Goku's Love For Earth

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheUltimateVegito
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Goku's Love For Earth

Post by TheUltimateVegito » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:05 pm

One thing that I think most people haven't really thought about is how much earth means to Goku, and how that adds to the greatness of his character. Not only because of the made many great friends he made, but he's truly thankful for the adventures he experience both for its ups and its downs because all the teachings and experience he had on earth moulded him in a way that compliments his pure desire to fight. The main theme of Dragon Ball "There's always someone stronger" is what defines Goku, hence why he was saddened for something like when first achieved Super Saiyan and defeated Frieza. Another thing I find great about his relationship with earth is how knowing of the Saiyans made him more appreciative of what he experienced. Not only because he grew to be a good person who values other people's lives unlike the Saiyans, but because he wasn't brought up in Saiyan belief of hierarchy over hard work, which goes completely against Goku's character, or sent to anywhere other than earth where he wouldn't have the same experiences that strengthens his beliefs as a warrior. Although Goku dislikes the Saiyans, he can't help but be grateful to them because they sent him to a planet that moulded him into the man he is today. Goku has a strong personal connection to earth because of this, and I'd dare to say he loves the planet more than anyone else does despite being willing to put the planet in danger to satisfy his desire to fight, but that's only because of his Saiyan nature and how that conflicts with his love for the planet. I'd go more in-depth on that but that'd be off topic.

Consider this a preview for when I get into doing a Goku character analysis, if I become arsed to do so. :lol: But seriously, elements like this really makes me question the idea that Goku is too vanilla of a character. He's easily one the best characters of all time in my book.
YouTube account:
https://www.youtube.com/user/SuperVegitoSSJ2

PSN: Songojames

My Reddit account is also Songojames

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Re: Goku's Love For Earth

Post by Vijay » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:04 pm

I agree with your points. Great analysis

For a guy often criticized as "most generic/simplistic Shounen hero" & "eat & fight bonehead", Goku as a character has more depth than what he's credited

As characters, I view both Netero (HXH 2011) & Goku on the same level

Both of them (at varying age & stages) have expressed gratitude for all those years of training & experience which "moulded" them into such "Bakemono's/Kabozu" :D

But here's da difference

Netero (regarded as strongest Hunter in his prime) expressed great sense of pride & ego in CA Arc (backed by his deadly MF'kin movesets), while Goku remains the same (backed by his love for his Home, Earth)

Just like how any responsible man would look after his family, Goku felt he is obliged to look after his Home World "Chikyuu", as he is thankful for all those years of experience & teaching he has gained.

Man, feeling goosebumps when I come to realize just how wonderful character Son Goku is. Akira Toriyama, take a bow!

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Post by Wezenheim » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:20 pm

Goku definitely is a really good character and I like your analysis. I think it would have been more compelling if Goku perhaps didn't hit his head as a child, but that might not have made much logical sense. I think Vegeta's conversion thanks to the influence of the earth was a really nice thing in the series as well, and stuff like that made me really enjoy Old Kaioshin complimenting the planet at the end of Battle of Gods.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:36 pm

@ wezenhiem

What did Old Kaioshin said? I could watch BOG again, but I'm just too lazy for that now

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Post by Wezenheim » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:58 pm

Vijay wrote:@ wezenhiem

What did Old Kaioshin said? I could watch BOG again, but I'm just too lazy for that now
Couldn't find the subbed version and I didn't want to play my movie for this, so this is from the dub:
Old Kaio: "Beerus the destroyer found a world he wouldn't destroy. Never thought I'd see the day."
Kibitoshin: "Nor did I. Goku's strong character seems to have a one of a kind effect on people. He continues to make allies across the universe. Even Beerus respects him."
Old Kaio: "True, but I don't think Goku can take all the credit for Beerus's mercy. We have their whole group to thank for that. In fact it might be their whole planet, all of Earth that's responsible. Young Goku was meant to be a savage warrior and was sent to that world to conquer it. He and Vegeta were profoundly changed by Earth, its influence is strong."

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:15 pm

I wouldn't say one of the best characters of all time, but he's definitely one of the best written Shounen protagonists.

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:41 am

I always wondered how Goku's personality would have been like if he never hit his head as a child. Perhaps he would have been another Turles?
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:43 am

Doctor. wrote:I wouldn't say one of the best characters of all time, but he's definitely one of the best written Shounen protagonists.
Not tryin to be "elitist", but came across some guys in DBZF gloriying Edward Elric (FMAB) as best Shounen protagonist, to which seem blatant exxageration.

That title might go to Killua (HXH2011), as he actually broke many shounen cliches, despite being confined inside Togashi's YYH hang-over

TheUltimateVegito
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheUltimateVegito » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:09 am

omaro34 wrote:I always wondered how Goku's personality would have been like if he never hit his head as a child. Perhaps he would have been another Tullece?
Precisely. The whole point of Turles was to show how Goku would be like if he didn't hit his head.
YouTube account:

baneofdemon22
Beyond Newbie

Post by baneofdemon22 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:39 am

TheUltimateVegito wrote:Consider this a preview for when I get into doing a Goku character analysis, if I become arsed to do so. :lol: But seriously, elements like this really makes me question the idea that Goku is too vanilla of a character. He's easily one the best characters of all time in my book.
Are you kidding me? You're off to a fantastic start! I wish I could add more, but you're post was perfect. Keep up the awesome analyses for my favorite fictional character! :thumbup:

TheUltimateVegito
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheUltimateVegito » Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:37 pm

Vijay wrote:I agree with your points. Great analysis

For a guy often criticized as "most generic/simplistic Shounen hero" & "eat & fight bonehead", Goku as a character has more depth than what he's credited
Thanks! And I know right? I hear stuff like he just loves to fight and because of that he's too simple of a character. Really? Really?? Are they really gonna ignore all the elements of his character, how he developed and what he represents just because it all revolves around his love for fighting? That's like saying someone like Joker is too generic because he loves chaos and finds it fun. I bet they're only saying that because of the consensus that DBZ is just a fighting show with plain characters. Clearly, they didn't actually think about the characters or pay attention to the story.
Last edited by TheUltimateVegito on Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
YouTube account:

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:29 pm

Feel free to do whatever I sent you as a base for your analysis if you wish. I'm never gonna continue my analysis, so I think it should go to some use.

TheUltimateVegito
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheUltimateVegito » Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:34 pm

Doctor. wrote:Feel free to do whatever I sent you as a base for your analysis if you wish. I'm never gonna continue my analysis, so I think it should go to some use.
Aww, I was really looking forward to seeing your analysis completed. But thanks man, I'll definitely use it when the time comes. I'll be sure to credit you too. :thumbup:
YouTube account:

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:20 pm

TheUltimateVegito you make several damn good points. Goku is certainly a much more complex character than people give him credit for.

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:05 am

Well it makes great grounding to why Goku was the "odd one" among Saiyans because of it. He never destroyed the planet he was sent to obliterate, instead he was taken in and grew up thinking he was apart of it and thats what made his heart pure. If anything he should take from Superman, it should be that, not the minus retcon.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.