GT - Why SSJ4 Goku is an adult

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Captain Strawberry
Advanced Regular

GT - Why SSJ4 Goku is an adult

Post by Captain Strawberry » Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:47 am

I think I have the answer to why Goku turns into an adult.

The transformation Super Saiyajin 4 brings out your potential to their limits though SSJ3 does the same thing so SSJ4 probably does it even more.

Where I am getting at is if the transformation brings out your potential then Goku must turn into an adult because your adult body has more potential or fighting potential then your child body.

See where I am getting at?
Kuro Tenshi

I am just a simple traveller

sintzu
Banned

Re: GT - Why SSJ4 Goku is an adult

Post by sintzu » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:53 am

I'm not sure this was said in any official product but I read that turning Ssj4 breaks the wish of the Black Star DBs so that's why he goes back to an adult.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:14 am

Out of Universe Answer - Probably Toei and Bandai wanted to do something to boost up ratings and merchandise sales. So having Goku be adult again as SSj4 was a good idea to them.

In Universe Answer - Not sure. If the Black Star Dragon Ball's magic is now broken when Goku can go SSj4 then how come they didn't wish him back as a adult after Bebi was killed. I would imagine Porunga can turn Goku back to normal if his non magical SSj4 transformation can. If there is no official reason then it could be another plot hole in the series.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:02 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:Out of Universe Answer - Probably Toei and Bandai wanted to do something to boost up ratings and merchandise sales. So having Goku be adult again as SSj4 was a good idea to them.
They probably didn't want to admit kid Goku was a terrible, terrible idea, so this was their idea of compromising.
But then again, 90% of GT made no sense.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:05 pm

Araki wrote: But then again, 90% of GT made no sense.
I would really like to see a thread one day made by people in which they write what made "no sense" because GT only has inconsistencies, things that would require explanations but nothing that actually makes no sense at all (or well, almost nothing). Not even the infamous hell and body destruction thing because there is so much about the Otherworld that still could be explained and therefore is not necessarily a plothole.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBigBoy » Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:33 pm

To be consistent, SSJ4 Vegeta should have been an old man.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:35 pm

TheBigBoy wrote:To be consistent, SSJ4 Vegeta should have been an old man.
Probably not. Your body to grow to something that can hold such powers seems to be meaningful enough.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:51 pm

I consider the SSJ 4 form the true Saiyan God form and therefore, as someone stated., The Black Star Dragon Balls does not prevent the transformation to complete in full. That's why he goes back to a child upon de-transforming.
Big Green: Do whateveryoulike, Ghos
Broly: haha He calls me a goohst, but IMMMD DA DEVVVVAAALLL! RAHAHAHAHA!
-----
Trunks: "Dhe computer selffishy intesnafiy dosuementos."
Android 13: Yum Boy
-----
Vegeta: The Legendary Warrior of SpaZe.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:18 pm

I wonder if the old man Goku Toriyama drew one time would become younger if he went Super Saiyan 4. It's not the most insane theory if the ideas is that 4 is the "perfect" transformation.

Now, those pants out of nowhere. What the heck?
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:07 pm

Because GT doesn't make sense. Super 17 arc is the shortest arc ever and it still manages to shit all over canon. So yeah, don't question it too much, it's GT. It's garbage.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:09 pm

They probably didn't want to admit kid Goku was a terrible, terrible idea, so this was their idea of compromising.
I still don't understand why some people hate this or think it was such an awful idea. Goku is a kid at heart, his personality hasn't changed even if his body is that of a pre-teen.
It's similar to how Bruce Banner's pants don't rip away when he turns into the Hulk, it's just one of those things you have to buy, much like you have to buy that a being can increase their mass like that.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:13 pm

Cetra wrote:here is so much about the Otherworld that still could be explained and therefore is not necessarily a plothole.
It's not explained in the show, any data books or from the people of the show then it's a plot hole. The dead unable to die in GT is a plot hole since in DBZ, they said that the dead can be erase forever if they die again.
She/Her

OWmyDragonBallz
Regular

Post by OWmyDragonBallz » Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:28 pm

