Is this how you imagined the franchise being revived?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sintzu
Banned

Re: Is this how you imagined the franchise being revived?

Post by sintzu » Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:16 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
It's interesting that Heroes is becoming a substitute for the series that never was (AF).
Do you think we'll get AF's Ssj5 or another version of it ?
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Low Tone G
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Low Tone G » Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:28 pm

My short answer is NO for the thread's title. I've allways hoped for a GT continuation for some reason even if I wasn't too satistied with GT.
English is not my first language!
I'm still waiting for Dragon Ball in Super...

Akumaito Beam
Regular

Post by Akumaito Beam » Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:58 pm

Super is pretty much what I expected to happen after watching the train wreck that was Sailor Moon Crystal. The circumstances between the two shows were different but the half-assed nostalgia coasting is very much the same.

All this new material taking place in that small time gap before the Oob tournament really bogs the story down. I was hoping to get away from the main cast who truly have nothing left to offer. I didn’t want yet more Super Saiyan transformations and Gods which is the only direction they have left to go considering the ludicrous power creep throughout the story. It all feels shoehorned and unneeded.This added material is entirely unremarkable in my book. Ultimately there’s nowhere left to go with Goku which is something that became apparent when Toriyama kept writing him out of 90% of the latter half of the story. It all just seems redundant. GT had endless faults but it honestly felt like it was spinning its wheels in the mud a lot less than these new projects.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:04 pm

I knew that we would never get a sequel to GT since most people didn't like GT and I doubt most people will want to see a sequel to GT. Not to mention GT ended in 1997, its been too long. Kids in Japan watching TV was not born when GT was airing in 1996-1997. With Super, we had Kai and the series was still fresh in people's minds. Also a show that fouces around Goku Jr would flop since everyone else is dead and people would turn against it for not having Goku or Vegeta. If you did a show taken place in the 100 year gab then it would be hard to do a show without Goku since he is the main hero of the show. Having Goku return so soon after the Shadow Dragons arc will ruin the ending to GT and Heroes Legacy.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:23 pm

The problem is there's no place else to go with Goku and Vegeta. Their rivalry was resolved at the end of the Buu saga when Vegeta admitted Goku was always better than him. However now Super and the new movies seemingly forgotten that and regressed their characters.

I really loved the Beerus movie, especially the extended addition, but even then it felt more "final" to me rather than something that could go on from there.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:52 pm

sintzu wrote:
It's interesting that Heroes is becoming a substitute for the series that never was (AF).
Doubt it.
Hellspawn28 wrote:I knew that we would never get a sequel to GT since most people didn't like GT and I doubt most people will want to see a sequel to GT. Not to mention GT ended in 1997, its been too long. Kids in Japan watching TV was not born when GT was airing in 1996-1997. With Super, we had Kai and the series was still fresh in people's minds. Also a show that fouces around Goku Jr would flop since everyone else is dead and people would turn against it for not having Goku or Vegeta. If you did a show taken place in the 100 year gab then it would be hard to do a show without Goku since he is the main hero of the show. Having Goku return so soon after the Shadow Dragons arc will ruin the ending to GT and Heroes Legacy.
True, but had Toriyama not changed his mind about allowing a new series to be made TOEI probably would have done a sequel to GT because it was their series after all.

Nicktoons aired GT during the Kai era, Fuji TV could have done the same and kept it fresh in people's minds.

They could have explored Goku's travels with Shenron without him returning to his family, but then again it could be argued that scene was intentionally left ambiguous.
precita wrote:The problem is there's no place else to go with Goku and Vegeta. Their rivalry was resolved at the end of the Buu saga when Vegeta admitted Goku was always better than him. However now Super and the new movies seemingly forgotten that and regressed their characters.

I really loved the Beerus movie, especially the extended addition, but even then it felt more "final" to me rather than something that could go on from there.
That is a good point. I kinda relate this to the current Toriyama, who especially at his age just wants to write fun, simple stories, we won't see the carefulness/consistency of the original Dragon Ball again.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:48 pm

precita wrote:The problem is there's no place else to go with Goku and Vegeta. Their rivalry was resolved at the end of the Buu saga when Vegeta admitted Goku was always better than him. However now Super and the new movies seemingly forgotten that and regressed their characters.
You do know in the Kanzenban release of the manga that has an alternate ending where Vegeta states he will surpass Goku one day, right?

