Character Guide

Help the Kanzenshuu staff beta-test new sections, new website initiatives, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Character Guide

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:56 am

*** Daizenshuu EX - Character Guide ***

Two bios written. I think a few people have seen Raditz's. Just did Nappa's tonight. I'd really like to tie in the idea that was suggested, earlier, of having some kind of "Staff Reflections" on the characters (were they under-used, how did they grow, etc.), so you can expect those in the future.

With characters like Nappa and Raditz that are only around for a few episodes, I get pretty in-depth and descriptive. For characters like Goku (who's in EVERY stupid LITTLE scene), I don't get quite so.. uhh... insane. I think I've said this before, but right now, Goku's bio is 14 pages, hand-written, front and back, single spaced... and I'm only about half-way through the Buu saga, and didn't write anything about the Red Ribbon Army saga. And that's NOT in-depth. Imagine the fun I'll have doine THOSE screen caps... *passes out*

God, Pioneer's seasons 1/2 DVDs are such shit.

I don't even know what I'm looking for in responses. Stuff. And junk. And stuff.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Thu Jan 22, 2004 2:35 am

:shock:

Godamn it. I have seen over a bazillion DBZ bios on the internet before, but not one of them has an ounce of the insane amount of information yours does. Do more I say! More!

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Thu Jan 22, 2004 2:42 am

Just checked out the bios on Raditz and Nappa. Really nice VegEx! I love the still frames spread throughout the text. It adds a nice professional touch! :)

Deus ex Machina

Post by Deus ex Machina » Thu Jan 22, 2004 2:54 am

I would just like to note, under special attacks for Nappa you listed None. However, isn't the attack where he lifts two fingers to explode an area a special attack? And his mouth beam as well, not many Saiyans ever used that. (it was usually reserved for mindless brutes like the giant apes...so it suits Nappa perfectly ^_^)

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:34 am

Ever notice when Nappa does his two-finger technique, that the look on his face and the motion he does it with, looks like he's saying "Up yours!" ? Which works, because that suits Nappa perfectly too.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:55 am

Daizenshuu 7 would help you A LOT for this section. It has bios for EVERYBODY in the manga, anime and movies, as well as the chronology if you need an age.
probably over 30 (significantly older than Vegeta)
Daizenshuu 7 lists him at over 50 upon the appearance of his death, but doesn't give any age info for Radditz. (Nor Bardock. :( )
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:39 pm

Yeah, I seem to remember Nappa's two-fingered explosion was called Bakuhatsu-ha (gee, what an aptly named attack! Dur!). And yeah, he calls his mouth-blast his "ultimate attack," but it's not named in the manga (it's something like Blast Cannon in the games).

Unfortunately, daizenshuu 7 is the only one I don't own :P.
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:44 pm

Unfortunately, daizenshuu 7 is the only one I don't own .
Don't worry! Until Monday I have no life so feel free to bug me as much as you like! :P
...Why am I happy about that? :(
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Thu Jan 22, 2004 4:52 pm

What do you mean you have no life. Shouldn't you be at school boy!? :mrgreen:

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Thu Jan 22, 2004 5:03 pm

I have NO breaks in the first semester. As a result I'm STILL on x-mas vacation. Kicks ass when you're an aetheist with catholic relatives. :mrgreen:

Pancakes

Post by Pancakes » Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:53 pm

Wow! That's insane! You've put a LOT of effort into these! :shock:

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Fri Jan 23, 2004 12:22 am

I love the Raditz image. It looks so... professional. The Nappa one is great too, but it would look better if you had all images done in one style.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Jan 23, 2004 12:27 am

I'm not attached to the Nappa one. There's really NO IMAGES of just Nappa by himself. Luckily, the Raditz one is an actual manga chapter title image, and was color-ized for daizenshuu one. I might just try to find a full-screen shot of Nappa and cut it out in Photoshop, myself...

SaiyaJedi

Post by SaiyaJedi » Fri Jan 23, 2004 1:33 am

VegettoEX wrote:Luckily, the Raditz one is an actual manga chapter title image, and was color-ized for daizenshuu one.
It's not that it was colorized for the daizenshuu... it's just that it was de-colorized for the tankoubon release.

It's back in color for the kanzenban version, though. :D
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Jan 23, 2004 1:45 am

SaiyaJedi wrote:It's not that it was colorized for the daizenshuu... it's just that it was de-colorized for the tankoubon release.
Dur... yeah... what Julian said ^^;;

Deus ex Machina

Post by Deus ex Machina » Fri Jan 23, 2004 3:21 am

More bios I say! I can't wait anymore :shock:

Dai
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dai » Fri Jan 23, 2004 3:00 pm

Fantastic job, EX! I already read the Raditz one, but the Nappa one is at least as good.

One thing, though... You said: '' Kuririn eventually takes out the remaining Saibaimen, throwing a giant blast at Nappa & Vegeta in the process ''

Didn't one Saibaman hide from Kuririn's attack, and was later destroyed by Piccolo when he tried to attack Gohan?

Other than that, looking forward to more! It's been a while since I've been able to read Dragon Ball info and enjoy it...
[url=http://www.projectafter.com]Project AFTER[/url]: Every fanfiction's worst nightmare.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Jan 23, 2004 3:07 pm

Dai wrote:Didn't one Saibaman hide from Kuririn's attack, and was later destroyed by Piccolo when he tried to attack Gohan?
Oh, wow.. not sure. I know that's how it happened in the anime, but I'm basing all this offa the manga. I skipped a few pages while writing it all, trying to do most from memory. Have to double-check... I'm sure I'm wrong.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Fri Jan 23, 2004 3:16 pm

EX: He's right. It happened that way in both. Krillin knew one person wasn't hit and, as if on cue, the remaining Saibaman attacked at Gohan who froze. Piccolo catches it by the striking arm, hurls it into the air and mouth blasts it to oblivion.

Meri
The Wife

Post by Meri » Fri Jan 23, 2004 3:27 pm

Man, after reading these, I'm not sure if I can write that Trunks bio, like you asked. I'm too intimidated now! :oops: These are nice and detailed, and I feel like I'm going to forget something. I guess I can always use my site's screencaps and info for reference.

I'm sure you're gonna have to write for a looooong time when it gets to the point when you'll be writing about major characters.

Only suggestion for current bio: change the Nappa pic, as someone else mentioned, and I told you days ago. :P