How will FUNimation screw up "Frost"?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: How will FUNimation screw up "Frost"?

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:19 pm

I get what you're saying, and you have a legitimate point. I'm not planning to watch the dub, even if it was "perfect." However, it does still create an impediment for fans to connect. I mean, I recently appeared on a video on Geekdom101's channel about Bardock, and the number of comments that consisted of, "Why are they pronouncing Saiyan all wrong?" was just staggering. And those are the ones who were simply asking, not the ones who were flat out being rude about it. And it really took some restraint on my part not to go through all of them and respond, "Um... no... YOU'RE the one pronouncing it wrong."

But just in a general sense, it is kinda like you, where the correct forms are so ingrained in me that I cringe hearing the dubisms, if I don't flat out fail to recognize them. Every time I hear Korin, it throws me for a loop for a few seconds. I always have to go, "Wait, who are they talking about?" So while I'm not subjected to it when I actually watch or read the series (except for Vizisms, which is another can of worms), it does continue to divide the fandom.
Super Sonic wrote: And speaking of TF and perfect dubs, not sure if y'all cared about this, but no one wanted any of the TF animes to keep "Convoy" in the English versions.
Well, I couldn't care less about Transformers, but I was a fan in the past... well, I had the toys when I was a kid. And if I did care, I'd want it to be Convoy. :P
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:43 am

They will call him Froist, because Funimation. Not that i care, i'm never going back to that inferior version.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:12 am

Gaffer Tape wrote:I get what you're saying, and you have a legitimate point...However, it does still create an impediment for fans to connect. I mean, I recently appeared on a video on Geekdom101's channel about Bardock, and the number of comments that consisted of, "Why are they pronouncing Saiyan all wrong?" was just staggering. And those are the ones who were simply asking, not the ones who were flat out being rude about it. And it really took some restraint on my part not to go through all of them and respond, "Um... no... YOU'RE the one pronouncing it wrong."

But just in a general sense, it is kinda like you, where the correct forms are so ingrained in me that I cringe hearing the dubisms, if I don't flat out fail to recognize them. Every time I hear Korin, it throws me for a loop for a few seconds. I always have to go, "Wait, who are they talking about?" So while I'm not subjected to it when I actually watch or read the series (except for Vizisms, which is another can of worms), it does continue to divide the fandom.
Huh. You know what? That's actually a pretty good point. I never thought about it that way before...hmm. You know what though, I'm not sure that would really change even if FUNi went ahead with pronouncing everything correctly (which I personally like. "Kienzan" sounds much cooler to me than "Destructo Disc"). It seems like the only thing that would change would be that they would lose short-term sales from people who would think "man, that DBZ Kai. They're ruining everything!".

I guess maybe it would all equal out if they kept on with the new and improved names for a long enough time? That's kind of a gamble though, isn't it?
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:16 am

Kuririn Fan wrote:They will call him Froist, because Funimation. Not that i care, i'm never going back to that inferior version.
Why would you have anyways? Wouldn't you have watched more in Serbian or Montenegran? (Excuse my not knowing what languages are spoken in your homeland).

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:44 am

Super Sonic wrote:
Kuririn Fan wrote:They will call him Froist, because Funimation. Not that i care, i'm never going back to that inferior version.
Why would you have anyways? Wouldn't you have watched more in Serbian or Montenegran? (Excuse my not knowing what languages are spoken in your homeland).
Well I can only speak for myself, but back in the days when I first tried to watch the anime, the only source I actually knew how to use was YouTube. Where the FUNi dub was about the only thing I could find. Which is like, I still always tried to go for the Japanese version whenever I could, and that was what eventually made me start getting whatever DVDs I could get my hands on, but I know several other people who just got so used to the English dub that it's still their preferred version of the show to this day. Which bothers me a lot less these days now that most of the major problems I have with FUNi's dub (that is, everything but a few unfitting voices and weird name-spellings that I don't expect them to ever fix at this point) are a thing of the past. I mean, I liked the English dubs for Battle of Gods and Resurrection F. I even invited said friends who prefer the dub over to my place to watch F in English, and I had basically no problems watching it that way.

...But yeah, Frost will remain Frost. I would be very surprised if he didn't. FUNi might be unwilling to go back on the weird name-changes they did before, but for the actual new characters they've been good with actually naming them properly. I mean heck, they went out of their way to use Beerus in Battle of Gods when literally every other official translation was stuck with the absolutely idiotic "Bills"-spelling.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:32 am

Super Sonic wrote:
I mean i grew up with the Serbian dub, it's nostalgic and all, and i'm grateful that it introduced me to this series, but it's pretty much shit. And they never went past Z 52 (they aired all of DB) . Then i watched it all in english and i was happy with that, thinking that's the real show and i've seen it all. Then i found out this yt series and this guy MistareFusion was talking about the original version and all the changes and all the bullshit. Long story short: he "converted" me to the original, i instantly fell in love with it and realised how much the dub sucks. And Mistare became my senpai <3

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:10 am

Which is all fine and dandy but you don't have to go around parading in every single comment I've seen you post thus far. You bash me for liking 'garbage' but I've yet to see partake in any type of discussion with someone that doesn't involve shitting on the dub for 501st time

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:12 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:Which is all fine and dandy but you don't have to go around parading in every single comment I've seen you post thus far. You bash me for liking 'garbage' but I've yet to see partake in any type of discussion with someone that doesn't involve shitting on the dub for 501st time
I'm sorry, i'm just happy that i experienced the real show, that's all.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:16 am

