Kanzenshuu 2014 More Formal Donation Appeal

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Kanzenshuu 2014 More Formal Donation Appeal

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:06 am

Hi, all:

So for a little bit last year we used this thread to explain some of the things going on, a few of the costs associated with them, and somewhat informally remind folks that running the site -- every part of it from the main website to the podcast to the forum -- does cost us a pretty penny each month. We stand firm that we don't ever want to run ads on the website itself for a variety of reasons (all of which has been covered in some of the threads linked here in this post if you'd like to do some further reading), so we do rely on donations to help offset that cost to us a little bit.

It's the "value for value" model that, if you listen to some other podcasts, you probably hear about occasionally: if you find any value in what you get out of the site, tossing a little value back its way can be a pretty nice gesture! That can be donations, but it can also be spreading the good word. Whatever you can do, we appreciate.

A couple months back I asked everyone what they might think about ads popping up on the forum, but only for non-registered, non-logged-in members. Of course, as I noted, that's a pretty self-selective group to be asking, since you have to be a registered member and logged-in in the first place to even respond! But still, it was a pretty positive response, so we've been running a trial program on it for a little over a month now. So far it's working out pretty OK. It's hilariously inconsistent though, so at this point we can't say for sure that it in and of itself will be able to cover raw server costs (not right now, let alone once the wiki launches on top of everything). Furthermore, it won't even kick in with its payments for a while longer, so we're kind of in a dead zone at the moment.

So that's all to say: if you've ever considered donating to the site, now's a pretty gosh darn good time to reconsider it.

I've been on vacation so I need to catch up on the few donations that have come in and update the "Donate" page on the site (we name monthly hosting in your honor!), but rest assured it will all be listed soon enough. It's been a little slow, though, so we do need some help catching up on the months since then.

That's all! You know how hard we try not to ever talk about this, but there's a direct correlation between "reminding people" and "being able to afford the site" :).

→ Donate to help keep Kanzenshuu truckin' along online each month! ←
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Weejus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Kanzenshuu 2014 More Formal Donation Appeal

Post by Weejus » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:30 am

'in a dead zone at the moment'

I knew there'd be at least one Movie 1 reference here.

Tzigi
Regular

Post by Tzigi » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:51 pm

I donate whenever I can spare anything (sadly I'm a PhD student and my scholarship doesn't even cover my life expenses - so I rarely can contribute any money - and even then laughably little) but I have a question:
VegettoEX wrote: A couple months back I asked everyone what they might think about ads popping up on the forum, but only for non-registered, non-logged-in members. Of course, as I noted, that's a pretty self-selective group to be asking, since you have to be a registered member and logged-in in the first place to even respond! But still, it was a pretty positive response, so we've been running a trial program on it for a little over a month now. So far it's working out pretty OK. It's hilariously inconsistent though, so at this point we can't say for sure that it in and of itself will be able to cover raw server costs (not right now, let alone once the wiki launches on top of everything). Furthermore, it won't even kick in with its payments for a while longer, so we're kind of in a dead zone at the moment.
Does it work on a per-view or per-click basis? Because I don't mind accessing the site from a different browser and generating you some ad revenue and I'd like to know if I also need to click on those ads or is it simply enough to let them load.

Avenged
Advanced Regular

Post by Avenged » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:37 pm

Tzigi wrote:I donate whenever I can spare anything (sadly I'm a PhD student and my scholarship doesn't even cover my life expenses - so I rarely can contribute any money - and even then laughably little) but I have a question:
VegettoEX wrote: A couple months back I asked everyone what they might think about ads popping up on the forum, but only for non-registered, non-logged-in members. Of course, as I noted, that's a pretty self-selective group to be asking, since you have to be a registered member and logged-in in the first place to even respond! But still, it was a pretty positive response, so we've been running a trial program on it for a little over a month now. So far it's working out pretty OK. It's hilariously inconsistent though, so at this point we can't say for sure that it in and of itself will be able to cover raw server costs (not right now, let alone once the wiki launches on top of everything). Furthermore, it won't even kick in with its payments for a while longer, so we're kind of in a dead zone at the moment.
Does it work on a per-view or per-click basis? Because I don't mind accessing the site from a different browser and generating you some ad revenue and I'd like to know if I also need to click on those ads or is it simply enough to let them load.
Adsense ads are both CPM and CPC.
Dragon Blog Z - A Dragon Ball Z Community

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:59 pm

So how are we doing on bills? Have the ads been helping?

