"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheDevilsCorpse

Re: Super's manga by Toyotarō

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:07 pm

Ah. I didn't even pay attention to the version. Just assumed you were running the latest and that they'd basically be the same across OS.

Anyway, Version 49.0.2623.110 m (64-bit).
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:36 pm

Okay, I found the issue.

For whatever reason, Chrome was defaulting to Roboto Bold on my PC. I removed Roboto Bold and it's now displaying correctly.

From what I'm reading online, a lot of designers face this issue with other fonts such as Helvetica.

Chrome seems to have a lot of text-rendering bugs. Not sure there's anything you can do.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

jplaya2023
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by jplaya2023 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:43 pm

i think we're going to see more long manga chapters but not really introduce new material. It's going to slow down story progression wise but add more details and information to existing fights so the manga isn't like 10 episodes ahead of the manga

Protege
Beyond Newbie

Post by Protege » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:46 pm

Damn it! Come on your not in 80s anymore Toriyama. Just let go of that mania. Majority of your viewers and fans of the series are the same people who grew up watching dragon ball back when it was in its golden age. And are probably in their mid 30s atleast. Dont censor or dumb down your ideas just to please a few kids who probably never even had respect to watch the original show or had to wait patiently every week to read the newest dragon ball chapter.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:49 pm

Protege wrote:Damn it! Come on your not in 80s anymore Toriyama. Just let go of that mania. Majority of your viewers and fans of the series are the same people who grew up watching dragon ball back when it was in its golden age. And are probably in their mid 30s atleast. Dont censor or dumb down your ideas just to please a few kids who probably never even watched the original show.
That's a surefire way to destroy the franchise.

If you don't go after a new audience, all you can do is AT BEST maintain the current audience, which is never going to happen. You're always going to bleed numbers, because very few people stay fans of something for life. For Dragon Ball to survive, it needs new (younger) audience members. Fans should not only understand this, but embrace it.

Now, don't misunderstand: that's not to say you can't be unhappy with where the series currently is and where it's heading. At the same time, let's not be totally naive here!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:55 pm

You have to put things into perspective. We know that we are diehard fans, but we statistically represent a minority of the fanbase, especially given that most of us aren't Japanese or the intended demographic. It's not exactly wrong that Toriyama wants to make the children happy but it doesn't undo that he expressed how thankful he was some of the older fans were still reading his story. I guess what I'm trying to say is that he's only staying true to his forte.

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Post by Wezenheim » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:01 pm

Protege wrote:a few kids who probably never even had respect to watch the original show or had to wait patiently every week to read the newest dragon ball chapter.
You mean like the incredibly large number of people who grew up watching 'Z', another large portion of which never bothered to watch or read Dragon Ball?

Dragon Ball has always been a very simple story, aimed at children. Mike summed it up best.

Protege
Beyond Newbie

Post by Protege » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:57 pm

Wezenheim wrote:
Protege wrote:a few kids who probably never even had respect to watch the original show or had to wait patiently every week to read the newest dragon ball chapter.
You mean like the incredibly large number of people who grew up watching 'Z', another large portion of which never bothered to watch or read Dragon Ball?

Dragon Ball has always been a very simple story, aimed at children. Mike summed it up best.
I mean they could always cater down Dragon Ball to a more Otaku fanbase if you know what i mean. Since the series has plenty of action figures, cosplayers and general fandom. Ofcourse I dont how exactly how popular Dragon Ball is among the younger fans but if the two latest Dragon Ball movies that were released in japan did not indicate the major demographic age of who went to see them then i dont know what will. Maybe Kei or Julian might have the answer? Because I know in US majority of the people who went to see RoF were mostly adults.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:08 pm

Kai on Nicktoons got great ratings, so there certainly is an intereset in Dragon Ball from kids too. And since in Japan Super is playing fairly early in the morning, it's not hard to come to the conclusion that a large chunk of those great ratings are from kids. Sure, there are adults watching, but I don't think they are a majority.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

buutenks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by buutenks » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:17 pm

Why are some of you so obsessed with seeing blood?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:20 pm

Dragon Ball animation isn't going to be catered to Otaku. There isn't enough demand for it.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

KidGoku>3
Beyond Newbie

Post by KidGoku>3 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:47 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
Protege wrote:Damn it! Come on your not in 80s anymore Toriyama. Just let go of that mania. Majority of your viewers and fans of the series are the same people who grew up watching dragon ball back when it was in its golden age. And are probably in their mid 30s atleast. Dont censor or dumb down your ideas just to please a few kids who probably never even watched the original show.

If you don't go after a new audience, all you can do is AT BEST maintain the current audience, which is never going to happen. You're always going to bleed numbers, because very few people stay fans of something for life. For Dragon Ball to survive, it needs new (younger) audience members. Fans should not only understand this, but embrace it.

Now, don't misunderstand: that's not to say you can't be unhappy with where the series currently is and where it's heading. At the same time, let's not be totally naive here!
That + if the original Dragon Ball was aimed towards more mature people like some are asking it should be now, WE, the older generation wouldn't even be into Dragon Ball today.
It would be selfish to demand it'd be aimed towards US. What about them ? Still I think they are doing a good job, especially as of late, to try to please not only the kids but the older fans too. IMO of course. Hopefully the new generation will grow up with a bit more understanding and appreciation of DB.

Protege
Beyond Newbie

Post by Protege » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:42 pm

Draconic wrote:Kai on Nicktoons got great ratings, so there certainly is an intereset in Dragon Ball from kids too. And since in Japan Super is playing fairly early in the morning, it's not hard to come to the conclusion that a large chunk of those great ratings are from kids. Sure, there are adults watching, but I don't think they are a majority.
Early in the morning on weekends though.

Super Birado

Post by Super Birado » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:02 pm

Can anyone help me understand where I can buy a copy in Japan? I lived there for over three years and only recently moved back to the states. I remember places like Lawson Station and Family Mart would always have a rack for new manga. I ask because a friend of mine still living there is trying to find a copy of Volume 1 to send me, but cannot find it in any convenience store or even book store. I lived in 沖縄県 down south and I wonder if that might be why... It felt like things were often released a little bit later down there but maybe I'm mistaken.

Anyways, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Planetnamek.com veteran 1999-2002

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:22 am

VegettoEX wrote:

^Eyup. If you don't cater to the kids in some way, chances are the show's not gonna last all that long. I mean, an awesome show like Young Justice, despite millions of viewers, was cancelled because the toys for the show didn't sell all that well, believe it or not.

But back to the topic, I wonder how the manga will keep up with the anime now, given how fast the latter is progressing. I think the last chapter had about 36 pages covering a lot (and the fighting looked better lolz). Can't wait to see Hit's moves depicted in the manga, oh boy ;D

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:36 am

Super Birado wrote:Can anyone help me understand where I can buy a copy in Japan? I lived there for over three years and only recently moved back to the states. I remember places like Lawson Station and Family Mart would always have a rack for new manga. I ask because a friend of mine still living there is trying to find a copy of Volume 1 to send me, but cannot find it in any convenience store or even book store. I lived in 沖縄県 down south and I wonder if that might be why... It felt like things were often released a little bit later down there but maybe I'm mistaken.

Anyways, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Volume 1? It's pretty heavily sold out from what I understand. You may have to order a copy from CDJapan (who miraculously still has it in-stock).
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:43 am

The June V Jump is now up for preorder on Amazon. April 21st is the release date.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B01DZHQLQQ/
-Rachel

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:56 am

It's good to see all these buying options, I also know Kinokuniya USA will often keep copies of the latest shonen manga at its stores and sometimes online. Now that there's practically guaranteed a tankōbon release for the upcoming chapters of Super, I think I'm going to wait on buying monthly. :D

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:43 pm

buutenks wrote:Why are some of you so obsessed with seeing blood?
It's a small little verisimilitude thing the series used to be able to do (and the movies still get away with) that's been absent in Super, presumably due to its time slot and new standards. I completely understand being excited about its return, because its absence is a little distracting, and less believable.*

*I know we're talking about believability in a show about fantasy martial arts and cat gods, but everything has its shades.

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta
Advanced Regular

Post by LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta » Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:00 pm

buutenks wrote:Why are some of you so obsessed with seeing blood?
Because if there's no blood it doesn't have that badass feeling of violence, which is a BIG part of dragonball. Action and violence. You can't go backwards and go from blood to no blood, it's childish to have no blood.

I agree with Vegito's statement, you need to appeal to kids but you can't make dragonball FOR kids. That limits the market. Do what Star Wars does.

make it for EVERYONE! Star Wars is good for men, woman, teens and children and old people. It's APPROPRIATE for kids, but it isn't JUST for kids. Ya know? Where kids CAN watch but not just them. Star Wars you can watch as a kid, but also with adults who'll watch by themselves. That's how DBZ was, it was Okay for kids to watch alone, but also enjoyable to adults. You can't keep cursing and blood from kids or they grow up repressed and will not be ready for what the world has for them. Don't show them south park level of cursing, and you don't need to organs get ripped out like it's mortal kombat, but keep it at a level for everyone. Look at the last film, resurrection F. It had cursing like BOG, and blood and action.....is it inappropriate for kids? No. It's perfect for kids. No disgusting nudity or sensitive subjects or points of views displayed. ROF was a good film that's appropriate for kids and everyone else. Kids can watch it by themselves without needing adult supervision for the movie itself. But also adults can enjoy it as well. BOG and ROF like the other 13 DBZ films hit that perfect middle ground that Super isn't hitting. It needs blood and cursing to not feel like what kai was when you saw the EDITED version on toonzai and nicktoons. Because then people think it's got no back bone, which not only upsets hardcore fans who buy a lot of the products but also makes people not want to come to the show when it's been made in a way to appease soccer moms.
Any post before 8/7/2016 isn't mine. This account was a gift from someone who thought the account was already banned. Saved me the trouble of making a new one haha XD

I love DB/DBZ/DBGT/DBZK/DBS (If I didn't why would I be here? XD)