmanConspiracy on IFDB
aka WhereIsTheMilkman elsewhere

Nightmare Wheel
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nightmare Wheel » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:57 am

The Dr. Slump crossover was pretty much completely redone if I recall correctly.

MarCas92
Regular

Post by MarCas92 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:59 am

I would've liked to have seen this in the anime.
How do you get into the Ginyu Force? With a letter of RECOOMEndation!

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:03 am

MarCas92 wrote:I would've liked to have seen this in the anime.
Wouldn't the equivalent of that be him breaking your TV or computer?
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:04 am

fadeddreams5 wrote:
MarCas92 wrote:I would've liked to have seen this in the anime.
Wouldn't the equivalent of that be him breaking your TV or computer?
Yeah, Goku could have punched Yamcha towards the 'camera' and it could shatter.

Lord Exor
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Lord Exor » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:55 am

This violent encounter between an innocent man and a bloodthirsty Dr. Gero was unfortunately abridged from the anime.
"My dear friend, how can I make this even more painful for you? I could crush your hands, rip off both of your ears, or maybe I'll just smash in your tiny little cranium. Ehehehehehehehe."
—Frieza

"Alright big guy, whatever turns you on."
—Frieza

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:31 am

In the manga, Gokuu attempts to counter Jackie Chun's Drunken Fist (Suiken) with something called Crazy Fist (Kyouken). But he screws it up and the attack instead becomes Mad Dog (also Kyouken, but different kanji). After that Gokuu uses Monkey Fist (Saruken).

In the anime, Gokuu instead counters Drunken Fist with Monkey Fist. The entire Kyouken gag sequence is completely omitted, presumably because it's a written joke involving kanji homophones. I've also heard a theory that rabid dog jokes might have been considered too offensive for TV at the time.
-Rachel

Rukura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Rukura » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:55 am

Still haven't gotten around to reading it, but seems the Great Saiyaman portion of the story is different between the manga and anime. So you should find a bunch of panels there that don't exist in the anime per se.
Full checklist of all Xenoverse clothing pieces, accessories and Z-Souls (Many thanks to jrdemr for the Z-Souls sheet): https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8vxc8m0fehev ... .xlsx?dl=0

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:54 am

fadeddreams5 wrote:There's a panel in the manga that shows Buu with Piccolo absorbed, but not Goten and Trunks. This form of Buu never appears in the anime.
In the Anime, when Gotenks fusion wears off, he is briefly seeing wearing Piccolo's Clothes.

Big Green: Do whateveryoulike, Ghos
Broly: haha He calls me a goohst, but IMMMD DA DEVVVVAAALLL! RAHAHAHAHA!
-----
Trunks: "Dhe computer selffishy intesnafiy dosuementos."
Android 13: Yum Boy
-----
Vegeta: The Legendary Warrior of SpaZe.

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:16 pm

Definitely not. I think this is the only time in the series we actually see Kaio fight:

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:46 pm

successoroffate wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:There's a panel in the manga that shows Buu with Piccolo absorbed, but not Goten and Trunks. This form of Buu never appears in the anime.
In the Anime, when Gotenks fusion wears off, he is briefly seeing wearing Piccolo's Clothes.

That's not what I'm referring to. In that state, Buu still has Goten and Trunks absorbed. In the manga, they show him with ONLY Piccolo absorbed:
vs.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:59 pm

I do not remember seeing Toriyama-san in scenes like from vol. 1 on the tree or vol. 40 where he was standing behind Kuririn.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:01 pm

I believe there is a scene in the manga where a man can be seen praying after spotting Mr Popo is on his magic carpet at the hospital after the Saiyan arc that never got animated.

ParkerAL
Regular

Post by ParkerAL » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:42 pm

I remember that when Goku fights the Pilaf Gang after the Fortune Teller tournament, he kicks Pilaf's robot sending it flying in the manga, but hurls a rock at him in the anime or something instead.
Favorite Movies: Alien, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, The Thing, Evil Dead, The Land Before Time
Favorite Shows: Cardcaptor Sakura, Doctor Who, Wallace and Gromit, Wakfu, Yu Yu Hakusho
Favorite Manga: Fullmetal Alchemist, Hunter x Hunter, Dragon Ball
Augenis wrote:The power level view into the series has trained a significant portion of the fan base into real life stereotypical members of the Freeza empire, where each and every individual is reduced to a floating number above their heads and any sudden changes to said number are met with shock and confusion.

irreality
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by irreality » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:24 am

There is a scene where Mai is holding a poop on a stick and Pilaf says "this isn't Dr. slump!" in the manga. I don't believe it is in the anime.