Akira Toriyama is a christian!??

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Protege
Beyond Newbie

Akira Toriyama is a christian!??

Post by Protege » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:31 pm

Ofcourse take this with the grain of salt but on one thing i can definitely prove you that Toriyama is religious. Because in one of his interviews he did state that he turns to God in times of trouble which indicates why he has such a big respect for gods in general and even made Goku lose against Beerus ;)

Now this is from his actual interview
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations/ ... interview/

Q:One part of the series’ version of the world are all of the gods that turn up. The fact that they’re also aliens is distinctive as well.

A: "I always turn to God in times of trouble. (laughs) Gods and aliens and other unknown beings like that make it easy to craft the story. After all, gods can do practically anything. I have my gods be straightforward and not too fussy, so that children can feel comfortable with them. The reason I give gods attendants… Well, I guess it’s because important people always need butlers, and it’s easy to develop the story through conversations"

There is also many Easter eggs in the series that hint that Toriyama was heavily influenced by Christianity in his story.

Such as naming one of his favorite characters Mr.Satan (which basically stands for christian devil)

Then we have after life and parts where you go to either Hell or Heaven.
And we also see halos in dragon ball which come from christian religion

Ofcourse there is also a chance that Toriyama could be a false prophet or a satan worshipper for liking a character that is a deciever or humanity and is named as satan which draws some red flags for me.

But what do you guys think? Do you think Toriyama is a christian? And if he is do you think hes a satan worshipper or not? Personally i dont think so, but who knows...

Maybe he has a god complex?

Last edited by Protege on Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:08 am, edited 3 times in total.

Cetra
I Live Here

Re: Toriyama is a christian! proof

Post by Cetra » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:32 pm

I always thought Toriyama-san's first name was Akira, not Christian.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Re: Toriyama is a christian! proof

Post by Danfun64 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:33 pm

I don't think Toriyama is a Christian. I think he is aware of Christian imagery, but not necessarily religious himself.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Sandubadear
I Live Here

Re: Akira Toriyama is a christian! proof

Post by Sandubadear » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:00 pm

A: "I always turn to God in times of trouble. (laughs) Gods and aliens and other unknown beings like that make it easy to craft the story. After all, gods can do practically anything. I have my gods be straightforward and not too fussy, so that children can feel comfortable with them. The reason I give gods attendants… Well, I guess it’s because important people always need butlers, and it’s easy to develop the story through conversations"
He says he turns to god as a joke, because introducing gods in the story is an easy way to expand the story. First there's Kami, and because of him Goku could meet another god, Kaio, and when another god appeared (Kaioshin), he introduced the Majin Boo threat. And now there's all a tournament, several new characters from other universes all because of Beerus. He's not talking about religion, but about his story.
"The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
--by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖
Lazy Xenoverse characters: Kuriza, Neko Majin Abra

Protege
Beyond Newbie

Post by Protege » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:08 pm

Sandubadear wrote:
He says he turns to god as a joke, because introducing gods in the story is an easy way to expand the story. First there's Kami, and because of him Goku could meet another god, Kaio, and when another god appeared (Kaioshin), he introduced the Majin Boo threat. And now there's all a tournament, several new characters from other universes all because of Beerus. He's not talking about religion, but about his story.
But then why would he say that gods can do anything? is he talking about all powerful gods who have omnipotence, omniscience or omnipresence?

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:17 pm

I take that as him saying that you don't have to explain the power of gods as he will with mortal characters. It stops him from having to worry about rules in the established story.

Sandubadear
I Live Here

Post by Sandubadear » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:20 pm

I guess it means that a god can have any kind of different power that no-one has and you don't need to explain since it's a god.
"The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
--by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:18 pm

The answer is NO, he is not.

In Japan, there once was a rumor that Toriyama is a believer in Jehovah's Witnesses, and he abandoned any rights related to Dragon Ball because he had noticed that he was controlled by Satan (I'm not talking about Mr. Satan here, of course) when he was drawing the manga. This strange rumor is believed to originate in a local bulletin of Jehovah's Witnesses and their aim was to make their children stop reading/watching Dragon Ball for religious reasons, but the source hasn't been actually found yet.

After the rumor, Toriyama clearly denied it in an interview included in a book named 消えたマンガ家 アッパー系の巻. In it, he also said "基本的に宗教は嫌い (I basically dislike religions)".

