Shouldn't Bulma's father pass away at some point?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

Shouldn't Bulma's father pass away at some point?

Post by precita » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:33 am

The guy was old with gray hair back in Dragonball when Goku met him as a kid for the first time. We're now in Super and he's still alive.

I know he wasn't shown in GT at all (I assume they finally passed away), but how much longer is he going to be kicking? I mean I like the guy well enough, but I think if they go past EOZ with Uuub we should see Bulma attend her father's funeral.

sintzu
Banned

Re: Shouldn't Bulma's father pass away at some point?

Post by sintzu » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:20 am

Maybe he turned himself into an android like Gero.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:23 am

I'd love to see someone die of natural causes in DBZ for once. No villain killing anyone, just her father dying of old age. If I recall correctly the dragon won't bring someone back to life who died of natural causes, right? So it would be interesting to see Bulma faced with that realization.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:03 am

I feel like it would almost be something too somber for Dragon Ball to touch, but it would definitely be something interesting to see how it would tackle eventually, be it with Bulma's dad or otherwise.

I've actually halfway assumed both her parents are dead by the time of GT, since I don't think we ever see them, even in the big crowd scenes like in the last episode of the Baby arc.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:18 pm

I think Bulma's father is like Master Roshi and Baba and that he'll live for hundreds of years. He seriously hasn't aged a day since his first appearance, along with Bulma's mom.

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:39 pm

I'm starting to think he was born with white/gray hair and its just his natural color.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:42 pm

For all we know Brief is only twelve years older than Blooma. Dragon Ball doesn't follow our logic all the time.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:27 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:I think Bulma's father is like Master Roshi and Baba and that he'll live for hundreds of years. He seriously hasn't aged a day since his first appearance, along with Bulma's mom.
One reason I always liked Mr. Brief's is he just seems like a normal guy. He's a father and grandfather, who is also very intelligent in that he can build spaceships and work on androids...but still just a grandfather.

If not you think his smoking would kill him with lung cancer. :lol:

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:28 pm

precita wrote:I'd love to see someone die of natural causes in DBZ for once. No villain killing anyone, just her father dying of old age. If I recall correctly the dragon won't bring someone back to life who died of natural causes, right? So it would be interesting to see Bulma faced with that realization.
Grand Elder Guru is looking at you :P He died twice of Natural causes, the first time around was accelerated due to "stress."
Also, I don't think Bulma's Dad is that old to begin with. I know it's a reality but seeing people dying of natural causes in the DB universe, seems a little odd. I mean, at the end of GT you kinda get your wish since almost everyone except for Pan, just died over a 100 years later and we even see a cemetery.

Unrelated but, what's with you making death-related posts?
Big Green: Do whateveryoulike, Ghos
Broly: haha He calls me a goohst, but IMMMD DA DEVVVVAAALLL! RAHAHAHAHA!
-----
Trunks: "Dhe computer selffishy intesnafiy dosuementos."
Android 13: Yum Boy
-----
Vegeta: The Legendary Warrior of SpaZe.

Gorou
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gorou » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:35 pm

It is very rich and is part of a world where people easily exceeds the century of life

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:52 pm

successoroffate wrote: Grand Elder Guru is looking at you :P He died twice of Natural causes, the first time around was accelerated due to "stress."
Also, I don't think Bulma's Dad is that old to begin with.
He definitely has to be up in there in the years during the Buu saga and Super. Bulma is in her 40's by then, and he was already older when Bulma was a teenager when we see him for the first time in Dragonball.

