"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

pacz360
I Live Here

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by pacz360 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:05 am

perucho1990 wrote:
SansrivaaL wrote:So theres no chance of them changing how Goku got pierced by Sorbet's ring beam since Toriyama was the one that wrote that scene... well there goes my hope for FnF Super arc, skipping the whole thing till U6 then.
What I think Toei might do is Sorbet shoots his laser, Goku noticed it and smacks it away, then Freeza takes advantage of that distraction and fires a Ki blast to Goku, knocking him out.
that's honestly so much better and i hope to god that happens makes for the tyrant to do it than some shit tier mook like sorbet.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:32 am

I really hope they forget about that Sorbet's Anti-God ring scene :sick:
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:41 am

The first box set of Dragon Ball Super sold 664 copies on Blu Ray and 486 copies on DVD.

fexus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by fexus » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:42 am

SaiyanZ wrote:It doesn't make sense period. Vegeta pulled the same stunt on Freeza in his 2nd form and it didn't do anything. Honestly, Goku standing over Freeza as he's beaten isn't "lowering his guard" or being "cocky" at all. Goku reaching for the Senzu during his fight with Majin Vegeta is a better example, or Goku depowering from SSJ and flying away from Freeza when he said "it was done" on Namek is also a better example. As dbzfan7 said earlier, Tenshinhan catching Cell offguard with his Kikoho is also proof that attacks like that don't work. The only technique that has proved useful against stronger opponents in terms of making them bleed is Krillin's Kienzan, like when it cut Nappa's cheek and Freeza's tail. There is no justifying that scene especially since Goku was a SSJ Blue. Goku has tanked many attacks point-blank without so much as a scratch, like Freeza's rapid fire ki attacks before he gives the "I am the Super Saiyan" speech. If a finger/Death Beam fired by 4th form Freeza to Goku's chin as a regular SSJ doesn't harm him, than a common ray ring laser to an even more powerful version of Goku should definitely not work either.
You're wrong. Goku standing over Freeza is him being "cocky" and "lowering his guard". It doesn't matter what you think about him but he was being cocky. Everything you had mentioned after that is when it was a tense state, atmosphere where any little mistake you make can decide the fate of everyone you cared about. Goku in the movie wasn't feeling this. The planet was not going to be destroyed, Vegeta was there. Beerus and Whis was there. And he had just mastered a new SSJ state. Frieza was weaken. Goku wasn't feeling pressured for the situation as everything was going his way. He made a mistake of lowering his guard. There's also this thing about different being have different natural resistance. Going without ki can only get you so far.
I ask thou, WHY MUST IT BE ME?
Your weakness is your strength.
Are you reading this? If you are, I just want to let you know that I'm a GREAT GUY. :lol:

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:27 am

Anyone know if the magazine that lists the episode titles for the next 4 weeks is out yet? What's the magazine's name? Is it Newtype?
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:35 am

Chuquita wrote:Anyone know if the magazine that lists the episode titles for the next 4 weeks is out yet? What's the magazine's name? Is it Newtype?
It'll be out on the 10th which is day after tomorrow.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:44 am

sintzu wrote:
Chuquita wrote:Anyone know if the magazine that lists the episode titles for the next 4 weeks is out yet? What's the magazine's name? Is it Newtype?
It'll be out on the 10th which is day after tomorrow.
Many thanks!
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:33 am

Lord Beerus wrote:The first box set of Dragon Ball Super sold 664 copies on Blu Ray and 486 copies on DVD.
Well, that's lame. I didn't expect much from retellings though.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:36 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Sodhi wrote:To be really honest that scene does not make sense to me at all. I mean if freeza caught him off guard then I would have no problems with the scene. However Sorbet caught him off guard when he was ssgss or ssb, I call that BS. Diffrenece between that "Ray gun" and ssgs/ssb goku is HUGE. I mean take humans for example. If I stab someone from the back and they are weak, I may kill them. However if a person is strong he may look back and kick my ass(Yes in both of these situations people are off guard).
That's a poor example because Sorbet shot Goku. A better example would be if you shot someone in the back with a gun while they're were off guard and they certainly wouldn't kick your ass they'd probably be dead.
Brother I was focusing on getting goku off guard. My point still stands if a human can be caught off and still kick ass then there is no reason an ssgss cannot be strong enough to sustain a "RAY GUN". Just read what i wrote before carefully.

irreality
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by irreality » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:54 am

FortuneSSJ wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:The first box set of Dragon Ball Super sold 664 copies on Blu Ray and 486 copies on DVD.
Is it lame? Seems comparable to other things if you add up BD + DVD.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:59 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:...
A severly weakened Vegeta (so weak he saw him and could not even dodge and even if he could he obviously was incredibly surprised to not do so) took a surprise attack from Yajirobi and still survived.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:04 pm

irreality wrote:
FortuneSSJ wrote:
Is it lame? Seems comparable to other things if you add up BD + DVD.
1150 copies in a week is not lame at all. Its still a new thing and people are still going to buy it, especially when they find out from other people that some things have been tweaked.