There is still a possibility of him nominally being Christian, but only less than 1% of the population in Japan believes in Christianity, so it's unlikely.
Cetra wrote:I always thought Toriyama-san's first name was Akira, not Christian.
Christians in Japan tend to have a traditional Japanese first name.
Last edited by kei17 on Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:24 am, edited 3 times in total.

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:22 pm

kei17 wrote:The answer is NO, he is not.

In Japan, there once was a rumor that Toriyama is a believer in Jehovah's Witnesses, and he abandoned any rights related to Dragon Ball because he had noticed that he was controlled by Satan (I'm not talking about Mr. Satan here, of course) when he was drawing the manga. This strange rumor is believed to be originates in a local bulletin of Jehovah's Witnesses and their aim was to make their children stop reading/watching Dragon Ball for religious reasons, but the source hasn't been actually found yet.

After the rumor, Toriyama clearly denied it in an interview included in a book named 消えたマンガ家 アッパー系の巻. In it, he also said "基本的に宗教は嫌い (I basically dislike religions)".
Really fascinating stuff as always, Kei. That's a spectacular tidbit. (I guess this interview isn't on Kanzenshuu?)

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:28 pm

Not all that surprising. If he was a Christian there is a good chance that he would have tried pleasing the fundamentalists through making DB with no perversity; no nudity; no blatant magic use unless the user is evil (Fortuneteller Baba wouldn't exist, but Bibidi and Babidi would); toned down violence ; Mr. Satan, Videl and possibly Pan not being called those names etc.

Also, him saying that he doesn't like religions might explain how complex and at times ridiculous the religious system of the DB Universe is.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Sandubadear
I Live Here

Post by Sandubadear » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:42 pm

kei17 wrote:The answer is NO, he is not.

In Japan, there once was a rumor that Toriyama is a believer in Jehovah's Witnesses, and he abandoned any rights related to Dragon Ball because he had noticed that he was controlled by Satan (I'm not talking about Mr. Satan here, of course) when he was drawing the manga. This strange rumor is believed to be originates in a local bulletin of Jehovah's Witnesses and their aim was to make their children stop reading/watching Dragon Ball for religious reasons, but the source hasn't been actually found yet.

There is still a possibility of him nominally being Christian, but only less than 1% of the population in Japan believes in Christianity, so it's unlikely.
How weird, lol

--by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:43 pm

Danfun64 wrote:Mr. Satan, Videl and possibly Pan not being called those names etc.
Pan means "bread," so I can't imagine what any particular sect of Christianity could have against that, unless they thought it was an attack on communion wafers.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:48 pm

It can also refer to the Greek god, keeping with the religious theme of her family. I didn't say her name would definitely have been changed, however.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:55 pm

Aren't most people in Japan buddhist? I remember people telling me that there is not many christians in Japan.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:58 pm

Danfun64 wrote:It can also refer to the Greek god, keeping with the religious theme of her family. I didn't say her name would definitely have been changed, however.
It COULD refer to that, just like it could potentially refer to a frying pan, but in this instance, it definitively doesn't. I mean, a Greek god doesn't tie into the devil naming scheme in the first place. But the fact is, Pan's naming scheme is in line with her father, not her mother.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

RedRibbonSoldier#42
Regular

Post by RedRibbonSoldier#42 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:01 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:Aren't most people in Japan buddhist? I remember people telling me that there is not many christians in Japan.
Yet somehow every anime ever gets a Christmas episode. :)

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:02 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:Aren't most people in Japan buddhist? I remember people telling me that there is not many christians in Japan.
Buddhism isn't an exclusive religion. A lot of Japanese people are both Buddhist and Shinto, or at least label themselves as such.

Christianity never really gained much of a foothold in Japan. It started to, once, but then, uh, things happened. After all that, they weren't to keen on the idea again.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:04 pm

If it's any consolation, Furukawa Toshio is a Christian. I assume his wife, Kakinuma Shino, is one, too. Kakinuma, of course, voiced Videl in Dragon Ball Kai.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:06 pm

Haha, I never knew that. The Daimao is a Christian! That cracks me up! :clap:

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:08 pm

RedRibbonSoldier#42 wrote:
Yet somehow every anime ever gets a Christmas episode. :)
Japan is a big capitalism country just like the US. So I can see why they have Christmas over in Japan. Not to mention Christmas is often celebrated in major cities in China from what I've read.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/