What terms are used in the Funimation subs

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

What terms are used in the Funimation subs

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:59 pm

I never noticed that Steven Simmons more faithful translations would mean there are no dub names in his subs. I know about Kuririn, but what terms are there that you wont see in the Funimation dub and viceversa.

For the sake of ease, lets just mention Simmons subs but you are free to tell me about Clyde Mandelin's subs too. (I know he calls God by name though)
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: What terms are used in the Funimation subs

Post by Gaffer Tape » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:09 pm

I admit I'm surprised it never occurred to you that a faithful subtitled version would not include made-up dub elements. But here's a completely off the cuff, incomplete list of Simmons's choices.

Grand Elder for Guru
Artificial Human for Android
Freeza for Frieza
Karin for Korin
Turtle Hermit and Muten Roshi for Master Roshi
Tenshinhan for Tien
Yamucha for Yamcha
Chaozu for Chiaotzu
Ginyu Special Corps for Ginyu Force
Jheese for Jeice
Butta for Burter
Tenkaichi Tournament for World Martial Arts Tournament
Kikoho (Simmons) and Kikouhou (Mandelin) for Tri-Beam
Son Goku, Son, and Son-kun (where applicable) for Goku
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:12 pm

Eek, that's a big question. There are so many. For one, a large majority of the attack names are left alone: you've got Kienzan over Destructo Disk, Genki Dama over Spirit Bomb, Makankosappo over Special Beam Cannon. There's a whole wealth of differences there.

Name-wise, here's a few off the top of my head:

King Kai - Kaio-sama
Supreme Kai - Kaioshin
Kibito Kai - Kibitoshin
Korin - Karin
Ox King - Gyumao
Frieza - Freeza

There's manyyyyyyy.
Yamucha for Yamcha
Chaozu for Chiaotzu
These ones have started bothering me since I learned the dub spellings were technically better adaptations.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:14 pm

Ajay wrote:
Yamucha for Yamcha
Chaozu for Chiaotzu
These ones have started bothering me since I learned the dub spellings were technically better adaptations.
Yeah, I admit I've been waffling back on those, especially the latter, for a while now. I've even recently considered whether or not Yumcha would actually be a better representation of his name pun.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:15 pm

Shenlong for Shenron is the only one that I could think of besides the ones already mention
Also @Ajay what's wrong with Yamucha ?
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:16 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:Yeah, I admit I've been waffling back on those, especially the latter, for a while now. I've even recently considered whether or not Yumcha would actually be a better representation of his name pun.
Yeah, thanks to some Dragon Ball Super fansubs teaching me a thing or two, Yumcha and Jiaozi have definitely piqued my interest considering their pun origins. Though I do think the latter causes a lot of pronunciation confusion for the uninitiated.
From what I understand, it's just a very direct romanisation of ヤムチャ that doesn't really convey the pun meaning particularly well. It's like a less offensive "Tolanksu" for "Trunks", for example.

From Herms' Name Pun Round-up:
Yamcha
Comes from Yum Cha, a form of Chinese dining consisting of drinking tea while eating dim sum.
Toriyama Explanation: “This was also taken from a form of Chinese cuisine. Originally the name was just ‘Yum Cha’ itself, but that didn’t go over too well [here Toriyama spells ‘Yamcha’ in kanji with a katakana reading, like the Japanese word for Yum Cha, instead of just in katakana like it’s written in the series]. ” [DBF]
Source Spelling:: 飲茶/yamucha
Name Spelling: ヤムチャ/Yamucha
It's from Yum Cha, but it's not spelt directly like the dish would be spelt, so to adapt the difference while retaining the general word form, you'd use "Yamcha".
Last edited by Ajay on Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:20 pm

soppa saia people wrote:Shenlong for Shenron is the only one that I could think of besides the ones already mention
I know you didn't ask me, but since I'm here. I would say there's technically nothing wrong with Yamucha, just like there's nothing wrong with any straight romanization. It's there. It's a direct adaptation of the kana that makes up the name, like Buruma and Torankusu and Seru. But the "u" is really unnecessary for pronunciation, so it can be reasonably argued that it might as well be left out when adapted to English.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:42 pm

I'm kinda of slow of mind, LOL. Sorry to bother you people and THANK YOU FOR THE INFO, Especially you Gaffer Tape.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:02 pm

No problem! And, hey, nothing to worry about. If it's not something you ever think about, you're not likely to focus on the particulars. I guess I was more curious if maybe there was a precedent you knew of that caused you to assume the opposite.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:12 pm

Yeah, I admit I've been waffling back on those, especially the latter, for a while now. I've even recently considered whether or not Yumcha would actually be a better representation of his name pun.
I prefer spellings that aren't wrong, but are a step removed from flat out using the pun. For instance, I much prefer Bulma to Blooma.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:25 pm

I'd argue that Blooma IS a step away from the pun (Bloomers to Blooma), at least as much of a step from Freezer to Freeza is. But what about the names where they ARE exactly the word? Like Oolong? Or Trunks?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:31 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:I'd argue that Blooma IS a step away from the pun (Bloomers to Blooma), at least as much of a step from Freezer to Freeza is. But what about the names where they ARE exactly the word? Like Oolong? Or Trunks?
Fair point, though Bulma is further away while still retaining the pun. Ultimately I feel it's an arbitrary preference. Trunks I've never had an issue with, Oolong is a comedic character and while Freeza is on the nose, it still doesn't sound bad as a villain's name. It's like Mr. Freeze. Piccolo, maybe I'm just so used to it, but I think I'd have a much harder time finding Bassoon Daimao or Trumpet Daimao as intimidating.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:43 pm

Ajay wrote:
Gaffer Tape wrote:Yeah, I admit I've been waffling back on those, especially the latter, for a while now. I've even recently considered whether or not Yumcha would actually be a better representation of his name pun.
Yeah, thanks to some Dragon Ball Super fansubs teaching me a thing or two, Yumcha and Jiaozi have definitely piqued my interest considering their pun origins. Though I do think the latter causes a lot of pronunciation confusion for the uninitiated.
From what I understand, it's just a very direct romanisation of ヤムチャ that doesn't really convey the pun meaning particularly well. It's like a less offensive "Tolanksu" for "Trunks", for example.

