Why was Dragonball minus never animated into a special?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

yamu

Re: Why was Dragonball minus never animated into a special?

Post by yamu » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:07 am

I wondered the same thing. Minus is a pretty short chapter, without a lot of action or fighting to it, so I imagine it might he low on the priority list for adapting into an animated special of some sort. Even with filler, there might not be a whole lot to work with. It might work as a mini short before a longer feature.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:01 am

SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:Nothing was answered because there were no questions left open from the special.
Maybe not the special but there were 2 things unanswered from the manga, the identity of the original Ssj and the way Freeza found out about him.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Rukura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Rukura » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:51 am

Because we live in a world where Neko Majin never got animated.

Oh, wait. Technically it has, it was animated as a book in Boo's hand.
Full checklist of all Xenoverse clothing pieces, accessories and Z-Souls (Many thanks to jrdemr for the Z-Souls sheet): https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8vxc8m0fehev ... .xlsx?dl=0

DB1984
Banned

Post by DB1984 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:02 am

Because it's a piece of shit, that some people say is a Jump the Shark moment for the franchise.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:15 pm

DB1984 wrote:Because it's a piece of shit, that some people say is a Jump the Shark moment for the franchise.
The franchise jumped the shark the second it was revealed that Goku was an alien. That changed Dragon Ball forever.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:24 pm

They only way I can see them animating it is if they animate Jaco too. Otherwise it doesn't make much sense too.

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:29 pm

Cetra wrote:
SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:
sintzu wrote:EOB was a continuation to Bardock's special and gave a fan favorite character Ssj and the story answered questions that weren't addressed in the manga.

What does Minus have that's worth animating ?
Not really. Episode of Bardock's concept is impossible to occur outside of an inception paradox. Nothing was answered because there were no questions left open from the special. And minus fits into that miscellaneous trivia pile. It's nothing of narrative value. Celipa could have just been labelled as Goku's mother of no needed trivia significance and we could have left it there.
A closed causality paradox is the only paradox that is possible to happen because it works with the logic of whatever happened, happened, therefore what happens in it is all that is needed. And it definitely is better and more meaningful and makes more sense than the other time-crap seeing in other stories.
It doesn't. Because it was used to imply that Bardock was the original legendary SSJ of the same timeline. If it was just closed causality, then the event shouldn't even matter.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:36 pm

SingleFringe&Sparks wrote: It doesn't. Because it was used to imply that Bardock was the original legendary SSJ of the same timeline. If it was just closed causality, then the event shouldn't even matter.
Err, yes. It should. Do you what what a bootstrap paradox is? Exactly that. It fully justifies its own existence. Time logically is seen as a closed circuit therefore these things can happen while an open causality paradox like crap rewriting other things and therefore even rewriting their own initiation cannot happen. Whether you like it or not, that is called a closed paradox. It is used:

In Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - Harry travelled back in time to save himself which was a part of the event chain that caused Harry to travel back in time and save himself
Chrono Trigger - The characters thought they see Chrono dying which made them travel back in time and replace Chrono with a doll so their past selves would think they would see him dying and need to save him
Chrono Trigger - Magus travelled back in time after the battle with Chrono and showed himself as prophet in front of his mother's past self because he wanted his sister Schala not to be lost in time and that caused the Lavos event to happen which made his mother get possessed by Lavos and his sister to be lost in time while little Janus (Magus) again was catapulted to the other era in which his past self once he got older repeat that to save his sister
Final Fantasy VIII - The SeeDs from Balamb Garden, founded by Edea Kramer fight the sorceress Ultimecia and travel back in time where Squall tells Edea about the Garden so she would found it and Ultimecia's wish to destroy the SeeDs before she can be destroyed begins anew as she is stuck in that circuit
Final Fantasy VIII - Squall's "sis" Ellone sent Squall's consciousness back in time so he could experience his father Laguna's life which is the reason why always Laguna is aware of that, she also did it because she could change the timeline but ultimately understood that it did not work this way as it was a part of the closed circuit nonetheless
The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time - Link teaches the Windmill guy the Storms so the Windmill guy in the future could teach it Link

No pop-science stuff with Multiverse and multiple timelines. Only one. And on one timeline that is possible. Because of the closed circuit.

Those things are called closed paradox or bootstrap paradox. Their existence is what causes them to exist and it logically works because of a logical and closed circuit of time that has no beginning and no end while an open paradox within a logical system cannot work because of that circuit. It falls under the simple rule of "whatever happened, happened".

Time travelling stuff of an open paradox that does not work in a logical system when it comes to one and the same timeline. Many stories to mix that stuff together. But one thing is possible and the other one is not. Well, practically probably both is impossible. But going by logic, one is, I mean.

Back to the Future and a lot of other stuff - even including Chrono Trigger.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Deathbringer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Deathbringer » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:04 pm

If they were to make DB- into an OVA they should expand it because it feels more like half a story if anything, I always imagined that after DB- ends the events that follow are similar to the original Bardock special (i.e. after Bardock and Gine send Goku off they eventually learn of what Freea is trying to do before dying alongside everyone else). However if they aren't willing to expand on the story for whatever reason then they should make a Jaco miniseries (and yes expand on Jaco as well please) but incorporate parts of Minus into the story, maybe run it parallel to the Jaco story even though that might ruin the twist that it's set before Dragon Ball.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:50 am

Gaffer Tape wrote:Personally, I'm with those who are saying I hope it never gets animated. The quicker that thing gets buried, the better.
Not giving a product an animated adaptation isn't gonna bury it.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.