"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Super's manga by Toyotarō

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:12 am

I'm not really sure if I see that short Saiyan as a female either. If it is, she's lacking a lot of the standard look that Toriyama usually gives his female characters. I'd certainly be pleased if it was tough, especially if she got to have a cool fight.
omaro34 wrote:I just realized that Yajirobe, Popo, and Karin have never appeared in Super, and I don't think we will see them.
I almost have a feeling that, at least with Popo, it's intentional. The only stuff he's appeared in as of late has been stuff that's re-treading old material, like Kai - even in the remake of Plan to Destroy All Saiyans, his role was more or less ported over to Bulma. I think Toei and perhaps even Toriyama's rationale at this point is one of, for lack of a better term, very very light censorship. They're not going to remove him from re-releases of past material, because the character is still a thing that exists and it'd be stupid to try to re-edit the old shows or the manga to remove him...but they have no reason really to include him in the background of new stuff and risk even further alienation from his design.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:17 am

You all say Gohan didn't go with them but he's right there in Champa's team. He just got smaller due to not training.

Joking aside, I'm really excited about all this. I hope Boo can fight and gives his opponent as much a headache as he gave the heroes in his own arc. I love exposition, c'mon Freeza guy, don't disappoint us!

Cellkuhan doesn't seem like a jobber but I don't think he's the strongest one there so maybe he'll be Goku's rival? Or Vegeta/Piccolo's.

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:46 am

You know what would be FREAKING BADASS!?

GIVE PICCOLO THIS FUCKING OUTFIT. DO IT TORIYAMA. HE NEEDS A WARDROVE CHANGE

There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

apex_pretador
I Live Here

Post by apex_pretador » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:56 am

I think (and hope) that the cooler-piccolo purple guyis the strongest fighter in U6, and he gets to beat either goku or vegeta.
My dragon ball respect threads
Respect Piccolo
Respect Tao Pai Pai
Respect Freeza

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:17 am

I bet the purple guy will probably end up being a major bad guy. He will probably turn against everyone and tries to steal the Super Dragon Balls for themselves.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:55 am

The one thing i would really bet on now is that the Freeza guy will turn out to be a good person and eventually become an ally. I mean, it's pretty much the only route to make him interesting, compared to the other option (Coola 2.0).

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:21 am

Black_Liger wrote:You know what would be FREAKING BADASS!?

GIVE PICCOLO THIS FUCKING OUTFIT. DO IT TORIYAMA. HE NEEDS A WARDROVE CHANGE

Yes, loved that design. But just when it comes to the clothes/armor. If there is one thing that makes me anxious about Piccolo ever achieving a transformation is that he will look like DBO's Saibamen Nameks. Toryama really loved that splitting the head in the middle and giving that face patch as design choice. (I've been out of the loop Dragon Ball -wise, what happened to DBO ?)

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:40 am

Araki wrote:The one thing i would really bet on now is that the Freeza guy will turn out to be a good person and eventually become an ally. I mean, it's pretty much the only route to make him interesting, compared to the other option (Coola 2.0).
Knowing Toriyama, I think he will make Blue Freeza a good guy. We don't know need another bad Freeza type of guy since we have Coola and Chilled.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Darkron2151
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Darkron2151 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:08 am

I'm mostly excited for the Freeza character. Not really his performance in the tournament, but his backstory and character in general. Maybe we'll get more exposition on Freeza's race as a whole (and maybe an actual name for it besides "Freeza" race lol). Also, couldn't help but notice he looked a bit troubled in the last panel after Goku and Vegeta say their lines about him. Maybe he's sort of like the Freeza race character from DB Heroes where he's quiet but solemn in nature that has a chip on his shoulder due to his race's history?

Also want to know more about the small saiyan about what's different on their Planet Vegeta, new possible transformations, if they even have a SSJ legend or if they call it something else, or maybe the most important thing......where's his tail?

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:46 am

Jaetinh wrote:Why the hell is Piccolo not there with Goku and Vegeta? Come on Toriyama... give Piccolo a power up and a new outfit.
I have a gut feeling that Piccolo dying was just for him to be on Namek and use the Namek book of legends.

Ssgvegito30
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssgvegito30 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:55 am

I'm very much disappointed about the mysterious 5th fighter from u7 I hope he transforms when he gets mad also I don't like the Winnie the pooh looking character the rest of them are cool, I might like them if Anime uses their character correctly. Leaving out Gohan from the most of the cast they better have a side story maybe aliens attacking earth to rule the planet would awesome and Gohan is the only one that can protect earth....
"You may have invaded my mind and my body, but there's one thing a Saiyan always keeps! His pride!"

