Dragon Ball Super ROF arc - Your thoughts?!

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Dragon Ball Super ROF arc - Your thoughts?!

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:24 pm

(Can any Mod/Admin move this to Super section?! Thank you.)

ROF arc ended. Just like BOG arc thread, I created this one to leave our overall thoughts about the entire Super ROF arc. Go on!
Last edited by FortuneSSJ on Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Dragon Ball Super ROF arc - Your thoughts?!

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:31 pm

I stopped watching after I saw Vegeta in a pink apron willing to wipe Beerus' butt for training. Curiosity led me to watch the episode where Ginyu returned. As expected, it was weak, poorly executed, and pointless in the long run. Finally, I gave episode 26 a try. The cutaways, battle, and animation were so bad, I questioned why I bothered.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:34 pm

The Resurrection F arc was absolute horse shite.

The final episode saved this arc from being Super 17 arc level bad. Do yourself a favour and watch the movie instead.
Last edited by Lord Beerus on Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:36 pm

The F arc was absolute garbage and, surprisingly, it was still much better written than the film it was based on.

God help this franchise.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:40 pm

It was alright I suppose but overall disappointing, they had a chance at extending past the movie which RoF in particular needed and they didn't which was a wasted opportunity.

Like I said in another post, even though Resurrection F is a much better movie than Battle of Gods when it comes to Super the BoG arc was better.

Again though just like with Battle of Gods, the Resurrection F movie was far better than Super counterpart, at least in that they got on with the fighting without constantly cutting back to Bulma strangling Jaco for the umpteenth time.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:44 pm

Doctor. wrote:God help this franchise.
How the hell is Dende gonna help the franchise?

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:47 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Doctor. wrote:God help this franchise.
How the hell is Dende gonna help the franchise?
I'm more of a Kaioshin follower myself.

MozillaVulpix
Regular

Post by MozillaVulpix » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:49 pm

Better story, worse fights. Also, Ginyu was completely unnecessary.
I could have gotten into anything...and yet I chose the story aimed at young Japanese boys about martial arts, and later about super-powerful aliens punching each other really hard.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MozillaVulpix

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:50 pm

Other then a few episodes, the saga sucked. It was boring and the animation was meh to bad at best. The movie was very enjoyable while this was boring to watch.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Post by Wezenheim » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:56 pm

The worst arc in the "canon" material and it isn't even close. Would have been better than the movie if it wasn't for how uninspired it looked and felt. The story was marginally better, but the first half of the story, the part where everyone was fighting the soldiers, was much better than the second and it sucked in Super, especially compared to the movie. I wasn't able to catch the stream but I heard today's episode was a good one, so thats good. Thank God the movie retellings are over.
Last edited by Wezenheim on Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:57 pm

Better story than F, which really isn't much of a compliment, but still not a very good story anyways. Other than that, this arc was overall horrendous. Second worst arc in the entire franchise for me. It had a nice ending, but that doesn't make me forget the shit it had overall. Universe 6 is still the make or break arc for Super. If it sucks, then Super won't have a movie safety net to try and catch another botched attempt.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:49 am

U6 is also make or break for me. I can't believe they treated the most well known world wide anime franchise this way.

ShaneisMC
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ShaneisMC » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:36 am

Like Super as a whole thus far I would say mixed. There have been good moments, bad moments, good episodes, bad episodes, and some that were a bit of both simultaneously. It's upsetting to show up each week on almost the promise of a coin flip but as long as the new story delivers I think and hope that when all is said and done we can look back on Super as a bumpy but ultimately enjoyable and positive addition to the series.

Khin
I Live Here

Post by Khin » Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:07 am

First part of the Saga (Goku and Vegeta training with Whis,Ginyu's return etc..) was good but the main fight is garbage but the final episode for the arc is way better than the movie.Overall 6.8/10.

trick007z
Beyond Newbie

Post by trick007z » Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:34 am

This was an arc that was designed to be a movie and suffered from being in television form as it the decompression exposed the lack of depth in the plot.

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:06 am

Definitely the WORST and I mean THE WORST arc DB has ever had! Oolong arc was better than this shit.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:20 am

The story was a big improvement over what we got in the movie but the overall production quality wasn't that good and Goku's fight was kind of a mess so I was planning on giving this a 5/10 but thanks to today's epic climax it's easily a 7/10.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:21 am

Awful. An opportunity to expand things and they half assed it. Awful writing at times, terrible music, terrible sound effects, inconsistent art and animation. Yes the final episode was pretty good but it's a shame the rest of arc wasn't handled as well.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:46 am

When I though that with BOG arc, we hit the bottom of the barell and that maybe it was rushed for them to set up for something bigger,
ROF came and was even worse. Such boredom that ensued... I wonder how many fans actually watching it left during the show so far, as only people who are watching now are either fanatics,
or curious masochists (that's me). Still, I hate Beerus' generic atom CGI balls (Why he doesn't have cool attacks like in the movie or Xenoverse?). He sneezes them as well.
Goku has full sleeve of kamehamehas. Dunno what Vegeta has. Freeza has like nothing - just the needle finger penetrator. And they all trade punch machine guns and sky booms.

My rating of RoF arc is 3/10.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:53 am

Well, compared to the Battle of Gods arc I'd say this was an improvement. If only for the fact that the Battle of Gods arc seemed to go out of its way to make the writing worse ("LET'S INCLUDE PILAF BUT CUT OUT ALL THE FUN STUFF WE DID WITH HIM IN THE MOVIE AND NEVER EXPLAIN WHY HE'S A KID! LET'S FORESHADOW VEGETA'S DANCE SCENE AND THEN OMIT IT ENTIRELY! LET'S REMOVE THE LORE ABOUT THE SUPER SAIYAN GOD WHICH ALSO FORESHADOWS HOW THE POWER RUNS OUT LATER IN THE FIGHT! LET'S DRAG THE FIGHT OUT TO INFINITY AND BEYOND BUT REMOVE EVERY SINGLE BIT OF CHARACTER-DEVELOPMENT FOR GOKU IN IT PRIOR TO THE LAST EPISODE WHERE WE'LL JUST CASUALLY BRING IT UP IN PASSING!" ...And that's just the ones I can think of off the top of my head right now), the only story-changes here seemed to be for the sake of either fixing problems with the movie's script (Bulma claiming that she's gonna immediately restore the city with the Dragon Balls even though the Dragon Balls would be inert at that point? Let's just remove the destruction of the city alltogether. Boo's absence not being mentioned? Now it is... even if the explanation makes no sense. No tension? Freeza kills Piccolo. The infamous laser? Goku powers down before it hits. Foreshadowing for the ending being way too obvious? It's a lot subtler here) or just to add some cool new stuff (Tagoma and Ginyu). Now, animation-wise it's still a total letdown and the last two episodes were about the only ones that had any particularly impressive action-beats, but... at least the script didn't take a movie that had plenty of great character-moments and world-building and systematically remove almost every single one of them.

...Did I ever mention that I hated the Beerus-arc by the way? Because I did.