Which is worse to you: bad art or bad animation?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Which is worse to you: bad art or bad animation?

Post by Wezenheim » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:08 am

This is a topic that kind of popped into my head while I was watching episode 21 of Super. I thought it was a great episode and the art overall was pretty fine, but I thought that the animation itself was pretty dull and slow. We've seen the opposite of this in Super before: episode 14. Episode 14 had some good animation and Goku's fight with Beerus was actually enjoyable to watch, but the art was pretty darn bad in some cases to the point where it was almost distracting. Episode 14 as a whole was still good though. Episode 11 is the one of the better combinations of good art and animation that we've had so far, and even though it's a pipe dream, I wish all the episodes could be like that. There were examples of this in the earlier Dragon Ball anime as well. If you had to say which bugs you more, would it be bad art or bad animation?

Personally, I'd say bad animation is a bit worse for me. I at least want the art to be bearable, but I think I'd rather have more fluid animation. I don't know if this topic has been done before, so if it has I apologize.

Hero
Beyond Newbie

Re: Which is worse to you: bad art or bad animation?

Post by Hero » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:16 am

Wezenheim wrote:This is a topic that kind of popped into my head while I was watching episode 21 of Super. I thought it was a great episode and the art overall was pretty fine, but I thought that the animation itself was pretty dull and slow. We've seen the opposite of this in Super before: episode 14. Episode 14 had some good animation and Goku's fight with Beerus was actually enjoyable to watch, but the art was pretty darn bad in some cases to the point where it was almost distracting. Episode 14 as a whole was still good though. Episode 11 is the one of the better combinations of good art and animation that we've had so far, and even though it's a pipe dream, I wish all the episodes could be like that. There were examples of this in the earlier Dragon Ball anime as well. If you had to say which bugs you more, would it be bad art or bad animation?

Personally, I'd say bad animation is a bit worse for me. I at least want the art to be bearable, but I think I'd rather have more fluid animation. I don't know if this topic has been done before, so if it has I apologize.
When it comes to action, I'd take bad art and good animation since I want the fluid motions and speed that only great animation can give. For regular, talking scenes I'd take good art and bad animation since we're mostly just staring at the characters.

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Post by Wezenheim » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:19 am

Hero wrote:
Wezenheim wrote:This is a topic that kind of popped into my head while I was watching episode 21 of Super. I thought it was a great episode and the art overall was pretty fine, but I thought that the animation itself was pretty dull and slow. We've seen the opposite of this in Super before: episode 14. Episode 14 had some good animation and Goku's fight with Beerus was actually enjoyable to watch, but the art was pretty darn bad in some cases to the point where it was almost distracting. Episode 14 as a whole was still good though. Episode 11 is the one of the better combinations of good art and animation that we've had so far, and even though it's a pipe dream, I wish all the episodes could be like that. There were examples of this in the earlier Dragon Ball anime as well. If you had to say which bugs you more, would it be bad art or bad animation?

When it comes to action, I'd take bad art and good animation since I want the fluid motions and speed that only great animation can give. For regular, talking scenes I'd take good art and bad animation since we're mostly just staring at the characters.
Good point, I agree.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:01 am

Bad art. I cannot, cannot, absolutely cannot stand when a character is off-model. Yes, it's absolutely necessary and I don't mind it at all for in-between frames, but when a character is off-model for the entire episode, it just makes me cringe. I was slightly irate for this reason during episode 14 of Super despite the animation being very fluid. Of course that bad animation with good art is bad too, I just think it's less annoying. Even worse is when both are bad (episode 5 *cough*)

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:19 am

Won't bad writing be worst then both overall?
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Post by Wezenheim » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:28 am

Doctor. wrote:Bad art. I cannot, cannot, absolutely cannot stand when a character is off-model. Yes, it's absolutely necessary and I don't mind it at all for in-between frames, but when a character is off-model for the entire episode, it just makes me cringe. I was slightly irate for this reason during episode 14 of Super despite the animation being very fluid. Of course that bad animation with good art is bad too, I just think it's less annoying. Even worse is when both are bad (episode 5 *cough*)
Very valid points. I think its the worst when characters are off model when they aren't even moving. There have been several shots of that in Super so far and it just irks me.
Hellspawn28 wrote:Won't bad writing be worst then both overall?
Of course.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:33 am

Bad animation is bad animation. Off-model characters merely do not reflect the character models. That's not a big issue, because off-model animation does not mean bad animation. On-model animation that doesn't move interestingly is simply boring.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:44 am

Bad animation. I can live with bad art but good art don't mean shit when the thing flows like shit (I.E. MD Geist II).
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

dougo13
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dougo13 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:48 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:Won't bad writing be worst then both overall?
+1

Bad story always trumps the other 2...

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:54 am

Bad animation can't ruin a good story but it can sure ruin a TV show or film.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:34 am

Bad animation.

I'll happily, happily take off-model or loosely modeled characters for more fluid action.

Khin
I Live Here

Post by Khin » Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:38 am

same as what others say here,bad animation is definitely more worse,i dont like characters moving so weird and slow.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:41 am

JulieYBM wrote:Bad animation can't ruin a good story but it can sure ruin a TV show or film.
I love the way you think. No really.

I wanted to ask this. You said that Dragon Ball could work as a Novel if there was a "Unique and interesting voice" but I thought you are more into the audiovisual side of things. Do you enjoy Dragon Ball's visuals and acting or the story? If so why?
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:45 am

Wezenheim wrote:Very valid points. I think its the worst when characters are off model when they aren't even moving. There have been several shots of that in Super so far and it just irks me.
It's especially aggravating if you're like me and adore Yamamuro's designs and have to see them get butchered from week to week.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:51 am

Bad animation. I can take ugly art if the animation and choreography are great. Heck you can make 2 stick figures look friggin awesome with some sick ass animation. Though Super has alright art, but boring animation.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Lookerman

Post by Lookerman » Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:05 am

It depends on the scene, but usually I'd rather my characters to both move smoothly and not look like the failing project in a fifth grade art fair.
Last edited by Lookerman on Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta
Advanced Regular

Post by LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:19 am

To me the animation is everything on screen,that's how it is for most people. By art do you mean being on model and good designs?

MMy biggest flaw is the coloring since battle of gods,heck even yo son goku.....the colors are just infuriating!
Any post before 8/7/2016 isn't mine. This account was a gift from someone who thought the account was already banned. Saved me the trouble of making a new one haha XD

I love DB/DBZ/DBGT/DBZK/DBS (If I didn't why would I be here? XD)

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:45 am

Bad art is far worse than bad animation. Something can be flawlessly animated but if the art looks bad overall everything ends up looking bad.

In short, great art with bad animation has awkward movements and transitions, while bad art with good animation just looks bad overall.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:02 am

Bad animation. Just look at any Shin chan movie. That series is intentionally crude-looking, though. Or, hell, a rough English equivalent would be South Park.

What is "bad art" at the end of the day anyway? How a character looks when they're just standing there, like Lupin Vegeta or dead-eyes Super Saiyan Goku? Based on the myriad of screenshots I've seen. Super has close to none of this.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:42 am

B wrote:
What is "bad art" at the end of the day anyway?
Bad art is something that you find aesthetically unpleasant (aka looks bad to you).

That's why bad art is worse than bad animation. It doesn't matter much if the animation is good (aka if the movements and transitions are good) is you really don't like what you are seeing.