Super vs GT - so far

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

coola
I Live Here

Super vs GT - so far

Post by coola » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:59 am

Sorry if it look like another Super bash topic, but, we are getting to episode 37 of Super, over half of GT, and, as much as GT was average series, it had really cool, and emotional moments, like Goku vs Ledgic, Baby and his motivations, SSJ4 Goku transformation, while in Super..i can't find any emotional moment, everything is just there, it happens, but i don't feel anything (And it's not like I'm too old/burnout, to this day i feel chills while rewatch ome DBZ moments)
Last edited by coola on Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

saiyanvegetable
Temporarily Banned

Re: Super vs GT - so far

Post by saiyanvegetable » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:01 am

"dude you;re just nostalgic." :wink:

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:06 am

When i watch Sailor Moon Crystal, i got really emotional during some scenes, and really like them, so i don't think it's nostalgia :wink:
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Khin
I Live Here

Post by Khin » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:15 am

It is really fair at this point ? More than half of Super so far have been retellings.I think it should be decided ones the Champa Arc will be finished at least.But as someone who can't remember that much about the GT and have no intention and time to watch it again.The only clear thing for me is GT's animation is better than Super.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:44 am

Yes it's been done before but I can see plenty more of these topics popping up till and if Super gets to 64 episodes, and even after that. That said if you were to ask me it would go like this:

Animation - GT wins hands down

Story - Super is superior (both series have been mixed bags, and even though most of Super has been retellings I found the Battle of Gods arc at least to be better than the Black Star Dragon Ball arc)
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:49 am

Its an insult to compare GT to the likes of Super

GT had good ideas. Only executed poorly. Still, the Baby, parts of Super 17 & Shadow Dragons Arc were solid entertainments

Super however is parody of Z. It has tacky ideas, executed worst with the series gladly embracing its stupidity at every turn. Not even gonna touch its piss poor animation, music, plot, character-degradations & horrible action choreography.

Super may even cross 640 episodes, but it still doesnt hold a candle to one of the most hated series in the history of DB franchise, GT.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:10 am

I'm enjoying Gokû and Vegeta's rivalry in Super a lot more than in GT. (Partly because Vegeta was absent for most of GT. I still can't believe they thought leaving him behind on Earth was a good idea when he'd have been a great navigator during the outer space db hunt).

What I do wish Super had though was an adventure arc. I'm hoping we get to travel somewhere after the tournament's over.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Khin
I Live Here

Post by Khin » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:18 am

Chuquita wrote:What I do wish Super had though was an adventure arc. I'm hoping we get to travel somewhere after the tournament's over.
Toryiama said that Goku and the gang will go to Universe 6.There's also Kyabe taking Vegeta and possibly along with Goku as well to Planet Sadla. :)

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:23 am

SSJ3 Vegeta wrote:
Chuquita wrote:What I do wish Super had though was an adventure arc. I'm hoping we get to travel somewhere after the tournament's over.
Toryiama said that Goku and the gang will go to Universe 6.There's also Kyabe taking Vegeta and possibly along with Goku as well to Planet Sadla. :)
I really hope all that happens. I'm anxious for them to explore universe 6.

I'm also curious about how Sadla differs from Planet Vegeta. Is the gravity not as high? Are there towns or cities (or both)?
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:27 am

SSJ3 Vegeta wrote:It is really fair at this point ? More than half of Super so far have been retellings.I think it should be decided ones the Champa Arc will be finished at least.But as someone who can't remember that much about the GT and have no intention and time to watch it again.The only clear thing for me is GT's animation is better than Super.

Honestly I don't think that the fact that it has been "retellings" is really a good defense. If anything, it's just one more reason as to why it's not a good show. They had the movies, the rehashing was unnecessary and detrimental to the series. They should have started off with new content from the beginning. There was a lot of potential for Super, but so far I think it has been misused and remains untapped. Rehashes and yet another tournament arc does not a good series make. Why should we have to wait until after 30-40 something episodes to be able to decide if a show is good? If it takes that long, I think you've already got your answer.
Trans rights, now!

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:29 am

I'd say they're on the same level of quality. They both have really great ideas with extremley poor execution. GT had WAY better animation and choreography than Super though. Super is just a half baked, poorly put together heap of disappointment that refuses to switch things up from the status quo.
Last edited by VejituhTheWarriorGuy on Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:55 am

I think Super's 36 episodes so far completely blow GT's out of the water. The Bebi arc is really the only decent part about it and even it is underwhelming. Sure, Super has been underwhelming so far too, but I can safely say it had a lot more memorable moments and much better writing than the godawful Black Star DB arc.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:19 pm

Art:

Both GT and Super have their great art as well as very inconsistent art but I think overall GT's is just better and also reflects the "aged" characters better. Also it does not have this clear look but old and classic and I like that more.

