Like That the Tournaments Finished?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Like That the Tournaments Finished?

Post by Super Sonic » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:59 pm

Don't know how it is for others, but does anyone else like that at least in DB, the tournaments actually finished without outside things going on? Often you see nowadays tournaments, or tests that are going on being interrupted by bad guys making a muck of things, so you don't get to see how it would've been had things gone smoothly. It happened with the 24th Budokai, and in the Chunin Exams of Naruto. Currently I'm watching Fairy Tail vol 9 and bad guys have just shown up interrupting the S-Class exam. Know these have good stories that happen usually, (on the last episode of dvd disc 1 on FT, so don't know what will happen) but I would've liked to see how things would've been had these villains not shown up and who would've won or what not. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

sayian_nation_
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Like That the Tournaments Finished?

Post by sayian_nation_ » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:23 pm

Nothing pissed me off more than Yu Yu Hakusho Demon World tournament/ending, felt way to rushed.

MozillaVulpix
Regular

Post by MozillaVulpix » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:39 pm

It made sense, because the story of those arcs were focused around the final tournament matches: Goku vs Jackie Chun, Tenshinan, and Piccolo. Just like how the Freeza Arc was all building up to Goku vs Freeza. Something like the Chunin Exams, while building up Gaara, seemed to be more interested in showcasing the abilities of all of Konoha's ninjas and Orochimaru. The sand ninjas seemed to have a plan from the very beginning. Whereas it feels like the 24th Budokai was mostly an excuse to bring the main cast back together (including Goku) for when the new threat appeared.
I could have gotten into anything...and yet I chose the story aimed at young Japanese boys about martial arts, and later about super-powerful aliens punching each other really hard.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MozillaVulpix

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:42 pm

Saiyan_nation_ wrote:Nothing pissed me off more than Yu Yu Hakusho Demon World tournament/ending, felt way to rushed.
I actually liked it. What about it do you feel was rushed?

I agree with Mozilla. The 24th Budokai mostly gave a reason for the team to gather. It's just a shame the tournament fell as far as it did. Before it felt like a tournament where the best would fight. After the 23rd, it felt like a place where fighters would go to be celebrities.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:56 pm

Not to sound like a know-it-all, but the budokai you guys are referring to is actually the 25th, not 24th. But back to the topic, yes, I love the tournament arcs in Dragon Ball. The fact that they actually go all he way makes them even better. I hope Super's tournament also finishes instead of pulling a Buu arc repeat near the end.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Post by Footlong Shoe » Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:01 pm

I never got more pissed off watching this series than during the 25th Tenkaichi Budokai. I was so excited to finally see another tournament after all this time, but just like that everyone leaves? I'm not saying the characters made the wrong choice, but I think Toriyama could've handled that better.
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1327

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:51 pm

Footlong Shoe wrote:I never got more pissed off watching this series than during the 25th Tenkaichi Budokai. I was so excited to finally see another tournament after all this time, but just like that everyone leaves? I'm not saying the characters made the wrong choice, but I think Toriyama could've handled that better.
I don't think he could've handled the tournament better, by that time, our heroes had so outgrown the tournament that it had no real value for them anymore. My big issue is that the importance of the tournament is severely undercut by not only it being about the celebrity of it all, the winner is Mr. Satan who wins via fraud.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Post by Footlong Shoe » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:58 am

ABED wrote:I don't think he could've handled the tournament better, by that time, our heroes had so outgrown the tournament that it had no real value for them anymore.
That's a fair point. It just seemed like such a waste. At least the most anticipated fight still happened, just not as expected.
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1327

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:48 am

Saiyan_nation_ wrote:Nothing pissed me off more than Yu Yu Hakusho Demon World tournament/ending, felt way to rushed.
Togashi could literally receive Nobel for "Most Uninterested Mangaka" lookin at the way he handled the 3 Demon Kings Tournament Arc/YYH's ending

I know Toriyama receives some heat for his rushed Z ending/28th TB, but trust me. Z's ending is God-like when compared to YYH's utter disregard for even giving an "excuse" for its Tournament to be interupted.

On topic, I did originally hated how Goku vs Veggie was teased at 25th TB, only to be interupted by some random Madoshi, Kaioshin, Boo & stuff

But once Majin Veggie surfaced, I'm sold!

Though I do wish their fight took placr in a proper setting as TB. Hell, even EoZ somewhat implied Goku & Veggie might lock horns again (with Goku in Anime going as far as apologizing to Veggie for leaving with Oob instead of fighting Veggie)

Toriyama can be such a tease!

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:34 am

I have a feeling the current DBS tournament will be interrupted before it ends...
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:12 pm

Togashi could literally receive Nobel for "Most Uninterested Mangaka" lookin at the way he handled the 3 Demon Kings Tournament Arc/YYH's ending
I don't know how the manga ended it, but I felt the series was wrapped up well. Each of the main characters were given a proper send off. Hell, even Yomi and Mukuro had arcs.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:32 pm

ABED wrote:
I don't know how the manga ended it, but I felt the series was wrapped up well. Each of the main characters were given a proper send off. Hell, even Yomi and Mukuro had arcs.
Its a thoroughly underwhelming experience. Anime in particular built the 3 Kings Arc super efficiently, coming off just after Sensui Arc (arguably, peak of YYH in terms of storytelling + balanced fighting). Dark, deep character-driven Arc which promises a ton of potential.

Instead of Arcs revolving Yomi & such, I referred to actual "interuption/ending" of Demon World Tournament of Yusuke vs Yomi which was half-assed beyond words.

Sure, the send off with some monologues were touching. But the bad taste the ending of Demon World Tournament gave really wipes away every positivity YYH had.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:50 pm

I like the fact that 3 Budokais and Baba's tournament ended, i hope this one will too. Even Anoyoichi Budokai finished, even if it was a bullshit excuse for dq.