Should Dragon Ball Super have skipped the movie sagas?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Berserker1921
Advanced Regular

Should Dragon Ball Super have skipped the movie sagas?

Post by Berserker1921 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:05 pm

I have been wondering since super started, should we have gotten new content. Since theses last 20 episodes have done little to expand on the lore of the the two movies. In the BoG arc barely showed new content and focused almost a whole episode on rock, paper, and scissors. Even when waiting to see these last few episodes and in hopes to see frieza and the sayians training to accuire they're new forms. Yet they did another time skip and once again just jump into the fat of the movie. I just wished when they got to super it would expand and show new things. However they have barely done any of that. What do you guys think?
Last edited by Berserker1921 on Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

precita
Banned

Re: Should Dragon Ball Super have skipped the movie sagas?

Post by precita » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:06 pm

Yes. Adapting the movies was a complete misfire.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:14 pm

No, it was a great idea and very necessary for any fans who want to get into the franchise when Super ends. They fucked up in the sense that they didn't expand much upon the films like they should have.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:28 pm

The movies just recently came out, its not like we're talking about stuff from a decade ago. The Freeza movie just came out THIS YEAR and its getting an episode adaption just a few months later.

They could have simply offered a brief clip summary of the movies in about 5 minutes to bring people up to speed.

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Post by Wezenheim » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:41 pm

precita wrote:The movies just recently came out, its not like we're talking about stuff from a decade ago. The Freeza movie just came out THIS YEAR and its getting an episode adaption just a few months later.

They could have simply offered a brief clip summary of the movies in about 5 minutes to bring people up to speed.
I think Doctor is talking about people in the future who might not have seen either Super or the movies. Even though the execution has been subpar in a few ways, the idea was a good one. Adapting these stories into a single, cohesive series made sense. Instead of telling people to watch two movies and then watch the series, you can just say "here, just watch Super." Again, the execution was bad. The idea was fine though, especially since we got absolutely no explanation for most of anything that happened in 'F' and Battle of Gods was not without its own flaws. Sure, we the people of today know what happens, but there were ways that they could have made the series feel fresh by giving us more crucial info and not simply rehashing things. Plus, this is a decent way of making sure that Toyotaro's manga adaptation doesn't fall too far behind.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:26 pm

At first, I thought it was a great idea because a) the series would flow well without anybody having to watch the movies first and b) it would allow the creators to expand on the stories and showcase things they couldn't before (e.g. Frieza's training and Vegeta's SSJG transformation), as well as fix other issues. However, these episodes have been terrible; I feel they have brought more harm to the series than anything. It was bad enough they were adapting very recent movies, but a lot of times, these episodes feel completely half-assed in every direction. Bad move.

If anybody wants to watch Super in the future, I'd advise them to skip these arcs and watch the movies.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:43 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:
If anybody wants to watch Super in the future, I'd advise them to skip these arcs and watch the movies.
Worse yet is how padded the Beerus episodes were. Did we really need 12 episodes to cover the Battle of Gods movie? The whole thing should have been 6 episodes at the most, (the movie was only an hour and a half if I recall, 6 episodes at 22 minutes each would have been enough), so its ridiculous.

MozillaVulpix
Regular

Post by MozillaVulpix » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:12 am

Probably not Battle of Gods, because that introduced a lot of things that are going to be very important in the new material (Beerus, God transformations, the different universes, ect.) Resurrection 'F' is a little more iffy. The only things in that movie that you would need to keep in are SSB and I guess Jaco's introduction.

But then again, we've only just started Resurrection 'F', and there are hints towards some major deviations in the next few episodes. For all we know, those deviations will be important even after the arc is over.

At the end of the day, you can't make movies be required watching before Super starts. These arcs are a way to bundle them all together.
I could have gotten into anything...and yet I chose the story aimed at young Japanese boys about martial arts, and later about super-powerful aliens punching each other really hard.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MozillaVulpix

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:34 am

Yes. You also have to watch the previous series to catch up with Super anyways, so why not just throw in two movies? Spend like 5 minutes retelling the events of the movies, and then kick off the new arc. I'd have much rather that. However I question if they even finished the material for the new arc's by that point or not, or if the retelling was a way to increase episode count.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:38 am

