"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jaetinh
Regular

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by Jaetinh » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:29 pm

Akira Toriyama you fucking GOD. :clap: I thought he didn't care that much anymore, guess I was wrong. Damn the art quality of DBS is horrible, great to see he thinks so too.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:49 pm

27 episodes to retell two 90 minute movies with terrible animation. Yeah I'd see why Toriyama would be pissed.

Perhaps this why the Resurrection "F" arc had few major changes, aside from Z fighter and Tagoma, the arc was basically play by play from the movie.

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:14 pm

At this point I just wish Toriyama was still at his prime so that he can make the manga himself.... sad that he cant anymore.

Mnich
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mnich » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:14 pm

It's good to hear that he's upset, but do you really think it will change anything?

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:15 pm

These toriyama comments could mean we get a lot more epiodes of super and because of this it will make super have a better chance of been a lot more successful worldwide and consequently making anime more popular in general and put on tv. One piece might not be the most popular in japan anymore and this could be all be because of dragonball evolution

FutureGohanSSJ2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by FutureGohanSSJ2 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:17 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:27 episodes to retell two 90 minute movies with terrible animation. Yeah I'd see why Toriyama would be pissed.

Perhaps this why the Resurrection "F" arc had few major changes, aside from Z fighter and Tagoma, the arc was basically play by play from the movie.
Eh I disagree. Animation aside, I felt the pacing was far superior than the movies. After watching Super's BoG arc, I had rewatched the film, and everything felt like is going /way/ too fast. I think the pacing in Super, as well as all of the changes, are a very welcome addition to the story. Again though, that's just my opinion.

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:19 pm

I'm very interested in learning if there's any additional context for this elsewhere in that 30th anniversary book, and if Toriyama's words are really as harsh as what kei's translation implies.

But really, I think people might be jumping the gun. Even if Toriyama has problems with Super, we don't get any kind of idea what he's upset about. I see a lot of fans saying "Well obviously he's upset about the exact same things we're upset about!" But I dunno. You can never tell with him.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:20 pm

MagicBox wrote:I'm very interested in learning if there's any additional context for this elsewhere in that 30th anniversary book, and if Toriyama's words are really as harsh as what kei's translation implies.

But really, I think people might be jumping the gun. Even if Toriyama has problems with Super, we don't get any kind of idea what he's upset about. I see a lot of fans saying "Well obviously he's upset about the exact same things we're upset about!" But I dunno. You can never tell with him.
For all we know, he might be upset with the changes Toei made to HIS stories, not the animation. So you are right.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

FutureGohanSSJ2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by FutureGohanSSJ2 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:33 pm

Draconic wrote:
MagicBox wrote:I'm very interested in learning if there's any additional context for this elsewhere in that 30th anniversary book, and if Toriyama's words are really as harsh as what kei's translation implies.

For all we know, he might be upset with the changes Toei made to HIS stories, not the animation. So you are right.
Except that these changes were most likely of Toriyama's idea? And they weren't included in the film because, y'know, it's a movie and it can only be so long?

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:35 pm

Is this chart something that's already been talked about?
Source: http://mastiff.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/anime/1453121827/
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:37 pm

FutureGohanSSJ2 wrote:
Draconic wrote:

Except that these changes were most likely of Toriyama's idea? And they weren't included in the film because, y'know, it's a movie and it can only be so long?
Either one is possible - that's what MagicBox is trying to get at I believe. Anyone's guess is as good as anyone else's, and as of right now there's no real way to know for sure what he meant, so to automatically pin your hopes 100% on one thing or another as if it were fact, would be folly.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:49 pm

Chuquita wrote:Is this chart something that's already been talked about?
What's it for ?
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

UltimateSSJG

Post by UltimateSSJG » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:52 pm

Mnich wrote:It's good to hear that he's upset, but do you really think it will change anything?
All depends when the interview was done. If it was done last month then they have been no changes in the animation since the episode that come out 2 weeks ago had poor animation.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:57 pm

Mnich wrote:It's good to hear that he's upset, but do you really think it will change anything?
If the majority of the U6 arc is as good as ep27 then yes.

voltlunok
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by voltlunok » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:01 pm

sintzu wrote:
Chuquita wrote:Is this chart something that's already been talked about?
What's it for ?
It looks like a bandai quarterly sales chart with estimated sales for the future. Sadly I can't read anything but Power Rangers so...I don't know how we can talk about the chart.

Edit! Doing a little digging and such. The chart is a bandai quarterly sales chart. It shows that Dragon ball is currently their 3rd best selling thing with predications showing that sales are expected to jump in the future. From what I can tell, Yokai watch is 2nd best and Gundam still stands as Bandai's hottest commodity. All three are predicated to continue making greater sales. (I am only getting this by comparing the writing there to the katakana? that is on the wiki pages for the respective series. I believe there is an english version of this chart about somewhere way back in this thread.)
Going on hiatus. Too much stuff in RL to deal with for me to keep up with posts here for now. Was fun, hope you all have a nice day and future! Volt signing off.

With the many years on the net I've spent...I've learned being polite takes you much further then being a dick. So...lesson here is! Don't be a dick!

"Fill up your stomach and your happiness! " - Cure Honey

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:12 pm

It appears to be the same data from the merchandise sales thread:

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... 25&t=32665

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:21 pm

LuckyCat wrote:It appears to be the same data from the merchandise sales thread:

Thank you!
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

voltlunok
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by voltlunok » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:21 pm

LuckyCat wrote:It appears to be the same data from the merchandise sales thread:

Yeah looks like it. Basically all we can say is that the merch for DB is expected to sell even more.
Going on hiatus. Too much stuff in RL to deal with for me to keep up with posts here for now. Was fun, hope you all have a nice day and future! Volt signing off.

With the many years on the net I've spent...I've learned being polite takes you much further then being a dick. So...lesson here is! Don't be a dick!

"Fill up your stomach and your happiness! " - Cure Honey

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:24 pm

I think Toriyama is surely not impressed by the animation. If it's a pain in the eyes for us, it must be for him too.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:38 pm

I knew DB would be doing good but I never thought it would be outselling One Piece.