Even if you say he was only 30 something in Dragonball, that would make him in his late 70's or early 80's by Super's time.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:41 pm

Yes, he shall die already. Or maybe, in some gruesome and horrible way, to get that Dragon Ball spirit back into the show.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:59 am

He's the richest and smartest guy in the world. I'm sure he has some tricks to prolong his life. Perhaps the cat on his shoulders has something to do with it? :lol:

Korppi

Post by Korppi » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:39 pm

In the Future Trunks timeline, it is revealed by Future Bulma that Dr. Brief had passed away sometime before Age 780. In Dragon Ball GT, Trunks is seen as the president of Capsule Corporation, stating that his grandfather has died. Even though Dr. Brief is almost always seen smoking a cigarette, it doesn't seem like he's going to die in Dragon Ball Super. He's even with the entire gang enjoying Champa tournament, so it would be a bit uncomfortable if he dies now, since he's a funny character too. The same about his wife, although she does not seem to look older since her first appearance in Dragon Ball.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:33 am

Korppi wrote:In the Future Trunks timeline, it is 1 revealed by Future Bulma that Dr. Brief had passed away sometime before Age 780. In Dragon Ball GT, Trunks is seen as the president of Capsule Corporation,2 stating that his grandfather has died. Even though Dr. Brief is almost always seen smoking a cigarette, it doesn't seem like he's going to die in Dragon Ball Super. He's even with the entire gang enjoying Champa tournament, so it would be a bit uncomfortable if he dies now, since he's a funny character too. The same about his wife, although she does not seem to look older since her first appearance in Dragon Ball.
1 Its not "revealed", hes just not there.
2 He didnt state that...
Last edited by Kuririn Fan on Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:46 am, edited 3 times in total.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:38 am

Wow, I think you're really overestimating Bulma's age. By the end of GT, which takes place way after Super, Bulma is apparently 57 years old. Even on the off-chance that Dr. Brief was 30 when Bulma was born, that would make him 87, which is still a reasonable age to be alive until. During the 28th Tenkaichi Budokai, also taking place after Super, Bulma is apparently 51 years old. Even if Dr. Brief was 40 when Bulma was born, he'd be 91, which is still a reasonable age to be alive until... though not fully mobile. If Dr. Brief was 20 when Bulma was born, he'd only be 71. My grandfather is 80 and he's in great shape and running around doing house repairs, so I don't see why Dr. Brief would be dying of old age.

If you think that he was 60 when Bulma was a teenager because he had grey hair, well... I don't think that's the case. I think he's just an old-looking guy. Or Toriyama gave him a "fatherly" look by making him look old. I don't know. But the math makes sense. And hey, I know a guy who is 35 with a full head of white hair.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:53 am

DB is also in a universe with far more advanced technology than we have so there's little reason to think that people wouldn't be living well into old age and have a great quality of life
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Korppi

Post by Korppi » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:26 pm

Kuririn Fan wrote:
Korppi wrote:In the Future Trunks timeline, it is 1 revealed by Future Bulma that Dr. Brief had passed away sometime before Age 780. In Dragon Ball GT, Trunks is seen as the president of Capsule Corporation,2 stating that his grandfather has died. Even though Dr. Brief is almost always seen smoking a cigarette, it doesn't seem like he's going to die in Dragon Ball Super. He's even with the entire gang enjoying Champa tournament, so it would be a bit uncomfortable if he dies now, since he's a funny character too. The same about his wife, although she does not seem to look older since her first appearance in Dragon Ball.
1 Its not "revealed", hes just not there.
2 He didnt state that...
Indeed. I should avoid Dragon Ball Wikia sometimes.

ParkerAL
Regular

Post by ParkerAL » Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:32 pm

Toriyama isn't going to write a death scene for such an unimportant character.
Favorite Movies: Alien, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, The Thing, Evil Dead, The Land Before Time
Favorite Shows: Cardcaptor Sakura, Doctor Who, Wallace and Gromit, Wakfu, Yu Yu Hakusho
Favorite Manga: Fullmetal Alchemist, Hunter x Hunter, Dragon Ball
Augenis wrote:The power level view into the series has trained a significant portion of the fan base into real life stereotypical members of the Freeza empire, where each and every individual is reduced to a floating number above their heads and any sudden changes to said number are met with shock and confusion.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:15 pm

Indeed. I should avoid Dragon Ball Wikia all the time.
Fixed that for you.