From Herms' Name Pun Round-up:
Yamcha
Comes from Yum Cha, a form of Chinese dining consisting of drinking tea while eating dim sum.
Toriyama Explanation: “This was also taken from a form of Chinese cuisine. Originally the name was just ‘Yum Cha’ itself, but that didn’t go over too well [here Toriyama spells ‘Yamcha’ in kanji with a katakana reading, like the Japanese word for Yum Cha, instead of just in katakana like it’s written in the series]. ” [DBF]
Source Spelling:: 飲茶/yamucha
Name Spelling: ヤムチャ/Yamucha
It's from Yum Cha, but it's not spelt directly like the dish would be spelt, so to adapt the difference while retaining the general word form, you'd use "Yamcha".
It's not really "respelled" in the same way that Freeza got respelled from Freezer, it's just written in katakana instead of kanji. It's still read exactly the same. I'd argue that just not having the space (Yumcha vs Yum Cha) would be enough to convey that difference.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:46 pm

As I wrote in my Funi name review thread:
This one though comes from the Cantonese term Yum cha, a style of Chinese cuisine involving drinking tea while eating snacks. 飲/Yum=”drink”, 茶/Cha=”tea”. In fact, I’m a bit puzzled by that “Yum”. The Wikipedia page uses the spelling “Yum cha”, but according to that same page, this term should be spelled “Jam caa” in English under the Jyutping system of romanisation, and “Yam cha” under the Yale system. So after 30 seconds of research I still don’t really know where “Yum” comes from, but as you’ve probably noticed by now, there’s no shortage of different systems for spelling Chinese names in English (over in Mandarin Chinese these same characters would be read as “Yin cha”). At the end of the day, “Yam cha” is a valid spelling according to the Yale system of writing Cantonese names in English, meaning there shouldn’t be anything wrong with calling the DB character “Yamcha”. The Japanese kana spelling for both the name of the Chinese cuisine and the DB character is ヤムチャ/Yamucha, but there’s no reason to keep the “u” in there.
Since all my Chinese knowledge is in Mandarin rather than Cantonese, I'm still not entirely sure what the deal is with "Yum" vs "Yam" (much obliged if anyone can shed more light on which romanization system "Yum" comes from), but "Yam Cha" is a standard romanization for the pun source, so again there shouldn't be anything wrong with good ol' "Yamcha".
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:26 am

Steve Simmons is our Lord and Saviour.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:58 am

Herms wrote:As I wrote in my Funi name review thread:
This one though comes from the Cantonese term Yum cha, a style of Chinese cuisine involving drinking tea while eating snacks. 飲/Yum=”drink”, 茶/Cha=”tea”. In fact, I’m a bit puzzled by that “Yum”. The Wikipedia page uses the spelling “Yum cha”, but according to that same page, this term should be spelled “Jam caa” in English under the Jyutping system of romanisation, and “Yam cha” under the Yale system. So after 30 seconds of research I still don’t really know where “Yum” comes from, but as you’ve probably noticed by now, there’s no shortage of different systems for spelling Chinese names in English (over in Mandarin Chinese these same characters would be read as “Yin cha”). At the end of the day, “Yam cha” is a valid spelling according to the Yale system of writing Cantonese names in English, meaning there shouldn’t be anything wrong with calling the DB character “Yamcha”. The Japanese kana spelling for both the name of the Chinese cuisine and the DB character is ヤムチャ/Yamucha, but there’s no reason to keep the “u” in there.
Since all my Chinese knowledge is in Mandarin rather than Cantonese, I'm still not entirely sure what the deal is with "Yum" vs "Yam" (much obliged if anyone can shed more light on which romanization system "Yum" comes from), but "Yam Cha" is a standard romanization for the pun source, so again there shouldn't be anything wrong with good ol' "Yamcha".
I suspect "Yum Cha" is just how it became known in the west before any romanisation system was set in place, similar to "Oolong" (vs the "correct" romanisation Wulong or Wulung). (note: This just from looking up information online, I don't actually know almost anything about Chinese).
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:26 pm

Kuririn Fan wrote:Steve Simmons is our Lord and Saviour.
No love (tom)Mato ? :(
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:43 pm

Hey, because of him I've been playing Mother 3 for nearly 8 years now. And I follow two of his websites: Earthbound Central and Legends of Localization. I love me some Clyde Mandelin (Mato).

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:01 pm

Minor ones not brought up yet: Sno (subs) VS Suno (dub), and Ha-chan (subs) VS Eighter (dub).
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Post by Footlong Shoe » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:24 pm

B wrote: Sno (subs) VS Suno (dub)
I think you mixed something up there...

It was Suno in the subtitles, and Sno (Snow?) in the dub.
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1327