Hinorobu Kageyama: The Legend

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Hinorobu Kageyama: The Legend

Post by Vijay » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:59 am

An immensely talented singer, I rank his works for DBZ as some of the finest. Be it Cha La Head Cha La, We Gotta Power, Boku Tachi Wa, Hero Kimiga Hero, Aoi Kaze No Hope (personal fav of mine) the list goes as long as DragonBall's intended ending list :D

Google searched & found out this legend is about to celebrate his birthday coming 18th Feb. :thumbup:

In conjunction to his upcoming birthday, I hope worldwide DragonBall fans could show a small tribute to this man who has contributed to DBZ's magical songs that are still fresh till date

I'm not a computer-techie. I hate the fact I couldnt post his most iconic/memorable DBZ songs & live-shows all around the world. The least I could do is post a topic for fans to discuss.

The Iron Fjord
Beyond Newbie

Re: Hinorobu Kageyama: The Legend

Post by The Iron Fjord » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:36 am

My favorite non-Dragon Ball Kageyama song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjpM2fLZMbE
The Iron Fjord will kick you in the nuts!

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:17 am

Kageyama really is a legend, and in my head his songs just ARE Dragonball in my mind!

That being said, he's still awesome outside Dragonball too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QImBolnTVH8
"FUNi should take [DBZ] out behind the woodshed, give it one last treat, then blow its f%#@$ng brains out before it attacks the baby again." ~Rocketman

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:24 am

Tamashii tai Tamashii, Hikari no Will Power, just to name a few. That's excluding the more obvious ones.

Outside DB, Soldier Dream wins (even his English version is top notch).
Big Green: Do whateveryoulike, Ghos
Broly: haha He calls me a goohst, but IMMMD DA DEVVVVAAALLL! RAHAHAHAHA!
-----
Trunks: "Dhe computer selffishy intesnafiy dosuementos."
Android 13: Yum Boy
-----
Vegeta: The Legendary Warrior of SpaZe.

Jaetinh
Regular

Post by Jaetinh » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:25 pm

Absolute legend. Any chance of him singing an opening/ending for DBS in the future? That would be beautiful.

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:23 pm

He was one of the first artists that got me into Japanese music as a whole, so he'll always be memorable for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMy2mighNz4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-H2oA9YGAM
Trans rights, now!

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:13 pm

None of the singers that Toei's replaced him with can even hold a candle to him, especially the singer of Super's opening, who just sounds very tired and disinterested, which is the complete opposite of Kageyama's intense energy and passion.

It's ridiculous that they tried to tap into the nostalgia pool with an orchestral Cha La Head Cha La for the recaps, but didn't get Kagayama to do the opening for Super.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

DB1984
Banned

Post by DB1984 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:20 pm

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:25 pm

Hironobu Kageyama truly deserves the title of "Mr. DBZ". All of his musical contributions to Dragon Ball have magnificent and it's a damn shame he didn't come back for Kai or Super. His energy, passion and glorious lyrical style still remained unmatched with Dragon Ball.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:44 pm

Kageyama not came back to sing Super Opening was a letdown. And his band, Jam Project, end up singing OPM opening was a kick in the balls.
I had the chance to watch him live 2 years ago, and never a concert felt so short for me. He's indeed a Legend and still as awesome as ever.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

DragonDuck
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DragonDuck » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:39 am

When I think Dragon Ball music, the first thing I think about is Kageyama's performances. He fits Dragon Ball perfectly, and although the show has produced some good songs snice his departure from the franchise, they don't compare to the masterpieces that Hironobu Kageyama sung. Happy Birthday to this Legend of Japanese music!

As for Kageyama outside Dragon Ball, I am pretty fond of this theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukmm29sLH9A

Also ... Kageyama is awesome live. Allow me to demonstrate ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caqqCTSEBig
Last edited by DragonDuck on Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Champion of 2nd Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenka'ichi Budokai

There should be a witty quote or something down here. I'm just not imaginative enough to come up with anything.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:29 am

Its Hinorobu Kageyama's birthday!!!

The vocal range, voice pitch, energy & enthusiasm he puts into his works are pure magical!

My favourite piece of song is Aio Kaze No Hope & Boku Tachi Wa.

May God bless this legend & hopefully returns to DBZ franchise. Thank you for all your contributions Mr.DBZ

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:21 am

Kageyama left the company that Toei uses for their shows' music I believe, which is likely why we haven't heard him do anything new for Dragon Ball, Saint Seiya, or Super Sentai, despite being a major musical figure in all three franchises.

He still does a lot of music for Garo (which he's not only the sole musical act with JAM Project, but also voice acts a magic talking ring), Super Robot Wars, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bV_VVDBSEcA

Hell, Kageyama did an opening for an original Japanese animated series for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwqKg76GJCo

But yeah, he did a ton of fantastic songs for Dragon Ball (my favorite in terms of inserts has to be Unmei no Hi, it was just amazing). Damn shame he's not had the chance to do a new one in ages.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:25 am

Kageyama is now with Lantis while Toei Animation uses Columbia for their music. As a result, it would be difficult to get him to produce a new song.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Deathbringer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Deathbringer » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:56 pm

Is Kageyama the one doing the actual singing on the One Punch Man opening? It sure sounds like him but I can't find it on Wikipedia saying who does the vocals and the Jam Project page just lists him as a founding member.

It's a shame he couldn't come back for Kai or Super I can just imagine him singing Dragon Soul would make that song even better or if he sang Chozetsu Dynamic that would be amazing but I'm fine with those songs the way they are regardless. It's good to know he's still involved with amazing opening themes like the OPM opening.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:18 pm

The One Punch Man theme, The Hero, is performed by all of the active main members. You can view the music video synched with the CD song here and a live performance here.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Bulma

Post by Bulma » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:29 am

It's Hironobu, not Hinorobu.

I'm a big fan, I really like his voice and his performance on stage. I think the early 90's was his best time, all his contributions to Dragon Ball Z music is excellent.
I was lucky enough to see him twice live, one in a very intimate concert, I was so excited that I look like crazy in the photos with him, haha. I even have his autograph, how silly.
I am not an english speaker and I'm self-taught. Please excuse my awful grammar, I'm doing my best to improve.