Was English Kai Trunks too raspy?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bansho64
I Live Here

Was English Kai Trunks too raspy?

Post by Bansho64 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:01 pm

I've heard a lot of people say their opinions on the voice and how it sounds a little raspy. I can see where they're coming from if you compare it to the old dub but I'd like to hear you guys on Kanzenshuu talk about it and share your opinions. :D

Ajay

Re: Was English Kai Trunks too raspy?

Post by Ajay » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:06 pm

Eric Vale was fine in Kai, I felt. It's his utterly dreadful work in Xenoverse that totally turned me off him. The guy sounded like he was trying to be Old Snake from MGS4.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

KaiserNeko
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by KaiserNeko » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:18 pm

Far too raspy in Kai. Love Vale, love his performance, but waaay too raspy.
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:28 pm

Sadly, yes, whose idea was to make Vase sound like that? He was great in DBZ, now he sound like Kyle Reese wannabe :(
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:32 pm

I think it is but it's probably the fault of his direction in Kai, he's likely being made to sound more consistent with Laura Bailey's kid Trunks and Sabat's Vegeta (both which sound like they have a frog in their throat). My guess is they thought it'd be more fitting for everyone in the family to sound like that.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:38 pm

KaiserNeko wrote:Far too raspy in Kai. Love Vale, love his performance, but waaay too raspy.
Would you say his old voice from the Funi dub was better? It sounded a lot less raspy to me.

dario03
Advanced Regular

Post by dario03 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:42 pm

KaiserNeko wrote:Far too raspy in Kai. Love Vale, love his performance, but waaay too raspy.
Oh Yeah. Well, well.... Your voice for him isn't raspy enough! hmmmphf

:wink:

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:57 pm

Bansho64 wrote:
Would you say his old voice from the Funi dub was better? It sounded a lot less raspy to me.
You do realize the Cell saga dub was from 2000, right? The man aged a decade in real life.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:01 pm

coola wrote:Sadly, yes, whose idea was to make Vase sound like that? He was great in DBZ, now he sound like Kyle Reese wannabe :(
When did Reese have rasp?
NitroEX wrote:I think it is but it's probably the fault of his direction in Kai, he's likely being made to sound more consistent with Laura Bailey's kid Trunks and Sabat's Vegeta (both which sound like they have a frog in their throat). My guess is they thought it'd be more fitting for everyone in the family to sound like that.
Ironically, both Bailey and Sabat have dropped a lot of the rasp and even at Sabat's worst, I've never had a problem with his rasp. It worked for Vegeta.

The odd thing about Vale's performance is that in Z, his rasp wasn't as prominent, but his performance wasn't all that good early on. He got better as time went on, but his rasp became more pronounced which kind of cancels out his improved performance.
You do realize the Cell saga dub was from 2000, right? The man aged a decade in real life.
Wait, I don't understand what point you're trying to make.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:03 pm

Wait, I don't understand what point you're trying to make.
They're saying Trunks voice is now too raspy compared to what he originally sounded like in the Cell saga dub. That dub aired in 2000, and the man aged a decade in real life when they brought him back for Kai/Xenoverse. His voice changed because the real life actor aged, it happens with a lot of voice actors who do characters over the course of decades.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:06 pm

Sure he's changed a little, but his voice isn't raspy in real life, so I don't see what his age has to do with anything. This is more the result of a deliberate choice either on his part of the director(s).
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:08 pm

ABED wrote:Sure he's changed a little, but his voice isn't raspy in real life, so I don't see what his age has to do with anything. This is more the result of a deliberate choice either on his part of the director(s).
Its probably similar to what Chris Sabat said about his Vegeta and Piccolo. Part of the reason they sound so different in Kai isn't just that he improved his performance, its that he literally aged in real life. He said this on his twitter that, "Vegeta's voice has matured....literally," implying he aged in real life which is why Vegeta sounds different.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:13 pm

He may have said that, but Sabat's performance is not the result of him aging. It's the result of experience and improvement as an actor. He's always had a very deep voice and his performance change was mostly a result of dropping the Drummond impression and making his Vegeta voice more natural (e.g. closer to his natural voice). I don't see how his Vegeta voice changing over time has much to do with his age. I'd have to see or hear the quote in context. The only way I can see Vale's age being a factor is because maybe he felt the only way to make himself sound younger is to give his Trunks voice more rasp.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:42 pm

Perhaps they should've had him do more like his Sanji or Loke voices.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:57 pm

Yeah, I felt Eric Vale was a bit too raspy sounding for my liking in Kai.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:52 pm

ABED wrote:He may have said that, but Sabat's performance is not the result of him aging. It's the result of experience and improvement as an actor. He's always had a very deep voice and his performance change was mostly a result of dropping the Drummond impression and making his Vegeta voice more natural (e.g. closer to his natural voice). I don't see how his Vegeta voice changing over time has much to do with his age. I'd have to see or hear the quote in context. The only way I can see Vale's age being a factor is because maybe he felt the only way to make himself sound younger is to give his Trunks voice more rasp.
Yeah I think it's becoming apparant that the actors can change their voice drastically and sometimes that can give off the impression of aging but it isn't. I mean just compare the 2007 redub Vegeta voice that Mr. Sabat used compared to the one he used for Kai in 2010. It was only a three year difference yet the voice had changed so much. Then again it may been different for Eric Vale considering that he was a little more than a young adult when he first starting recording for the show.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:37 am

No. I think Tom Waits did a great job with the role.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:10 am

Super Sonic wrote:Perhaps they should've had him do more like his Sanji or Loke voices.
He's a great Sanji but I wouldn't want his Trunks' Kai voice to be a carbon copy of his Sanji's.
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:59 pm

I disliked his portrayal of Trunks in Kai and then detested it in Xenoverse. Especially when his voice would come from my controller. Agh!

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:02 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:I disliked his portrayal of Trunks in Kai and then detested it in Xenoverse. Especially when his voice would come from my controller. Agh!
Xenoverse Trunks was really bad.