Kuririn Fan wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:Which is all fine and dandy but you don't have to go around parading in every single comment I've seen you post thus far. You bash me for liking 'garbage' but I've yet to see partake in any type of discussion with someone that doesn't involve shitting on the dub for 501st time
I'm sorry, i'm just happy that i experienced the real show, that's all.
So have I and so have everyone else on this site

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:23 pm

Kuririn Fan wrote:I'm sorry, i'm just happy that i experienced the real show, that's all.
I consider FUNimation's dub (well, the Kai Dub and BoG/Resurrection 'F' Dubs to be specific) equally as real as the Japanese releases of Z and the movies. They've come a long way and I feel they've earned that. My love for both is pretty close these days (Kai's dub was well timed, as I was tired of all of the failings of the Z Dub by that point and gaining love for the original release through my viewings of it).

I honestly doubt they'll mess up anything new in the dub to any great extreme because of how far they've come (Unless Barry Watson somehow returns and takes over FUNimation). We're long past the days of odd romanizations, made up scripts, and acting found right off the street with replacement music thrown in.

Now, if only 4K Media and Saban could get the memo so I could get uncut, accurate dubs of Yu-Gi-Oh! and Digimon...
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:33 pm

Mewzard wrote:Now, if only 4K Media and Saban could get the memo so I could get uncut, accurate dubs of Yu-Gi-Oh! and Digimon...
Huh...so 4Kids actually lived on in some way or another, huh? That...makes me glad actually. Whatever their mistakes were, they were still a pretty fairly significant part of my past. Imagine how great their dubs will be when their actors actually have well written scripts to work with :D ...

(Also, let's not forget to have those "Uncut dub" scripts localized in a way that sounds natural in English. The Uncut dub that 4Kids released for the very first episodes of Yu-Gi-Oh were "accurate", but unbelievably stilted. And as hilarious as it was listening to Eric Stuart try to use his hammy, over-the-top Kaiba voice on a script that was as dry and lifeless as that was...I think we should try to avoid THAT particular extreme too).
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:05 pm

Dude, you're being as bad as Russian World of Tanks players. Just stop. I know this is a pro-original Japanese version forum, but no one likes an elitist douche.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:55 pm

ShadowBardock89 wrote:
Dude, you're being as bad as Russian World of Tanks players. Just stop. I know this is a pro-original Japanese version forum, but no one likes an elitist douche.
I think everyone goes through the elitist phase at one point or another. I know I did. But yeah, I feel like that attitude is so unnecessary on a forum like this. Everyone's aware of the issues. There's no real benefit to pointing it out unprovoked. Save that shit for when it counts or people will just stop listening to what you have to say.

And as for this thread, FUNi won't change a thing. Even Beerus the Destroyer, as strange as it is, is at least a perfectly valid way of translating Hakaishin Beerus. I doubt they'll even consider changing anything about Frost.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:33 pm

Fionordequester wrote:
Mewzard wrote:Now, if only 4K Media and Saban could get the memo so I could get uncut, accurate dubs of Yu-Gi-Oh! and Digimon...
Huh...so 4Kids actually lived on in some way or another, huh? That...makes me glad actually. Whatever their mistakes were, they were still a pretty fairly significant part of my past. Imagine how great their dubs will be when their actors actually have well written scripts to work with :D ...

(Also, let's not forget to have those "Uncut dub" scripts localized in a way that sounds natural in English. The Uncut dub that 4Kids released for the very first episodes of Yu-Gi-Oh were "accurate", but unbelievably stilted. And as hilarious as it was listening to Eric Stuart try to use his hammy, over-the-top Kaiba voice on a script that was as dry and lifeless as that was...I think we should try to avoid THAT particular extreme too).
4K Media is technically a subsidiary of Konami, but yeah, the A/V production arm of 4Kids has lived on post-bankruptcy. I haven't watched any dubbed Yu-Gi-Oh! stuff in ages, though, so I can't say whether technically being under new management has actually effected anything on the production side or not. What few comments I've read about the latter episodes of Zexal and Arc-V suggest that not much has changed.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:40 pm

Funimation to me has been gotten a lot better in over 10 years. In mid 2000's, they started to do good dubs for anime like FMA and Trinity Blood. Even their dub for YYH and Blue Gender was pretty good too in my opinion.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:07 am

Ironically it was Japan who screwed up Frost! Ha!

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:56 am

I know some people touched on this in previous replies but, the fact that you wrote "how will" instead of "do you think" in the subject makes me think you're under the assumption that everyone here thinks FUNimation is treating Dragon Ball poorly. What I'm saying is, I don't think it's fair to bash FUNimation when they've been treating the show really well in recent years. Ever since the DBZK dub, they've been pretty on the ball. Sure, you don't have to agree with everything they do. More specifically to what you're talking about, the spelling of Freeza. They were a totally different company back then, no one really knows why they changed it but, they can't just change a characters name 20 years later when that name is pretty much established as the spelling here.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:31 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Ironically it was Japan who screwed up Frost! Ha!
No, no they did not.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:02 am

I definitely wouldn't say 'screwed up', but even without having heard it yet, it is fairly disappointing they went with the easy choice of re-using Nakao yet again. I'm sure he'll do fine - I mean, it is Nakao after all - but it just seems like a missed opportunity.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Vice
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Vice » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:47 am

Kuririn Fan wrote: I'm sorry, i'm just happy that i experienced the real show, that's all.
Cool. Where would you like your trophy sent to?