DBZ Kai with Nicktoons Edits

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

HourglassIndigo
Beyond Newbie

DBZ Kai with Nicktoons Edits

Post by HourglassIndigo » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:48 pm

Hey everyone. I grew up with the edited Kai dub on nicktoons and I would really like to watch it for old times sake. This will probably sound stupid because I could easily pick up Kai on Blu-ray, but I kind of want to watch it at least one more time for nostalgia reasons and also so I can compare it to the uncut dub. Is there anywhere on the internet where I can watch Kai with its nicktoons broadcast edits? I'm not asking for links, but it'd be nice if I could have confirmation that it's out there somewhere. Sorry for the odd request, I appreciate any help you can give!

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Re: DBZ Kai with Nicktoons Edits

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:50 pm

I don't think they exist anymore unless you dig deep on Google. Funimation didn't have a feature to watch Kai uncut or edited on DVD and Blu-Ray.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:54 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:I don't think they exist anymore unless you dig deep on Google. Funimation didn't have a feature to watch Kai uncut or edited on DVD and Blu-Ray.
Pretty much anything released on dvd and blu ray by them is uncut, correct.
PSN SonGoku325
DeviantArt http://narut6228.deviantart.com/

DB1984
Banned

Post by DB1984 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:56 pm

This edit had the Kenji Yamamoto BGM up to episode #063, during the original airings.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:59 pm

It used to exist on some torrent sites out there, which is what helped perpetuate the misconception that Kai was censored everywhere. Can't imagine it's well seeded anymore. Worth a look, I suppose.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

ShinGaijin
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShinGaijin » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:01 pm

Maybe this could be useful :thumbup: http://dbzkedits.3gkai.com/?page_id=241
So according to Ajay, we can't find this version anymore ? :(

Maybe you should check your PM box, I can help you I think^^

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:41 pm

We could get a Nick Toons Edition Box Set in a decade from now :lol: .
She/Her

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakacarrottop » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:52 pm

Last year someone on Youtube uploaded all the edited Kai episodes, although his account eventually got terminated by Toei.
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:51 am

For your information, there are multiple versions of the Nicktoons edit:

1) Early broadcasts on TV with the Yamamoto score from episode 1 to 63 (two specific cues replaced* in 59, 60, 61, and 63) and the rest with the Kikuchi score
2) Episode 55, 56 and 58 with the Yamamoto score partially replaced* in later broadcasts
3) Episode 59, 60, 61, and 63 with the complete Yamamoto score on Nicktoon's free online streaming
4) Rebroadcasts with Kikuchi score in episode 1 to 54

*Only A New Foe Rears His Head and The Ebb and the Flow got replaced with other tracks because these were the first ones found to be rip-offs.

DB1984
Banned

Post by DB1984 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:04 am

Edits aside, I thought the title cards looked much nicer than the ones on the DVD/Blu-Ray.

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:18 am

HourglassIndigo wrote:Hey everyone. I grew up with the edited Kai dub on nicktoons and I would really like to watch it for old times sake. This will probably sound stupid because I could easily pick up Kai on Blu-ray, but I kind of want to watch it at least one more time for nostalgia reasons and also so I can compare it to the uncut dub. Is there anywhere on the internet where I can watch Kai with its nicktoons broadcast edits? I'm not asking for links, but it'd be nice if I could have confirmation that it's out there somewhere. Sorry for the odd request, I appreciate any help you can give!
I'm sure if you look on YouTube or other video sides (maybe Vimeo, who knows?), you're sure to find several episodes that are from the Nicktoons broadcast. However, I'm not sure if you'll find ALL of the Nicktoons episodes. Nicktoons used to have episodes on their website, but since they no longer carry the license to the show, the episodes are no longer there.

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:23 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:We could get a Nick Toons Edition Box Set in a decade from now :lol: .
Honestly, I always thought it'd be nice if Funimation invested in edited versions of all of their Dragon Ball content for younger fans. PLEASE DON'T ATTACK ME!!! I'm just saying this because I've experienced what happens when you try to watch uncut Dragon Ball as a kid. Also, the video games always feature HERCULE instead of MR. SATAN and sometimes I find it unfortunate to think that some kid fans can't own Dragon Ball content for themselves if they want to.

I don't mean to go all LET'S PG DEADPOOL SO KIDS CAN SEE IT, but I feel ONLY investing in an edited dub of Dragon Ball material (AND NO OTHER FUNIMATION SHOW) might be a smart business move since DB is their most popular property. I can already see comments stating, "Dragon Ball was never meant to be a kids show" or "Different customs in Japan make certain scenes more appropriate than internationally so it's not meant to be appropriate." But still, they released edited DB and DBZ VHS's and DVD's back in the day so it proves they've done it before (But I understand they're different now and have more properties to support them financially so they don't need to appeal to younger fans and also don't want older fans to criticize any edited releases, despite still having uncut releases they can choose from).

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:28 am

I dunno, what happens when you show a young fan the uncut version of DB? Could you tell us? I'm curious. Also, kudos for putting paragraphs on your posts. Thanks for that man.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:32 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I dunno, what happens when you show a young fan the uncut version of DB? Could you tell us? I'm curious. Also, kudos for putting paragraphs on your posts. Thanks for that man.
You get banned from Dragon Ball/Dragon Ball Z for a good 2-3 years until you're 13 and old enough to watch whatever the hell you want. And no problem.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:00 am

I'm surprise Funimation didn't put the feature to watch Kai edited and uncut on DVD and Blu-Ray. I remember reading Amazon reviews from parents that bought Kai for their kids, was surprise by the swearing and blood.
She/Her

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:35 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:I'm surprise Funimation didn't put the feature to watch Kai edited and uncut on DVD and Blu-Ray. I remember reading Amazon reviews from parents that bought Kai for their kids, was surprise by the swearing and blood.
EXACTLY! If they wanted to, Funimation could make an effort to start releasing edited DB content OR adding a feature that lets you choose the edited version. The latter would make sense due to Funimation probably wanting to save money by not doing separate releases anyway. Besides the unnecessary budget it would require, all they would have to do is re-release their edited TV versions of Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, Dragon Ball GT, and Dragon Ball Z Kai. I can already hear people telling me I'm crazy (for thinking about mixing edited with uncut), but in a perfect world, I'd prefer separate releases for the edited and uncut versions. However, the edited content would confuse younger fans with dub mistakes so I can understand not releasing it. Still, Path to Power had two versions. http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Ball-Path- ... 169&sr=8-1 However, for the sake of not starting a war on here, I'm just going to say I hate the idea of it and it's completely stupid. Uncut FTW!!! No, but seriously if I had to choose, no edited release at all and just uncut.

Oh, and sorry for transforming this into a completely different topic. I'm done with that now.

jelleline89
Beyond Newbie

Post by jelleline89 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:38 am

Ajay wrote:It used to exist on some torrent sites out there, which is what helped perpetuate the misconception that Kai was censored everywhere. Can't imagine it's well seeded anymore. Worth a look, I suppose.
Will confirm, any torrent site that had the Nicktoons version is long dead. I do have all 98 episodes from the Nicktoons television broadcast.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:49 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:I'm surprise Funimation didn't put the feature to watch Kai edited and uncut on DVD and Blu-Ray. I remember reading Amazon reviews from parents that bought Kai for their kids, was surprise by the swearing and blood.
I think that would be too much work for FUNimation.

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:58 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
I think that would be too much work for FUNimation.
And that would also require using two separate sets of footage. The edited and the uncut version.
PSN SonGoku325
DeviantArt http://narut6228.deviantart.com/

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:17 pm

You could put a lot more on a blu-ray disc.
She/Her