For those that watched the dub AND sub before reading manga:

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

z_cherub
Beyond Newbie

For those that watched the dub AND sub before reading manga:

Post by z_cherub » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:02 am

I watched the dub up through the Recoom fight on Cartoon Network in the mid/late 90s. Since that's all NA had at the time, I sought out fan subs at local anime shops and haven't looked back from subs since. I've watched all of DB/Z/GT subbed multiple times over the last 15 years or so and have a strong preference for the original jp cast.

One thing I had never done, though, is read the manga. I set out to rectify that a few months ago and am now on vol. 1 of DB"Z" (as Viz labels everything aftet Piccolo Jr in NA). I'm loving it (despite some annoying and questionable edits).

Oddly, though, in spite of my not watching the dub for over 10 years, for a few of the characters, I found myself hearing their English voice in my head as I read the dialogue. This was true mostly of characters I didn't watch a lot of. I.e. Piccolo Daimo - watched Z a time or two more than DB & had heard his English voice on YouTube videos, Muten Roshi - have no idea why I "heard" his English voice off and on.... Other characters (Piccolo Jr & Kuririn, it was their Japanese VAs that I "heard" almost without fail.

Anyone else that watched the subbed and subbed show prior to reading the manga run into this? What do you guys "hear" when reading the manga?

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Re: For those that watched the dub AND sub before reading ma

Post by Nejishiki » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:10 am

If I'm being perfectly honest, only Nozawa's Goku manages to find her way into my manga. For the most part, the voices characters have are separate from any dub I've listened to. For example, I hear Boo with a smooth, neutral voice with a slight tone of confusion than his usual portrayal.

z_cherub
Beyond Newbie

Post by z_cherub » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:39 am

Nejishiki wrote:If I'm being perfectly honest, only Nozawa's Goku manages to find her way into my manga. For the most part, the voices characters have are separate from any dub I've listened to. For example, I hear Boo with a smooth, neutral voice with a slight tone of confusion than his usual portrayal.
Yeah, Nozawa's all I hear for Goku as well. Other characters were occasionally "dub voices" in my case... Weird.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:22 pm

When Kuririn is speaking, Sonny Strait and Mayumi Tanaka fluctuate in my head. Same with Piccolo, Chris Sabat, and Toshio Furukawa. When it's Oolong, I distinctly hear Naoki Tatsuta speaking English.

Everybody else is some weird mesh of my own voice and their Japanese actor, if that makes any sense.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

z_cherub
Beyond Newbie

Post by z_cherub » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:58 pm

B wrote:When Kuririn is speaking, Sonny Strait and Mayumi Tanaka fluctuate in my head. Same with Piccolo, Chris Sabat, and Toshio Furukawa. When it's Oolong, I distinctly hear Naoki Tatsuta speaking English.

Everybody else is some weird mesh of my own voice and their Japanese actor, if that makes any sense.
It does. Funny how that works. Oddly enough, the English voice I kept hearing muten roshi was from the Funi dub which I never watched much of (Ocean is what I saw on tv).

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:30 pm

z_cherub wrote:I watched the dub up through the Recoom fight on Cartoon Network in the mid/late 90s. Since that's all NA had at the time, I sought out fan subs at local anime shops and haven't looked back from subs since. I've watched all of DB/Z/GT subbed multiple times over the last 15 years or so and have a strong preference for the original jp cast.

One thing I had never done, though, is read the manga. I set out to rectify that a few months ago and am now on vol. 1 of DB"Z" (as Viz labels everything aftet Piccolo Jr in NA). I'm loving it (despite some annoying and questionable edits).

Oddly, though, in spite of my not watching the dub for over 10 years, for a few of the characters, I found myself hearing their English voice in my head as I read the dialogue. This was true mostly of characters I didn't watch a lot of. I.e. Piccolo Daimo - watched Z a time or two more than DB & had heard his English voice on YouTube videos, Muten Roshi - have no idea why I "heard" his English voice off and on.... Other characters (Piccolo Jr & Kuririn, it was their Japanese VAs that I "heard" almost without fail.

Anyone else that watched the subbed and subbed show prior to reading the manga run into this? What do you guys "hear" when reading the manga?

Oh yeah. Sometimes would hear the Ocean voices for the early stuff at times. Only English voices as can't hear Japanese actors in English. And it's not just a DB thing. It's been years since I watched Superfriends, but when I read Golden and Silver Age Batman comics, I hear Casey Kasem for Robin.

RedRibbonSoldier#42
Regular

Post by RedRibbonSoldier#42 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:35 pm

If i try to imagine/read Goku saying something in english, i hear schemmel. When i imagine/read him saying something in Japanese i hear Nozawa. It's impossible for me to switch it up.

z_cherub
Beyond Newbie

Post by z_cherub » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:38 pm

RedRibbonSoldier#42 wrote:If i try to imagine/read Goku saying something in english, i hear schemmel. When i imagine/read him saying something in Japanese i hear Nozawa. It's impossible for me to switch it up.
That's the wierd part for me. For Goku (kid Goku especially) I hear Nozawa, but my brain does this thing where Nozawa is speaking, I can't understand, and i read the speech bubbles like they're subtitles, so in my head, it's like watching the sub (except the Japanese is probably gibberish as I can't speak Japanese).

