Was Kai Necessary

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sintzu
Banned

Re: Was Kai Necessary

Post by sintzu » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:51 pm

VegetaSSJG wrote:Even though it wasn't fully re-animated...
If Super is anything to go by then it's a good thing they didn't reanimate it.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:27 am

All Kai proved is how a lot of the filler in DBZ is actually good. The padding during the fights being removed was a good thing though.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:14 am

precita wrote:All Kai proved is how a lot of the filler in DBZ is actually good. The padding during the fights being removed was a good thing though.
Dragon Ball filler is not bad at all, fans just like to overexaggerate things, its nothing compared to Naruto, Bleach filler or One Piece pacing. Most of it is really good and nicely integrated into the main story.

Nickolaus
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Nickolaus » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:29 am

Kuririn Fan wrote:
precita wrote:All Kai proved is how a lot of the filler in DBZ is actually good. The padding during the fights being removed was a good thing though.
Dragon Ball filler is not bad at all, fans just like to overexaggerate things, its nothing compared to Naruto, Bleach filler or One Piece pacing. Most of it is really good and nicely integrated into the main story.
Dragon Ball is no where near the pacing of One Piece or the other anime you listed, but there have been some moments in filler that are awful. I agree somewhat to the exaggeration of fans disliking filler. It is almost as bad as fans exaggerating how GT is the worst thing to ever be produced.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:21 am

Well, not in my country at least. We get DB Kai in late 2010 and it was all messed up, it had a lot of changes in the original dub cast and because Kenji Yamamoto plagiarism, we got the show with the old Shunsuke Kikichi soundtrack which is not a bad thing, but the replacement was awful like hearing Boo Arc tracks in Freeza Arc it felt weird for me.

In my opinion, the best thing Toei could do would give us a new animated series faithful to the first to the last volume to the manga, with no division (DB and Z) both would be just "Dragonball", maybe with some fillers to handle the fast pacing but yet faithful and with fights straight to the point.

A man can dream
Last edited by Noah on Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

VegetaSSJG

Post by VegetaSSJG » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:50 am

I remember when people saw Ultimate Tenkaichi's cutscenes and were all like "Y ISN KAIY RE ENIMATED IN DIS STYUL TOEI R RETUDS!!!!11!!!!!1!!111!"

Good times...
(I know my profile picture doesn't match my account name, now go away)

My pages-YouTube, Tumblr, DeviantArt, Twitter:
https://elink.io/p/booyacy

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:38 pm

VegetaSSJG wrote:I remember when people saw Ultimate Tenkaichi's cutscenes and were all like "Y ISN KAIY RE ENIMATED IN DIS STYUL TOEI R RETUDS!!!!11!!!!!1!!111!"

Good times...
Yet they didn't seem to get just how big of a budget the show would need to look like that or hell even the new movies. Super proved what we would've gotten animation that looks good half the time and not really great the other half
PSN SonGoku325
DeviantArt http://narut6228.deviantart.com/

Innocent-Halfbreed

Post by Innocent-Halfbreed » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:13 pm

English: YES AND YES. Japanese: Ehhh, not really, but still an option if you want it. If Kai was an English only thing, I would have no problems. But sadly, a lot of people do.
One day, when I grow up, I wanna be a scholar.

Bagginses
Banned

Post by Bagginses » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:50 am

sintzu wrote:
Froggy wrote:Unfortunately they left many fillers intact.
A lot of what they left in couldn't be removed due to it being too integrated into the Manga's story.
Being too integrated into the Manga's story? Isn't filler by definition something that isn't in the manga? I think you mean ''being too integrated into the anime's story''.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:04 pm

Bagginses wrote:
sintzu wrote:
Froggy wrote:Unfortunately they left many fillers intact.
A lot of what they left in couldn't be removed due to it being too integrated into the Manga's story.
Being too integrated into the Manga's story? Isn't filler by definition something that isn't in the manga? I think you mean ''being too integrated into the anime's story''.
I mean the parts that are taken from the manga.