Anyways, I never thought we would never get any new material after GT. Even when the 2008 OVA happened I knew it was a one-time thing. That feeling remained the same even after Battle Of Gods, because after Kai bombed commercially I thought there was really no interest in new Dragon Ball stories, after in Japan. Then Ressurection F was announced and then Dragon Ball Super was announced, and I realised they were really bringing the Dragon Ball anime franchise back from the dead. And it was spectacular.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:47 pm

sintzu wrote:
I highly doubt it. With the god forms being the brand new hot and relevant thing at the moment, making a official SSj5 would not work. We have SSjG and SSjGSSj. Adding another form into the mix will get confusing. Not to mention Super could give Goku and Vegeta new forms and mark them as "The strongest form ever in Dragon Ball History!!". Even Battle of Z market Super Saiyan God as "Goku's most powerful form yet!" since it was brand new at the time.
She/Her

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:53 pm

Does it really matter what videogames do? They're harmless non-canon stuff. Its not like they made a TV series out of heroes or anything.

The videogames have had non-canon stuff for years. Anyone remember Tiencha, the fusion of Tien and Yamcha from Budokai 2 back in 2004?

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:07 am

Whenever I thought of the franchise continuing, I always thought it would be after GT. I never once imagined that it would take place before the end of the manga. Beerus and Whis are better than anything I could ever ask for, so I'm happy about that.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:33 am

Edit: Delete this post
Last edited by Hellspawn28 on Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
She/Her

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:52 am

The movies were something I imagined and hoped for. The new series, however, is something I never thought would ever happen. I imagined the movies being more like the Jump Special in that nothing really would be affected by the movies so I was wrong there. I also hope that the movies continue because they've been better than Super so far.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:12 pm

I have a hard time seeing it as revived. All that is new feel like a big special for me. I mean, if revived is just meant as "new stuff" without any more context then it is probably fine but new stuff is nothing new.

I would want a pre-100 year skip sequel to GT.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:19 pm

This as realistic a road for the franchise to have taken as any. It's a stupid kids franchise stuck in an industry with many series airing at once and little in the way of time to be produced correctly.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:27 am

The only thing I was confident about a new series having is a new antagonist and new forms for Goku, so I guess yes?
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:10 pm

I expected new series would be created, but didn't think it would take place before EOZ. Still hope we're not gonna be stuck in this period forever

shinmaru
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shinmaru » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:47 pm

No, never imagined that the SFX BGM and Animation would sound, look and move like it does. Super is sometimes enjoyable to watch just because it's Dragon Ball but the magic feeling is gone that even GT has. My last hope is that they will put more effort into the show when the new stuff starts off

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:59 pm

I never imagined Dragon Ball would come back, but I did imagine that if it did, it'd be GT all over again. Needless to say I think I was half right. It came back, it's GT all over again, and it's less entertaining than GT.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Imtoooldforthis

Post by Imtoooldforthis » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:12 pm

Akumaito Beam wrote: All this new material taking place in that small time gap before the Oob tournament really bogs the story down. I was hoping to get away from the main cast who truly have nothing left to offer. I didn’t want yet more Super Saiyan transformations and Gods which is the only direction they have left to go considering the ludicrous power creep throughout the story. It all feels shoehorned and unneeded.This added material is entirely unremarkable in my book. Ultimately there’s nowhere left to go with Goku which is something that became apparent when Toriyama kept writing him out of 90% of the latter half of the story. It all just seems redundant. GT had endless faults but it honestly felt like it was spinning its wheels in the mud a lot less than these new projects.
It's what I think: they are too powerful now, any increase of power is just silly. The only way to take it "seriously" is that they only fight gods like Beerus. But when they bring back effing Freeza and want us to believe that a little training would make him stronger than SSJG and stuff, it's just pathetic. The old characters got too weak to keep up, so yeah I guess the only way to make this fun would be to have the younger characters take over and let Goku and Vegeta be old.
Basaku wrote:I expected new series would be created, but didn't think it would take place before EOZ. Still hope we're not gonna be stuck in this period forever
Me neither. Actually for some reason it took me some time to realize this. First I was just like "where the hell is Oob?" I guess I didn't pay enough attention to the timelines :P.
dbzfan7 wrote:and it's less entertaining than GT.
that's the saddest part! At GT had better ideas with the SSJ4 and the shadow dragons, and even the super android 17 was conceptually more exciting than the idea of bringing Freeza back, for some reason.
"without music, life would be a mistake" nietzsche

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:58 pm

I found Freeza coming back better then #17 coming back in my opinion. Super 17 seem like a bad and random idea since #17 never felt like that he was made to be a major villain. Freeza is iconic and has a major impact in the DBZ universe. Not to mention Dr. Gero said in GT that he made #17 as his ultimate creation which is stupid because it ruins the idea of Cell. Dr. Gero created Cell to be his ultimate creation and #17-#18 are just made for Cell to become even stronger. I still wish GT just made a original villain then making Super 17. Super 17 has a sick design, I give them credit for that.
She/Her