SSJ4 or SSJG form?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

soleil444
Beyond Newbie

SSJ4 or SSJG form?

Post by soleil444 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:09 am

I think SSJ4 form was more impressive than SSJG, more intense and also beautiful. When i watch Goku's transformations, i see that SSJ4 diserve to be SSJG form.
And you, what you think?

Videos of transformations here with my review complete in french:

Dragon Ball S ou Dragon Ball GT? [Transformation SSJ4 vs SSJG] http://urlz.fr/2Nct
Please understand: it's my first time on an english board about DB & i have a very very bad english!! thanks

precita
Banned

Re: SSJ4 or SSJG form?

Post by precita » Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:28 am

To be honest I dislike both as a power up since they came out of nowhere and were never foreshadowed. There was no legend like the original Super Saiyan, and I always saw SSJ2 as a "perfected" form of the original Super Saiyan, hence what they were working toward in the Cell saga.

SSJ3 was weird enough but now its gotten ridiculous.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:42 am

I am an easy target for cute stuff; ssjg in all its magenta-haired fluff all the way. :mrgreen:

Ssjg Gokû was actually my avatar for a long time, I just really dig the screenshot of base Gokû I'm using right now. It's always possible I'll eventually go back to using a ssjg one.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:44 am

To be frank, both were horrendrous

For 1st time, SSJ4 looked raw, fierce.

But 2 episodes later (Oozaru Baby ROFL Stompin SSJ4 Goku) was just ugh...

Its just Pink Panther + Caveman

SSJG was worse

Hold hands & BAM! Become a Super Saiyan GOD! Like WTF?!

Its God-like status for most ferocious & brutal Saiyan Race is turned into a joke

Next time, everyone stand in circle & hold each others p***s & BAM! Transform into SSJGSSJGSSJG10§

Like really.

Now, I've come to appreciate Super Saiyan 3 more

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:52 am

SSJ4 always looked pretty bad. Likewise SSJG is probably the best designed form Goku has had.

The SSJG concept is much more interesting however how they both came to be were both lame.

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Post by Wezenheim » Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:27 am

Hmm, kind of a difficult one to answer. I dislike how both of them are achieved. I do kind of like the concept of Super Saiyan 4 being the ultimate pinnacle of Saiyan power, since it looks more ape-like and seemingly makes the Saiyan in the form more aggressive. It kind of makes sense in that regard. The design, however, kind of has me torn. On one hand, I kind of like it. On the other, I feel like it's almost too over the top in certain cases: like the coloring around the eyes or the actual eye colors. It doesn't help that I don't really care for how Vegeta looks as a Super Saiyan 4 much at all.

The God forms, in my opinion, look better. They are simple, they have awesome auras, and they fit more in line with how Toriyama typically liked to do things. A lot of people dislike the "recoloring", and while I don't really mind, I'll admit that the transformations don't look the most "creative", whereas Super Saiyan 4 did at least try to stand out among previous forms and take risks.

So for me I guess I'll say that I much prefer the Super Saiyan God forms better design wise, but I probably enjoy the concept that they were going for with Super Saiyan 4 a bit better.

baneofdemon22
Beyond Newbie

Post by baneofdemon22 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:55 am

SSJG form for me. If SSJG looked like SSJ4, I would have accepted it. It's a god form, so as long as it somewhat resembled a Saiyan, I could buy any look. However, SSJ4 is not a god form; it is a constrained form of the Golden Oozaru, so the design throws me off. If SSJ4 was golden and had green eyes, then I would choose that form without a doubt.

This is probably my favorite Super Saiyan look ever, but it's just fan art:

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:01 pm

Design wise, SSj4 is cooler looking but I do kinda like SSjG more because SSjG it is own transformation. The god forms are their own transformations then just being a normal SSj form line up. SSj4 should have been its own form then being a 4th SSj form.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:20 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:Design wise, SSj4 is cooler looking but I do kinda like SSjG more because SSjG it is own transformation. The god forms are their own transformations then just being a normal SSj form line up. SSj4 should have been its own form then being a 4th SSj form.

You are lucky then because it is no 4th SSJ form.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:01 pm

4 is the only one that had any real thought put into how it works and its design is actually quite distinct from all the others that just change your hair color or make it spikier.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:07 pm

Cetra wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:Design wise, SSj4 is cooler looking but I do kinda like SSjG more because SSjG it is own transformation. The god forms are their own transformations then just being a normal SSj form line up. SSj4 should have been its own form then being a 4th SSj form.

Not from Toriyama, but SSj4 is still apart of the official SSj line up though.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

voltlunok
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by voltlunok » Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:25 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:
Cetra wrote:

I think Cetra was just bringing up the fact that SSJ4 wasn't supposed to be part of the SSJ line. It was only placed under the title for convenience and time constraints. From what little we know about what SSJ4 was supposed to be, it was very much its own transformation that was sadly saddled with the SSJ title cause GT seemed to be in crunch time when that arc was starting.