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:04 am

Gyt Kaliba wrote:I'm not really sure if I see that short Saiyan as a female either. If it is, she's lacking a lot of the standard look that Toriyama usually gives his female characters. I'd certainly be pleased if it was tough, especially if she got to have a cool fight.
omaro34 wrote:I just realized that Yajirobe, Popo, and Karin have never appeared in Super, and I don't think we will see them.
I almost have a feeling that, at least with Popo, it's intentional. The only stuff he's appeared in as of late has been stuff that's re-treading old material, like Kai - even in the remake of Plan to Destroy All Saiyans, his role was more or less ported over to Bulma. I think Toei and perhaps even Toriyama's rationale at this point is one of, for lack of a better term, very very light censorship. They're not going to remove him from re-releases of past material, because the character is still a thing that exists and it'd be stupid to try to re-edit the old shows or the manga to remove him...but they have no reason really to include him in the background of new stuff and risk even further alienation from his design.
That's honestly too bad. Sensitivity has dramatically increased, and nothing makes things more clear than the decision to make Popo Blue in Kai.

Ill remember this conversation for when the Anime catches up to this chapter. When the scene comes where Goku and Vegeta are training in the RoSaT which is at Kami's lookout, and if Popo doesn't appear, then you and I will both know how much of a priority censorship is to Toei and to a smaller extent Toriyama himself.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:08 am

omaro34 wrote:Ill remember this conversation for when the Anime catches up to this chapter. When the scene comes where Goku and Vegeta are training in the RoSaT which is at Kami's lookout, and Popo doesn't appear, then you and I will both know how much of a priority censorship is to Toei and to a smaller extent Toriyama himself.
Mr. Popo is technically in Chapter 7. He's not featured prominently or anything, but the shot of the sanctuary before they jump into Goku and Vegeta's RoSaT training has a shot of Dende and Popo playing tennis or badminton. I don't know which, but there is definitely a court up there and Popo's blob of a figure appears to be on the right side of the net...
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

kidhero1000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by kidhero1000 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:09 am

Hey guys, where, oh where is that Evil Goku at?

Where, oh where is the Legendary Jobber from Space, Broly at?

A lot of people in the fandom made it seem these senseless picks were such a sure bet for this arc.

He devolved into saying only one word. Time to hit the ol' cosmic trail.

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:17 am

Jaetinh wrote:Why the hell is Piccolo not there with Goku and Vegeta? Come on Toriyama... give Piccolo a power up and a new outfit.
That pissed me off too. How is Piccolo going to fight in this tournament if he doesn't get a significant power boost? I don't think he's gotten much stronger since the Cell Games. I'm kind of worried, Piccolo is my all time favorite in this series and I feel that Toriyama might make him fight first against the strongest fighter on Champa's team and get absolutely destroyed just to prove a stupid point to the audience that these new guys are legit.

With that being said, I disagree with Piccolo changing his outfit. That cape and turban is simply iconic. His batman-like entrances in DBZ movies when Gohan was in trouble looked so badass because of that cape.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Sora Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Sora Saiyan » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:43 am

Finally got through all the pages since the most recent update.

I actually really like what's going on in this chapter, and there's definitely Toriyamas influence shining through.
Monaca has been a big shock, even though Toriyama usually does betray expectations I really didn't think he would do such a basic design for this character. It makes sense with the explanation given for Monaca being shy but he/she really shouldn't wear something so tight since those nipples draw far too much attention. :lol:
I really like the designs for the other team, I like the Freeza and who knows maybe he will be Freezas twin or something? I also really like the rest, there's enough of a variety and it's much better than evil/female counterparts of our characters IMO.
Also, I do feel like we should see whether Buu or Piccolo have done some training, but the next chapter may mention something about that.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:47 am

Araki wrote:The one thing i would really bet on now is that the Freeza guy will turn out to be a good person and eventually become an ally. I mean, it's pretty much the only route to make him interesting, compared to the other option (Coola 2.0).
He can just be a neutral entity. Enemy of my enemy is my friend kinda deal or something.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:14 am

Gonna agree that Piccolo needs a costume change, he's been in the same costume since the start. He didn't get another costume for RoF unlike the others so it's time he gets a new one.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:21 am

who thinks piccolo will get a power up( namkian god especially after what happened in the anime) from the namekian book of legends
i still think vegeta and buu will lose
and piccolo goku and other guy will win.
i think vegeta will fight first because he wants to show his power off because thats vegeta character
then piccolo, goku, buu and the new guy in that order. they will leave the new guy too last to keep his power a secret

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:54 am

Piccolo getting a new costume would work since Vegeta and Goku got new ones too after entering a new style of training. Now, I know we don't know if he actually used that Namekian book for anything but if he did, giving him a new suit to visuallize his change would be cool, kind of like what New Age did. Or, and this is kind of the impression I got, Piccolo just didn't do any training, Goku and Vegeta hogging the ROSAT all to themselves makes me think this.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):