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:29 pm

It's hard for me to imagine the JPN actors speaking English. I don't speak Japanese so I can't imagine the dialog in anything other than English. What I hear is the dub actors speaking better dialog than they were ever given in the original dub. I also imagine a mix between the in house dub and Ocean dub actors.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

z_cherub
Beyond Newbie

Post by z_cherub » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:52 am

ABED wrote:It's hard for me to imagine the JPN actors speaking English. I don't speak Japanese so I can't imagine the dialog in anything other than English. What I hear is the dub actors speaking better dialog than they were ever given in the original dub. I also imagine a mix between the in house dub and Ocean dub actors.
That's an interesting point, and in a lot of ways, it makes more sense that way.

I basically just imagine I'm watching a subbed episode as far as what I "hear", lol.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:57 am

It's really difficult to explain.

More than anything else, it's the Japanese voices "speaking" some nebulous, formless, incomprehensible approximation of English. Since you can read and process text faster than you can speak it aloud (or hear someone else speak it), I think that's part of what contributes to there not really being "words" that I can make out. It's like it's just the raw tone of their voices slurring along as I read.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:08 am

VegettoEX wrote:It's really difficult to explain.

More than anything else, it's the Japanese voices "speaking" some nebulous, formless, incomprehensible approximation of English. Since you can read and process text faster than you can speak it aloud (or hear someone else speak it), I think that's part of what contributes to there not really being "words" that I can make out. It's like it's just the raw tone of their voices slurring along as I read.
Yep. This is pretty much how it is for me. Think of, like, the Mario & Luigi games where the brothers "speak" in this goofy, incomprehensible nonsense. Only it's subtitled. :D
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

z_cherub
Beyond Newbie

Post by z_cherub » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:10 am

VegettoEX wrote:It's really difficult to explain.

Yes! That's a great way to articulate it.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:40 am

Super Sonic wrote:Oh yeah. Sometimes would hear the Ocean voices for the early stuff at times. Only English voices as can't hear Japanese actors in English. And it's not just a DB thing. It's been years since I watched Superfriends, but when I read Golden and Silver Age Batman comics, I hear Casey Kasem for Robin.
The same thing happens to me. When I read the Saiyan or Freeza saga, I imagine Brian Drummond as Vegeta and then Christopher Sabat for the rest of the series. It's the same in DBM if you're familiar with that story. I hear Christopher Sabat when I imagine U18 Vegeta and Brian Drummond for U13 Prince Vegeta since he's still the same villain from the Saiyan saga.

I never had the chance to watch the entire series subbed so I don't hear the Japanese voice actors when reading the original manga. It's kinda happening now with Super though since it's only been released in Japanese. When I read the DBS manga, I imagine Goku having a higher pitched voice than Schemmel's. I guess it also depends on how often you hear the voice. It's been a few years since I've watched the Funimation dub so in all the recent times I've heard Goku, he was either voiced by Masako Nozawa or MasakoX.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:27 pm

Back in the day when reading the Viz manga I'd sometimes actively assign voices to charcters, generally from other anime dubs. So Piccolo I imagined as speaking like Vicious from Cowboy Bebop. It worked reasonably well. A lot of stuff I read in the manga before seeing in anime form, so I'd have no reference point for some characters' voices. Raditz in my head kept sounding like Sabat's Vegeta for some reason. For Vegeta himself I had a kind of "Horikawa speaking in English" thing going on.

These days I read the manga in Japanese, so I typically "hear" the characters as the Japanese cast. And even when reading other manga I'll sometimes end up hearing certain characters with DB voices. For instance reading the One Piece manga I always imagined Ace sounding like Yamcha, so I still haven't gotten used to hearing Piccolo's voice come out of his mouth in the anime.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Hero
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hero » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:17 pm

Being a Funi dub fan, whenever I read the Viz manga I read it with the old dub voices talking. Though because of Kai I imagine Chris Ayres as Frieza and the more natural voices for Goku, Vegeta, Piccolo, Krillin, etc.

I still imagine old Funi Bulma and Gohan talking, though.

DonAce
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DonAce » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:27 am

I used to hear the dub voices in my head, but now I hear the Japanese cast and they just kind of string together sounds with a sudden clear word if I happen to know the word and conjugation for what they would be saying.

z_cherub
Beyond Newbie

Post by z_cherub » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:17 am

DonAce wrote:I used to hear the dub voices in my head, but now I hear the Japanese cast and they just kind of string together sounds with a sudden clear word if I happen to know the word and conjugation for what they would be saying.
Pretty much exactly what I hear for most characters as well!

Captain Space
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Captain Space » Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:00 am

Usually I don't 'hear' anything, I just get absorbed in the reading, but occasionally I'll randomly decide to try and give them voices in my head, but then I just end up confusing myself because Goku constantly flip-flops between Schemmel and Nozawa...so I usually give up on that pretty quickly, aheh.
"Actually I didn’t know what Bulma’s real hair color was" --Toriyama

Darkton
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Darkton » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:05 am

I usually default to FUNi voices, but with Goku I always seem to default to hearing Applejack's voice instead of Schemmel's. Am I doing something wrong?