As for the actual topic, SSJ4. Its very different, its so out of the norm that its refreshing. It is still my favorite form in the franchise and probably always will be. SSJG while I have warmed up to it just a smidge, I still find it very unappealing and lazy to a degree but to sum what I think of both up. SSJ4 is the zenith of individual saiyan power, its the peak that any saiyan can reach on their own, meanwhile SSJG is the zenith of gathered saiyan power, its a form created by saiyans gathering energy and thats really what I find interesting about SSJG, if you gather more saiyans for the ritual will it give a bigger boost? Probably not but its an interesting thought. Overall they are two ends of the saiyan power spectrum and I respect them as such...I just prefer SSJ4 more.
Going on hiatus. Too much stuff in RL to deal with for me to keep up with posts here for now. Was fun, hope you all have a nice day and future! Volt signing off.

With the many years on the net I've spent...I've learned being polite takes you much further then being a dick. So...lesson here is! Don't be a dick!

"Fill up your stomach and your happiness! " - Cure Honey

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:44 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:
Cetra wrote:

By now you should already know that I do not care about this "not from Toriyama-san" thing. I am speaking about the fact that SSJ4 is no part of the SSJ chain and only called SSJ4 because it is convenient.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:55 pm

Method acquired:
- SSJ4 wins this, hands down. First, it combines the Oozaru form with the SSJ one to create the Golden Oozaru form. Then, the saiyan must gain consciousness to create a humanoid body that is far more suitable for combat. It's great and properly follows the lore of the saiyans.

- The SSJG ritual is one of the lowest points of this entire franchise.

Powers:
- SSJ4 is powerful, but not in an exaggerated way. However, it also comes across as perfect when you look at SSJ3 and realize this new form has absolutely no limitations. I don't like that. I believe they should have confirmed that if a SSJ4's tail is cut off, he loses access to this transformation. That's a pretty good weakness and goes hand in hand with the Oozaru form, which this one is based on.

- The amount of power gained as a SSJG is over-the-top, but because a ritual involving other SSJs has to be used, I don't mind this. It also has a clear limitation in that there's a time limit before the saiyan powers down. I don't know if Super mentioned this, but in BoG, it's implied Goku only absorbed it because he's talented, which I can live with.

I guess I pick SSJG here.

Design:
SSJ4 is hideous, but also appropriate, given the association between saiyans and monkeys.

SSJG is painfully disappointing and lame. It's literally everything most fans didn't want in a "new" transformation.

SSJ4 wins.

So yeah, I pick SSJ4.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:22 pm

Personally I like SSJ4 better all around.
The way it's attained, the appearance, everything. I don't hate God form but SSJ4 is just much better to me. It'll always be the 'ultimate Saiyan form' in my eyes

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:20 pm

I certainly give SSJ4 more credit for its unique design, but it just felt way over the top. I ultimately prefer SSJG for it's simpler design. But the concept of both transformations are contrived as fuck.

raulvalente
Beyond Newbie

Post by raulvalente » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:25 pm

SSJ4 design is very ugly, in my opinion. SSJG is cleaner and it looks nicer to me.

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:48 pm

SSJ4 to me has better weight to the lore and plausibility in it's discovery being unheard of. Nobody ever suspected the existence of a SSJ Oozaru which makes sense to why they never tried it before, the Oozarus weren't at all relevant since the Saiyan arc in-series. At least achieving the form required some backtracking, thinking, and some in-universe discussion. Then to create it took some effort, lucky and had a cost. (An Oozaru at SSJ3 tier surely would be near unstoppable). It required the Oozaru to recall something it recognized in order to focus that overwhelming rage and power. The same way it was hinted with Gohan in that form and Icurus or Goku's telepathy. With Vegeta it made sense because he already mastered the Oozaru form himself prior.

SSJG on the other hand, is just so disappointing. In it's origin and method of creation to me is just so painfully uncreative and felt literally out of no where but then forced into the lore the way it was. By saying Freeza knew about it all along as well on another Planet Vegeta legend based on nothing. Not to mention how easy it is to attain it. It just doesn't weigh up to the gains being so high, it's as if they never really needed SSJ if they just learned about the form earlier. Nothing stopped them from using it pre-Namek Saga other than knowledge... yet Vegeta knew it as well but ignored it as well. Smh.Then the ritual is just the cheesiest thing ever and has nothing to do with Saiyans at all, but written in a way to just make Goku the savior again... c'mon. It required so many stretches just for it to work because it was just made up.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:16 am

SSJ4 had a more unique design, and was probably the most creative Saiyan transformation since the original SSJ form, so I guess I'll go with that.

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:59 am

SSJ4 Looks the coolest, If GT was never made, and it was thrown in super. I bet everyone would be HOLY CRAP THAT LOOKS SO COOL.

I do like Goku's red Haired form though.
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.