"Dragon Ball Super" Animation Staff Discussion

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Araki
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Animation Staff Discussion

Post by Araki » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:56 am

And it's seven weeks, actually. Don't forget the break.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:37 am

I just noticed that Shida Naotoshi isn't credited as a storyboard artist. I guess he's left the series or is at the very least going to be focused on PreCure or One Piece for a while. He probably wanted to do Gear Fourth, which is coming up in the next Fukuzawa/Hisada episode.
Araki wrote:And it's seven weeks, actually. Don't forget the break.
Bah, I keep forgetting that week off despite being so excited for Tate's next episode.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:25 pm

Or it could be that Shida is finally assigned as a key animator to do key animation for the final weeks of the arc.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:05 pm

While not impossible, I think given the timing he is off working on another show. Shida does have history of being anle to board and do genga for the same episode.
She/Her
bisexual milf

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:33 am

Its funny not seeing Shida, because my favourite fight scene in BOG Movie was done by him and in BOG Super was a tribute to him...
Hope he still does something for U6 tournament. :?
I also want Yamamuro back. I loved ROF and I don't any problem with this style.

-About SSG Goku Vs Beerus-
Was the writer, in this case King Ryu, the one responsible for their feats?!The idea of 3 brofist from these two be able to destroy their universe and such came from him?
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:15 am

Shida worked on One Piece Episode #725 and would appear to be working on Episode #726, too. Don't expect him to work on Dragon Ball Super for a while.
She/Her
bisexual milf

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:31 am

JulieYBM wrote:Shida worked on One Piece Episode #725 and would appear to be working on Episode #726, too. Don't expect him to work on Dragon Ball Super for a while.
Shida is doing Gear Fourth??! Lucky One Piece fanbase.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:39 pm

The Animation AND Art of last episode were horrendously bad. Extremely bad. Golden Freeza looks ugly as fuck. But there were so many bad shots you don't even have to pause to find it.
Anyways looks like next episode has a lot better animation. Bout time. They should have at least ONE episode of the Frieza fight to actually look good.. So far all 3 episodes have been bad. With episode 24 looking the best imo.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:47 pm

Next episode looks just as bad. I didn't see any well-animated scene in the preview, to be honest.

Lookerman

Post by Lookerman » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:38 pm

The last couple episodes look like trash. And considering Tate was the supervisor on this one. I'm actually amazed the quality got worse.

Even Tate's own scene looked like garbage this time. I agree with GodVegetto on how Golden Frieza looks like an ugly motherfucker. I think some of the worst drawings came from Tate's scene. And not because he was getting the shit kicked out of him, either.

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:59 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote: -About SSG Goku Vs Beerus-
Was the writer, in this case King Ryu, the one responsible for their feats?!The idea of 3 brofist from these two be able to destroy their universe and such came from him?
King Ryu has written Episode 2,6,11,12,13,14 and 21 so far.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:36 pm

They are really gonna have to step up in the animation department in a more consistent basis when it comes to Universe 6 arc. I mean, Super, as far as animation and art goes, started off alright. The art and animation for the Battle Of Gods arc was decent for the most part. And some episode actually stood out to be, well, visually brilliant, such as EP 4 and EP 16. With the only real major blight coming from EP5, which got fixed anyway on the home release. But the Resurrection F arc so far has been really a rollercoaster. The Tate cute from EP 26 has been the only moment where the art of the animation looked impressive in recent episodes, but even that didn't last long. The last three episode in particular have looked awful, spare one or two moments.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:56 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:They are really gonna have to step up in the animation department in a more consistent basis when it comes to Universe 6 arc. I mean, Super, as far as animation and art goes, started off alright.
I rewatched some clips of the first 2 episodes today and I remembered what I said back then: "I don't have any problem if animation/art keeps like this." Well, its been a ride since then...

Dragon Ball is the only anime that makes me worry this much about the animation. I never cared about the staff before Super.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:01 pm

I've mostly given up hope on the animation for Super. That's part of why I've decided to follow the writers instead (the other part is each writer has their own stuff they tend to focus on).
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:07 pm

I will wait and see.
I really liked Tate's cut this week. One of my favourite fighthing sequences in Super so far.

I mean, one could even say Toei is almost "forced" to to cool fight scenes in the next arc. We're gonna have a 5vs5 tournament...
Luffy and Doflamingo is reaching the climax, with an epic Gear Fourth tranformation. There's no interesting fight in OP after that so far.

Super deserves some love too and U6 is the new thing.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:19 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:I will wait and see.
I really liked Tate's cut this week. One of my favourite fighthing sequences in Super so far.

I mean, one could even say Toei is almost "forced" to to cool fight scenes in the next arc. We're gonna to a 5vs5 tournament...
Luffy and Doflamingo is reaching the climax, with an epic Gear Fourth tranformation. There's no interesting fight in OP after that so far.

Super deserves some love too and U6 is the new thing.
I also enjoyed Tate's cut. He can make really cool stuff when given the time.

Re: OP

That's true, in the manga
Re: 5 vs 5

I really hope they put some time/effort into the next arc's animation. Part of why I've been following Toei's Precure is the sheer amount of love they pour into the battle animation. I might not be following next year's Precure because it isn't to my taste (still gonna give ep 1 a try though, wouldn't be fair for me to not give the first ep a try), but I'll still be checking out sakugabooru for whichever cuts from MahoPri end up there.

Go!Pri actually has a special guest animator this coming weekend; he did another Go!Pri episode earlier in the season, he's really good. (But I forget his name. ^^; )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUnBASODbjo
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:36 pm

Chuquita wrote:I've mostly given up hope on the animation for Super. That's part of why I've decided to follow the writers instead (the other part is each writer has their own stuff they tend to focus on).
I am so happy that first two episodes of uni.6 will be done by king ryu. It would give that arc a decent start just from writing perspective. As for the animation it could get better if they have been focusing on that arc.Although I have to say episode 28, the starting episode does not have a really good animation supervisor(imo).

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:40 pm

Chuquita wrote:
Go!Pri actually has a special guest animator this coming weekend; he did another Go!Pri episode earlier in the season, he's really good. (But I forget his name. ^^; )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUnBASODbjo
I know that watanabe is doing the animation for next week's precure, who is a really good action animator just like shida.

raulvalente
Beyond Newbie

Post by raulvalente » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:41 pm

There's one thing I don't understand. Is it the financial aspect that keeps Toei from expanding the production crew? By that I mean hiring more animation supervisors to make the rotation between episodes be less sufocating. Like... bringing Yamamuro, Iseki or Seizo to the table, or, I don't know, another crew of competent animators so that each team has a reasonable amount of time to work on an episode. At least for U6 arc the episodes shouldn't be this rushed.

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:50 pm

raulvalente wrote:There's one thing I don't understand. Is it the financial aspect that keeps Toei from expanding the production crew? By that I mean hiring more animation supervisors to make the rotation between episodes be less sufocating. Like... bringing Yamamuro, Iseki or Seizo to the table, or, I don't know, another crew of competent animators so that each team has a reasonable amount of time to work on an episode. At least for U6 arc the episodes shouldn't be this rushed.
There is no problem in the production crew. Last few episode of super had have 2-3 animation supervisors in them, which is not the norm. Now if you are asking for where are the really good animator, then its simple they dont want to work for a series that is so rushed, so they choose other shows like one piece or precure, Case files R etc.