"Dragon Ball Fusions" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

The Doc
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Project Fusion for Nintendo 3DS

Post by The Doc » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:42 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:I think this will probably our main game of 2016 since I don't see us getting Xenoverse 2 this year. At least it will hold us over for a while.
I'd argue that usually the main games are on home consoles, but usually by now we get some kind of teaser toward what the next big game is. I wouldn't mind it if they treated PF as such, though. Always been a fan of the Dragon Ball RPG's, and given what a wild concept "fusing any characters" is, this does sound like something that deserves a bit of extra special attention.

Also hope we see a translation of that text in the pop-up on the official site soon, looks like some good info there.

Rukura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Rukura » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:19 am

For some reason, all the games we've been getting really feel like a huge effort to not give us Heroes or Zenkai Battle.

"You like online multiplayer Dragon Ball games? Err...Take this team battle game."
"You like Dragon Ball Online?...Well...here's this kinda mmo fighting game."
"You like Heroes' what-if characters? Uhm...here, take this game with fusions and stuff."

I even feel like the IC trading card stuff they're doing might eventually reach the west as a response to people asking for Heroes so much.

All that said, this fusion thing could make for good humour in the game, like the what-ifs in Ultimate Butouden.
Full checklist of all Xenoverse clothing pieces, accessories and Z-Souls (Many thanks to jrdemr for the Z-Souls sheet): https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8vxc8m0fehev ... .xlsx?dl=0

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:24 am

Full scan of the announcement is up. It was SS4 Gogeta in the corner, so some confirmation that we'll see content outside of Z is nice.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Rukura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Rukura » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:47 am

"Infinite possibilities"? Somehow I kinda doubt that lol Excited about a new RPG, though.
Full checklist of all Xenoverse clothing pieces, accessories and Z-Souls (Many thanks to jrdemr for the Z-Souls sheet): https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8vxc8m0fehev ... .xlsx?dl=0

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:24 pm

This is being developed by Ganbarion, the studio most well-known for Jump Super Stars and the One Piece Unlimited games.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:49 pm

It obviously won't be 'infinite', that's just marketing at work, but I do hope there's a ton of crazy fusion options here. I mean, if that's going to be the driving concept of the game, by all means, go all out! :mrgreen:
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:This is being developed by Ganbarion, the studio most well-known for Jump Super Stars and the One Piece Unlimited games.
Really? Did they do Jump Ultimate Stars as well? I've played some of that (still need to get back to it eventually too), and despite having to rely heavily on a guide to tell me what to try to do to unlock stuff (even more so than usual since, I can't read a bit of it in-game), it was pretty fun.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Mnich
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mnich » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:51 pm

Rukura wrote:"Infinite possibilities"? Somehow I kinda doubt that lol Excited about a new RPG, though.
I wonder if we will have a chance to fuse a woman with a man, lol.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:55 pm

Mnich wrote:I wonder if we will have a chance to fuse a woman with a man, lol.
Yes, but it only happens when a timeskip is about to occur, and then the fusion appears in an everlasting form as a new character.

:P
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Mnich
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mnich » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:54 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:
Mnich wrote:I wonder if we will have a chance to fuse a woman with a man, lol.
Yes, but it only happens when a timeskip is about to occur, and then the fusion appears in an everlasting form as a new character.

:P
Well, procreation is very important. We need new blood since our heroes are getting old. :)

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:59 pm

Mnich wrote:
Rukura wrote:"Infinite possibilities"? Somehow I kinda doubt that lol Excited about a new RPG, though.
I wonder if we will have a chance to fuse a woman with a man, lol.
Heroes fused 17 and 18, so there's always a chance.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:09 pm

Actually, it would be nice if the game did go even above and beyond on the types of fusion done too. Like, not just fusion dance and potara, but include Cell and Boo absorbing different people, or even 13 and/or 17 merging with different androids to become different Super Android designs.
Twitter

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:36 pm

Anyone else think it'd be cool if we got a new fusion technique besides the ear rings and dance? Maybe one that can fuse more than 2 people?