Bagginses
Banned

Post by Bagginses » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:31 pm

sintzu wrote:I mean the parts that are taken from the manga.
You mean the parts that are actually in the manga (so ''canon''), but are padded out (instead of being, say, a completely made up filler)?

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:52 pm

Bagginses wrote:
You mean the parts that are actually in the manga (so ''canon''), but are padded out (instead of being, say, a completely made up filler)?
Yeah like the fights cause in the manga they're way too short for an anime.

Bagginses
Banned

Post by Bagginses » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:36 pm

sintzu wrote:
Bagginses wrote:
Yeah like the fights cause in the manga they're way too short for an anime.
Oh, I get it now. Some fights in the manga are definitely too short for an anime. However, I feel that the original anime (Z) sometimes went overboard with it, stretching the fights for way too long. Some of that stuff could certainly have been trimmed. In those cases, I think it would be better if it stayed like it was in the manga.

ShaneisMC
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ShaneisMC » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:26 pm

What most people said. I'm really glad that they made a cut of the show that closer follows the manga. Regardless of whether or not some filler was good or bad it is still filler. So its nice to have a version of the show that is more faithful. Production wise for the Japanese it doesnt exactly hold up to the original so theres that...... however obviously internationally especially Funimations dub dear God it is absolutely essential as far as I'm concerned. I literally cant watch the original dub anymore. I just cant do it. Utterly abysmal embarrassing joke.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:39 pm

The cutting out of filler doesn't really bother me very much honestly. Anytime I watch Kai and I feel like sitting through a bit of filler I go to Z and then back to Kai.

I love the idea of having two versions of a show where you can spend as much time on it as you want, or see a shorter version if for whatever reason I don't have as much time to sit through a full 291.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

zDBZ
Beyond Newbie

Post by zDBZ » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:29 pm

Seeing how Funi rerecorded parts of their original dub anyway, Kai was arguably unnecessary even in the US - a full new dub of the original could have been commissioned.

I'm glad it had a hand in re-energizing the series, but I don't feel on balance that Kai had a lot to offer. Having multiple animation styles in a single episode due to the re-editing was often distracting, and the quicker pace at times worked against the story IMO. I'm as happy as anyone that the Namek fights didn't drag on as much, but other scenes and set-pieces arguably benefited from being filled out for a motion picture medium.

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by MR.Mark » Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:44 pm

For the improved pacing and ten fold better Eng Dub, you better believe it was necessary. However is the original DBZ anime still relevant in a way? Yes of course.

Funi should just bite the bullet and usher in a new dub for DBZ for any future media releases and just keep the old dub track around as the "nostalgia track" because we all know that's the only reason that dub has any staying power with fans whatsoever.

Now, I know dubbing 291 episodes again would be costly, however if you recall originally funi considered only splicing there old dub into Kai instead of re dubbing, but thankfully they opted against it.
Though now we have a similar situation that actually makes sense: Use the Kai dub for DBZ and just fill in the blanks.

This isn't like there hack DBZ dub where we hear an improved Sabat re dubbing his lines and clashing horribly with Sean's out of date Goku performance. The direction and acting is at a level now where they could use the Kai dub, fill in the padding and such with the actors, and it would all sound consistent with each other. Seeing how we're stuck with how Funi pronounces Saiyan, attacks, and certain names, I see no reason to redub DBZ from the ground up, half the work is already done.

I just wouldn't want to be the sound editor in charge of going through the footage and syncing it up, heh, price to pay for saving cash though.

Corey LSSJ Gamer

Post by Corey LSSJ Gamer » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:27 pm

No totally unnecessary

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:04 am

Japan: Not really (though the Freeza Saga needed to be cut down)
North America: YES!!!

It gained a lot of respect for FUNimation in how they handle Dragon Ball from fans.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Android 50
Beyond Newbie

Post by Android 50 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:30 pm

Not really. I never had a problem with Z's pacing and I still prefer Freeza and Bulma's original dub voices easily over their kai ones. Rest of the new dub is pretty good tho.
Maron is stacked!!