"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Khin
I Live Here

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by Khin » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:01 am

alakazam^ wrote:Are the names confirmed?
Yep.
http://www.toei-anim.co.jp/tv/dragon_s/campaign/

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:36 am

Hm, cautiously optimistic about this next story arc. Really liking the promotional art. Clearly, when it comes to Dragon Ball, I have the mindset of an 8 year old. :P Throw a bit of pretty marketing at me and all of the previous burns are forgiven. At least with new content, it's a little easier to enjoy the moment. You spend the first viewing just taking everything in and can leave the analysis for later. As opposed to the previous two arcs where you've seen most of the material before, and so every flaw is evident almost immediately. I know I shouldn't get too excited, because we have 27 episodes worth of warning, but it's just so relieving to finally reach a point where things are actually starting to feel like, well, Dragon Ball Super. I see this as the first opportunity for the series to kinda create an identity for itself.

Ah, what am I saying? :crazy:

EDIT: By the way, I saw this guy:
And immediately thought of this :P :
Last edited by DragonBoxZTheMovies on Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:40 am

Hit/Heat looks awesome. I still think that he'll be the main antagonist of this coming story arc judging by the promotions that Toei are making. I really hope he has an interesting story behind him.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:16 am

Does anyone else agree that the size of the pictures says how strong and important the characters will be to the tournament, so the 5 most important being goku, piccolo, vegeta, hit and magetta.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:42 am

namekiansaiyan wrote:Does anyone else agree that the size of the pictures says how strong and important the characters will be to the tournament, so the 5 most important being goku, piccolo, vegeta, hit and magetta.
If the size of the character's profile picture corresponds to importance it looks like Piccolo might be in the middle alongside Botamo. My initial assumption is that he'll get a victory, but then lose in the following battle. At the same time, I find it hard to believe that a newly introduced fighter in U7 with a lot of hype behind him like Monaka would get tossed aside in the early portion of the arc.

KaiserAcedia

Post by KaiserAcedia » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:56 am

I still think Monaka is the strongest but here are some points why he isn't.

- Beerus and Monaka fought a long time ago and back then Beerus was weaker.
- Monaka didn't aged well and isn't as strong as in its prime.
- (Maybe he is pretty weak against Androids.)

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:06 am

Kinda blown away at how badly drawn some of these are. Hit looks like wonky fanart.

Waiting for the manga is truly suffering.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:23 am

Noah wrote:So... I though Goku trip on New Namek to revive Piccolo would led us to see Kibitoshin wish to be defused, Is this still gonna happen?
We could just be following it from Goku & co's perspective and first get it revealed at the tournament, since that's when they find out.
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote: EDIT: By the way, I saw this guy:
Yes, this was also pointed out a few days ago, but I can't really recall if it was in any Super thread. Given Toriyama's stated dislike of the movie, perhaps this is a jab at it or maybe he actually liked Piccolo's design in Evolution and so made a tribute to it?

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:44 am

dbgtFO wrote:
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote: EDIT: By the way, I saw this guy:
Yes, this was also pointed out a few days ago, but I can't really recall if it was in any Super thread. Given Toriyama's stated dislike of the movie, perhaps this is a jab at it or maybe he actually liked Piccolo's design in Evolution and so made a tribute to it?
Well... James Marsters Piccolo was the only decent thing about that abomination.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:02 pm

I was hoping Piccolo would get a new suit. His regular appearance is classic and all but mixing it up after 20 something years would be nice.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:12 pm

Really liking Kyabe's armor:

Very Roman Empire style, definitely fitting for brutal Saiyan culture lol. Hair still sucks though, Toriyama reused this one in particular like 15 times already...

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:55 pm

Basaku wrote:Really liking Kyabe's armor:

Very Roman Empire style, definitely fitting for brutal Saiyan culture lol. Hair still sucks though, Toriyama reused this one in particular like 15 times already...
Toriyama has only used that hairstyle once, IIRC. And that was with Teen Gohan.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:56 pm

Also Tarble. Or did Toriyama not design him?

