Is the snipers shooting the old couple in Kai?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Nex Carnifex
Banned

Is the snipers shooting the old couple in Kai?

Post by Nex Carnifex » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:50 pm

Watched Kai up until the end of cell but wondering if the Kai version of the Buu saga censors sons of the darker scenes of the original show like when smitty and van Zant kill old people with a sniper

mecha3000
Regular

Re: Is the snipers shooting the old couple in Kai?

Post by mecha3000 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:31 pm

I'm sure it was kept due to its importance to the story and how the whole stuff with Buu plays out. But I don't know if it's censored or not. Something to keep in mind is that there's two versions of Kai (Japanese version, The Final Chapters international version) so the scene may have been different in each version. If I'm able to, I'll come back and confirm whether or not it's censored or not. That is, unless someone else answers your question better.

Nex Carnifex
Banned

Post by Nex Carnifex » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:34 pm

mecha3000 wrote:I'm sure it was kept due to its importance to the story and how the whole stuff with Buu plays out. But I don't know if it's censored or not. Something to keep in mind is that there's two versions of Kai (Japanese version, The Final Chapters international version) so the scene may have been different in each version. If I'm able to, I'll come back and confirm whether or not it's censored or not. That is, unless someone else answers your question better.
Thanks I skipped through the episodes that it would be in and it seems they left it out and they instead make their firs appearance shooting the dog, but I'd appreciate confirmation maybe I just didn't see it.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:55 pm

mecha3000 wrote:I'm sure it was kept due to its importance to the story and how the whole stuff with Buu plays out. But I don't know if it's censored or not. Something to keep in mind is that there's two versions of Kai (Japanese version, The Final Chapters international version) so the scene may have been different in each version. If I'm able to, I'll come back and confirm whether or not it's censored or not. That is, unless someone else answers your question better.
I'm fairly sure the two versions had become identical at that point.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:48 pm

Actually I think they removed that scene. I remember when the episodes were first coming out, and I'm pretty sure it was removed. (Japanese version)
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Nex Carnifex
Banned

Post by Nex Carnifex » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:53 pm

MajinMan wrote:Actually I think they removed that scene. I remember when the episodes were first coming out, and I'm pretty sure it was removed. (Japanese version)
Figures, original version it is

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:42 am

Nex Carnifex wrote:
MajinMan wrote:Actually I think they removed that scene. I remember when the episodes were first coming out, and I'm pretty sure it was removed. (Japanese version)
It's the same thing with "final chapters", the only difference is seven episodes in the beginning and 1 filler episode towards the end, everything else is the same, that scene is removed from both versions.

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:13 am

Kuririn Fan wrote:
Nex Carnifex wrote:
It's the same thing with "final chapters", the only difference is seven episodes in the beginning and 1 filler episode towards the end, everything else is the same, that scene is removed from both versions.
Oh, my bad. I was dead wrong, but that scene seems so obvious to keep that I'm shocked it got removed. Oh well, still looking forward to seeing the Buu Saga of Kai.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:11 am

Them shooting the dog is obviously still there, as it's a major plot point. Shooting the old couple on the other hand was probably removed.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:17 am

Nex Carnifex wrote:Watched Kai up until the end of cell but wondering if the Kai version of the Buu saga censors sons of the darker scenes of the original show like when smitty and van Zant kill old people with a sniper
Damn, I misread your quote. I thought you meant the scene where they shoot Bee. My bad. Yeah, like everyone else had said, it's likely that scene was cut. The DBZ anime was notorious for its use of filler and it wouldn't surprise me if that scene was taken out for Kai.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:32 am

Thing is though, I don't think the old couple getting shot is filler. I'm fairly certain it was in the manga, wasn't it?
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:36 am

Gyt Kaliba wrote:Thing is though, I don't think the old couple getting shot is filler. I'm fairly certain it was in the manga, wasn't it?
Correct. It's in chapter 483.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Nex Carnifex
Banned

Post by Nex Carnifex » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:49 am

Gyt Kaliba wrote:Thing is though, I don't think the old couple getting shot is filler. I'm fairly certain it was in the manga, wasn't it?
So it was censorship, interesting. Guess it was too morbid for current Toei.

ToxicFlame707
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ToxicFlame707 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:15 pm

Is it filler? If so it's probably not in kai for that reason. If it's not filler then it's probably in the uncut dvd edition but not on TV since it's a Saturday morning kids show.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:32 pm

Wait, really? They actually cut this scene? What episode should this have been in so I can check the original threads?

That's pretty huge.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:35 pm

Cipher wrote:Wait, really? They actually cut this scene? What episode should this have been in so I can check the original threads?

That's pretty huge.
Looks like it would have been Episode 133.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:43 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
Cipher wrote:Wait, really? They actually cut this scene? What episode should this have been in so I can check the original threads?

That's pretty huge.
Thanks. Curious about the international version now, although it was already the version airing on Japanese TV at that point, right?

Wow wow wow. That's such a bummer. I get that it's a little intense for a 9 a.m. block, but it's a pretty big moment for the arc.

Nex Carnifex
Banned

Post by Nex Carnifex » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:27 pm

Cipher wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:

That's pretty huge.
Thanks. Curious about the international version now, although it was already the version airing on Japanese TV at that point, right?

Wow wow wow. That's such a bummer. I get that it's a little intense for a 9 a.m. block, but it's a pretty big moment for the arc.
Meh the score for Buu saga Kai is really really really bad especially in the face of the classic original soundtrack. Yamamoto's score on the other hand was a huge upgrade too bad it got canned. Tried watching the Majin Vegeta fight in Buu saga Kai and the score just made it unbearable to sit through completely killed the tension would have been better if it was just silent.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:52 pm

Nex Carnifex wrote:Yamamoto's score on the other hand was a huge upgrade too bad it got canned. Tried watching the Majin Vegeta fight in Buu saga Kai and the score just made it unbearable to sit through completely killed the tension would have been better if it was just silent.
I don't know why we're talking about this here, but I find Yamamoto's score unbearably generic and obvious, so, you know ... subjectivity and all that.

Nex Carnifex
Banned

Post by Nex Carnifex » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:03 pm

Cipher wrote:
Nex Carnifex wrote:Yamamoto's score on the other hand was a huge upgrade too bad it got canned. Tried watching the Majin Vegeta fight in Buu saga Kai and the score just made it unbearable to sit through completely killed the tension would have been better if it was just silent.
I don't know why we're talking about this here, but I find Yamamoto's score unbearably generic and obvious, so, you know ... subjectivity and all that.
Nah man nah, it was perfect