"Story" & Characters:

GT tells a story of the future, after vol. 42. It greatly focusses on the "let's not make it that much action" part of Dragon Ball (at first) and yet brings in enough action, while Super only tries to be funny but still is very much about action. Not to say action is bad. I love it. But as a Role-Playing Gamer I never thought Z had really a plot and Super also has not really a plot. The plot is just "what happens" and nothing more. Comparable with a Pokémon Game. Oh, wow. Journey from Gym to Gym. Oh yeah, you win "because you become so great friends with your Pokémon". And yes, for at least a bit of plot a bit more fleshed out Rival or Villain thing is added. Wow. Not to say GT was a master of plot but it feels just like more. I think the dynamic of Goku and Pan as well as Trunks is good and the entire Baby thing as well as the Xing Long thing was good. Yes, much was rushed. But seriously. Wow. Their is a cat god. And new universes. Oh yeah, and a different coloured Super Saiyajin. And a fatter Cat God. And the twin sister of the trainer of the Cat God. And a Freeza character. And a Saiyajin. And a pseudo-cool character as well as an "unimpressive" and googy looking character that is supposed to show how surprising Dragon Ball is. Guess what? That is said about every author. And it is nonsense. Especially when it becomes normal that "not everything is at is seems" it is no longer something special. Maybe a bit, but no epic twist normally. And I could go on.

Music:

GT has probably the best Score - together with the original score. But I really like Chouzetsu Dynamic. Still, Dan Dan Kokoro (the Zard version though) is in my opinion the best song that ever appeared in Dragon Ball. I am not completely sure if it at least appeared in a special but it is the song nonetheless.

So, yeah. GT all the way.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

shinmaru
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shinmaru » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:53 pm

I think we need to give Super and the animators some time to get better with DB art after 18 years of nothing. Anyway, I think DB will never be like the 80s, 90s with the good old colors, even my kid of 5 sees the difference in quality.
Last edited by shinmaru on Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:02 pm

Super for me is better. GT had some story moments that made my head hurt and everything in GT was poorly done. Super has more interesting characters and more fresh story ideas in my opinion. GT just poorly rehash ideas and none of the characters expect for a few are interesting. At least the characters in DBZ had something interesting to offer and are memorable. GT had the Super 17 saga and Black Star Dragon Ball arc which I consider to be the worst in the DB series ever. ROF saga was close, but at least it didn't treat Freeza as a joke like GT did. GT made the two biggest iconic villains in the series as child play and didn't give them a proper return. It would be no different if they had both Lex Luthor and Joker being treat as a kids joke against Batman in a future DC movie.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:03 pm

Super definitely wins for me with character interactions. All these Gokû and Vegeta interactions are a thrill imo; even if Gokû occasionally gets a little intense about it.
Testament to Vegeta's increased patience that he didn't flip out at Gokû on that green couch leaning in close enough to breathe into his ear when he spoke.

Re: color palettes

I am grateful we don't have that gritty late 90's style color palette in Super like GT had, but I do miss Z's early 90's color schemes. Compare the outfits in crowd scenes in episode 15 to the bright colors in Z's crowds.
Last edited by Chuquita on Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:05 pm

The fandom / world have had almost 20 years to digest and reflect on GT. I've just started watching it through in Japanese for the first time, and I'm seeing a surprising amount of positive qualities in these early episodes.

That said, comparing it to Super (while not a bad idea for a discussion) should be taken lightly because Super is a midquel rather than a sequel, so the stakes are prematurely gutted, and almost it has some level of source material (at least for the first two arcs) to compare it against. The situations are just so wildly different!

But the soundtrack in GT puts Super to shame, no doubt about that.

ChaosLordBrandon
Regular

Post by ChaosLordBrandon » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:06 pm

Doctor. wrote:I think Super's 36 episodes so far completely blow GT's out of the water. The Bebi arc is really the only decent part about it and even it is underwhelming. Sure, Super has been underwhelming so far too, but I can safely say it had a lot more memorable moments and much better writing than the godawful Black Star DB arc.
pretty much my thoughts on this.

And how many of these topics have we gotten so far?

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:23 pm

32nd Super episode was half point of GT.
I'm enjoying Super far more, but let's do the reviews after it ends, although i'm sure it can't reach the heights of GT shittiness.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:29 pm

The only characters in GT that I like are Legic, San Xing Long and Si Xing Long. Characters like General Rildo are just so boring and forgettable. If Goku never mention that he was stronger than Buu, no one would remember him. Not to mention I'm not too crazy about Dr. Myuu, Dolltaki, Lord Ludd, Bebi, Super 17 and the other Shadow Dragons. Not to mention Trunks, Goku and Pan had zero chemistry with each other during the space trip. I feel like Super did the character interactions with each other.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/