SaiyanZ
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyanZ » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:59 pm

fexus wrote:
SaiyanZ wrote:It doesn't make sense period. Vegeta pulled the same stunt on Freeza in his 2nd form and it didn't do anything. Honestly, Goku standing over Freeza as he's beaten isn't "lowering his guard" or being "cocky" at all. Goku reaching for the Senzu during his fight with Majin Vegeta is a better example, or Goku depowering from SSJ and flying away from Freeza when he said "it was done" on Namek is also a better example. As dbzfan7 said earlier, Tenshinhan catching Cell offguard with his Kikoho is also proof that attacks like that don't work. The only technique that has proved useful against stronger opponents in terms of making them bleed is Krillin's Kienzan, like when it cut Nappa's cheek and Freeza's tail. There is no justifying that scene especially since Goku was a SSJ Blue. Goku has tanked many attacks point-blank without so much as a scratch, like Freeza's rapid fire ki attacks before he gives the "I am the Super Saiyan" speech. If a finger/Death Beam fired by 4th form Freeza to Goku's chin as a regular SSJ doesn't harm him, than a common ray ring laser to an even more powerful version of Goku should definitely not work either.
You're wrong. Goku standing over Freeza is him being "cocky" and "lowering his guard". It doesn't matter what you think about him but he was being cocky. Everything you had mentioned after that is when it was a tense state, atmosphere where any little mistake you make can decide the fate of everyone you cared about. Goku in the movie wasn't feeling this. The planet was not going to be destroyed, Vegeta was there. Beerus and Whis was there. And he had just mastered a new SSJ state. Freeza was weaken. Goku wasn't feeling pressured for the situation as everything was going his way. He made a mistake of lowering his guard. There's also this thing about different being have different natural resistance. Going without ki can only get you so far.
Standing over someone just looking at them when they're beaten with an indifferent look isn't being cocky. Vegeta talking all that mess to 18 or Cell during the Androids arc is being cocky. Cell goading Gohan into becoming a SSJ2 is cocky. Itagaki Manabu in Hajime no Ippo talking crap to Imai is being cocky. Goku standing over Freeza isn't. You might as well say Saitama when he beats Sea King in the new episode of One-Punch Man is him being cocky and arrogant since he stands over him, when that isn't the case at all. It's just a terribly written scene that doesn't even correctly show "cockiness" or "arrogance". And what do you mean Goku wasn't feeling pressure? He was getting his ass handed to him thoroughly, he could've died at any moment, which is why he was smart and started running away from Freeza so that he could buy some time for the stamina drain to affect him.
Tim Duncan is dope and forever.

My favorite anime and manga (characters included): https://myanimelist.net/profile/SaiyanZ?q=SaiyanZ

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:00 pm

New titles and summaries should be out anytime now, but we're probably getting only two more episodes this time: 24 (December 20th) and 25 (December 27th). First weekend of January always has a break.

For that reason i also think they'll hold out on the new ED until episode 26 (probably airing on January 10th).
Sodhi wrote:1150 copies in a week is not lame at all. Its still a new thing and people are still going to buy it, especially when they find out from other people that some things have been tweaked.
Yeah, i think the rumor that episode 5 wouldn't be fixed might have hurt first week sales a little. But either way, it's above average for an expensive box set of a long running shonen.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:11 pm

Doctor. wrote:The problem is that Goku lowering his guard goes completely against his characterization in all of the previous arcs.
How? He did do it once before, and ironically against Freeza, which almost cost him his head. We just didn't see much of that "weakness" before we didn't get a chance before, like with Goku getting overconfident in BoG (which also happened in the manga, after he defeated Piccolo Daimao).
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

sayian_nation_
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by sayian_nation_ » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:37 pm

There is no excuse for Sorbets God death beam. Toriyama was not thinking about all this, probably didn't care to much either but maybe it'll be different in Super. It is what it is at this point.

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:52 pm

Doctor. wrote:Well, one would simply ignore it as being "part of the journey", if both the journey and the end result in F didn't end up as an absolute waste of time, patience and brain cells. There's a reason why this is always coming up. It's not some joke that you're not in on, it's a legitimate writing issue. One that, admittedly, would have probably been glossed over if it was in any arc in the series, but the fact that people are so bent in discussing about it tells more about the quality of the film, than the scene itself.
It is always being brought up because people haven't dealt with the fact it was foreshadowed, it was possible and it happened. Remember Cell being blown up by Goku's Kamehame Ha? THAT'S a writing issue because Toriyama later introduced the nucleus in his head and, lo and behold, people hardly talk about that anymore and don't even bring it up when saying they don't like the Cell arc. Like you said, it would probably be glossed over if it was part of any previous arcs and it should be because it had a logical explanation.

And no, it doesn't say anything about the movie's quality, it speaks volumes more of the people complaining. Quality of anything is subjective so, either that concept doesn't apply to the movie because it can't apply to anything or the movie was successful because the actual figures say it was.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:20 pm

Saiyan_nation_ wrote:There is no excuse for Sorbets God death beam. Toriyama was not thinking about all this, probably didn't care to much either but maybe it'll be different in Super. It is what it is at this point.
To me, some fans just don't like the fact that Goku & co. can be killed by weak attacks if they are not careful. The scene doesn't contradict anything.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

FutureGohanSSJ2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by FutureGohanSSJ2 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:47 pm

So why am I seeing some people online trying to claim that Dragon Ball Super has 3 canons now? A canon that follows the movies, a canon that follows the manga, and an anime canon.

But it doesn't make any sense.

Seeing as how the movies were made out to be... Well, MOVIES; made for enjoyment factor and to sell seats moreso than anything else (hense the celebrity voice casts), and how they only have 2 movies with a 3rd no where in sight (it being a rumor), I have no idea how people think that can have a canon.

And the Manga was literally announced as being an adaptation of the anime. It's an adaptation. It /can't/ be canon. Plus, it skips an entire arc!

The anime is literally all we have for any concrete continuation of the franchise that's also being stated Toriyama is overseeing.

So...why are people trying to claim this? It really makes absolutely no sense.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:08 pm

Toriyama has only been stated to have ties with the Universe 6 material. If you want to work with a Toriyama "canon" (ugh), then for now the films are the closest you''ll get to a continuation of the manga. With all the references though, the first two arcs of Super are definitely in the continuity of the anime, with Kai probably being the better fit.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)