Is Movie 10 the new Movie 11?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MarCas92
Regular

Is Movie 10 the new Movie 11?

Post by MarCas92 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:02 pm

I'm doing a Kanzenshuu survey right HERE, and it seems like movie 10 is beating 11 for Worst DBZ movie. This along along with TFS DBcember ranking 11 higher than 10 made me wonder: Is there a shift in popular opinion now towards these movies?

Could it be that more of the fan base is appreciating the uniqueness to movie 11 just a tiny bit more than before?

Personally, I disagree. I think BOTH movies get way too much flak, with 7 being worse but that's just my opinion.
Last edited by MarCas92 on Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
How do you get into the Ginyu Force? With a letter of RECOOMEndation!

Doctor.
Banned

Re: Is Movie 10 the new Movie 11?

Post by Doctor. » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:11 pm

I think F is easily the worst film in the franchise, excluding Evolution, but I don't agree that 10 is worse than 11. Bio-Broly is definitely worse than Second Coming.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:21 pm

Regardless what any survey might say, Bio Broly will always be the worst DBZ movie by a mile. It's in a league of its own in terms of shitiness.

That said Movie 10 is the closest to being as bad, that or Movie 4.

Though really except for the newest two movies, none of them are any good, some are just decent.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:40 pm

MarCas92 wrote:Could it be that more of the fan base is appreciating the uniqueness to movie 13 just a tiny bit more than before?
is this a typo? Because I can't recall a time in my being fan that people didn't like Movie 13. Maybe not love-love-love it, but if a thread is started up as "Wrath of the Dragon thoughts?" or what have you, everybody's generally pretty positive.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

MarCas92
Regular

Post by MarCas92 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:45 pm

B wrote:
MarCas92 wrote:Could it be that more of the fan base is appreciating the uniqueness to movie 13 just a tiny bit more than before?
is this a typo? Because I can't recall a time in my being fan that people didn't like Movie 13.
Yup. Typo....
How do you get into the Ginyu Force? With a letter of RECOOMEndation!

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:50 pm

I don't know what you mean by New Movie 11, since Lord Slug is the worst DBZ Movie.
But Bio-Broly is better than Broly - Second Coming, yes.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:04 pm

Movie 10 is one of my favorite Z movies. Honestly never got the hate.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Retan
Advanced Regular

Post by Retan » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:27 pm

I agree Movie 7 is by far the worst of the movies.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:03 pm

Every Broly films are pure gold in terms of entertainment

Its BOG & FNF which are embarassments to the franchise

M10 was good. Sure, the plot was an insult to the Legendary Super Saiyan & turned him into a "Kakarotoo"-spounting monster.

But its a good stand-alone film

M11 (Bio-Broly) however was a great film, on par with M8.

I'll admit. As a kid, I fuckin hated Goten, Trunks & Satan.

All I wanted was Goku & Veggie action, which sadly were totally absent in M10 & M11.

Of which as a result, I hated those films

But now, as a teenager I've grown to appreciate "Non-Goku/Veggie" characters more. Their relevance (as little as it might be) offers some variety.

Scenes involvin Misuta Satan, Jaga Butta & 18 were rollicking fun

Goten & Trunks were suitably effective (cute in comedy scenes & badass when it comes to fights)

The plot was dark, which imo makes it to stand apart from regular DBZ films

M7 was garbage though. Horrible animation, useless villains & crappy plot. Ugh...

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:11 pm

Won't be voting in the poll, because I don't have any strong feelings on some of the questions, but yeah, what? Movie 10 is a good time, as far as the Z movies go. It looks good, has some fun interactions, a well-animated fight, etc., and I like the cast combination of Gohan, Videl, Goten and Trunks.

Movie 7 always stands out as the worst for me, embodying the height of Toei's pushing self-serious Dragon Ball and really just being a remarkable bore. The animation seems weakest there too.

I have to agree that all three of the Brolli films are pretty fun, even if that has little to do with his presence as a villain (except in Movie 8, where he's a genuinely frightening break from normal Dragon Ball antagonists).

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:15 pm

Bio Broly is only the DBZ movie that I ended up falling asleep while watching it.

That says everything about how awful that movie is.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:32 am

Movie 10 has Krillin cosplaying Piccolo, for no discernible reason. It's also got "Here's what Videl interacting with Trunks and Goten would be like." which I appreciate in light of Super. Oh yeah and them imagining their wishes coming true. Lots of pastries. Pirate Trunks.