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:26 pm

Mnich wrote:Another game which will increase a popularity of DB? Yes please!
It looks very interesting and quite original.
I agree, Dragon Ball is really making somewhat of a comeback in terms of a new manga/anime (DB Super, even though the manga is just used for promotion), recent movies, and video games (Xenoverse and now THIS). I love this so much that I hope outside of Japan, more is done to push DB's comeback more. This includes my hope that this game gets released outside of Japan, which is possible due to Extreme Butoden receiving a Western release. It just sucks that both DB Heroes 3DS games can't also be released in the West because there's just so much fanservice that Western fans would get hyped over and this would further add to DB's resurgence.

jollyroger

Post by jollyroger » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:20 pm

Dude I'm so excited! I'm not even really a fan of fusion but this looks like itll be fun and I'm very excited to see the tie in manga. Wonder if Toyoratos writing it

TheatreStyleKai
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheatreStyleKai » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:17 am

Is there any indication that this game is coming to the west? It seems like all the recent Dragon Ball DS games have been staying in Japan.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:29 am

We got Extreme Butoden in the US. The game has been trending on Facebook, so that's a sign that people know about the game and there is likely demand for it. I never see Heroes ever trend on Facebook.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:56 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:We got Extreme Butoden in the US. The game has been trending on Facebook, so that's a sign that people know about the game and there is likely demand for it. I never see Heroes ever trend on Facebook.
Because when Heroes started most of the world didn't even know it, yet alone care about it. It started with a simple Cell saga trailer after all and nothing super special that was worthy of a reaction. At most, people who knew of it thought it'd just be yet another DB Arcade game in Japan. And now years later, everyone became aware of DBH because of the full What-If turn it took and the word of mouth going around the Internet.

This game however, has been announced as a 3DS title right away, while showcasing a teaser of an as-official-as-it-can-get Broly and Goku fusion.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:49 pm

I'm sure we'll get this game in English, but I'm not 100% sure it'll be exclusive to 3DS in the west. Bandai Namco seems to be a little scared of localizing RPGs for handhelds, as things like Digimon, God Eater and Sword Art Online are getting extra builds for their western release. This trend actually started with Ganbarion's last large scale 3DS project, One Piece: Unlimited World Red. Though, I think timing is going to have to be key. If they wait too long it'll probably come too close to whatever the next Dragon Ball home console project is. There's also the issue of selling chibi characters to console players.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

TheatreStyleKai
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheatreStyleKai » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:51 am

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:I'm sure we'll get this game in English, but I'm not 100% sure it'll be exclusive to 3DS in the west. Bandai Namco seems to be a little scared of localizing RPGs for handhelds, as things like Digimon, God Eater and Sword Art Online are getting extra builds for their western release. This trend actually started with Ganbarion's last large scale 3DS project, One Piece: Unlimited World Red. Though, I think timing is going to have to be key. If they wait too long it'll probably come too close to whatever the next Dragon Ball home console project is. There's also the issue of selling chibi characters to console players.
Call my cynical, but I would guess the chances of this game being ported to console is slim to none, considering the whole game is built with chibi's and Dragon Ball in the west is plagued by X-TREME marketing.

Wilderness
Beyond Newbie

Post by Wilderness » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:36 am

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:Bandai Namco seems to be a little scared of localizing RPGs for handhelds, as things like Digimon, God Eater and Sword Art Online are getting extra builds for their western release. This trend actually started with Ganbarion's last large scale 3DS project, One Piece: Unlimited World Red. Though, I think timing is going to have to be key. If they wait too long it'll probably come too close to whatever the next Dragon Ball home console project is. There's also the issue of selling chibi characters to console players.
With Digimon, it's only been true as of late. After Digimon World Dusk&Dawn were localised on the DS, that was pretty much it until the announcement of Cyber Sleuth. But then, there really hasn't been many releases since those games as it is anyway. If I recall, maybe 3 games? Point certainly taken, however.
"I'm not a bad guy, I am a good guy, who just... hits women with his car."