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:05 pm

Gotta say I never thought I'd see the day when a steampunk robot shows up Dragon Ball, let alone one that made reference to my two of my favorite giant robots, I am pleased I was wrong.

Even though there's a good chance gonna loose I'll be cheering for Team Champa/Universe 6 on this one. I just really like these guys.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:13 pm

Doctor. wrote:Also Tarble. Or did Toriyama not design him?
I'm not sure what the deal is with Tarble's design actually. I mean, Toriyama at least does know he exists as he was mentioned in Battle Of Gods, but I don't know whether Toriyama was responsible for his design. As far as I know, Tadayoshi Yamamuro was in charge of the character design in the 2008 OVA, so I don't whether Toriyama threw his own tidbits into the concept art for Tarble. And just to add to the confusion, in the manga version of the 2008 OVA, he doesn't have that hairstyle. His hairstyle is exactly like Vegeta's.

It's all very confusing. :crazy:

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:46 pm

To go along with the ch.8 notes, here's a full translation of the blurbs accompanying (what are apparently) Toriyama's character designs for the U6 fighters, which have also leaked (I guess they were in the same issue of V-Jump or something):
Hit: With his cool outfit that looks like he's wearing a long coat, no matter how you look at him there's no doubt this guy is a force to be reckoned with!! Even the name "Hit" smells of danger...

Cabba: Universe 6 has a Saiyan of its own!! That's Cabba!! His battle fatigues seem to have quite a different design than those worn by Vegeta and the other Saiyans of Universe 7, but just how powerful is he...!?

Frost: "...Huh!? This guy looks familar...!!" If that's what you were thinking, then you're right on the money!! This guy is the emperor of Universe 6, and has something to hide!! Meaning that this is his first form...!?

Botamo: With his ursine features, you can tell at a glance that Botama is confident in his strength!! All we know right now is that his entire body is smooth and hairless!!

Magetta: Something is burning inside his body, and smoke rises from his head!! Though he looks just like a robot, he's actually a species of alien known as a "Metal Man". What kind of moves will he unleash!?
And there's also this on Monaka, not really saying anything new:
By the way, Universe 7's strongest fighter is!?

Monaka: A hero whose name means "Grand Ponta (nipples)". He's said to be powerful enough to give even Beerus a hard time, but will we get to see what he's made of?!
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

voltlunok
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by voltlunok » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:56 pm

Lord Frieza wrote:Gotta say I never thought I'd see the day when a steampunk robot shows up Dragon Ball, let alone one that made reference to my two of my favorite giant robots, I am pleased I was wrong.

Even though there's a good chance gonna loose I'll be cheering for Team Champa/Universe 6 on this one. I just really like these guys.
Man, all the Iron Giant feels I get from Magetta really makes me happy. I hope this bot goes far and isn't just a one off for the tournament.
Going on hiatus. Too much stuff in RL to deal with for me to keep up with posts here for now. Was fun, hope you all have a nice day and future! Volt signing off.

With the many years on the net I've spent...I've learned being polite takes you much further then being a dick. So...lesson here is! Don't be a dick!

"Fill up your stomach and your happiness! " - Cure Honey

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:12 pm

Damn, Disney Pictures sues Dragon Ball for using Winnie the Pooh character. Botamo needs a transformation quickly. :shock:
http://www.tiinews.com/disney-pictures- ... acter.html
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Ssgvegito30
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssgvegito30 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:34 pm

Oh damn that's crazy lol :crazy:
"You may have invaded my mind and my body, but there's one thing a Saiyan always keeps! His pride!"

ChaosLordBrandon
Regular

Post by ChaosLordBrandon » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:35 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:Damn, Disney Pictures sues Dragon Ball for using Winnie the Pooh character. Botamo needs a transformation quickly. :shock:
http://www.tiinews.com/disney-pictures- ... acter.html
I actually thought you were serious. LMAO!