Official On-Going DBZ 2015 Movie Thread: "Resurrection 'F'"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2015 Movie Thread: "Resurrection '

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:24 pm

Kakarotto92 wrote:Whatever happened to those plans of screening this movie in 74 different countries? Has this been cancelled? Because I'm pretty sure the movie would already been released in my country at this point if Toei had kept that promise.
I always told Portugal would be the 75º. Not surprised.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:40 pm

Noah wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:We got any confirmation on this award thingy? Wouldn't be surprised the film was amazing, surprised it didn't get an Oscar nom to be honest.
I'm gonna assume you're kidding but if you're not, the only film less deserving of anything resembling an Oscar than F is Force Awakens.
I think you're the one kidding here, this movie was nothing but just pure hype, even I after leaving the movie theather thought it was a masterpiece, but hell, no. Don't mind me I watched a more couple of times to reach this conclusion and I'm a SW fan.

Anyway It's nice to see that RoF won the best animation award, it had one of the best animation ever seen in the franchise.

TFA isn't even a quarter as good as 90% of Disney's other SW stuff that knows SW can do stories beyond copying everything from the originals with even shittier characters than before.
nickzambuto wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:We got any confirmation on this award thingy? Wouldn't be surprised the film was amazing, surprised it didn't get an Oscar nom to be honest.
I'm gonna assume you're kidding but if you're not, the only film less deserving of anything resembling an Oscar than F is Force Awakens.
Are you really saying that if F suddenly won best picture at the Oscars, you wouldn't be ecstatic?
Hell no, I wouldn't even be okay with BoG getting it and that's leaps and bounds better than F.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:59 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:TFA isn't even a quarter as good as 90% of Disney's other SW stuff that knows SW can do stories beyond copying everything from the originals with even shittier characters than before.
Oh, sorry! Guess I bad interpreted what you said, I thought you were saying' that TFA was worthy of receiving an Oscar lol

anyway I agree with you, but I think is too early to hate the new characters introduced in TFA, let's hope for a better and original movie in the next episode.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJmole » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:19 pm

I just saw Resurrection 'F as bluray was released. :D I loved this movie and do not see all the hate for it. My only issues were it's never restored people as they were when killed before and I hate Gohan not really been mystic. However still fun and a great movie :)

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:41 am

Just to let you all know, Resurrection 'F' didn't win the best animated film at the Japanese Film Awards thingy, it got nominated. The ceremony isn't until March so we don't know if it's won yet... Though I doubt it will since it's going against The Boy and the Beast and that looks fucking amazing.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:54 am

I haven't seen The Boy and the Beast yet, but I'd be surprised if anything beat it, being a Hosoda film. The only thing to likely even have much chance against it would be a Ghibli film, and even then I'd likely give Hosoda the nod.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:25 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:I haven't seen The Boy and the Beast yet, but I'd be surprised if anything beat it, being a Hosoda film. The only thing to likely even have much chance against it would be a Ghibli film, and even then I'd likely give Hosoda the nod.
While I doubt The Boy and The Beast will be as much a punch in the heart as Wolf Children was, I'm sure itll be great.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie

Post by LostTimeLord » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:47 pm

Can anyone tell me what the subtitles are like on the UK blu-ray? Manga UK have included the 5.1 tracks and extras this time, but have apparently authored the disc themselves. The only review I could find that talks about the subtitles says they "do not feel like the true translation of dialogue that’s being spoken" (https://animeblurayuk.wordpress.com/201 ... rection-f/). I'm trying to work out whether paying extra and having a region A locked disc is worth it for FUNimation's subtitles.

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:23 pm

LostTimeLord wrote:Can anyone tell me what the subtitles are like on the UK blu-ray? Manga UK have included the 5.1 tracks and extras this time, but have apparently authored the disc themselves. The only review I could find that talks about the subtitles says they "do not feel like the true translation of dialogue that’s being spoken" (https://animeblurayuk.wordpress.com/201 ... rection-f/). I'm trying to work out whether paying extra and having a region A locked disc is worth it for FUNimation's subtitles.
Was just going to inquire about this myself. Got the collector's edition Blu-ray in today, everything seems in order with the subs - Steve Simmons is still credited for the translation, it bears some of the hallmarks of his subbing parlance (italicised honourifics, etc.) but the names are all dubified - "Freieza", "Krillin" and so on.

He generally takes a quite literal approach to the translation and the way characters talk in Japanese (as opposed to the more Western-spun take of Viz where they get the basic meaning across but tend to jazz it up somewhat), which can sometimes make the wording look a little odd to viewers who are only familiar with English. I'm thinking that may be what the reviewer's referring to but I'm only partway through the movie right now so I'm yet to formulate a proper opinion on the quality of subbage. I'd love to know if it's definitely Daimao's work on the Manga release, and also if the US version's subs keep the usual "Freeza" and "Kuririn" and whatnot.
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:12 pm

FUNi's release keeps the usual Freeza and Kuririn, etc. in the subs and the overly literal style Simmons uses.

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:50 pm

SSJ4 Furanki wrote:FUNi's release keeps the usual Freeza and Kuririn, etc. in the subs and the overly literal style Simmons uses.
Hmm, interesting. Okay, I guess there's a pretty simple way to settle it. Anyone with the Region A release be willing to play spot-the-difference with me? Scene where Goku's explaining Blueper Saiyan, my subs say the following:

"It's a bit complicated and hard to explain, but this is a Super Saiyan level with the power of Super Saiyan God."