Kuririn Fan wrote:Because GT doesn't make sense. Super 17 arc is the shortest arc ever and it still manages to shit all over canon. So yeah, don't question it too much, it's GT. It's garbage.
I thought Dragon Ball had no established canon.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:31 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:
Cetra wrote:here is so much about the Otherworld that still could be explained and therefore is not necessarily a plothole.
It's not explained in the show, any data books or from the people of the show then it's a plot hole. The dead unable to die in GT is a plot hole since in DBZ, they said that the dead can be erase forever if they die again.
That is not what a plothole is. A Plothole has to be paradox to be a Plothole. Other than that it is just an inconstistency that demands an explanation but nothing that actually and definitely means trouble as the plot should fall into that hole not being able to come out without rewriting. And I will repeat myself, the Otherworld rules in Dragon Ball have never been established enough to exclude other things like when rules can be broken or such, therefore everything that could be illogical is not necessarily illogical. What you mention does not actually contradict but only apparently. If there are chances and ways to avoid that contradiction with a proper explanation it does not need to mean it is contradictory, even if it seemed so at first. Oh and of course it needs to be really significant for the story. Just some random stuff that seems problematic for you is also not a plot hole.
Last edited by Cetra on Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:44 pm, edited 6 times in total.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:34 pm

ABED wrote:
I still don't understand why some people hate this or think it was such an awful idea. Goku is a kid at heart, his personality hasn't changed even if his body is that of a pre-teen.
It's because people have this perceived notion that Goku somehow matured when he grew up when in actuality he's progressively gotten worse and worse as they years have gone by with his behavior.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:41 pm

I don't know, but I've always wondered if SSJ4 can reverse Goku's age, could SSJ4 Goku kill Garlic Jr?

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:55 pm

ABED wrote:
GT seem to made Goku even more stupid then he was before as a adult from what I can remember.
She/Her

baneofdemon22
Beyond Newbie

Post by baneofdemon22 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:00 pm

ABED wrote:
It's similar to how Bruce Banner's pants don't rip away when he turns into the Hulk, it's just one of those things you have to buy, much like you have to buy that a being can increase their mass like that.
I would have much preferred seeing Goku as an adult, but I don't think it was such an awful idea. I don't think his body should have allowed him to turn SSJ though. Let alone SSJ3. One episode of Goku and Vegeta bickering as kids could be funny (like the JLU "Kids Stuff episode or the Futurama "Teenage Mutant Leela's Hurdles" episode),but I would never want to see anything more than a single episode. I don't want a series with Adult Goku, or any adult character, in a child's body. I don't think GT is good, but I will watch any scene without Kid Goku just because it's Dragon Ball.

I can't stand that about the Hulk. Nor can I get behind the idea that he gets stronger as he gets angrier. He should pass out from exhaustion or explode like a gamma bomb if he gets any angrier. Heck, the whole gamma radiation origin doesn't work for me. I much prefer the failed Super Soldier Serum route from the movies. When it comes to characters like Aquaman or Wonder Woman, I don't need their powers explained to me because one is part Atlantean (Or Merman? Either way) and the other is a demi-god. Anything goes! Same thing with Piccolo. He was a demon; no further explanation needed for me! Clothes powers...sure why not? :lol:
Last edited by baneofdemon22 on Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sandubadear
I Live Here

Post by Sandubadear » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:03 pm

FoolsGil wrote:I don't know, but I've always wondered if SSJ4 can reverse Goku's age, could SSJ4 Goku kill Garlic Jr?
Probably not. The transformation only temporarily reverses the magic on Goku's own body. When Goku transforms, it didn't reverse Baby's wish of restoring Planet Plant.
"The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
--by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖
Lazy Xenoverse characters: Kuriza, Neko Majin Abra

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:15 pm

baneofdemon22 wrote: I can't stand that about the Hulk. Nor can I get behind the idea that he gets stronger as he gets angrier. He should pass out from exhaustion or explode like a gamma bomb if he gets any angrier. Heck, the whole gamma radiation origin doesn't work for me. I much prefer the failed Super Soldier Serum route from the movies. When it comes to characters like Aquaman or Wonder Woman, I don't need their powers explained to me because one is part Atlantean (Or Merman? Either way) and the other is a demi-god. Anything goes! Same thing with Piccolo. He was a demon; no further explanation needed for me! Clothes powers...sure why not? :lol:
1) It was the Silver/Marvel Age. Back then, the thoughts were often, radiation does things. Also the Cold War was going on, hence the testing of radioactive weapons and whatnot.

2) Do you really want to see Hulk's little Hulk hanging out?