ThePrinceOfSaiyans
Beyond Newbie

Post by ThePrinceOfSaiyans » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:52 pm

:thumbup: :thumbup:

ChahikoDBZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ChahikoDBZ » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:06 pm

I didn't know where else to post this but I just donated $5 to the site. :)
(Fanfiction link coming soon.)

TheLegend23
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheLegend23 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:07 am

Is pay pal the only way to donate ?

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:27 pm

Just got some money for school, so after I do my taxes and all that jazz expect a donation from ol' Big Momma. :thumbup:
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:17 am

I feel kind of awkward asking about this, but I wanted to post this for staff to see and possibly respond to, or for other users to do the same to with thoughts.

I'm not exactly in a position where I'm "rich", but I am in a much more stable position money wise with my current job than I ever was with my new one. And while I wasn't on earlier for when the site apparently did go down briefly, I do imagine that the poor site's servers are only to get all the more slammed with Super on the way. New specials, games, and movies are one thing, but a new SERIES? Once even more people realize it's not another AF type prank this time...yeah. The traffic is probably going to be immeasurable.

So I bring this up to ask a question: I'd really like to make a donation this Friday when my new paycheck rolls around. I love this site. The forum has become the only one that I consistently check every day. I'd love to throw in some cash to help, but I've never made a donation for something like this before, so I'm wondering what an acceptable amount would be that wouldn't be considered either chump change or...well, "obscene", either. I don't want my donation to be meaningless, but I also don't want to insult anyone on the staff by donating something over-the-top for any one user to throw in.

So what would be a good middle ground there? I'm kind of thinking of a nice even $50 at the moment, but again - never having done something like this before I'm not sure what's considered appropriate, and I don't wanna step on any toes either way.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:00 am

Maybe I could change some Pesos for Dollars since in Argentina, the restrictions to buy dollars were eliminated in December of this year

Sun Wukong
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Sun Wukong » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:16 am

VegettoEX wrote:That's all! You know how hard we try not to ever talk about this, but there's a direct correlation between "reminding people" and "being able to afford the site" :).

→ Donate to help keep Kanzenshuu truckin' along online each month! ←
True. But as for the link. It doesn't seem to have been updated since May of 2014. Why not make an official thread for this kind of thing. Since you made one in 2013, 2014. This way you can remind people every first day of the month. You also wouldn't have to make a new thread for this every year. You could name it for example, "Kanzneshuu Official Finances Thread". It can cover donations on a monthly basis, links to the activities being performed like podcasts, blogs, reviews, guides, etc., any new things coming up (i.e. some new event in Japan concerning DB). Also have you guys tried seeing if you can make Kanzenshuu merchandise like shirts, mugs, posters, car ornaments, banners, etc.? Ofc. you will probably have to work out any possible copyright issues. But that might be the long term solution. I know it has worked for many individuals on youtube. Speaking of which you could probably open up a youtube channel to attract the right attention & use it as a platform to bring people to this site (forum, wiki, & podcasts), & direct them towards the merchandise for anyone interested.

If you guys have already thought of all these things & found them to be ineffectual; then I apologize for that tl;dr wall of text. Peace.
"I was born in a small village. I was still a child when we were raided by soldiers. Foreign soldiers. Torn from my elders, I was made to speak their language. With each new post my masters changed. Along with the words they made me speak. With each change, I changed too. My thoughts, personality, how I saw right and wrong. Words - can - kill."
—Skull Face