In my personal opinion, those two movies should have never been made in the first place, and should have been exclusive to Super. In a way, I think Super was planned before Kai ended, and the whole purpose of Kai was to gain a new generation of fans, along with testing the waters to see how it pulls off. Again in my opinion BOG and ROF where just quick cash grabbers to perhaps throw into the Super series? I honestly think the storyboard of Super was written, and then they decided to take two of the arcs, shorten them down, and make them into movies. On the other hand, those movies may have been planned to be one-off and no Super storyboard was ever written before them, but I'm pretty sure after the success of BOG if the Series wasn't a thing before then, it had to have at the very least become a thought afterwards. When you hit success like that movie had, the first thing that would come to my mind is let's make a series. ROF could have just been a quick cash grabber all on it's own, but if this is the case I wish it were movies that have nothing to do with the original timeline. They may not have had time to come up with an original off-timeline story, so they just took an arc (ROF) from Super.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:46 am

I originally thought that Super was being planned right after BoG, and F was made as a quick cash-grab, something that lacked substance and would be expanded upon in the series. But seeing how much F is being rushed, I really do believe that they come up with the idea as soon as F hit theaters.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:16 am

Toei had no idea they were making a new series until they saw the success of the movie. You can tell Super was rushed to production.

What I think was originally intended was a new movie every year or so, not an entire series. The next Movie likely would have been the universe 6 tournament.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:23 am

Dragon Ball Super should have waited six months to air so that the retelling of the two recent movies wouldn't have been shoddily tossed together on the run. Otherwise, the retellings are fine as an idea.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:24 am

We would've never gotten Chef Vegeta if not for this adaptation, so I say I'm glad it exists. :lol:
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:32 am

Honestly I think the fact Battle of Gods and Resurrection F are being adapted into episode format is a good sign Super was only planned after the latter premiered in theatres. You know you have to strike while the iron's hot when your product outsells Fast and the Furious on opening weekend. That would also explain why we had just over two months between the two and animation deadlines were hard to meet in some cases (as with episode 5).

As for whether or not it was necessary, I'm undecided myself. Sure you can say new fans need to watch DB and DBZ before DBS, but if I were going into a new franchise I'd find it very odd if I had to watch a few movies in between the series, why not make an effort to be consistent and give people the chance to get up to speed via one medium? On the other hand, yes some things were padded out too much. I think making the Battle of Gods saga a little longer wouldn't have hurt, say do 8-9 episodes rather than 12-13, but anyway that was TOEI's prerogative not mine.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:34 am

The problem isn't retelling the movies it's how they're doing it.

What they should've done is keep each arc 10 episodes long and change certain things so that it's a new experience for people who've already seen them.

Another problem is the production, they should've given the staff more time and a higher budget to work with.
precita wrote:
Worse yet is how padded the Beerus episodes were. Did we really need 12 episodes to cover the Battle of Gods movie?
It was 14 episode or 15 if you count the Mr.Satan episode.
precita wrote:What I think was originally intended was a new movie every year or so, not an entire series. The next Movie likely would have been the universe 6 tournament.
I think that will be the next movie cause they can re-brand it under Z's name and market it worldwide as a Toriyama written story which will make them as much or more then RF.

At least that's what I hope they do cause it'll be a real shame if a production mess like Super is the only place to watch a story that'll more then likely be really good so it deserves the same budget and effort that went into the last 2 movies.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:23 pm

On paper, it's a good idea because it creates proper cohesion in terms of the plot for those who may not have seen BOG or ROF. It's just the execution of the retelling of the movies have been half-assed in some cases. Mostly due the fact that Super has had an haphazard production.
Last edited by Lord Beerus on Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Geekdom101
Regular

Post by Geekdom101 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:51 pm

In my opinion - yes. They should've. I think it may be jarring when it eventually gets dubbed over here and may hurt interest. But nonetheless, while I DID want to see the inbetween BOG/FNF stuff, I don't feel what they gave us was that big a deal, so I would say yes, they should've started after FNF
"Allow me to show you... my further evolution"

OFFICIAL Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgIqhB ... yUSp71VCOQ

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:12 pm

I can't give a full opinion until the F arc is over (right now I'm only interested in if they're keeping the hand-holding-teleport however many episodes from now), but there was enough good to outweigh the bad in reBOG (that princess-carry, takoyaki chef Vegeta, Gokû ruining his cool entrance with a silly walk, the saddest lil gardener, Vegeta's family vacation) and the filler(?) episodes.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

SaiyanZ
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyanZ » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:47 pm

Maybe not for Battle of Gods, but I prefer Super's version of BoG to the film so I thought it was a good idea. Resurrection 'F' NEEDED a rewrite badly imo so I'm glad its doing it and I'm happy with some of the changes they've made.
Tim Duncan is dope and forever.

My favorite anime and manga (characters included): https://myanimelist.net/profile/SaiyanZ?q=SaiyanZ