Colors between DBZ anime and its movies.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Desassina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Colors between DBZ anime and its movies.

Post by Desassina » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:48 pm

I was going through the Dead Zone movie today when I noticed something that I hadn't before: the colors, and why Piccolo and Kami sticked out to make me nauseous (their green clashed with a down to Earth color palette). It's not just Piccolo though, but whoever came from the anime, where the colors are brighter, and went untouched for the movie's scenarios and original characters. Goku is without a tan that suited him, while Gohan's Gi was yellow without a golden hint for depth, and Piccolo and Kami were... well, green. Compare that color to Garlic's true form or Ginger, and even Slug from movie 4, and you know that their greens have more depth and an Earthly appeal to them. Not that the brightest tones can't be good, but since they were going with another color palette for the movie, why couldn't the main characters from the anime be changed as well? I'm asking this, because Garlic was changed for the anime.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Re: Colors between DBZ anime and its movies.

Post by Danfun64 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:08 pm

Different releases give different colors. What release are you referring to? Japanese VHS? Japanese Laserdisc? Dragon Box? Pioneer Single (VHS, Laserdisc, or DVD)? Ultimate Uncut? Double Features? Big Green? Speedy? Toonami censored version from the Rock The Dragon Collectors set? Spain Spanish DVD? Something else entirely?
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Desassina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Desassina » Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:36 pm

I thought that I was watching the movies untouched, because they aired in Portugal, and the DVD are based on the VHS. However, it seems that they were touched even before the Portuguese dub, and that its quality doesn't reflect the best version I've seen. I think I finally found an example of this:

There's something about its quality that I have seen once, but never replicated in home release (except for VHS, perhaps).

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:23 pm

What is the first shot from?
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:31 pm

Puto wrote:What is the first shot from?
The Ocean dub release if you're referring to the left image.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:35 pm

Nejishiki wrote:
Puto wrote:What is the first shot from?
The Ocean dub release if you're referring to the left image.
You sure? It looks more like the Ultimate Uncut Special Edition because it doesn't have insane rainbowing.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:01 pm

Some movies have distinctive color palettes, like the bluish hair in DBZ movie 9. Check out the 色彩設計 (color design) credits in movies. A different person in charge of it means the color palette is also different.

Kunio Tsujita said that he had purposely darkened the shadow colors in movies. When it comes to movies, they had to outsource cel coloring to other companies because of busy schedules, and since Toei Animation used a unique kind of paint, outsourcing results in uneven colors. He extended the gaps between colors so that they look natural with different kinds of paint mixed together in the same shot. The difference is obvious in some shots like the one in which Goku notices one more Metal Coola is coming while panting after defeating the first one. You can see the colors in his face suddenly turning brighter within one shot.

DB1984
Banned

Post by DB1984 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:40 am

kei17 wrote:The difference is obvious in some shots like the one in which Goku notices one more Metal Coola is coming while panting after defeating the first one. You can see the colors in his face suddenly turning brighter within one shot.
And least we forget the shots that were regarded as badly animated of all the DBZ movies.