Which studio would be perfect for dbs?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

pacz360
I Live Here

Which studio would be perfect for dbs?

Post by pacz360 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:29 am

Cause toei lately shown they don't care about it which studio you woud prefer to animate super? Madhouse,bones,studio trigger etc.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: Which studio would be perfect for dbs?

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:02 pm

I think Madhouse or Bones would do a great job animating Dragon Ball.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:07 pm

Any studio would be "perfect" as long as they respect the series enough. You could give Dragon Ball to Madhouse but if they don't respect the series like they do with One Punch Man for example, it'd end up exactly like Toei's Dragon Ball, just perhaps with a bit more consistent animation.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:37 pm

The studio doesn't matter so long as there's support from the production committee members to create something good. Besides, Bones has a half dozen series in production right now, to say nothing of Madhouse having having no real in-house talent to speak of.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Jaetinh
Regular

Post by Jaetinh » Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:49 pm

Madhouse for sure. I'd take 12 episodes from Madhouse rather than 100 episodes from Toei any day of the week.

Michie
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Michie » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:51 pm

Doctor. wrote:Any studio would be "perfect" as long as they respect the series enough. You could give Dragon Ball to Madhouse but if they don't respect the series like they do with One Punch Man for example, it'd end up exactly like Toei's Dragon Ball, just perhaps with a bit more consistent animation.
Madhouse also did a fantastic job with the HxH reboot. Like DBS the HxH reboot was a ongoing anime.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:32 pm

Toei. While I'm curious to see how Dragon Ball would turn out by Madhouse or Bones, I still wouldn't completely take the rights from Toei.
My only wish is for they put their shit together and stop working against the clock. I'm a patient man. I wouldn't mind if they did DBS for seasons. I can wait for quality.

Also, there's no point in dreaming for impossible things. Toei is with this series for almost 30 years. There's no way, they will leave their best selling franchise go away.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:24 pm

Toei is actually good enough, only problem is they lack passion for DBS, OPM had amazing animation due to free lancers loving what they were doing. DBS ep 13 (12mints above) proves Toei can do a good enough job as madhouse can.

Rukura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Rukura » Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:16 pm

Any studio that isn't Toei. Plain and simple.

This was definitely the year of Toei bastardizing its flagships, with Sailor Moon Crystal, Saint Seiya: Soul of Gold and the lackluster adaptations of the very recent Dragon Ball movies when they could've simply started right after F. As much as I enjoyed the in-between episodes and (some of) the expanded content.

I'll take one good season every year from Madhouse or IG over one season from Toei, let alone an on-going series.
Full checklist of all Xenoverse clothing pieces, accessories and Z-Souls (Many thanks to jrdemr for the Z-Souls sheet): https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8vxc8m0fehev ... .xlsx?dl=0

CosmicSaiyan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by CosmicSaiyan » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:20 pm

I dont think madhouse would do well with series like DBS.
Also their series dont usually go beyond 12 episodes which means that they would have to have multiple seasons or they would either have to shrink BoG and RoF in 5 episodes or move straight to the Champa arc, changing the general pacing and writing of the story.

Michie
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Michie » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:37 pm

CosmicSaiyan wrote:I dont think madhouse would do well with series like DBS.
Also their series dont usually go beyond 12 episodes which means that they would have to have multiple seasons or they would either have to shrink BoG and RoF in 5 episodes or move straight to the Champa arc, changing the general pacing and writing of the story.
Lot's of Madhouse created anime have more than 12 episodes. I recommend looking at their Myanimelist profile:
http://myanimelist.net/anime/producer/11

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:47 pm

Mad House would do a great job with it especially if the staff are fans of the franchise.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

voltlunok
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by voltlunok » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:55 pm

In all honesty, I'm getting a little tired of these topics. I think Toei is doing fine so far. Could they do better? Sure! But that would require animators who have an actual passion for dragon ball to be working on the projects, as well as more TIME (Maybe a bigger budget.) But taking DBS, ripping it from Toei's hands and shoving it onto another studio would do more harm then good cause really, what guarantee do we have that this new studio would give two cruds about dragon ball enough to put in the elbow grease needed to really make shit shine!

If pressed to answer the question though...take your pick from one of Sunrise's 13 studios.
Personally I'd pick studios 1 through 4, as well as studio 10 and for giggles studio 8. Mostly cause I loved the style Accel World had.
Going on hiatus. Too much stuff in RL to deal with for me to keep up with posts here for now. Was fun, hope you all have a nice day and future! Volt signing off.

With the many years on the net I've spent...I've learned being polite takes you much further then being a dick. So...lesson here is! Don't be a dick!

"Fill up your stomach and your happiness! " - Cure Honey

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:06 am

I get sick of these threads too. Toei can animated Dragon Ball fine. Sure Super can be better at times, but it's not awful. At least Toei can make Dragon Ball feel colorful look to it capturing the world that Toriyama created. Fans will want someone else to animated Dragon Ball and they end up hating it later on. I always notice that people here will want something and end up hating it once they get it.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:40 am

Shueisha and the other production committee members would force any other studio to produce a project under similar circumstances.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:48 am

JulieYBM wrote:Shueisha and the other production committee members would force any other studio to produce a project under similar circumstances.
Shueisha has no say in deciding how to schedule or finance Toei's animation teams and key employees.

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:46 am

JulieYBM wrote:The studio doesn't matter so long as there's support from the production committee members to create something good. Besides, Bones has a half dozen series in production right now, to say nothing of Madhouse having having no real in-house talent to speak of.
Yeah, the thing is that Madhouse is certainly overrated these days. Their track record has plenty of terrible animes - has anyone here watched Chaos;Head, for instance? it's pure garbage. A lot of light novels/visual novels fans hate them for adaptations like that.

Or even worse, the hilariously awful Ninja Scroll tv series? The ridiculous Tenjou Tenge adaptation? And what about their Marvel animes? Toei's Disk Wars was probably better than all of those.

I think this trend comes mostly from Hunter x Hunter fans - which didn't have stellar budget or anything, they just used their resources smartly. I mean, i don't remember the series having any instance of great animation before the 30s, when Gon fought Hisoka. Besides, the staff had 300+ chapters of manga ready for them, which always helps the planning. They knew a long time in advance what moments would require good key animation, for instance.

Anyway, people who follow anime closely know that Madhouse isn't all that.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:03 am

People say that Toei in the past was way better then now. Toei did some awful animation in the past. Anyone remember or seen Psychic Wars? It look like shit even back in 1991.
Last edited by Hellspawn28 on Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:20 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:People say that Toei in the past was way better then now? Toei did some awful animation in the past? Anyone remember or seen Psychic Wars? It look like shit even back in 1991.
Toei always operated the same way, it's mostly that people have nostalgic attachments to their old animations. I've seen that a lot when Saint Seiya Omega was airing and old fans of the franchise would bash it while comparing to the classic anime, that looked like shit 90% of the time.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:04 am

Basaku wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:Shueisha and the other production committee members would force any other studio to produce a project under similar circumstances.
Shueisha has no say in deciding how to schedule or finance Toei's animation teams and key employees.
Yes, they do. Shueisha own Dragon Ball lock, stock and barrel. It's legally their property to manage with as they please and they ultimately call the shots on the future of the franchise. Imagine that Dragon Ball is like WWE, Shueisha is Vince McMahon and Toei is Kevin Dunn. Toei may have a significant stake in Dragon Ball, but they ultimately answer to a higher power.