Movie 11 has 18 and Mr Satan comedy duo antics. Oh, and Trunks explaining English science terms to Goten.

Movie 10 between the two of them for me I guess.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:38 am

Movie 4 is absolutely god awful. Lord Slug is such a shameless rehash of King Piccolo, they didn't even try to disguise him as a new thing like Cooler was to Freeza or so forth.

Goku also going "almost Super Saiyan" was garbage. I'm surprised most people don't all agree Movie 4 has no redeemable qualities.

Thouser
Beyond Newbie

Post by Thouser » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:56 pm

precita wrote:Movie 4 has no redeemable qualities.
The scene where Piccolo rips his ears off is more entertaining to me than a lot of parts of the other movies. It's so stupid and over the top that it makes me laugh every time.

The Speedy dub of Movie 4 also has some of my favorite stupid dub lines ever.
Son Goku wrote:The Sun. I ask of you only one thing: please give me a little genki!
"Like that bald punk? Killyin... You're talking about Killyin?!!" - Anime Labs

「他们並不是我孫兒... 是我弟弟。」 - 龜仙人

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:55 am

What I don't understand about Movie 10 is why the dragon didn't appear when Goten summoned him in the cave. And later on if the dragon did grant their wish of seeing Goku, howcome the dragon itself didn't appear and just flashed? Shenron had no appearance in the movie.

I no I'm probably overthinking this, but its my only problem with the film.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:25 am

I actually like Giji Super Saiyan.

Then again, I also like SSJG...
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:02 am

Movie 10 needed to be about 10 minutes shorter, but other than that its not too bad or offensive. Unless you count the part where Videl manages to dodge Broly's first punch. A normal human girl dodging a punch of an ascended Super Saiyan is pretty odd.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:57 am

precita wrote:Movie 4 is absolutely god awful. Lord Slug is such a shameless rehash of King Piccolo, they didn't even try to disguise him as a new thing like Cooler was to Freeza or so forth.

Goku also going "almost Super Saiyan" was garbage. I'm surprised most people don't all agree Movie 4 has no redeemable qualities.
I love movie 4. Fights are awesome, the giant form returns and i didn't fell asleep while watching it (like i did with 10) . All 13 movies are copy/paste of anime arcs, 4 is just not so good at hiding it.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:21 am

precita wrote:What I don't understand about Movie 10 is why the dragon didn't appear when Goten summoned him in the cave. And later on if the dragon did grant their wish of seeing Goku, howcome the dragon itself didn't appear and just flashed? Shenron had no appearance in the movie.

I no I'm probably overthinking this, but its my only problem with the film.
You can tell whenever anyone wants to Call Shenron

1. The balls are arranged in some kinda circular shape

2. Its done in open space.

Unfortunately, Goten merely tossed Dragonballs frm his bag-pack & you can tell 1 or 2 of the balls were stuck in the cracks of the cave
Besides, I think the water-fall cave isnt exactly an open space

Most importantly, the sequence have always been

1. Ideyoo Shenron ~ Rise Shenron

2. Make the wish

All Goten did was askin the "balls" to defeat the Bakemono/Broly

As for ur 2nd question, look up for dramatic overtones

Gohan & Goten were busy countering Broly's Omega Blaster

No one even seem to think abt DB's, while Goten merely "requested" Shenron's help in his Kokoro/heart

Shenron appearing would result in catastrophore

Broly MFker would've freakin blasted Shenron to pieces

Secondly, questions will arise on how dafuq Shenron was able to help defeat Broly cuz Shenron himzelf has said he cannot grant wishes beyond his powers

Hence, the most logical option is to bring Goku down (at least temporarily) to boost Gohan & Goten.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:59 pm

I still dislike Movie 11 more. Movie 11 felt like that they where out of ideas and end up bring back Broli again. Even if Bio Broli was not Broli and was a stand alone villain, I still dislike him. I find Bio Broli himself to be ugly and boring. He didn't give us anything new and different from any past villains. Movie 10 is still bad because the movie is dull to sit through and they didn't do anything new with Broli returning. At least with Tao, Freeza and Coola, they came back as cyborgs. Movie 10 was just Broli back stronger ever than before.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/