Bonus round, 'cuz the phrasing interests me with regards to the old debate of exactly how involved Beerus was with Freeza's decision to destroy Planet Vegeta. 1 hour 21 minutes in, courtesy of Whis:

"Oh, Beerus-sama, you approved of the destruction of Planet Vegeta, right?" [The dub uses "authorised", which implies a more direct hand in things.]
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:54 pm

I got my Manga UK DVD of this today and ahem… "obtained" a copy of the FUNimation subtitles, and compared them. They essentially just dubfied the names and changed word spellings to British ones, but otherwise it's the same translation.

Trivia: Though they changed the word spellings to British ones, they didn't bother to change the quotation style (commas are still inside quotation marks) and they didn't get rid of the word "gotten" either, which to my knowledge does not exist in British English.

And thankfully, the dubfication is only for character names—Kikoho did not get changed to Tri-Beam or anything like that.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:22 pm

:D Received my copy today. I decided to watch BoG and RoF back to back and to me the latter is the much better movie.

- Better animation (though they could have done without some of the CGI)

- Better music

- Much more action

- Less Pilaf and co

- Better villain

- More violent, dramatic and intense so more like how the series was

- It's the funnier movie

- The movie gave a decent lenght action scene to characters other than Goku for once.

- When comparing the theatrical versions only, it was also the longer movie.

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie

Post by LostTimeLord » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:34 am

Thanks, The Tori-bot, SSJ4 Furanki and Puto.
I'm surprised that that Manga went to the effort of changing it to British English given that most anime subtitles remain in US English. Looks like the UK release is the one to go for, and I'll just have to deal with the pet peeve of reading "Frieza" in the subtitles. (Why change the names though? It's extra effort just to be inconsistent with the previous DVDs and ever-so-slightly annoy a few of the people watching it in Japanese.)

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:38 pm

LostTimeLord wrote:Thanks, The Tori-bot, SSJ4 Furanki and Puto.
I'm surprised that that Manga went to the effort of changing it to British English given that most anime subtitles remain in US English. Looks like the UK release is the one to go for, and I'll just have to deal with the pet peeve of reading "Frieza" in the subtitles. (Why change the names though? It's extra effort just to be inconsistent with the previous DVDs and ever-so-slightly annoy a few of the people watching it in Japanese.)
You could always import the Australian release which I believe is a direct port of Funi's release and the best part it's same region coding as UK.

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:57 pm

LostTimeLord wrote:Thanks, The Tori-bot, SSJ4 Furanki and Puto.
It's Manga UK. They have a habit of just randomly making extra efforts to the benefit of absolutely nobody. At least the dub-names seems decidedly less offensive than the other anime releases I've got from them; For Attack on Titan they completely redid the entire subtitle-script from scratch. And managed to translate it so poorly that it made the Japanese version with subtitles unwatchable for me. (Like, I suppose the subtitles probably more-or-less make sense on their own if you don't know what they're saying... but I understand Japanese. I can tell that those subtitles are complete garbage.) They also apparently have a frequent issue of re-authoring TV-series releases and then getting rid of all the logically placed chapter-stops (opening, first half of the episode up to the eyecatch, second half from the eyecatch on, ending theme, preview) in favor of chapter-stops just randomly strewn in at roughly five-minute intervals, sometimes being placed right in the middle of a conversation... Again an issue with Attack on Titan but I understand it's far from the only one.

So really, if subtitles with dub-names are the only way Manga UK found to screw up this release... well by their standards that's admirable.
Why yes, I do have a rather strong Anti-Manga UK bias. Can you blame me though? I've got like five different anime published by them and, aside from the movie Summer Wars, they ALL have at least one glaring error that was not present in the US-version.

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie

Post by LostTimeLord » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:59 pm

Vegard Aune wrote: It's Manga UK. They have a habit of just randomly making extra efforts to the benefit of absolutely nobody. At least the dub-names seems decidedly less offensive than the other anime releases I've got from them
You know, I think we had this exact same conversation when the Battle Of Gods Blu-ray came out

That I went out of my way to find reviews that mentioned the subtitle and technical quality should go to show how highly I think of Manga Entertainment. I guess I'm just surprised because localizing the terms involves deliberately making the effort to edit Funimation's script, whereas with the others it seemed possible that Manga never got a translation from Funi for whatever reason. Still, for Ressurection F it's more a case of personal preference than an actual error.
On a more positive note for UK fans, Resurrection F is the first non-Ghibli anime DVD I've seen in Asda/Sainsburys. If only they stocked the blu-ray as well.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:49 pm

Goku vs Freeza clip.
PT-PT Dub + Kikuchi (fanmade) :)

http://sendvid.com/9ds5t4o5
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

danielsan_190196
Beyond Newbie

Post by danielsan_190196 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:19 pm

I don't know why I always have a hard time trying to understand European Portuguese. This is weird.

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:33 pm

danielsan_190196 wrote:I don't know why I always have a hard time trying to understand European Portuguese. This is weird.
Best dub (Movie 12 and 13 might the only things I legitimately prefer the dub in comparison to the Japanese version but I have huge nostalgia for these 2 movies)
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr