For those that watched the dub AND sub before reading manga:

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: For those that watched the dub AND sub before reading ma

Post by NitroEX » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:40 am

I basically hear the Ocean cast when reading the manga. It's more fun for me to imagine how they'd act out uncensored dialogue like that plus I have a close familiarity with their voices and inflections so it's easy for me to piece together an ideal performance in my head.

If I tried hearing the Japanese cast speaking in English it just wouldn't work, they'd end up sounding like foreign English speakers with Japanese accents. Nozawa would probably end up morphing into Rolf from Ed Edd n Eddy by the end of it.

Ree
Regular

Post by Ree » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:07 pm

I always seem to imagine the last voice i heard whether I like them or not.
Could be Harmony Gold, could be Funimation, could be Big Green, could be Ocean, could be Final Bout...
Badass Metabee avatar created by Endless-warr!

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:40 pm

NitroEX wrote:If I tried hearing the Japanese cast speaking in English it just wouldn't work, they'd end up sounding like foreign English speakers with Japanese accents. Nozawa would probably end up morphing into Rolf from Ed Edd n Eddy by the end of it.
Even further proof that Peter Kelamis and Masako Nozawa are one and the same!

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:07 am

Ok time to admit, I've only ever read the first volume of the manga. It was back in 2010 and if I recall correctly I imagined the old Funi cast for DB from 2001. I've since reread that same volume with the Kai cast (excluding Clinkenbeard as Goku) and Japanese cast.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:43 pm

I don't hear any voices when i read the manga. Am i doing it wrong? :(

Captain Space
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Captain Space » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:16 pm

Perhaps you're the only non-schizophrenic here.

(Okay but seriously different people think in different ways, you might just be more of a visual thinker.)
"Actually I didn’t know what Bulma’s real hair color was" --Toriyama

z_cherub
Beyond Newbie

Post by z_cherub » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:42 pm

Kuririn Fan wrote:I don't hear any voices when i read the manga. Am i doing it wrong? :(
He's a witch! Burn 'em !!

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:52 pm

Kuririn Fan wrote:I don't hear any voices when i read the manga. Am i doing it wrong? :(
It doesn't come naturally, it's something you have to force your mind into.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:22 pm

When I was reading the first few chapters of the Viz manga, i didn't automatically hear any voices, though perhaps that's because the way the characters speak doesn't quite match any version of the anime audio ("Wazzup?"). I have experienced this phenomenon for the Lord of the Rings books though. I know that's a different franchise, but the principle is the same.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:55 pm

Danfun64 wrote:When I was reading the first few chapters of the Viz manga, i didn't automatically hear any voices, though perhaps that's because the way the characters speak doesn't quite match any version of the anime audio ("Wazzup?"). I have experienced this phenomenon for the Lord of the Rings books though. I know that's a different franchise, but the principle is the same.
With books I don't think of voices like that. More so with comics.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:05 am

VegettoEX wrote:It's really difficult to explain.

More than anything else, it's the Japanese voices "speaking" some nebulous, formless, incomprehensible approximation of English. Since you can read and process text faster than you can speak it aloud (or hear someone else speak it), I think that's part of what contributes to there not really being "words" that I can make out. It's like it's just the raw tone of their voices slurring along as I read.
It's kind of like the original Star Fox on SNES when you put it that way.

My "voices" tend to be a mixture that's never really constant. It just sort of depends on my mood, I guess. Colleen Clinkenbeard might be talking to Ryo Horikawa and Mayumi Tanaka. Scott McNeil shows up later and has it out with Chris Ayers. Then, Lawrence Simpson finally shows up, but it's Chris Sabat who begs for Ryuusei Nakao to be defeated by a Saiyan. Peter Kelamis buries him and then screams like Masako Nozawa during the fight.

Off in the distance Chris Sabat, Terry Klassen, and Saffron Henderson watch the battle.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Quantum-Kakarrotto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Quantum-Kakarrotto » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:51 pm

The voices in my head while I read the manga tend to cast themselves. I watch a lot of anime besides Dragon Ball so I've heard these actors so much that no matter how they were portrayed in DB I can alter their performance to my preference. I actually started to keep a list.

Goku: The Goku voice in my head alternates from Ian Corlett to Sean Schemmel (with a slightly higher pitch voice) both combined with Masako Nozawa at times.

Vegeta: A kinda gruff and less raspy version of Brian Drummond's Zech Marquise with a hint of Ryo Horikawa for the elegant prince side.

Piccolo: Scott McNeil from Saiyan arc to Android Arc but once he's fused with Kami than it's Chris Sabat's Kai voice.

Gohan: Colleen Clinkenbeard from Saiyan to Cell Arc and then after the 7-year gap it's Brad Swaile as Gohan.

Kuririn: For some reason, it flip-flops from Sonny Strait to the Abridged voice.

Frieza: Chris Ayers and LittleKuriboh.

Even in Dragon Ball Minus, (Which I know isn't good but if given more than just One small chapter, I think It could have been something good.)

Bardock: For me, it's Sonny Strait and Masako Nozawa, just love both in the role.

Gine: Whenever I read for her, I always hear Cindy Robinson in the role for her. Some might know her from her portrayal of Kushina Uzumaki in the English version of Naruto.

Their are a lot more I could name but, I don't want to bore anyone with a huge list, so I'll leave it at this.

winnersproof

Post by winnersproof » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:15 pm

Whenever I read the manga it's some unholy mixture of the Kai Funi cast and DBZA with Masako Nozawa as the Son family. For characters that only appear in the pre-Z era I just make up a voice in my head. That's what happens when your only experience with the full story is through the manga.
VegettoEX wrote:It's completely blown out of proportion by fans who have never actually dealt with seeing Dragon Ball on a week-to-week basis before, are doing so in an era where the social media echo-chamber has never been more effective in regurgitating and parroting their own opinions back at them, have never seen something new for the first time in HD on a monitor six inches from their face, have no understanding of the animation industry, and see no irony at all in complaining about a product they have no legal right to even be watching in the first place.

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:44 am

I typically read the manga in Japanese, so usually the Japanese case IE Nozawa and co.

I vowed never to buy the US Manga until Viz put out an Uncut Release, and despite that hiccup with the first volume, those 3-in-1s LOOKED like they were finally gonna be it (until they suddenly weren't later on) so I picked up the first few of those and now... I find myself hearing the Kai cast.

That is to say, the FUNi cast, but when you hit a character that was recast in Kai (Gohan, Freeza, The Ginyus) it's always the new voice.

Once I switched to Japanese DB I never really looked back until Kai. Having a competent dub has made me start watching Kai and beyond DB Materials in English more often than not lately... it's like, holy crap, a GOOD dub?! I've seen this show so much in Japanese, that it's kinda refreshing watching it in English now that I can.
"FUNi should take [DBZ] out behind the woodshed, give it one last treat, then blow its f%#@$ng brains out before it attacks the baby again." ~Rocketman

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:18 am

I'm curious as to how people can "hear" Nozawa's Goku as they're reading a manga in English. :?
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Quantum-Kakarrotto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Quantum-Kakarrotto » Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:46 am

fadeddreams5 wrote:I'm curious as to how people can "hear" Nozawa's Goku as they're reading a manga in English. :?

I don't know about others, but if I ever hear Nozawa's Goku while I'm reading English, it's just basically like reading English subs, you hear the Japanese while reading the subtitles

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:06 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:I'm curious as to how people can "hear" Nozawa's Goku as they're reading a manga in English. :?
It doesn't have to be Nozawa, just an imaginary, hypothetical voice speaking English which happens to sound like Nozawa.

For instance, I've watched Game of Thrones in both Spanish and English. When read the books in English, the narrated parts were read by my natural voice, but I heard the characters' dialogue as the voices from the Spanish dub, speaking English with British accents.

It may not make much sense if you're not accustomed to reading/watching the very same stuff in two different languages, but it's the same principle: the mind associates the character's sound with a voice, even if that voice doesn't speak in the same language you're reading.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:42 pm

Hero wrote:Being a Funi dub fan, whenever I read the Viz manga I read it with the old dub voices talking. Though because of Kai I imagine Chris Ayres as Frieza and the more natural voices for Goku, Vegeta, Piccolo, Krillin, etc.

I still imagine old Funi Bulma and Gohan talking, though.
This is pretty much what I hear too.
I switch between Linda Young and Chris Ayres though despite not hearing Young's Freeza in quite a while

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:24 pm

I flip-flop between them, but some characters I don't really give a voice to, like kid Gohan for example. I can't explain why. When it comes to the Japanese voices, I hear them speak random gibberish Japanese that's supposed to be a translation of the English... or something like that.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: For those that watched the dub AND sub before reading manga:

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:52 am

It really depends on the mood I'm in, sometimes I want to hear the Japanese voices, other times I hear the Funi Kai or the Ocean cast.

When I read Goku I can flip flop between Nozawa, and Schemmel (I love both equally) although I sometimes imagine how Richard Ian Cox would sound in that role.

Piccolo for me is almost always Scott McNeil, but at times my brain switches to Furukawa or Sabat.

Vegeta is typically Sabat or Horikawa, but from the Saiyan to Android sagas I do imagine a lower pitched Drummond.

Frieza is always Ayres or Nakao, can't imagine anyone else in that role.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup: