The Perfect Set?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JAPPO
I Live Here

The Perfect Set?

Post by JAPPO » Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:41 pm

Sorry if this is lame or whatnot.

Since none of you like the new "digitally remastered" box set, why don't you tell me what you think the PERFECT set would be.

PLEASE DO NOT SAY DRAGON BOX.

Here's an example:

1) Remastered
2) Same audio tracks as season 1
3) Full Screen
4) Special Feature: Commentary on every episode, better booklet, interview with cast
5) 5.1 surround for Japanese track
6) 40 dollars
Last edited by JAPPO on Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If challenge had a taste, you'd be quite delicious.

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:48 pm

1) Remastered
3) Full Screen
4) Special Feature: Commentary on every episode, better booklet, interview with cast
6) 40 dollars
Sounds good to me :wink:.

Brad Redfield
Regular

Re: The Perfect Set?

Post by Brad Redfield » Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:01 pm

JAPPO wrote:1) Remastered
Actual frame-by-frame remastering. No automated bull.
I guess, though I doubt I wouldn't buy it if it didn't have it. (The english dub with japanese music I mean.) As long as the original japanese audio is on there, I'm cool.
3) Full Screen
That would be number one on my list. The original 1:33:1 frame.
I wouldn't bother doing commentaries. I don't need to hear what Chris Sabat or anyone else has to say for 291 episodes. Save that valuable space for something else.

A better booklet would be great. How about something that's pretty much a translation of the books that were included with the Dragon Boxes? Those would be fantastic.

I'd say they should make a documentary that tracks the history of DBZ around the world, not just the US. It'd have interviews with the original japanese crew and both international vocal talents of the show.
While that would be great, it's impossible to do. I'm quite fine with the mono track.

6) 40 dollars
No problems there.

But really, even if you said not to include it, I would love to have the english equiviliant of the Dragon Box. That would be what I would really want for a "perfect" set. :P

Mr.Piccolo

Post by Mr.Piccolo » Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:07 pm

JAPPO wrote:1) Remastered
Given.
JAPPO wrote:2) Same audio tracks as season 1
That'd be awesome IMHO.
JAPPO wrote:3) Full Screen
Yeah, 4:3 is what's expected right?
JAPPO wrote:4) Special Feature: Commentary on every episode, better booklet, interview with cast
..That might be a little too much. Look at answer 6.
JAPPO wrote:5) 5.1 surround for Japanese track
I'd appreciate it.
JAPPO wrote:6) 40 dollars
No. No. and no. Everything comes at a price and if you think you are going to get all of the things listed above, you'll be in for a surprise when you get your package (kind of like what we've heard with a few of the Season1 reviews). In closing: Gimme the DragonBoxes with subtitles. :P
-Rick
[size=92][b][url=http://www.freewebs.com/rickistheboss/][RICKisBOSS][/url] | [/b] [color=green][b][Green Team][/color][/b] [b]|[/b] [b][url=http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?t=4512][R29 DUB][/url][/b] [b]| [url=http://][DBRPG][/url][/b]
You can call me Rick because I'm not actually Piccolo.
I missed out on all of the DB Movie fun, huh?[quote]Point blank: it's gonna suck if you want it to. Personally, I'm seeing it as a comedy.[/quote][/size]

mAcChaos

Post by mAcChaos » Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:09 pm

Well, if it had Cell on it, for starters...
[i]"I have yet to show you, young warrior, what I'm truly capable of."[/i] - Cell

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:09 pm

People please, give your own opinions. Don't just break down whatever I say.

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:17 pm

JAPPO wrote:Sorry if this is lame or whatnot.

Since none of you like the new "digitally remastered" box set, why don't you tell me what you think the PERFECT set would be.

...well, fuck. Why not? A good chunk of your stuff describes the Dragon Boxes :P

-Corey

Mystery Person X
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mystery Person X » Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:20 pm

#1 priority is the original aspect ratio, of course.

I have no interest in a 5.1 Japanese track, or in audio commentaries and other miscellaneous extras (unless they involve the Japanese creative staff, which is very unlikely). I also don't really care about the price - I'd pay quite a lot more than the price of the season sets for an actual decent release. I might even have bought the UUE DVDs eventually if they ever finished them, and those were way overpriced.

As for remastering... Obviously the ideal is for FUNi to just get the R2 masters, and second best is for them to do a proper frame-by-frame remaster to remove all the dirt and film damage, much like Toei did for the R2 release. Barring either of those, I'd prefer FUNi kept their hands off it (except for maybe adjusting the colours a bit) instead of giving it the same kind of "remaster" as the season sets. It's an old show, I can cope with it looking slightly worn.

The other thing I'd really like is for Cha-La Head-Cha-La to be included where it should be on the dub track, and (if possible) the insert songs as well.

So ultimately, I think I'm pretty easy to please :)

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:20 pm

The Dragon Box is what a good majority of people would want, so it'd be impossible to not say it. However it FUNimation would actually go through the trouble of actually cleaning up the footage frame-by-frame while keeping much of the original colors, then that would be cool.
XBL Gamertag: Dragon Piece
Send me a message letting me know who you are
[quote="penguintruth"]In the case of the Mountain Dew, the DBZ dub is like drinking Mountain Dew and thinking, "I sure do love Coca Cola!"[/quote]

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:33 pm

Brad Redfield wrote:
JAPPO wrote:5.1 surround for Japanese track
While that would be great, it's impossible to do.
Impossible to do for FUNimation, maybe, but not impossible to do.

As for my perfect set, I really don't ask for much.

Presentation
- Original aspect ratio and framing.
- Remastered. Hell, the picture quality doesn't even have to be perfect; just good enough so that I'm not distracted by it.
- Original colors intact.
- English dub with Japanese music (ALL of the original music, insert songs and all) and original Japanese with Subtitles.
- Original, correct credits for the Japanese version and translated credits for the dub, in both the openings and endings.

Bonus Features
- Textless Openings & Endings.
- Commentaries on select episodes by the English cast & crew.
- Some sort of retrospective featurette that gives the English cast/crew a chance to talk about their experience with dubbing all three shows over the past ten years.
- Featurette on the original Japanese cast and crew.

That's really all I need. Actually, I could deal with just having the show presented the right way. The special features would just be the cherry on top. And personally, I think hearing the English crew talk about the show would be fun to listen to. Yes, I prefer the Japanese version, but I also happen to be a fan of the FUNi dub. *ducks*

And despite the long list, it really wouldn't be that hard. Hint, hint, FUNimation....
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

Eclipse
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Eclipse » Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:51 pm

I'd say they should make a documentary that tracks the history of DBZ around the world, not just the US. It'd have interviews with the original japanese crew and both international vocal talents of the show.
I actually wanted something like that for the box sets. Ekh =P

Anyways, I just want a product that has very nice (fullscreen) picture, great audio and translations, and is widely distributed, so it's easy to find ^.^
I don't really care much about the cost, as long as I can find 10 copies in every DVD outlet in my area

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:41 pm

Box of the Dragon. :P

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:51 pm

Commentaries would be nice too. Heard the last YYH eps had commentary as did the Special edition of Conquerer of Shamballa, so why not DBZ?

MajinVejitaXV

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:38 pm

Castor Troy wrote:Box of the Dragon. :P
Si, la caja del dragón esta muy bueno! :lol:

-Corey

P.S. - What color is the sky, and do not say blue.

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:45 pm

JAPPO wrote: Since none of you like the new "digitally remastered" box set, why don't you tell me what you think the PERFECT set would be.

If you want us to tell you what each of our 'perfect' sets would be....can you really give us limitations?

If you just wanted to know what our best set 'minus dragonbox' would be, but by asking for our PERFECT set, you can't really give us limitations.

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:01 pm

I don't want this thread to be this:

GUY: Dragonbox.

OTHER GUY: I agree.

OTHER GUY 2: I agree.

OTHER GUY 3: Dragonbox.

MajinVejitaXV

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:20 pm

JAPPO wrote:I don't want this thread to be this:

GUY: Dragonbox.

OTHER GUY: I agree.

OTHER GUY 2: I agree.

OTHER GUY 3: Dragonbox.
That's why you say, "Explain why."

That way I could say, "Because they painstakingly restored the episodes frame-by frame and included awesome extras like commercials, international footage and a booklet that includes an episode guide, character profiles and interviews with those who worked on the show."

See how that works? ;p

-Corey

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:24 pm

Well, fuck your no Dragonbox rule.

My perfect set would be

1. Dragonbox DVD masters (SPECIFICALLY those masters, so no need for a seperate item on the list to say 4:3 ratio)
2. Dual Layer disks
3. 6 episodes a disk max
4. English Broadcast, Japanese, English w/ Japanese Music audio
5. $50 MSRP per half season maximum (be it in half season boxes or full season boxes)
6. Packaging being a decent quality chipboard box (like most of Funi's boxes), with thinpaks for the specific case for each disk
7. Any extras would be nice, but frankly, I would be fine without them, even though I love detailed extras.

That is what would be for my PERFECT box. (Not my dream set, but my perfect set that I believe to be REALISTIC to a point, the Dragonbox masters might not be realistic, but I think it is at the very least a 'maybe').

Zeroplus
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Zeroplus » Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:36 pm

Mine would be as followed:

1. DragonBox RE-Mastered @ 1080P (With a choice of Full Screen or Cropped Wide Screen, black bars being added and whatnot.)
2. Dual Sided-Dual Layer HD-DVD Discs (70GBs of data space, data on both sides on the disc)
3. Audio Tracks for: ENG Voices, JPN Voices, ENG BGM, JPN BGM - All interchangeable, this includes any sound effects that were redone. (All of the Mono, Stereo, and 5.1 Tracks - FUNi, Ocean and Toei)
4. Edited and Unedited subtitles and content for the younger viewers.
5. And insert all extras you can think of here.

nathantheguitarist

Post by nathantheguitarist » Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:57 pm

Well.... hmm....

1.) FULLSCREEN, and UNALTERED colors. :roll:
2.) Actual frame-by-frame remastering
3.) All of the audio options as the new sets, just selectable 2.0 stereo, and 5.1 surround for each dub track, because not everyone has surround sound ;)
4.) Much better Packaging. And if it has to be Digipak, make it like either like the Dragonboxes (Book-like covers) or like the Everybody Loves Raymond season sets (Regular Digipak, but very thick), and give it a thick slip cover like the First Strike set. And none of this overlapping shit...
5.) The booklet... meh... translated Dragonbooks, or Daizenshuus lol. idk
6.) The special features: a documentary on the remastering, longer than 5 minutes and not filled with lies. And special commentary only on select episodes. And no trailers, unless they're funny Japanese commercials for Dragonball chairs and such. :lol:
7.) Something that would be really cool, even if they were crammed into the last two discs or something. But besides having the Dub, the Dub with Japanese BGM, and the Japanese Dub... have the option to watch the Spanish Dub with English subtitles, AND the option to watch the original cut, Ocean Dubbed episodes. 8)

Ok.. now I'm just going to far... *sigh* one can only dream :roll:
Can't you see? He's the man. Let me hear you applaud. He's more than a man! He's a shiny golden god!